PDA

View Full Version : According to this guy, Muhammad Ali Changed Sports for the WORSE.

1987_Lakers
06-18-2022, 02:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHQkxs97aM

Thoughts?

red1
06-18-2022, 02:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHQkxs97aM

Thoughts?

I love Thomas Sowell. I have one of his books on my desk right in front of me, right now. I know his story like the back of my hand.

He admits himself that he got lucky and had a life path that allowed him to escape pain and persecution. Which was very much the norm back then in the 60's. That's an undeniable fact.

Muhammad Ali was a hero and a real man.

this always makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LPddiQXD9c

FKAri
06-18-2022, 04:07 PM
It's not Ali. He was just the first. You can blame capitalism if you are so inclined.

Money interferes with competitive integrity in every sport. All sports are reduced to a money making competition. But boxing has an additional problem. The public is far more interested in the spectacle than the competition so that further moves away from the sport's natural incentives. It was inevitable that a charismatic superstar with a loud mouth was going to clean house.

You can see it to a lesser extent in basketball. Fans would pay more money to see Vince Carter over Tim Duncan. There's a reason Tim Duncan isn't the same brand as Kobe even though as a basketball player he's right there.

FultzNationRISE
06-18-2022, 04:52 PM
It's not Ali. He was just the first. You can blame capitalism if you are so inclined.

Money interferes with competitive integrity in every sport. All sports are reduced to a money making competition. But boxing has an additional problem. The public is far more interested in the spectacle than the competition so that further moves away from the sport's natural incentives. It was inevitable that a charismatic superstar with a loud mouth was going to clean house.

You can see it to a lesser extent in basketball. Fans would pay more money to see Vince Carter over Tim Duncan. There's a reason Tim Duncan isn't the same brand as Kobe even though as a basketball player he's right there.

This is basically correct.

You could say the same of Jerry Springer and the denigration of television programming. Sure, his program may have started the trend, but it was inevitable someone would start it eventually as soon as the first person realized there was a market for it.

The only way to prevent such degradation is to prohibit the enabling platforms, which opens up an entirely different can of worms.

Lakers Legend#32
06-18-2022, 05:22 PM
Thomas Sowell always wishes he was born white.

fsvr54
06-18-2022, 07:50 PM
Sowell is one of the great thinker of out time.

mr4speed
06-18-2022, 09:01 PM

You could say the same of Jerry Springer and the denigration of television programming. Sure, his program may have started the trend, but it was inevitable someone would start it eventually as soon as the first person realized there was a market for it.

The only way to prevent such degradation is to prohibit the enabling platforms, which opens up an entirely different can of worms.

Great post!!

Full Court
06-18-2022, 09:09 PM

Agreed. He was a great man and a true intellectual.

MrFonzworth
06-18-2022, 09:14 PM

Agreed. He's up there with FULTZNATIONRISE/JSTERN

insight
06-18-2022, 11:46 PM

Based on what? He is a man of color who desires the acceptance and approval of white people. Ali was a man of tremedous decipline and intergrity and faith. What has Sowell done of significance other than attempt to tear down other people of color?
Even his history of boxing is corny, why start with Joe instead of Jack Johnson? I guess it didn't into his narrative.

Full Court
06-18-2022, 11:48 PM
Based on what? He is a man of color who desires the acceptance and approval of white people. Ali was a man of tremedous decipline and intergrity and faith. What has Sowell done of significance other than attempt to tear down other people of color?
Even his history of boxing is corny, why start with Joe instead of Jack Johnson? I guess it didn't into his narrative.

You sound racist. So because Sowell actually thought for himself instead of buckling to the pressure of how a black man is "supposed" to think, you're going to disparage him? The man was economically brilliant.

red1
06-18-2022, 11:57 PM
sowell was raised by women and then went into the military

he admits that he got lucky and escaped a lot of the BS that muhammad ali spoke up against

ali wasn't a liberal or a race warrior... this is all modern shit... he was a man of integrity that was trying to do the right thing at all stages of his life...

and history proved him right - that vietnam war was a ****ing disaster.

red1
06-19-2022, 12:00 AM
I would never go to war and sacrifice myself for a cause that I don't believe in.

that shit is common sense.

iamgine
06-19-2022, 12:10 AM
The Max Schmelling thing is quite eye opening for many people. We tend to automatically think racists hates other races. This is simply not true. Just because you view other race as inferior doesn't mean you hate them or want to enslave them.

I view down syndrome people as inferior but I don't hate them and even tend to want to help them.

insight
06-19-2022, 12:10 AM
You sound racist. So because Sowell actually thought for himself instead of buckling to the pressure of how a black man is "supposed" to think, you're going to disparage him? The man was economically brilliant.

Racism is predudice based on race or ethnic group. You are throwing around words that you don't know thier meaning. Sowell is a cornball, if you want to study real free thinkers, look at James Balwin, he was a TRUE academic.

red1
06-19-2022, 12:17 AM
The Max Schmelling thing is quite eye opening for many people. We tend to automatically think racists hates other races. This is simply not true. Just because you view other race as inferior doesn't mean you hate them or want to enslave them.

I view down syndrome people as inferior but I don't hate them and even tend to want to help them.

I really respect that about max schmeling. a gesture like that would have gone a long way back then during the height of nazism.

people need to do what they need to do to make themselves feel better. just like you need to rationalize what you need to rationalize to make yourself feel better.

you're not max schmeling my guy. you never knocked anyone out. :oldlol:

insight
06-19-2022, 12:20 AM

It's still based on a LIE! It has been scientifically proven all races on earth originated black people in africa. The DNA difference between all humans of all races is 0.1 percent.

red1
06-19-2022, 12:28 AM
It's still based on a LIE! It has been scientifically proven all races on earth originated black people in africa. The DNA difference between all humans of all races is 0.1 percent.

nazism and white supremacy is the biggest joke on earth... all of the IQ tests and BS have been disproven rigorously...

the highest earning ethnic group in the US is the nigerian immigrant class - yeah they make more money than the so-called money-grubbing jews (actually false, they valued education in their culture) and the old guard original anglo-saxon whites aka the first immigrants that landed in the americas...

red1
06-19-2022, 12:31 AM
giannis' people are the highest earning ethnic group in the US :roll:

stand-up my africans LOL

1987_Lakers
06-19-2022, 03:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6b5L9IxoUw

tpols
06-19-2022, 04:52 PM
I would suppose a lot of the great African American boxers before Ali had to stay in their lane or risk a mob if they acted too cocky. The 60s was the civil rights era so Ali took full advantage of that.

The main thing I don't like about Ali's trash talk is he used to go at Joe Frazier for his poor background and basically call him an ape. He acted just like the white oppresors he complained about.

tpols
06-19-2022, 05:00 PM
nazism and white supremacy is the biggest joke on earth... all of the IQ tests and BS have been disproven rigorously...

the highest earning ethnic group in the US is the nigerian immigrant class - yeah they make more money than the so-called money-grubbing jews (actually false, they valued education in their culture) and the old guard original anglo-saxon whites aka the first immigrants that landed in the americas...

The Nigerian immigrant class definitely doesn't **** with all the guys living in all the inner city hoods. They despise that culture.

Round Mound
06-21-2022, 09:35 PM
Ali probably invented trash talking in sports.

Full Court
06-21-2022, 09:47 PM
Racism is predudice based on race or ethnic group. You are throwing around words that you don't know thier meaning. Sowell is a cornball, if you want to study real free thinkers, look at James Balwin, he was a TRUE academic.

Apparently you don't comprehend my point then. You accused him of adopting views solely to be "accepted" by white people, thus implying that black people are obligated to think a certain way. That's clearly racism -prejudiced based on a race.

FultzNationRISE
06-21-2022, 09:53 PM
The Nigerian immigrant class definitely doesn't **** with all the guys living in all the inner city hoods. They despise that culture.

That tends to be true of all legal-immigrant cultures. Nobody jumps thru all those hoops needed to get documents, just to get here and head straight for the bottom. People that come here do it for a reason. It’s the people born here who tend to have less drive.

But it goes both ways. The immigrants who come to the USA tend to have their shit together, but the ‘ordinary folks’ back in those countries they came from are mostly a mess. It’s called the “brain drain” effect, where talented people tend to move to where theres more security and opportunity, leaving something of a genetic vacuum behind.

Of course we can always manufacture a crisis if we wanna shift those ordinary folk around geographically for whatever reason.

Not that we would ever do that.....

Bawkish
06-21-2022, 11:38 PM
I would suppose a lot of the great African American boxers before Ali had to stay in their lane or risk a mob if they acted too cocky. The 60s was the civil rights era so Ali took full advantage of that.

The main thing I don't like about Ali's trash talk is he used to go at Joe Frazier for his poor background and basically call him an ape. He acted just like the white oppresors he complained about.

And up until his death, Joe still never forgave Ali

Full Court
06-22-2022, 06:54 AM
And up until his death, Joe still never forgave Ali

Can't blame him.

insight
06-22-2022, 01:34 PM
Apparently you don't comprehend my point then. You accused him of adopting views solely to be "accepted" by white people, thus implying that black people are obligated to think a certain way. That's clearly racism -prejudiced based on a race.

I never implyed black people are obligated to think a certain way, black people have never been homegious thinkers. The REAL thinkers of our time like Booker T Washington and WEB Dubois, Malcom X, Martin Luther King, Marcus Garvey, and many others had different philosophies in pursuit of the advancement of African Americans. Thomas Sowell detribes are not intended to advance African Africans, it decined to appease a white audience and deflect from the true racial inequalities that have been present in the country since it's inception.
99% of All Americans are ignorant of this countries history, Thomas Sowell appeals to this demographic by proposing African Americans struggles are all shelf inflicted and minimizing the structural racism bult into the fabric of the country.
The MOB controlled many of the sporting events during the Joe Lewis era, segration was in full swing Joe Lewis could not even use the same restroom or go to the same restaraurants as his white counter parts but Sowell want you to believe this was the utopian period of boxing.

He is a cornball and I would say that no matter once race he was.

FultzNationRISE
06-22-2022, 02:14 PM
I never implyed black people are obligated to think a certain way, black people have never been homegious thinkers. The REAL thinkers of our time like Booker T Washington and WEB Dubois, Malcom X, Martin Luther King, Marcus Garvey, and many others had different philosophies in pursuit of the advancement of African Americans. Thomas Sowell detribes are not intended to advance African Africans, it decined to appease a white audience and deflect from the true racial inequalities that have been present in the country since it's inception.
99% of All Americans are ignorant of this countries history, Thomas Sowell appeals to this demographic by proposing African Americans struggles are all shelf inflicted and minimizing the structural racism bult into the fabric of the country.
The MOB controlled many of the sporting events during the Joe Lewis era, segration was in full swing Joe Lewis could not even use the same restroom or go to the same restaraurants as his white counter parts but Sowell want you to believe this was the utopian period of boxing.

He is a cornball and I would say that no matter once race he was.

Well I think the point has to be made that rights and tolerances have expanded dramatically over the decades, yet black communities have not caught up proportionately to that expansion. In many ways theyve REGRESSED.

Which seems to lead to either of two possible inferences:

Either government policies of integration, affirmative action and so on, and the predominantly democrat/left wing politicians who advance them, have been been damaging to the black cause overall.

OR there is some inherent disinterest in the community writ large in pursuing careers in office work, science, technology and other stable, salaried positions.

It’s going on 70 years now since the Civil Rights revolution, and black and white cultures and incomes have DIVERGED in that time.

So.

Either it’s calculated by the people pretending to help... or it’s a natural sequence of events. No?

But, common people, who are the majority in any group, are scared to speak up against the dogma and potentially be laughed at or cancelled, and therefore nobody questions the elephant in the room, even as it squats down on most of them and shits in their faces.

Because if you ARE a sucker, you will GET suckered.

Fact if life.

Hey Yo
06-22-2022, 06:24 PM

Morton Downey jr. In the late 80's was the pioneer of the trash show before Jerry.

Look him up if you've never seen. He'd chain smoke like a dozen cigs during the show.

insight
06-23-2022, 12:11 AM
Well I think the point has to be made that rights and tolerances have expanded dramatically over the decades, yet black communities have not caught up proportionately to that expansion. In many ways theyve REGRESSED.

Which seems to lead to either of two possible inferences:

Either government policies of integration, affirmative action and so on, and the predominantly democrat/left wing politicians who advance them, have been been damaging to the black cause overall.

OR there is some inherent disinterest in the community writ large in pursuing careers in office work, science, technology and other stable, salaried positions.

It’s going on 70 years now since the Civil Rights revolution, and black and white cultures and incomes have DIVERGED in that time.

So.

Either it’s calculated by the people pretending to help... or it’s a natural sequence of events. No?

But, common people, who are the majority in any group, are scared to speak up against the dogma and potentially be laughed at or cancelled, and therefore nobody questions the elephant in the room, even as it squats down on most of them and shits in their faces.

Because if you ARE a sucker, you will GET suckered.

Fact if life.

I don't think you can measure black progress without understanding Americas caste system, it is the very reason why we needed the civil rights act of 1964. If you are not familar with it Isabel Wilkerson has an excellent book that explains America's 'Caste' System. If you believe either party is a advocate of the black community you are sadly mistaken. Democrat Lydon B Johnson allowed Hoover and The FBI to spy, lie and participate in the assasinations of Fred Hampton and Martin Luther King.
Do you know what the main asset of wealth is? It's property ownership, which is how most american have wealth. Over half the countries land was giving away with the Homestead act, while black were denied federal loans well into the 1990s that were deemed white areas of real estate.

FultzNationRISE
06-23-2022, 01:19 AM
I don't think you can measure black progress without understanding Americas caste system, it is the very reason why we needed the civil rights act of 1964. If you are not familar with it Isabel Wilkerson has an excellent book that explains America's 'Caste' System. If you believe either party is a advocate of the black community you are sadly mistaken. Democrat Lydon B Johnson allowed Hoover and The FBI to spy, lie and participate in the assasinations of Fred Hampton and Martin Luther King.
Do you know what the main asset of wealth is? It's property ownership, which is how most american have wealth. Over half the countries land was giving away with the Homestead act, while black were denied federal loans well into the 1990s that were deemed white areas of real estate.

Ok, so.... are you expecting anything to change? If so, how?

insight
06-23-2022, 08:06 AM
Ok, so.... are you expecting anything to change? If so, how?

Things are changing, some things are getting better and some things are deterorating. I do believe the majoirty of the solutions lie within the black community self accountabilty is an important component in advancing things forward. I think a big component is education, each child needs to know entire history of this country and understand they are an active participant in moving their race and country forward.
It is very complicated because on top of the caste system, there is income inequality that affect every american. The wealthest 10% own 89% of the stocks. The top 1% own 32% of the countries wealth. The recent woes of this country can be attributed to a shrinking middle class and American of all racial groups feeling the system is rigged.

Another component is teaching the truth about American history. Most people don't understand how this country was created, the truth about slavery and what caused the civil war.
If the American experiment is going to survive we need to teach each child the constitution is a living document but we have alway fallen short of the ideals. It is up to all of us to create a more perfect union. I have a few questions for you.
Why is it OK in America to fly the confederate flag, name schools after confederate generals, and showcase confederate status in washington, court rooms and cities across the south America? Do you see statues of Hitler and the 3rd Reich in Germany?

Why do American accept a incarceration rate that is 6X higher other developed countries?

If racial and income inequality does not exist why does so few people own the majority of the wealth in America?

PP34Deuce
06-23-2022, 08:59 AM
Ali was diff. Guy left his prime for what he believed in..came back and had huge fights.

He always could make sense with his points. He did his homework

PP34Deuce
06-23-2022, 09:02 AM
Things are changing, some things are getting better and some things are deterorating. I do believe the majoirty of the solutions lie within the black community self accountabilty is an important component in advancing things forward. I think a big component is education, each child needs to know entire history of this country and understand they are an active participant in moving their race and country forward.
It is very complicated because on top of the caste system, there is income inequality that affect every american. The wealthest 10% own 89% of the stocks. The top 1% own 32% of the countries wealth. The recent woes of this country can be attributed to a shrinking middle class and American of all racial groups feeling the system is rigged.

Another component is teaching the truth about American history. Most people don't understand how this country was created, the truth about slavery and what caused the civil war.
If the American experiment is going to survive we need to teach each child the constitution is a living document but we have alway fallen short of the ideals. It is up to all of us to create a more perfect union. I have a few questions for you.
Why is it OK in America to fly the confederate flag, name schools after confederate generals, and showcase confederate status in washington, court rooms and cities across the south America? Do you see statues of Hitler and the 3rd Reich in Germany?

Why do American accept a incarceration rate that is 6X higher other developed countries?

If racial and income inequality does not exist why does so few people own the majority of the wealth in America?

I've always liken America ti the cesspool that criminals in other countries came to create. America was literally built off immigrants who were not valued in their country.

FultzNationRISE
06-23-2022, 10:46 AM
I've always liken America ti the cesspool that criminals in other countries came to create. America was literally built off immigrants who were not valued in their country.

I think this assertion is largely historically inaccurate, altho I suspect such details wont stop you from being edgy regardless.

insight
06-23-2022, 01:49 PM
I think this assertion is largely historically inaccurate, altho I suspect such details wont stop you from being edgy regardless.

Britian did send thousands of convicts and criminals to the US which made up a large percentage of the population. After the independence war Britian started sending criminals to Austrialia it was a common practice.
The first known Europeans to sail and settle in America were the Norse in the 900s. There is also plenty of evidence Africans sailed to America even earlier than Eric the Red. Most historical information in American history books misrepresents how America was colonized.

I do believe the Constitution and Declaration of Independence are Great documents and America is unique in the sense that no other country has had a middle class like America but many of the things that made America exceptional are being erroded over time.

JBSptfn
06-26-2022, 10:45 AM
Morton Downey jr. In the late 80's was the pioneer of the trash show before Jerry.

Look him up if you've never seen. He'd chain smoke like a dozen cigs during the show.

His show was better than Jerry's. Springer's show was white trash nonsense.

Here is a broadcast of the MDJR show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM8wyN6yrZw