PDA

View Full Version : John Wall opts in for final year of his deal. 47 million dollars.

Kblaze8855
06-21-2022, 05:29 PM
If they sit him this year as well that will mean he played 40 games for 171 million dollars. A rate of a bit over 8.1 million dollars an hour of PT.

Bob Cousy once walked away from the nba to sell insurance because the Hawks wouldn’t meet his 10K a year price when he was drafted(The Celtics offered him 9 so he went there). He later led the union to threaten to strike over not receiving a perdiem on the road and settled it for 7 dollars per player per road game.

They walked so John Wall could run. Well not run. Sit.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2206220257450334.jpeg

“Label owners hate me I’m raising the status quo up. I’m overcharging ****** for what they did to the Cold Crush. Pay us like you owe us for all the years that you hoed us. We can talk but money talks so talk mo bucks.”

KNOW1EDGE
06-21-2022, 05:59 PM
Will John Wall ever play another NBA game?

PP34Deuce
06-21-2022, 06:24 PM
I see cba owners opting fir harsh stipulations on player option. Too many mid tier guys living off that player option 35 million dollar contract

Kblaze8855
06-21-2022, 06:38 PM
They’re gonna be missing the days a terrible contract was only 170 million in about 5 years.

Shooter
06-21-2022, 06:41 PM
They’re gonna be missing the days a terrible contract was only 170 million in about 5 years.

Inflation + the customers lose in the end. Yikes.

Full Court
06-21-2022, 07:02 PM
A no-brainer decision. The dude would have been crazy to not opt in.

Kblaze8855
06-21-2022, 07:42 PM
Inflation + the customers lose in the end. Yikes.

Its legalized sports gambling rights, apple, and Amazon getting in on the bidding. A final year of a max deal will be something like 85 million with current projections. Some washed up guy will opt into a final season that will pay him 10 million more than the entire 09 Lakers payroll.

Shooter
06-21-2022, 07:44 PM
Its legalized sports gambling rights, apple, and Amazon getting in on the bidding. A final year of a max deal will be something like 85 million with current projections.

I didn't even consider legalized sports gambling rights, interesting. Are you saying, for example, the Lakers could control who gets to bet for or against their team winning? Or they're able to take in a share of what a company like Draft Kings gets from bets related to the Lakers? Or are you saying the teams could create their own gambling platforms?

Kblaze8855
06-21-2022, 07:53 PM
The nba is shooting for 1 percent of all bets on its games. It’s billions of dollars there just no way to say how many billion because the illegal bets are WAY more than that. They hope they can capture it all once it’s legal everywhere but that isn’t realistic. Total illegal sports bets are estimated just shy of 2 trillion dollars. Whatever cut of that is basketball is significant but largely unreasonable to go after. But put a draft kings app in every state legally?

Its billions of dollars.

red1
06-21-2022, 08:36 PM
that gilbert arenas special. robbing the franchise blind.

I respect it

https://famousfacewiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/arenas_beardshot.jpg

coin24
06-21-2022, 09:19 PM
Team offered the contract. The rockets are the stupid ones not playing or trading him:oldlol:

plowking
06-21-2022, 09:24 PM
Players have far too much power in the league in my opinion.

With money like this flying around - non guaranteed contracts should be a thing. He doesn't want to play, and why would he getting $50 mil a year to chill?

What Philly did with Simmons should be the go. Fine a player exactly what he is due to earn if they are not playing just because.

Shogon
06-21-2022, 09:26 PM
The nba is shooting for 1 percent of all bets on its games. It’s billions of dollars there just no way to say how many billion because the illegal bets are WAY more than that. They hope they can capture it all once it’s legal everywhere but that isn’t realistic. Total illegal sports bets are estimated just shy of 2 trillion dollars. Whatever cut of that is basketball is significant but largely unreasonable to go after. But put a draft kings app in every state legally?

Its billions of dollars.

If the NBA or any other sports league has the inside info on betting and has controlling interest in any betting whatsoever it is only a matter of time before a massive beyond belief corruption scandal.

coin24
06-21-2022, 10:18 PM

With money like this flying around - non guaranteed contracts should be a thing. He doesn't want to play, and why would he getting $50 mil a year to chill?

What Philly did with Simmons should be the go. Fine a player exactly what he is due to earn if they are not playing just because.

Wall wants to play. The team is sitting him and not trading him.

tpols
06-21-2022, 10:28 PM
Crazy... can get a salary worth enough for 100 lifetimes.... and not have to do a damn thing for it.

And itd be one thing if it was a "legacy" contract where you won a bunch for someone way richer than you and they rewarded for you being a net positive to a billionaire.

But john wall didn't do that. And its not even close. He should change his name to john dillinger.

tpols
06-21-2022, 10:35 PM
“Label owners hate me I’m raising the status quo up. I’m overcharging ****** for what they did to the Cold Crush. Pay us like you owe us for all the years that you hoed us. We can talk but money talks so talk mo bucks.”

I would consider this a form of reparations.

Shooter
06-21-2022, 10:38 PM
Crazy... can get a salary worth enough for 100 lifetimes.... and not have to do a damn thing for it.

And itd be one thing if it was a "legacy" contract where you won a bunch for someone way richer than you and they rewarded for you being a net positive to a billionaire.

But john wall didn't do that. And its not even close. He should change his name to john dillinger.

100 life times? $470k? Hell no that isn't enough for a lifetime.

GrayGoat
06-21-2022, 11:01 PM
It’s crazy what Wall made in two years is what Pippen made in his entire career

tpols
06-21-2022, 11:27 PM
100 life times? $470k? Hell no that isn't enough for a lifetime.

You have to count previous years he's made absurd amounts as well since leaving the wizards.

But if you gave 100 people a free 470K? In many parts of the country they could use that to build a big life line.

In poorer countries each person could build a village and be the governor.

Kblaze8855
06-22-2022, 09:55 AM

Non guaranteed contracts are a thing. Absolutely nothing forced teams to offer them except knowing players won’t sign them when they have options. You lock yourself out of every free agent chase worth being involved in.

Plenty of nobodies would take a big partially guaranteed contract. No franchise player would. He’d just take the fully locked in one your rival offers.

Kblaze8855
06-22-2022, 09:56 AM
And 470K in a fund at birth is definitely enough for a lifetime if you have some sense. At least if the market does what it always has so far.

GrayGoat
06-22-2022, 10:27 AM
And 470K in a fund at birth is definitely enough for a lifetime if you have some sense. At least if the market does what it always has so far.

Agree. 470k invested is enough for retirement easily. Imagine not having to worry about investing shit

Overdrive
06-22-2022, 02:07 PM
Non guaranteed contracts are a thing. Absolutely nothing forced teams to offer them except knowing players won’t sign them when they have options. You lock yourself out of every free agent chase worth being involved in.

Plenty of nobodies would take a big partially guaranteed contract. No franchise player would. He’d just take the fully locked in one your rival offers.

They should stop allowing fully guaranteed contracts. The union will never agree to that so there needs to be some kind of insurance model. Say you sign a player to a 5 year max deal. He injures himself after two years and insurance will take over the payment while it doesn't count to the cap.

I don't care if otherwordly rich people pay money to other, not as rich, rich people. Contracts like these just hurt teams and the NBA in general.

Kblaze8855
06-22-2022, 02:17 PM
The players aren’t the reason teams started giant locked in deals. It’s the owners wanting to prevent player movement. Before the cba stopped them teams signed 7-10-12 and even 25 year deals because they didn’t want players to be free agents. Teams want to lock superstars down forever given the chance. But the other side of that is making the wrong call now and then. Teams wanted the super long deals. Players always wanted player options. Current stars love a 4 year deal with a player option after year 2.

bladefd
06-22-2022, 02:42 PM

In developing countries, 470k usd at birth is fit for a king essentially.

Xiao Yao You
06-22-2022, 03:08 PM
Wall wants to play. The team is sitting him and not trading him.

he didn't want to play that bad. He could have got the union involved and got on the court somehow. I certainly think taking another year off after all the time he's missed wasn't very wise basketball wise. He hasn't played a full season in 5 years

Shogon
06-22-2022, 04:17 PM

Well the market will always go up over the long term especially when we're talking decades and priced in USD. That's just simple devaluation of the dollar and other paper currencies, lol.

Gold is manipulated downward by the big banks(because they own the federal reserve and thus the USD) so this is not a perfect indicator but I do wonder how much the market has increased in relation to gold on a percentage basis over the past however long.

Overdrive
06-22-2022, 04:44 PM
The players aren’t the reason teams started giant locked in deals. It’s the owners wanting to prevent player movement. Before the cba stopped them teams signed 7-10-12 and even 25 year deals because they didn’t want players to be free agents. Teams want to lock superstars down forever given the chance. But the other side of that is making the wrong call now and then. Teams wanted the super long deals. Players always wanted player options. Current stars love a 4 year deal with a player option after year 2.

I'm not talking about contract length. I think it should be possible to give out multiyear contracts without either the teams or players suffering.

GOBB
06-23-2022, 06:54 PM
They should stop allowing fully guaranteed contracts. The union will never agree to that so there needs to be some kind of insurance model. Say you sign a player to a 5 year max deal. He injures himself after two years and insurance will take over the payment while it doesn't count to the cap.

I don't care if otherwordly rich people pay money to other, not as rich, rich people. Contracts like these just hurt teams and the NBA in general.

It’s not hurting team and the nba

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 07:03 PM
Yea we laugh at the dollar figures but max contracts are just a function of league revenue so it’s no greater a loss than losing like 15 million was with the much smaller cap of say…the early 2000s. Relative to the cap John Wall makes less money than Horace grant made in 1997.

GOBB
06-23-2022, 09:17 PM
Yea we laugh at the dollar figures but max contracts are just a function of league revenue so it’s no greater a loss than losing like 15 million was with the much smaller cap of say…the early 2000s. Relative to the cap John Wall makes less money than Horace grant made in 1997.

Speaking in general so poster doesn’t think I’m attacking him specifically. But I feel like fans are envious of what athletes and entertainers make. He signed a contract with a player option and we are saying he shouldn’t have been allowed to exercise and receive the money? He be a got damn fool not to opt in. And if anyone was in his shoes? We taking that option no hesitation.