PDA

View Full Version : Warriors went from WORST team in the league (2020) to champs in two years.

Mr. Jabbar
06-18-2022, 12:00 AM
Has something like this been done before?

Stephonit
06-18-2022, 12:03 AM
Curry greatest floor raiser.

Axe
06-18-2022, 12:15 AM
Celtics in 2008. Were at the bottom in the eastern conference during the previous year.

Spurs m8
06-18-2022, 01:00 AM
They weren't the worst team in the league.

They got injured and tanked.

Its that simple

Nilocon165
06-18-2022, 01:23 AM
Lebron

bdonovan
06-18-2022, 01:28 AM
Just as suprising was going from last year where Warriors did not make the playoffs (lost the play-in game) to this year, winning the championship - with almost exactly the same roster. 2 years ago team was depleted through injuries- both Klay and Steph missed the year (Steph played only a handful of games). But a year ago- they had Wiggins, Poole, Steph was healthy. This year they added Klay but anyone who's watched Klay post-injuries knows he's not the reason for the difference.

It's Steph/Warriors integrating Wiggins to the point he understands his role and is thriving. And for Poole to emulate Steph's ability to drive. The delta in performance of '21 Warriors (Champions) vs '20 Warriors (failed to make playoffs) is the best argument against the idea that you can simply evaluate the players on the team and based on their ability, decide how good they are. The "Sum of their Parts" school of thought with NBA teams doesn't work.

Axe
06-18-2022, 01:46 AM
Just as suprising was going from last year where Warriors did not make the playoffs (lost the play-in game) to this year, winning the championship - with almost exactly the same roster. 2 years ago team was depleted through injuries- both Klay and Steph missed the year (Steph played only a handful of games). But a year ago- they had Wiggins, Poole, Steph was healthy. This year they added Klay but anyone who's watched Klay post-injuries knows he's not the reason for the difference.

It's Steph/Warriors integrating Wiggins to the point he understands his role and is thriving. And for Poole to emulate Steph's ability to drive. The delta in performance of '21 Warriors (Champions) vs '20 Warriors (failed to make playoffs) is the best argument against the idea that you can simply evaluate the players on the team and based on their ability, decide how good they are. The "Sum of their Parts" school of thought with NBA teams doesn't work.
Lol last year i heard it was the fault of bazemore, wiseman and oubre jr. as to why the initially 8th seed warriors got bounced in the play ins aka losers bracket against teams like the kong-led lakers and mvp-morant driven grizzlies. Or was making the playoffs just too much for them when two major players of the main core in klay and iggy were missing in their lineup last season? Too me, it seems more of the latter.. But despite that, i believe the two young guns and lowkey veteran would have been enough tho only if they were properly elevated during the time of their services.

Shooter
06-18-2022, 01:49 AM
Heat: 2010 to 2012
Cavs: 2014 to 2016
Lakers: 2018 to 2020

LeGoat

Lebron23
06-18-2022, 01:58 AM
They weren't the worst team in the league.

They got injured and tanked.

Its that simple

Just like the San Antonio Spurs in 1996-97

bdonovan
06-18-2022, 03:23 AM
Lol last year i heard it was the fault of bazemore, wiseman and oubre jr. as to why the initially 8th seed warriors got bounced in the play ins aka losers bracket against teams like the kong-led lakers and mvp-morant driven grizzlies. Or was making the playoffs just too much for them when two major players of the main core in klay and iggy were missing in their lineup last season? Too me, it seems more of the latter.. But despite that, i believe the two young guns and lowkey veteran would have been enough tho only if they were properly elevated during the time of their services.

Hard to imagine Bazemore and Wiseman had that much impact as they were bench players. Wiseman was injured for more than half the season and only played ~20 min/game otherwise. Never understood the rap on Bazemore as he was also a bench player; and shot at ~40% from 3. Iguodala has also been a non-factor for a long time. Oubre is a better explanation as he was a starter and clearly did not fit the Warriors team-first offense or understand his role.

Curry's motion offense takes a little while to get used to. But it eventually improves players. Wiggins had an EFG average of ~0.46% in Minnesota; and now a ~0.54%. Playing within the system, if you do it, leads to better shot opportunities.

Johnny32
06-18-2022, 06:31 AM
well klay was out and curry got hurt in gm 5 of the reg season? lol wtf.

pandiani17
06-18-2022, 07:17 AM
As other posters have pointed out, you can't say the 2020 Warriors were the worst team in the league, as their best players were out sidelined for almost all season. Otherwise, they would have been a top-5 team in the league. And yes, this has been done before. Off the top of my head I can say:

-Spurs 1997-1999
-Celtics 2006-2008
-Cavs 2014-2016

And the Pistons were quite a bad team in 2001 and they were celebrating the ring in 2004. I think some posters in this forum think that NBA started ten years ago or something like that.

Axe
06-18-2022, 07:56 AM
Hard to imagine Bazemore and Wiseman had that much impact as they were bench players. Wiseman was injured for more than half the season and only played ~20 min/game otherwise. Never understood the rap on Bazemore as he was also a bench player; and shot at ~40% from 3. Iguodala has also been a non-factor for a long time. Oubre is a better explanation as he was a starter and clearly did not fit the Warriors team-first offense or understand his role.

Curry's motion offense takes a little while to get used to. But it eventually improves players. Wiggins had an EFG average of ~0.46% in Minnesota; and now a ~0.54%. Playing within the system, if you do it, leads to better shot opportunities.
Idk but it didn't stop them from winning 39 games en route to initially garnering the 8th seed last season, with james wiseman as their 2nd overall pick whom they got due to winning 15 games only in the 2020 covid season. There were also some games rt in which kelly oubre jr. outscored his 1st option stephen curry and they won while the latter outscoring the rest of his teammates resulted into some interesting losses. Although after the season and when he ended up moving to charlotte, oubre jr. admitted that he's not a fan of being reduced and limited to a screensetting role while he was playing for the team. Only bazemore expressed some regrets after leaving. He thought he'd get a free ring with the lakers, only to miss the playoffs again for the third-straight time in this decade. Meanwhile, i only brought up iggy's name because he was enjoying some two playoff trips (one that even saw him go to the finals for the sixth-straight time) with another team, while the dubs temporarily wallowed in mediocrity during his absence. Plus if you take a look at his career history, he's a guy who's never missed the playoffs for more than a decade already.

bison
06-18-2022, 01:05 PM
The Dingo system.

ShawkFactory
06-18-2022, 01:10 PM
Has something like this been done before?

Yes

Lakers Legend#32
06-18-2022, 05:24 PM
The Lakers will next year.

MrFonzworth
06-18-2022, 06:15 PM
The Wiseman effect:applause: