PDA

View Full Version : Spurs and Hawks talking about a Murray for Collins trade.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 03:35 PM
According to Jake L. Fischer of Bleacher Report, the Hawks have discussed a deal (https://www.audacy.com/929thegame/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-goal-is-to-trade-john-collins-before-thursdays-draft)with the Spurs that would send Collins to San Antonio in exchange for star guard Dejounte Murray.

The Spurs have been "fielding offers" for Murray, Fischer reported. Murray made his first All-Star team last season while nearly averaging a triple-double with 21 points, 8.3 rebounds and 9.2 assists per game.
The Hawks meanwhile have been known to be open to dealing Collins since at least last season, when he was a rumored trade candidate leading up to the deadline. Collins, who turns 25 in September, doesn't seem to be in the Hawks' long-term plans. Despite strong overall play when healthy and engaged, the former Wake Forest star has struggled to stay healthy and also lost time to a PED suspension.
A Collins trade never materialized for the Hawks, but they remain focused on acquiring a playmaker to pair with Trae Young in the back court, per Fischer. So Murray seems to be a logical target.
For the Spurs, Murray, an emergent star who turns 26 in September, doesn't seem to fit the timeline for what is shaping up to be a significant rebuild, the report said. The former Washington Huskies star is entering the third year of a four-year, $64 million contract, and can expect a hefty raise when his deal expires after the 2023-24 season.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 03:36 PM
If Murray is there to be had someone contending needs to get on it. I want that guy in a visible position.

tontoz
06-23-2022, 03:49 PM
but they remain focused on acquiring a playmaker to pair with Trae Young in the back court,

Why? That would be a really small backcourt. Trae is fine as a playmaker he just struggles defensively.

I dont get it. I haven't watched Murray much but i dont see the allure of pairing him with Trae. Are they thinking about making Trae more of an off ball player like Steph? That would be odd because i don't think he has ever played that way.

insight
06-23-2022, 05:53 PM
Why? That would be a really small backcourt. Trae is fine as a playmaker he just struggles defensively.

I dont get it. I haven't watched Murray much but i dont see the allure of pairing him with Trae. Are they thinking about making Trae more of an off ball player like Steph? That would be odd because i don't think he has ever played that way.

Murray is 6"4 with a 6'10" wingspan which is plenty long. To put it in perspective, Devin Booker is 6'6 with a 6"7 wingspan.

FultzNationRISE
06-23-2022, 07:14 PM
I only saw Murray play during the play in last year which is a one game sample size, but I wasnt exactly blown away.

I actually think the Hawks have a really nice, deep roster with size on the wings and trae running the show. They just have have to find a way to shoot the ball a bit more consistently. Obviously swapping Collins for Murray is hardly "blowing it up" or anything, but I hope they don't tinker too much with their general lineup. I'd give it one more year and see if they can find a bit more consistency with the three point stroke, and see where it gets them.

KNOW1EDGE
06-23-2022, 07:16 PM
If Murray is there to be had someone contending needs to get on it. I want that guy in a visible position.

I agree. This would be a good trade for both teams.

But I’d like to see Murray on a winning team to see what he can really do. He could have a big impact on a contending team. It would be a bummer for him to go to ATL.

fsvr54
06-23-2022, 07:31 PM
I agree. This would be a good trade for both teams.

But I’d like to see Murray on a winning team to see what he can really do. He could have a big impact on a contending team. It would be a bummer for him to go to ATL.

ATL is a winning team, fool

ShawkFactory
06-23-2022, 07:34 PM
Would be a fantastic second creator and guy who can get his own shot. Trae would need to give up control of the ball at all times which I believe that he almost wants to do at this point. I like it.

tontoz
06-23-2022, 07:44 PM
Would be a fantastic second creator and guy who can get his own shot. Trae would need to give up control of the ball at all times which I believe that he almost wants to do at this point. I like it.

Do you think hawks mgt would check in with him before making a move like this?

Im so nba'd out
06-23-2022, 07:47 PM
Wtf…why would they want 2 point guards…. If anything the hornets should be going after the spurs if any team is gonna run a 2 pg system. Lamelo and Murray had amazing chemistry in that all star game. Gave me Marbury iverson vibes from that 01 all star game

Proctor
06-23-2022, 07:47 PM
Spurs should heist for Collins and Ayton and start the next big man tandem.

Im so nba'd out
06-23-2022, 07:48 PM
Spurs should heist for Collins and Ayton and start the next big man tandem.

The spurs are losers… all that would do is turn ayton and Collins into losers. Your team is nothing without Tim Duncan….stop having hope

Proctor
06-23-2022, 07:51 PM
The spurs are losers… all that would do is turn ayton and Collins into losers. Your team is nothing without Tim Duncan….stop having hope
https://media3.giphy.com/media/8QPcoxesKxpAY5cKBw/giphy.gif

KNOW1EDGE
06-23-2022, 07:58 PM
ATL is a winning team, fool

They had more wins than losses last season but no, they are not in contention for a championship. It would be a waste of his talent for him to go to ATL, similarly to the way he’s wasting his talent in SA.

Axe
06-24-2022, 06:06 AM
Some sources suggest he'd fit in chicago.

ShawkFactory
06-24-2022, 09:07 AM
Do you think hawks mgt would check in with him before making a move like this?

Maybe but in more of a “this is happening, so talk to us” way instead of asking him if it’s cool.

Kblaze8855
06-27-2022, 07:04 PM
New report:

.In talking with multiple sources around the NBA, many believe Hawks on verge of trading for San Antonio's All-Star guard Dejounte Murray - However, it's looking like John Collins is not part of deal. Would be Gallo & multiple 1st round picks. Spurs prepping for future & '23 draft

fsvr54
06-27-2022, 07:51 PM
Let's do it alreadyyyyyy!!