PDA

View Full Version : Chet Holmgren.... not ready.... yet

3ba11
06-23-2022, 05:37 PM
He isn't seemless enough with his moves to pull off what he's trying to do/the player everyone thinks he can be

Everyone thinks he can be this ball-handling 7-footer but he isn't seamlessness enough or good enough yet... He won't be going off the dribble and popping ad-hoc pull-ups and turnarounds - everyone sees him being this kind of player but he's nowhere near seamless enough or good enough at this kind of play yet.

Forget the worries about his frame - that will come - it's his MOVES that he isn't good enough at yet.. A 7-foot, free-wheeling guard and jumpshooter??.. he isn't good enough yet

A 7-foot ball-handler must be OUTSTANDING.. . so he needs several years to get more seamless with it.. There's a good chance that he lacks quickness and has a Porzingas ceiling

Cleverness
06-23-2022, 05:51 PM
7 ft 190 lbs..... the kid is a walking stick :lol

FultzNationRISE
06-23-2022, 06:03 PM
I agree he's not gonna be a ballhandler in the NBA. If he puts on some mass I could see him with a play style similar to DeAndre Ayton. I think at his height he's gonna be better served playing closer to the basket, but with the ability to pop out and knock shots down as needed. He's not gonna be a "give him the ball and let him create" guy, he's gonna be a finisher. But if he can avoid injury (which his frame makes me question the extent that he can) I think he'll be fine in that role.

HylianNightmare
06-23-2022, 06:19 PM
Praying the magic don't take him

fsvr54
06-23-2022, 06:35 PM
Yes cause you're smarter than professional scouts

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 06:42 PM
A 20/8 in low minutes all star isn’t bad for a top 3 pick. Probably better than most. KP is an injury related bust if he’s a bust not a level of play bust. He’s been one of the 5 or so best players from that draft and he went #4 I think.

meat
06-23-2022, 06:44 PM
I'd never trust a guy named Chet.

FultzNationRISE
06-23-2022, 06:46 PM
A 20/8 in low minutes all star isn’t bad for a top 3 pick. Probably better than most. KP is an injury related bust if he’s a bust not a level of play bust. He’s been one of the 5 or so best players from that draft and he went #4 I think.

I dont know where your thread is about him refusing to give medical info to the Magic so I cant bump it, but I'm reading right now he refused to give it to the Magic AND Thunder, who have the first and second picks respectively. Which seems very strange.

Either he doesnt want the pressure of being a top 2 pick or he really doesnt wanna be in Orlando and OKC. Which seems strange considering one of them is a good city and the other is a good franchise, so what exactly are you looking for then??

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 06:53 PM
You think Orlando is a good city?

Orlando is a swamp plus tourists. You drive 30 minutes in any direction you will run over an alligator or into someone visiting from Montana turning out of a Perkins restaurant without looking.

One of the only places in Florida I wouldn’t wanna spend an extended period of time. It’s that real Florida away from the coasts.

Meaning it’s pretty much Alabama. Hotter Alabama, plus tourists, and a speck of nice downtown you can do all of in one afternoon.

Shogon
06-23-2022, 06:56 PM

Orlando is a swamp plus tourists. You drive 30 minutes in any direction you will run over an alligator or into someone visiting from Montana turning out of a Perkins restaurant without looking.

One of the only places in Florida I wouldn’t wanna spend an extended period of time. It’s that real Florida away from the coasts.

Meaning it’s pretty much Alabama. Hotter Alabama, plus tourists, and a speck of nice downtown you can do all of in one afternoon.

:cry:

It's all true.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 06:59 PM
Im my almost two years of bumming around the country doing whatever I feel like my perception of a whole lot of places has changed. Orlando is nothing to me but a nice premium outlet mall stop now that I spent some time there not being in a theme park.

I do love that Perkins breakfast though.

FultzNationRISE
06-23-2022, 07:01 PM

Well granted I've only been to Orlando itself once, for my cousin's wedding. He's a rocket scientist for NASA and lives in a pretty nice area. Haven't seen much of the rest of the city. But any city in Florida has the general benefits of low taxes, warm weather, and close beach proximity. So I'm sure it's at least in the top half of places most guys would wanna play based purely on lifestyle factors.

StrongLurk
06-23-2022, 07:11 PM
I'm not confident in Chet yet either. When I watch him, it's obvious he's got a lot of potential, but also a lot of work to do. I'd still draft him top 2 regardless but he may have a rough first two years in the league.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 07:12 PM
I think Orlando is like an hour from Daytona beach but the closest real city is Tampa which is a brutal back road drive of like 2 hours.

I wouldn’t reject Orlando because it’s Orlando I just wouldn’t go there by choice. I’d allow Orlando to draft me id just wish the pick went to literally any other southern team. Even Charlotte.

Not Memphis though now that I think on it. Memphis is the kinda grimy you think only exists in movies like Black Snake Moan or YouTube doucseries on “urban” crime.

Memphis is the most hood place I’ve ever been and I’ve lived in 3 neighborhoods listed in the 25 most dangerous in America.

ShawkFactory
06-23-2022, 07:36 PM
His floor is like a taller Horford type. I think he'll be closer to that than a superstar but he could be a really really nice piece.

tpols
06-23-2022, 07:38 PM
7 ft 190 lbs..... the kid is a walking stick :lol

Geez... making me feel fat.

Unless this guy has Durant level shooting... but even then he won't ever have his athleticism.

Has there ever been a white guy built like Manute Bol who was good? Getting Shawn Bradley and Porzingis vibes. That's a bust for a 1 pick.

FultzNationRISE
06-23-2022, 07:46 PM

Unless this guy has Durant level shooting... but even then he won't ever have his athleticism.

Has there ever been a white guy built like Manute Bol who was good? Getting Shawn Bradley and Porzingis vibes. That's a bust for a 1 pick.

Well hes probably not going number 1, but a healthy Porzingis in a good system is far from the worst way to spend a top 3 pick. Only problem is you cant guarantee health. But if somehow he can get a bit studier and avoid injuries, I see no reason he cant be a good starter level guy in 2-3 years time.

ShawkFactory
06-23-2022, 07:48 PM

Just cuz body type?

KNOW1EDGE
06-23-2022, 08:02 PM
He’s not being asked to play point-center.

He’s going to anchor the defenses and block a ton of shots. He will excel in the pick and pop/roll and spot up from deep.

tpols
06-23-2022, 09:59 PM
Well hes probably not going number 1, but a healthy Porzingis in a good system is far from the worst way to spend a top 3 pick. Only problem is you cant guarantee health. But if somehow he can get a bit studier and avoid injuries, I see no reason he cant be a good starter level guy in 2-3 years time.

A guy like that is an injury waiting to happen. He's too frail and skinny and lacks the athleticism of say a Kevin Durant or Brandon Ingram.

If you look at the ironmen of the NBA throughout history they were usually pretty strong dudes Karl Malone LeBron types. Its hard to hurt someone built so densely. Its like punching a brick wall you'll only hurt yourself trying.

RRR3
06-23-2022, 10:05 PM
Ttrolls mentioned Porzingis with Shawn Bradley yikes this guys bball IQ is dreadful.

Axe
06-23-2022, 10:06 PM
:roll:

Shogon
06-23-2022, 10:12 PM
Based on the fact that it's the OP alone, in before Chet is a top 20 player of all time.

tpols
06-23-2022, 10:18 PM
Ttrolls mentioned Porzingis with Shawn Bradley yikes this guys bball IQ is dreadful.

Porzingis hasn't done anything in the league.He's been a total failure relative to expectation. I watch a lot of MSG and remember the hype.

People get enamored with the extreme height plus skill thing but you also need athleticism and/or muscle to make it work. There's a reason he's hiding medical records. He's trying to cash in while he can.

I remember the last great white player to be drafted out of Gonzaga who has always had a great system and program. He was tall and greatly skilled and did incredible on the college scene. Picked 3rd overall.

Know what his name was?

Adam Morrison.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 10:25 PM

I submit this as evidence on Shawn’s behalf:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TenseFickleIvorybackedwoodswallow-size_restricted.gif

I will allow no further submissions.

RRR3
06-23-2022, 10:26 PM
Porzingis hasn't done anything in the league.He's been a total failure relative to expectation. I watch a lot of MSG and remember the hype.

People get enamored with the extreme height plus skill thing but you also need athleticism and/or muscle to make it work. There's a reason he's hiding medical records. He's trying to cash in while he can.

I remember the last great white player to be drafted out of Gonzaga who has always had a great system and program. He was tall and greatly skilled and did incredible on the college scene. Picked 3rd overall.

Know what his name was?

Adam Morrison.
He’s literally been an all star and scored 20 PPG multiple times. You’re a moron.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 10:28 PM
. Porzingis hasn't done anything in the league.He's been a total failure relative to expectation. I watch a lot of MSG and remember the hype.

Hes been a 20/8 or whatever player in low minutes and been an all star. He’s done more than an awful lot of top 5 picks. His draft had 4 all stars and I’d rather have him than one of the others. He’s an injury guy not a “Can’t play” guy.

3ba11
06-23-2022, 10:32 PM

Significantly

Dimensions higher in understanding of the game and players

Night and day

tpols
06-23-2022, 10:34 PM
Hes been a 20/8 or whatever player in low minutes and been an all star. He’s done more than an awful lot of top 5 picks. His draft had 4 all stars and I’d rather have him than one of the others. He’s an injury guy not a “Can’t play” guy.

Well yea but that matters a lot. Porzingis has never played even close to a full season even once except his rookie season. Ever since he averages like 40-50 games a year. And God forbid he had to endure a regular season plus full playoff run...

A guy being on the court matters. I hope this guy has a great career but there's a ton of red flags. There's never been a white dude that skinny and tall that was a star and capable of playing a full seasons slot of games.

Can you name one?

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 10:36 PM
Significantly

Dimensions higher in understanding of the game and players

Night and day

But took 12 years to realize Steph was better than Brian Winters or Gail Goodrich.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 10:37 PM
Well yea but that matters a lot. Porzingis has never played even close to a full season even once except his rookie season. Ever since he averages like 40-50 games a year. And God forbid he had to endure a regular season plus full playoff run...

A guy being on the court matters. I hope this guy has a great career but there's a ton of red flags. There's never been a white dude that skinny and tall that was a star and capable of playing a full seasons slot of games.

Can you name one?

I can name players. You actually want me to limit it to skin color for some reason?

tpols
06-23-2022, 10:41 PM
I can name players. You actually want me to limit it to skin color for some reason?

Well the Garnett, Giannis, Durant, Ingram types were clearly way more athletic. Do you dispute that?

ShawkFactory
06-23-2022, 10:44 PM

Know what his name was?

Adam Morrison.

What is the purpose of what you do :lol

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 10:48 PM
I don’t think we really know how athletic he plays or will play. As we discussed once recently KD was among the least athletic players in his class by the measurables. He moves quite uncommonly for someone of his size I know that. We will see what an nba strength program does for him in time.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 10:52 PM
Maybe they will have him ****ing weights for 8-9 years too:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WetRepulsiveElectriceel-size_restricted.gif

tpols
What is the purpose of what you do :lol

Educating people like you gives me a dopamine release in my brain I guess.

Adam Morrison was a top 3 pick and considered a superstar lotto pick talent based on what he did in college. Came from the same school. Both tall and greatly skilled.

What happened?

And then what happened?

MrFonzworth
He isn't seemless enough with his moves to pull off what he's trying to do/the player everyone thinks he can be

Everyone thinks he can be this ball-handling 7-footer but he isn't seamlessness enough or good enough yet... He won't be going off the dribble and popping ad-hoc pull-ups and turnarounds - everyone sees him being this kind of player but he's nowhere near seamless enough or good enough at this kind of play yet.

Forget the worries about his frame - that will come - it's his MOVES that he isn't good enough at yet.. A 7-foot, free-wheeling guard and jumpshooter??.. he isn't good enough yet

A 7-foot ball-handler must be OUTSTANDING.. . so he needs several years to get more seamless with it.. There's a good chance that he lacks quickness and has a Porzingas ceiling

ISH word of the draft

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 10:54 PM

Adam Morrison was a top 3 pick and considered a superstar lotto pick talent based on what he did in college. Came from the same school. Both tall and greatly skilled.

What happened?

And then what happened?

And the tall skilled top picks who aren’t white or from Gonzaga? Any basketball reason to compare him more to Morrison than them?

3ba11
06-23-2022, 11:02 PM
But took 12 years to realize Steph was better than Brian Winters or Gail Goodrich.

That was obvious hating and trolling against the 3-point format that he created

that's what's great about this site (the hating and trolling)

But if I had to scout him for real, I would note the obvious that he's an OFF-BALL GUY.

I think you know how the rest of the scouting report would read

tpols
06-23-2022, 11:14 PM
And the tall skilled top picks who aren’t white or from Gonzaga? Any basketball reason to compare him more to Morrison than them?

Well I would tend to compare guys who were similar and from the exact same school over anything else.

I know you probably don't believe in culture or teamwork type stuff but there are certain colleges like say Kentucky who gobble up top talent and win based off that and there are schools like Gonzaga which is like the Spurs organization of college basketball.

It inflates the pro value of players that played there because they were producing under a top culture and system. If you put them in the pros on a lotto team its gonna be a rude awakening.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 11:20 PM
So skin color and school like 17 years apart is your basketball evaluation?

Ok then.

Ill just say…we will all see. If the draft were predictable people who put their whole lives into it wouldn’t be made to look like fools every time.

Thabeet went second over Harden and Steph in a league already getting rid of dinosaur bigs so…whatever. Everyone’s an idiot or a genius after these big risks and a lot of people have been both.

tpols
06-23-2022, 11:24 PM
So skin color and school like 17 years apart is your basketball evaluation?

Ok then.

Ill just say…we will all see. If the draft were predictable people who put their whole lives into it wouldn’t be made to look like fools every time.

Thabeet went second over Harden and Steph in a league already getting rid of dinosaur bigs so…whatever. Everyone’s an idiot or a genius after these big risks and a lot of people have been both.

Scouts overrate height plain and simple. This is just another (extreme) case.

Scouts said to take Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. They're frauds.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2022, 11:33 PM
I think the problem with that idea is it isn’t “scouts” it’s always in the end one person making a call.

You read the book that came out on the 84 draft a lot of scouts and people are quoted being in absolute shock if anyone but Jordan went at number 2 and some who saw him pre draft thought he should be over Hakeem which is saying a lot for how the game was played back then.

3ba11
06-23-2022, 11:56 PM
Lets look at Luka and see if we can extrapolate anything that might relate to Holmgren

Luka isn't super-fast but he gets by guys on sheer next-dimension-ball-handling mastery - little feints, hesi's and misdirections that have become hard-wired in and instinctual.

Does Chet have it like this? I don't think so - he's still trying to master the Deron Williams circa-2006 dribble.. Again, he needs to get better.

One caveat is that one of those highlights they keep replaying shows him doing a behind-the-back gather-step and flush at the rim - a nearly unprecedented dribble move - it isn't noticeable to the nascent eye, but straight behind-the-back dribbles (not wrap-arounds) usually require an extra dribble than what Holmgren did.. So there's definitely some serious capacity for repertoire there but he still doesn't have a pure guard handle - no same-hand reset dribble or footwork, nor does he properly protect the ball with his off-hand (probably the biggest sign of a pure guard handle), nor does he seamlessly operate as the ball-handler in screen roll.

Now can he do that behind-the-back in the halfcourt and pull-up for a jumper?.. I haven't seen anything like that or a turnaround jumper (for which he lacks the ability to properly body defenders).. I haven't seen Dirk or Durant-like jumpshooting skill - crazy fadeaways on helpless defenders, etc

Lakers Legend#32
06-24-2022, 02:29 AM
Is anyone surprised lily white OKC drafted him?

red1
06-24-2022, 05:51 AM
kid looks like trash.

red1
06-24-2022, 06:03 AM
he has great size obviously with his height and wingspan maybe Im just hating but I feel like it will be a hard adjustment for him

I dont see any durant comparisons at all durant was a lanky bastard too but he could move and wasnt going up against bigs. he is a pure wing player

Kblaze8855
06-24-2022, 08:51 AM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2206241820000379.jpeg

RRR3
06-24-2022, 09:40 AM
Lol he better be good now, just put a target on his back.

red1
06-24-2022, 01:13 PM

I respect that :oldlol:

kid better be ready for the wolves.

3ba11
06-24-2022, 02:27 PM

Really?

Where's the in-out dribble... And then pull-up

His jumper has decent form but it's quite basic, spot-up style.. Not saucy like Dirk, Bird or KD.. a robot by comparison

But if he gets it saucy like them, then he might be right

FultzNationRISE
06-24-2022, 02:50 PM
Really?

Where's the in-out dribble... And then pull-up

His jumper has decent form but it's quite basic, spot-up style.. Not saucy like Dirk, Bird or KD.. a robot by comparison

But if he gets it saucy like them, then he might be right

Theres not one way to play basketball and he doesnt have to do what those guys did.

This guy is really long and has some touch, what you wanna do is get him in motion so he can finish in rhythm high above his defender. Elbow pick n pops, dump offs in the paint, basically a lot of touch shots around the basket that will be hard for defenders to contest. He doesnt have to post guys up like Nowitzki or be a crazy dribble drive threat from the arc like KD. The fact he does have range out to the line is helpful but it doesnt mean that has to be the focus of his game. OKC has other guys, their core is pretty solid tbh... Holmgren doesnt have to be a dominant first option guy to be a successful pick.

3ba11
06-24-2022, 03:03 PM
Theres not one way to play basketball and he doesnt have to do what those guys did.

This guy is really long and has some touch, what you wanna do is get him in motion so he can finish in rhythm high above his defender. Elbow pick n pops, dump offs in the paint, basically a lot of touch shots around the basket that will be hard for defenders to contest. He doesnt have to post guys up like Nowitzki or be a crazy dribble drive threat from the arc like KD. The fact he does have range out to the line is helpful but it doesnt mean that has to be the focus of his game. OKC has other guys, their core is pretty solid tbh... Holmgren doesnt have to be a dominant first option guy to be a successful pick.

The next Zydrunas?

I could see that..

Zydrunas was pretty nice too - he carried Kemp to the 98' Playoffs but couldn't do it with 05' Lebron (or 04')

red1
06-24-2022, 03:07 PM
The next Zydrunas?

I could see that..

Zydrunas was pretty nice too - he carried Kemp to the 98' Playoffs but couldn't do it with 05' Lebron (or 04')

thanking you for coming back online brother 3ball. I was waiting for you before I called it for the week, Im going to head out to party at about 5pm EST, meeting up at 6pm EST at my boy's place before we head out from there.

explain again how zydrunas ilgauskas and anderson varejao are more talented that horace grant OR dennis rodman.

I dont think you ever argued that the cavs dogshit frontcourt was better than both at the same time - although it would very much fit your mold of mentally ill dogshit-posting

KNOW1EDGE
06-24-2022, 03:14 PM
kid looks like trash.

Have you ever watched him play?

What about his game is “trash”??

Basketball is not a weight lifting competition. He’s a great basketball player.

3ba11
06-24-2022, 03:16 PM

FultzNation above described his game as Zydrunas

red1
06-24-2022, 03:16 PM

I saw him play against college competition - only in replays and highlights

you'll have scrubs in the nba like the morris bros who are far stronger than him trying to post him up - it's going to happen.

KNOW1EDGE
06-24-2022, 03:21 PM
I saw him play against college competition - only in replays and highlights

you'll have scrubs in the nba like the morris bros who are far stronger than him trying to post him up - it's going to happen.

NBA is not a weight lifting competition. You can box out, play defense etc with good fundamentals and technique. He’s gonna be tossing shots into the 5th row.

KD went 2 because he couldn’t bench 185 once. Luckily he hasn’t been required to bench press in an NBA game. Chet is not KD, but their frames are very similar.

If someone wants to critique his actual game I’m all ears. -Chet is extremely talented, his lack of a frame and strength are a slight concern but strength is not his game, he’s not a power guy. Look at Rudy Gobert, he’s a French softy and one of the best centers in the league. Chet is far more talented than Rudy.

red1
06-24-2022, 03:33 PM
NBA is not a weight lifting competition. You can box out, play defense etc with good fundamentals and technique. He’s gonna be tossing shots into the 5th row.

KD went 2 because he couldn’t bench 185 once. Luckily he hasn’t been required to bench press in an NBA game. Chet is not KD, but their frames are very similar.

If someone wants to critique his actual game I’m all ears. -Chet is extremely talented, his lack of a frame and strength are a slight concern but strength is not his game, he’s not a power guy. Look at Rudy Gobert, he’s a French softy and one of the best centers in the league. Chet is far more talented than Rudy.

we'll see. :oldlol:

rudy is the most overrated player in the league right now. just an FYI.

Lakers Legend#32
06-24-2022, 03:58 PM
Chet is not a name for a young person.

meat
06-24-2022, 04:26 PM
Is anyone surprised lily white OKC drafted him?

OKC is 49% white. Are you thinking of Utah? They do have that one Chinese guy that lives there though.

ralph_i_el
06-24-2022, 09:39 PM

What happened?

And then what happened?

He blew out his knee horribly at age 23, plus he had diabetes.

FultzNationRISE
06-24-2022, 09:47 PM
He blew out his knee horribly at age 23, plus he had diabetes.

Im pretty sure he was never really that committed to pro basketball anyway. Whereas Holmgren appears to be.

ShawkFactory
06-24-2022, 10:26 PM

What happened?

And then what happened?

Do you think people don’t know who Adam Morrison is?

Carbine
06-24-2022, 10:31 PM
He makes some moves already that are advanced. He has fundamentals and when you pair that with the kind of size and length he has, once those fundamental moves get more refined he will be effective.

He's also the prototypical 5 in today's game. He can stretch the floor and have a big impact that way for floor spacing while still being able to attack off long close outs and make good decisions from that.

If he can be just OK at switching out on guards he's going to be a HUGE piece of the puzzle to a contender. I do not view him as "the guy" but he can be an amazing 2.

Advanced stats will really like this guy I believe

3ba11
06-25-2022, 01:13 PM
He makes some moves already that are advanced. He has fundamentals and when you pair that with the kind of size and length he has, once those fundamental moves get more refined he will be effective.

He's also the prototypical 5 in today's game. He can stretch the floor and have a big impact that way for floor spacing while still being able to attack off long close outs and make good decisions from that.

If he can be just OK at switching out on guards he's going to be a HUGE piece of the puzzle to a contender. I do not view him as "the guy" but he can be an amazing 2.

Advanced stats will really like this guy I believe

^^^ Everyone is tasked with doing that

For him to be a superstar, he'll need to be an expert jumpshooter that can make many different kinds of off-the-cuff jumpers or he'll need a handle that can get to the rack in the halfcourt

Maybe he'll get these things but his jumpshooting skill doesn't look good enough to be a superstar right now

AlternativeAcc.
06-25-2022, 01:17 PM
Do you think people don’t know who Adam Morrison is?

:lol

Tpols got that undercover insight about a hugely popular star that everyone in the mid 2000s knew about while battling Redick for best college player

The holmgren comp is legit too because they play nothing alike. Both white and same school though!

Thank you tpols :bowdown:

ShawkFactory
06-25-2022, 01:52 PM
:lol

Tpols got that undercover insight about a hugely popular star that everyone in the mid 2000s knew about while battling Redick for best college player

The holmgren comp is legit too because they play nothing alike. Both white and same school though!

Thank you tpols :bowdown:

It's like an elementary school PE teacher who tells people that he's a professor.

RRR3
06-25-2022, 08:57 PM
It's like an elementary school PE teacher who tells people that he's a professor.
Perfect description of him lmao

KNOW1EDGE
06-25-2022, 09:40 PM
Who is Adam Morrison?

Jokes aside. Chet and Morrison are basically the same player. Morrison’s career is exactly what Chets will be. There’s no way around it. They are both 7 footers who block tons of shots. Their games are identical in every way.

Thanks for educating us tpools

Carbine
06-25-2022, 11:15 PM
^^^ Everyone is tasked with doing that

For him to be a superstar, he'll need to be an expert jumpshooter that can make many different kinds of off-the-cuff jumpers or he'll need a handle that can get to the rack in the halfcourt

Maybe he'll get these things but his jumpshooting skill doesn't look good enough to be a superstar right now

Not true. There are many centers or "bigs" who play that cannot space the floor or attack close outs. You HAVE to put Rudy as the screener or if he's off ball the dunker position.

Clint Capella, Ayton, Steven Adams, Allen, etc

It limits versatility to an offense. Having a center who can do those things & space the floor AND attack close outs is a huge bonus.

The key will be his defense on switches. I don't have any worries if he will be a valuable piece on offense.

OKC doesn't need him to be KD. Or a "superstar" scorer who gets 28 a game. It's perfectly OK for him to be Porzingus with better switching ability on defense (Porzingus is awful at this which is a HUGE negative to his game)

eliteballer
06-26-2022, 01:40 AM
The flip side of him putting on weight is that it's always russian roulette adding weight to the joints of a 7 foot frame.

3ba11
06-26-2022, 11:39 AM
Not true. There are many centers or "bigs" who play that cannot space the floor or attack close outs. You HAVE to put Rudy as the screener or if he's off ball the dunker position.

Clint Capella, Ayton, Steven Adams, Allen, etc

It limits versatility to an offense. Having a center who can do those things & space the floor AND attack close outs is a huge bonus.

The key will be his defense on switches. I don't have any worries if he will be a valuable piece on offense.

OKC doesn't need him to be KD. Or a "superstar" scorer who gets 28 a game. It's perfectly OK for him to be Porzingus with better switching ability on defense (Porzingus is awful at this which is a HUGE negative to his game)

Did you see Paolo go into Cher's chest when Duke played Gonzaga?

Every big man in the league will be looking to overpower him like that.. He will offer zero resistance inside to say, Horford.

And tons of bigs space the floor - being a spot-up big isn't unique or particularly impactful - Porzingas would be more impactful as a traditional big.. So if Chet is just a floor-spreading big, I don't like his upside.. He needs a killer jumpshooting skill like Dirk or KD for his body-type to be a star

Carbine
06-26-2022, 12:07 PM
Horford struggled against Steph Curry trying to "bang" him inside. I think he had one good rep out of 10 on the finals.

"Big boy" basketball barely exists anymore from players 6'8 and above. Embiid, LeBron, Kawhi, Luka are probably the 3 beat bully ball style scorers in the paint. Jokic can do some of that too against physically smaller players.

Chet in the 90s era I'd be concerned. Not in this era.

He's 19 or 20 BTW. Look at how much MJs body changed once he decided to lift weights. Chets physical strength is going to go up by a lot from 19 to 25

Carbine
06-26-2022, 12:13 PM
https://youtu.be/Ul4i5CGJM20

That's Harden in college. His game looks nothing like what it would become in the NBA.

These guys are "prospects" in the truest form of the word. We're still in the early developmental stage of these players for the most part.

ralph_i_el
06-26-2022, 01:26 PM
Did you see Paolo go into Cher's chest when Duke played Gonzaga?

Every big man in the league will be looking to overpower him like that.. He will offer zero resistance inside to say, Horford.

And tons of bigs space the floor - being a spot-up big isn't unique or particularly impactful - Porzingas would be more impactful as a traditional big.. So if Chet is just a floor-spreading big, I don't like his upside.. He needs a killer jumpshooting skill like Dirk or KD for his body-type to be a star

He ended up blocking a lot of shots of stronger guys going right at his chest though. I don't know how many NBA teams are going to be willing to center their offe se around trying to physically punish the guy with the 7'6" wingspan in the post. Even if you bully him you still have to get the shot off over him.

tpols
06-26-2022, 01:56 PM
Oh Boy you guys are gonna learn. :oldlol:

Its gonna take some time though...

ShawkFactory
06-26-2022, 02:04 PM

It’s going to take time for Chet to not be good?

AlternativeAcc.
06-26-2022, 02:06 PM

You compared him to Morrison because he's white and went to the same school

But they couldn't be more different as players

He's mobile enough to be very versatile on defense and skilled anough to stretch the floor and score from anywhere while being a good/smart passer

Every team could use a guy like Chet in today's league

Akeem34TheDream
06-26-2022, 04:30 PM
Evan Mobley is one of my favorite young players in the league. I think he can be a good comp for Chet.

eliteballer
06-29-2022, 06:06 PM
Chet Holmgren Reportedly Tanked Workout With The Orlando Magic, Didn't Want To Be Selected As The No. 1 Pick

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/chet-holmgren-reportedly-tanked-workout-with-the-orlando-magic-didnt-want-to-be-selected-as-the-no-1-pick

tanibanana
06-29-2022, 06:29 PM
His body is not yet ready. But he is definitely the best in his draft class.
I could see him winning the ROY, and will be a top-5 center in his 3rd year.

AlternativeAcc.
06-29-2022, 06:46 PM
I think he was misused on Gonzaga

He's a beast...

Kid is deceptively strong and works out. His trainer says he can easily bench 185 unlike Durant

He's gonna be drilling 3s and playing DPOY defense