PDA

View Full Version : Nobody basically got to eat in the 1960's outside of Russell

coastalmarker99
06-21-2022, 09:54 PM
This is such a dumb talking point that I see used by the media to criticise Lebron to prop up Jordan.

If we want to play that game then Russell is the undisputed goat over the both of them.

As he would have won 12 out of 13 titles if not for him getting hurt in the 1958 finals.

number of championships, 1960-72 (13 years):

9 Celtics

2 Wilt (76ers and Lakers)

1 Knicks
1 Bucks

0 every other team.

That's 103 team seasons!

FultzNationRISE
06-21-2022, 09:57 PM
You're absolutely right, Russell does rank somewhere above MJ and behind Lebron.

Shooter
06-21-2022, 10:02 PM
LBJ > Russell > MJ

Full Court
06-21-2022, 10:07 PM
Never heard that talking about anywhere outside of this thread.
:biggums:

And Russell is one of three players about whom an intelligent GOAT case can be made.

Lebron, on the other hand, is not even in the GOAT conversation. He's on the fringe of the top ten along with Kobe.

coastalmarker99
06-21-2022, 10:27 PM
Bill Russell and his teams basically put a black mark on so many elite players' resumes from that era.

He basically shattered Wilt's godhood in the game.

As in the Playoffs

7-1: Russell's Celtics vs. Wilt's teams
17-4: Wilt's teams vs. non-Celtics

He also mentally destroyed both West and Baylor who would be considered the best duo of all time had he not existed.

As they were 0 and 6 in the finals against him.

He was also 3 and 0 against Oscar in the playoffs and he basically prevented him from making it to the finals at all before he joined Kareem.

coastalmarker99
06-21-2022, 10:33 PM
With the media basically ranking players based on ring court.

I ask why Russell is not the undisputed goat as by that metric he is basically untouchable.

And I am even counting the finals MVPs plus DPOY he would have gotten had those awards existed during his career.

Sulico
06-22-2022, 12:49 AM
That's why he is #1 on my GOAT list.

And Boston wasn't some stacked powerhouse, like 90s Bulls. In 13 years, I think they had game 7 for 11 seasons.

JBSptfn
06-22-2022, 07:57 PM
That's why he is #1 on my GOAT list.

And Boston wasn't some stacked powerhouse, like 90s Bulls. In 13 years, I think they had game 7 for 11 seasons.

Uh, those 60's Boston teams had more HOFers than any of the overrated 90's Bull teams. The early-90's teams just had two (MJ, Pippen), and the late-90's teams just had three (MJ, Pip, Rodman)

A team like the 62 Celtics, for example, had six (Russell, Cousy, Sam Jones, Satch Sanders, Heinsohn, and Frank Ramsey). Russell played on a stacked team with a HOF coach. For that matter, so did MJ. The real GOAT (Wilt Chamberlain) had several different coaches, and he didn't play with as many HOFers as Russell did.