PDA

View Full Version : I know little about baseball, but apparently a player only has 10 years to make HOF

1987_Lakers
06-19-2022, 03:58 PM
after eligibility?

Earlier this year, Barry Bonds didn't get voted in, and now because it has been 10 years since he has been eligible, he will never make it.

How many NBA players wouldn't be in the hall if this rule applied to the basketball hall of fame? I'm guessing tons.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2022, 04:03 PM
Its true but they have something I think is called the veteran’s committee to look at it later. They can just put in whoever they want and they have pulled some bullshit favors.

i think debusschere is the only player in nba hof to play in mlb

Im Still Ballin
06-19-2022, 06:14 PM
i think debusschere is the only player in nba hof to play in mlb

Didn't Ainge get signed to a MLB team?

Didn't Ainge get signed to a MLB team?

yeah he's one of 13 to play in both leagues

debusschere and ainge are the only 2 most people may have even heard of though

Kblaze8855
06-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Ainge played in the mlb. Wasn’t just signed. He played for the Blue Jays for some years. He was also an all American in football. Ainge was a goat tier all around athlete.

deion sanders is in nfl hof and was a solid mlb player better than ainge

him and debusschere might be the only 2 hofers in any sport that played another sport professionally

bob gibson was one of the best pitchers ever in mlb and also played for the harlem globetrotters so that's something

jim thorpe if you go back 100 or more years

Full Court
06-19-2022, 10:22 PM
The baseball hall of fame is a lot more legit than the basketball one.

And as far as the ten year rule, I can't imagine a scenario where you wouldn't be able to tell if a player should be in the HOF ten years after they retire.

MavAlbert
06-20-2022, 12:10 AM

And as far as the ten year rule, I can't imagine a scenario where you wouldn't be able to tell if a player should be in the HOF ten years after they retire.

there are a ton of players that should be in but arent because of the stupidity of the BBWAA

ben wallace was one of the best defenders ever but averaged 5.7 ppg

andruw jones was one of the best defenders ever and hit 434 home runs

ozzie smith was one of the best defenders ever and hit 28 home runs

wallace and smith are in jones isn't

no point just a random observation

otherworldly defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1G1fUgcOKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCwNNqgrKOM

Taurus
06-21-2022, 03:17 AM
I only follow baseball very casually, but I remember reading somewhere that it's a common opinion among their fans that the baseball hall of fame voting committee is super corrupt and plays favorites

I only follow baseball very casually, but I remember reading somewhere that it's a common opinion among their fans that the baseball hall of fame voting committee is super corrupt and plays favorites

the 75% requirement won't put any steroids guys in so that seems pretty "principled" even though bonds got 66% of the vote

they also don't seem interested in lifting shoeless joe jackson or pete rose betting bans which makes them ineligible so "principled" again

beyond that it's like nba some guys "clearly belong" others are not as good but get in

doesn't matter to me just describing what i see

i went to the baseball hof as a kid and it was cool

Charlie Sheen
06-21-2022, 10:26 AM

I agree with this. The baseball writers need to get over themselves. Fans don't care what axe the writers have to grind against some player they didn't get along with, but that's what the voting boils down to.

ShawkFactory
06-21-2022, 12:23 PM

It all depends on how strong subsequent classes are. There are only a certain amount of votes that each person gets and if the guys with newer eligibility are stronger year after year then a guy on the fringe may not get in. Likewise, if on his 9th year there's a weak class he may be voted in.

ShawkFactory
06-21-2022, 12:24 PM
ben wallace was one of the best defenders ever but averaged 5.7 ppg

andruw jones was one of the best defenders ever and hit 434 home runs

ozzie smith was one of the best defenders ever and hit 28 home runs

wallace and smith are in jones isn't

no point just a random observation

Andruw will probably get in.

red1
06-21-2022, 12:29 PM
thats retarded if true

either you're worthy or you're not

steroids or no steroids barry bonds should be first ballot NO DEBATE

I agree with this. The baseball writers need to get over themselves. Fans don't care what axe the writers have to grind against some player they didn't get along with, but that's what the voting boils down to.

i could ask what you think are examples of axe grinding but the fact there is no clear criteria on how to get in inevitably is going to create controversy

Andruw will probably get in.

schmidt mays and griffey jr. are the only others with 400 home run and 10 gold gloves which is a pretty strong case by itself

Charlie Sheen
06-21-2022, 01:12 PM
i could ask what you think are examples of axe grinding but the fact there is no clear criteria on how to get in inevitably is going to create controversy

Barry Bonds.

The balance of power shifts from the player to the journalist in HOF voting. Personally, I think the antagonistic relationship he had with the people who vote for the HOF has more to do with him not getting in than steroids. Steroids is just a way to conceal it.

thats retarded if true

either you're worthy or you're not

steroids or no steroids barry bonds should be first ballot NO DEBATE

the argument goes if he retired before it was known he did steroids he'd still have a hall of fame career

i guess you could say he might've been doing it before 98 and didn't get caught

or that if you do it it's an egregious disgraceful offense that perhaps shouldn't even make one eligible

i mean it's almost impossible the guy hits 73 home runs at age 36 without being juiced up

the whole period could've seriously damaged baseball's reputation

i'm just guessing what the no voters might be thinking

Barry Bonds.

The balance of power shifts from the player to the journalist in HOF voting. Personally, I think the antagonistic relationship he had with the people who vote for the HOF has more to do with him not getting in than steroids. Steroids is just a way to conceal it.

well of course the journalists have the power they are the ones who vote

i don't know whether he had an "antagonistic relationship" with the media but i do know like i already said none of the steroids players got in so it seems consistent

red1
06-21-2022, 01:24 PM
the argument goes if he retired before it was known he did steroids he'd still have a hall of fame career

i guess you could say he might've been doing it before 98 and didn't get caught

or that if you do it it's an egregious disgraceful offense that perhaps shouldn't even make one eligible

i mean it's almost impossible the guy hits 73 home runs at age 36 without being juiced up

the whole period could've seriously damaged baseball's reputation

i'm just guessing what the no voters might be thinking

got it. its still barry ****ing bonds

people that dont even like baseball were watching because of this dude

hall of fame lock or bust.

shame on the mlb.

Charlie Sheen
06-21-2022, 01:30 PM
well of course the journalists have the power they are the ones who vote

i don't know whether he had an "antagonistic relationship" with the media but i do know like i already said none of the steroids players got in so it seems consistent

Pudge and Papi both go in first ballot. Suspicion of steroid use didn't impact them.

got it. its still barry ****ing bonds

people that dont even like baseball were watching because of this dude

hall of fame lock or bust.

shame on the mlb.

that's fine i'm not invested in the outcome though whether it's bonds or clemens or whoever

i remember george carlin once said something along the lines of let them all do steroids if they want it's just a freak show anyway

Pudge and Papi both go in first ballot. Suspicion of steroid use didn't impact them.

understand but seems like there was weaker evidence against them than others

canseco claimed 80% were doing it

i guess we'll never know for sure