PDA

View Full Version : Where does Steph's Finals performance rank over the last 20 years?

SouBeachTalents
06-17-2022, 03:15 PM
Since 2003, the only ones I think I would rank ahead of Curry would be

2006 Wade
2016 LeBron
2021 Giannis

I really thought about 2003 Duncan considering the overall burden he had to carry and his incredible impact on both sides of the floor, but his opponent was SO weak, I'd probably still go with Curry.

AlternativeAcc.
06-17-2022, 03:18 PM
2017 durant
2018 durant
Every lebron finals since 2012
Duncan
Kobe 2009
Wiggins 2022

Just to name a few

999Guy
06-17-2022, 03:27 PM
2020 Davis
16 LeBron
17 LeBron
14 LeBron
12 LeBron
05 Ginobili
03 Duncan
02 Shaq

Below them. Wade nor Bryant were better than Curry. Possibly on either end. Assuredly not on offense.

3ba11
06-17-2022, 03:40 PM
If Wiggins had matched Curry's scoring and was attracting similar defensive attention, while also destroying Tatum, then no one would consider Curry's performance that great because Wiggins was attracting similar attention and dominating.

It's specifically because Curry carried the scoring load (defeated maximum defensive attention) that this Finals ranks ahead of everyone's except 06' Wade, 09' Kobe, or 19' Kawhi

WhiteKyrie
06-17-2022, 03:42 PM
If Wiggins had outscored Tatum and destroyed him, then no one would consider Curry's performance that great.

It's specifically because Curry carried the scoring load (defeated maximum defensive attention) that this Finals ranks ahead of everyone's except 06' Wade, 09' Kobe, or 19' Kawhi

Damn solid logic, I actually agree with that.

meat
06-17-2022, 03:53 PM
Somewhere between 1 and 20. Who cares?

1987_Lakers
06-17-2022, 04:02 PM
There have been lots of great Finals performances even in the last decade. Hard to say.

3ba11
06-17-2022, 04:12 PM
There have been lots of great Finals performances even in the last decade. Hard to say.

How many guys defeated maximum defensive attention in the Finals (carried scoring load)???

Let's start there.... :confusedshrug:

Sulico
06-17-2022, 04:16 PM
I can't put 2003 Duncan ahead because it was against Nets

Same with 2009 Kobe because it was against Orlando Magic

2013 Lebron was outscored by Mario Chalmers in one game. Say what you want about Wiggins, but he's not Mario Chalmers.

2016 Lebron wasn't that much better than Kyrie, if at all.

2017-18 Same goes for Durant over Curry.

2019 Kawhi was good but we all know why he won.

So it ranks 3rd

2011 Dirk
2021 Giannis
2022 Curry

WhiteKyrie
06-17-2022, 04:24 PM

2013 Lebron was outscored by Mario Chalmers in one game. Say what you want about Wiggins, but he's not Mario Chalmers.

So it ranks 3rd

2011 Dirk
2021 Giannis
2022 Curry

While I agree with basically everything you said, except for not mentioning 2006 Dwyane Wade, who carried probably the biggest load out of all these guys. Against a quality opponent as well.

And in 2009, even if the Magic weren’t all time great, they were very good, but it would’ve been Boston if KG didn’t get injured … you’re totally disrespecting Kobe‘s positional matchup. He was being guarded by Michael Pietrus, and Courtney Lee who were both pretty good athletic defenders back in their day.

But then you go ahead and mention 2011 Dirk.

I’m gonna break it down you Dallas Mavericks/Dirk Stans. His 2011 finals was not that good. In fact he was quite absent in the series for much of it. It was actually Jason Terry that took the bull by the horns, and was killing it all offensively.

Even in game six in Miami, Dirk was putrid for the first 2 1/2 quarters of the game, and Jason Terry was carrying them offensively. Please stop putting Dirk Nowitzki in that group of dominant finals performances. He didn’t have a great series. Dallas collectively won the series as a good team, not a great or all-time great team.

But they mainly won because LeBron totally quit in the series, or got locked up by JJ Barea, super old Jason Kidd, super old Shawn Marion, or DeShawn Stevenson. His dramatic under performance is why Dallas won. That is literally the only reason.

There was a period in that series where is LeBron played like he had in the prior series against Chicago, Dallas looked like they could’ve got swept. Stop overrating it. It’s not an all time great Finals performance.

Even while losing, for the majority of the series, Dwyane Wade was by far and away the best player on the court for both teams. That’s including LeBron James and Dirk Nowitzki.

SouBeachTalents
06-17-2022, 04:25 PM
While I agree with basically everything you said, except for not mentioning 2006 Dwyane Wade, who carried probably the biggest load out of all these guys. Against a quality opponent as well.

And in 2009, you’re totally disrespecting Kobe‘s positional matchup. He was being guarded by Michael Pietrus, who is a pretty good athletic defender back in his day.

I’m gonna break it down you Dallas Mavericks/Dirk Stans. His 2011 finals was not that good. In fact he was quite absent in the series for much of it. It was actually Jason Terry that took the bull by the horns, and was killing it all offensively.

Even in game six in Miami, Dirk was putrid for the first 2 1/2 quarters of the game, and Jason Terry was carrying them offensively. Please stop putting Dirk Nowitzki in that group of dominant finals performances. He didn’t have a great series. Dallas collectively won the series as a good team, not a great or all-time great team.

But they mainly won because LeBron totally quit in the series, or got locked up by JJ Barea, super old Jason Kidd, super old Shawn Marion, or DeShawn Stevenson. His dramatic under performance is why Dallas won. That is literally the only reason.

There was a period in that series where is LeBron played like he had in the prior series against Chicago, Dallas looked like they could’ve got swept. Stop overrating it. It’s not an all time great Finals performance.

Even while losing, for the majority of the series, Dwyane Wade was by far and away the best player on the court for both teams. That’s including LeBron James and Dirk Nowitzki.
Lol, you beat me to it. I'll give him credit for how clutch he was throughout the series, but including 2011 Dirk at the top of any elite Finals list is ridiculous. He honestly wasn't even better than Wade in that series.

WhiteKyrie
06-17-2022, 04:34 PM
Lol, you beat me to it. I'll give him credit for how clutch he was throughout the series, but including 2011 Dirk at the top of any elite Finals list is ridiculous. He honestly wasn't even better than Wade in that series.

Obvious to anybody who actually watched that wasn’t biased or had a rooting interest.

Dirk had a great playoff run that season.

But even then, the overall rating of the beating of say the defending champion Lakers, they were on their last legs. Burnt out. Would’ve been 4 straight Finals runs had they made it. Lamar Odom was doing crack and candy out the back of his car, Andrew Bynum wasn’t doing anything, Paula Gasoft as he often was … was missing in action (probably because he found out his teammate, Shannon Brown was banging his wife or something like that if I remember correctly) and always was rather soft or not seen in big moments his entire career.

Kobe Bryant was getting up there in bball age and had tons of knee problems after three consecutive deep playoff runs in combination with Olympics in his 30s.

Dirk’s 2011 run and definitely not his Finals was near as magical or majestic as people wanna make it out to be.

And like I said, if anybody watched the actual series, Dwyane Wade was by far and away the best player, on both sides of the floor. He was amazing. It was going to be his second finals mvp easily.

If LeBron didn’t quit, or pout because Wade was out playing him in his second finals, or because he got locked up, Miami would’ve won the 2011 finals.

Also, if Dirk and that Dallas team was so dominant, where did they go the immediate next season?

The true test of an all-time great team and champion, is being able to defend it. Not being a vulture or intermediate champion, like the San Antonio Spurs “Dynasty” :oldlol:, who would win every few years when a more dominant team would hit their breaking point.

FultzNationRISE
06-17-2022, 04:36 PM
It wasn't any kind of epic individual performance for the ages, but Curry played at a high level for the most part and was obviously an important part of his team getting the W.

And that's... okay. Everything doesn't always have to be about the hero narrative.

WhiteKyrie
06-17-2022, 04:45 PM
It wasn't any kind of epic individual performance for the ages, but Curry played at a high level for the most part and was obviously an important part of his team getting the W.

And that's... okay. Everything doesn't always have to be about the hero narrative.
Agreed.

But when people are spinning it like Dirk Nowitzki had an all-time great 2011 finals performance, that’s categorically false.

Their best player offensively who led the comeback against Miami in the entire series, it was actually Jason Terry.

Dirk - 26 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 apg on 42%
Jet - 18 ppg on 49%

D-Wade - 27 ppg, 7 rpg, 5 apg, 2 spg, 2 bpg on 55%

And then he’s comparing 2011 Dirk to …

2021 Giannis - 35 ppg, 13 rpg, 5 apg, 2 bpg on 62%

2022 Curry - 31 ppg, 6 rpg, 5 apg, 2 spg on 48%

Like come on bro. Dirk doesn’t belong in this conversation whatsoever. In his one finals victory he got outplayed by somebody else on the opposing team.

Dirk has already been surpassed as the Mavericks franchises greatest player. Let’s stop bringing him into these discussions.

Axe
06-17-2022, 04:49 PM

So it ranks 3rd

2011 Dirk
2021 Giannis
2022 Curry
Lol if you're factoring them being outscored in some games, then 2022 isn't an exception to this either.

FultzNationRISE
06-17-2022, 04:56 PM
Agreed.

But when people are spinning it like Dirk Nowitzki had an all-time great 2011 finals performance, that’s categorically false.

Their best player offensively who led the comeback against Miami in the entire series, it was actually Jason Terry.

Dirk - 26 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 apg on 42%
Jet - 18 ppg on 49%

D-Wade - 27 ppg, 7 rpg, 5 apg, 2 spg, 2 bpg on 55%

And then he’s comparing 2011 Dirk to …

2021 Giannis - 35 ppg, 13 rpg, 5 apg, 2 bpg on 62%

2022 Curry - 31 ppg, 6 rpg, 5 apg, 2 spg on 48%

Like come on bro. Dirk doesn’t belong in this conversation whatsoever. In his one finals victory he got outplayed by somebody else on the opposing team.

Dirk has already been surpassed as the Mavericks franchises greatest player. Let’s stop bringing him into these discussions.

Well my response wasn't related in any way to the Dirk discussion. I hadn't even read that part of the thread yet.

But in any case, yes, I remember expressing at the time that Terry deserved some kind of co-FMVP credit. But that's obviously not the way these awards are set up, and voters are inclined toward fulfilling narratives above anything else. So it is what it is.

Shooter
06-17-2022, 04:57 PM
Just on Game Score alone and only looking at the last ten years he was 10th :lol

Manny98
06-17-2022, 07:05 PM
1. 16 LeBron
2. 06 Wade
3. 21 Giannis
4. 22 Curry
5. 17 Curry

Would be my top 5 off the top of my head
If we're including performances in losses then 17 LeBron would be right up there

zeerghit
06-18-2022, 01:07 AM
2016 lebron thats it

TheGoatest
06-18-2022, 01:34 AM
About the same as 2019 Kawhi.
Pretty good, but not historically great.
Had some great performances, but also had an all-time "I played like shit, but my team still won" performance. Just like he did in the 2018 finals.
Overall, he had a great scoring series, but also averaged 5.0 assists as the team's starting superstar point guard.

Sulico
06-18-2022, 01:41 AM

And in 2009, even if the Magic weren’t all time great, they were very good, but it would’ve been Boston if KG didn’t get injured … you’re totally disrespecting Kobe‘s positional matchup. He was being guarded by Michael Pietrus, and Courtney Lee who were both pretty good athletic defenders back in their day.

I can't put 2006 D Wade there because that series didn't seem fair. And so many people shared my suspicions. On paper that was a great performance by Wade, but not for me.

Kobe numbers in 2009 finals were great, but I can't put it on a list. Everybody and their mommas knew who's winning that finals. How can it be great if we already know who wins?

2011 Dirk was special. Not only nobody gave Dallas a chance, his plays made this thing happen. Without Dirk's magic in games 2 and 4 Dallas would've been swept.

I don't care about PPG on average in 7 games series. In 2018 finals Stephen Curry had 3 games better than Durant, and had 1 terrible game in wich Durant was much MUCH better. If they were going against each other it would be 3-1 in favour of Curry. But because of that one game, KD's numbers per game were better and he got the MVP. So I put very little stock in numbers per game.

DidUSaySomethin
06-18-2022, 02:55 AM

LeBron was far better than Kyrie. Terry's finals '11 performance was closer to Dirk than Kyrie was to LeBron yet you ranked Dirk first.

Lebron23
06-18-2022, 03:26 AM
LeBron was far better than Kyrie. Terry's finals '11 performance was closer to Dirk than Kyrie was to LeBron yet you ranked Dirk first.

That guy is getting on my nerves

Sulico
06-18-2022, 04:55 AM

1st game
Lebron 32 PTS / +24
Kyrie 30 PTS / +24

2nd game
Lebron 41 / +13
Kyrie 41 / +20

3rd game
Lebron 41 / +26
Kyrie 23 / +25

4th game
Lebron 27 / +4
Kyrie 26 / +10

And Kyrie hit that shot. I would say Lebron was better, but FAR better?

And yes, Terry was somewhat close to Dirk, I agree, but without THE layup and 4th game 4th quarter from Dirk, DAL gets swept, which would be what everyone expected. But Dirk said "No!" and kept the series 2-2. That totaly swung the momentum and DAL cruised to victory.

Same like this year Curry took game 4 by himself and didn't let BOS take 3-1 lead, and the rest is history.

TheGoatest
06-18-2022, 05:53 AM
Same like this year Curry took game 4 by himself and didn't let BOS take 3-1 lead, and the rest is history.

And then he followed it up by trying to lose game 5 by himself to let BOS take a 3-2 lead, but Curry's teammates didn't allow it.

Sulico
06-18-2022, 06:17 AM
And then he followed it up by trying to lose game 5 by himself to let BOS take a 3-2 lead, but Curry's teammates didn't allow it.

I don't know why you do this, but that just simply not true.

After game 4 BOS decided to play Steph differently, glued a defender to him and didn't drop on pick'n'rolls. This limited Curry, plus he missed some shots, but this opened up the floor for his teammates. Thats why he had +15, most on the starting lineup.

Johnny32
06-18-2022, 06:21 AM
Just on Game Score alone and only looking at the last ten years he was 10th :lol

LeOuch.

TheGoatest
06-18-2022, 06:23 AM
I don't know why you do this, but that just simply not true.

After game 4 BOS decided to play Steph differently, glued a defender to him and didn't drop on pick'n'rolls. This limited Curry, plus he missed some shots, but this opened up the floor for his teammates. Thats why he had +15, most on the starting lineup.

Would you say that Andrew Wiggins (+20) and Kevon Looney (+21) had a better game 4 than Curry (+11) then?
Let me guess? Probably not. Instead, you'll carry on using the +/- at your leisure, if it happens to work in your favor.

Wiggins
Klay
Dray
Payton
Poole

all had a better game 5 than Curry.

Johnny32
06-18-2022, 06:28 AM
1st game
Lebron 32 PTS / +24
Kyrie 30 PTS / +24

2nd game
Lebron 41 / +13
Kyrie 41 / +20

3rd game
Lebron 41 / +26
Kyrie 23 / +25

4th game
Lebron 27 / +4
Kyrie 26 / +10

And Kyrie hit that shot. I would say Lebron was better, but FAR better?

And yes, Terry was somewhat close to Dirk, I agree, but without THE layup and 4th game 4th quarter from Dirk, DAL gets swept, which would be what everyone expected. But Dirk said "No!" and kept the series 2-2. That totaly swung the momentum and DAL cruised to victory.

there's two sides to the ball, window licker. lebron dominated the series on both ends.

Sulico
06-18-2022, 06:39 AM
Would you say that Andrew Wiggins (+20) and Kevon Looney (+21) had a better game 4 than Curry (+11) then?
Let me guess? Probably not. Instead, you'll carry on using the +/- at your leisure, if it happens to work in your favor.

Wiggins
Klay
Dray
Payton
Poole

all had a better game 5 than Curry.

No, I wouldn't say they had better game 4 than Curry. Also I wouldn't say that Wiggins tried to loose game 4 by himself.

No, Wiggins is the only guy that arguably had better game 5 than Curry. Curry played great in both games.

He is still that boy from Davidson that can stand on his half and score 0 points if he's guarded by 2 players and his team is winning. And thats why I like him as a player. In an era of Lebrons, Kobes and KDs, he is that one unselfish superstar that cares only about winning.

TheGoatest
06-18-2022, 07:16 AM
No, I wouldn't say they had better game 4 than Curry. Also I wouldn't say that Wiggins tried to loose game 4 by himself.

No, Wiggins is the only guy that arguably had better game 5 than Curry. Curry played great in both games.

He is still that boy from Davidson that can stand on his half and score 0 points if he's guarded by 2 players and his team is winning. And thats why I like him as a player. In an era of Lebrons, Kobes and KDs, he is that one unselfish superstar that cares only about winning.

You wouldn't say that Wiggins tried to lose game 4 because it's not accurate.
Wiggins played great in both games (4 and 5). Curry played like shit in game 5.
Curry was not "standing on his half while being guarded by 2 players" in game 5. He shot the ball plenty of times and bricked nearly 70% of those shots.

Sulico
06-18-2022, 07:22 AM
You wouldn't say that Wiggins tried to lose game 4 because it's not accurate.
Wiggins played great in both games (4 and 5). Curry played like shit in game 5.
Curry was not "standing on his half while being guarded by 2 players" in game 5. He shot the ball plenty of times and bricked nearly 70% of those shots.

Well, maybe MIN should trade back for Wiggins then. He will win a lot of championships there without some bum like Steph dragging him down.

TheGoatest
06-18-2022, 07:38 AM
Well, maybe MIN should trade back for Wiggins then. He will win a lot of championships there without some bum like Steph dragging him down.

What does that have to do with anything? You can be stuck on a crappy franchise for many years, and you can suck yourself for many seasons before you discover your value.
Steph himself wasn't even an all-star until his 5th season, you know.

tpols
06-18-2022, 08:21 AM
If Wiggins had matched Curry's scoring and was attracting similar defensive attention, while also destroying Tatum, then no one would consider Curry's performance that great because Wiggins was attracting similar attention and dominating.

This. Except Curry didn't need extreme ref help like Wade. Curry shot 28 FTs in this Finals compared to Wades 97 in the 2006 Finals. Its crazy how disrespected he is by the refs compared to other superstars.

tpols
06-18-2022, 08:29 AM

Dirk wasn't as efficient in the Finals but he was literally playing 1v3. As poor as Currys help played offensively defenses still had to give attention to Klay Wiggins and Poole. Meanwhile Dallas starting lineup outside Dirk was garbage offensively ~ old Marion, old Kidd, deshawn stevenson, and Chandler. So he really had the sink thrown at him.

Look what the Heat did to your boy MVP Derrick Rose. He shit the bed 1000x harder. Its hard to win 1v3 vs a super team. Dirks 4th quarter heroics eliminate any possibility to say wade was better when wade was choking in crunch time just as bad as LeBron and he was facing way less defensive attention than Dirk. Dallas was focused on LeBron first and foremost defensively in that series.