PDA

View Full Version : 9 all nba teams from 3 seasons. Make me a 3 player core that can’t be beat.

Kblaze8855
06-24-2022, 10:59 PM
Pick one all nba first team player from any season, one second team, and one third. Any combo of years you want but one player from each level. Only 1 first teamer, one second, and so on.

All 3 are added to the 2023 Pistons and they have to win 70 games and the title or Shang Tsung gets your soul:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UntriedBogusAustraliancurlew-size_restricted.gif

1996, 2006, and 2016 players all under modern rules with any duplicates of active players allowed and mysteriously unnoticed by the sports world.

Make me a core that saves your soul:

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2206250825290356.jpeg

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2206250826120363.jpeg

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2206250827150361.jpeg

Kblaze8855
06-24-2022, 11:08 PM
96 Jordan, 06 Duncan, and 16 Klay are real tempting. But 06 Kobe, 96 Hakeem, and 96 Reggie are too. And you can’t ignore 16 Steph or Lebron plus 16 Durant and 96 Shaq.

All of them would win but it’s hard to say who is the biggest lock to dominate coast to coast for 70 wins and the title. We already saw a Steph and KD duo not win 70 even though they won the title. Shaq makes a massive difference obviously but more than the defensive potential of peak Kobe, near peak Hakeem, and Reggie who would both be unguardable with freedom of movement rules and have no ego with those teammates? Shaq would eventually want to be fed more than a Steph/Durant 2023 modern offense might find ideal. More potential for drama even while being the all time “gravity” champs. Plus Shaq doesn’t go hard in the regular season.

Jordan plus prime Duncan…Jordan wants to play all 82. That helps a lot with the record.

In a league that manages loads Im more confident in Jordan demanding all 82 than Shaq or Steph.

Kobe, Hakeem, and Reggie were similar. Gotta factor in a lot. All of the possible groups would win a title. But I need 70 games too.

SouBeachTalents
06-24-2022, 11:10 PM
2016 Curry
2006 Wade
1996 Shaq

Game over.

Kblaze8855
16 Steph, 06 Wade, 96 Shaq?

Kblaze8855
2016 Curry
2006 Wade
1996 Shaq

Game over.

Got me by seconds.

Kblaze8855
06-24-2022, 11:12 PM
I don’t think you could guard 96 Jordan, 16 Durant, and 96 Shaq either.

Someones playing one on one comfortably all game and I don’t know how you deal with that.

Carbine
06-25-2022, 12:01 AM
'96 Jordan might be a little to crazy for all the young prices on Detroit to handle. They wouldn't know what to do, they won't handle the tough love well I don't think.

With that said I'm taking '96 Pippen. He is going to be more of an easy going leader for them and he provides so.many winning intangibles.

Steph is obviously going to be a very popular choice as well for that spot.

For the second teamer I'd go with KD from 2016. That's the kind of scorer you need next to Pippen to flourish. That's some damn length on the perimeter too.

Third teamer I'll take 2016 Klay Thompson. He provides 20 a night on next to no dribbles and back then in 2016 I think he was one of the premier perimeter defenders in the league.

That's who I'm going with.

I don't think you can throw 96 Jordan with 06 Wade and 96 Shaq in today's league and win 70. 96 Shaq wasn't interested in pick and roll defense and Jordan and Wade were not 3 point shooters. I don't think the Pistons have the type of 3 and D players needed to survive having 3 non shooting superstars on the team.

L.Kizzle
06-25-2022, 02:35 AM
Damn. 2016 wasn't that long ago and DeAndre Jordan was 1st team center. Center has come a long way in half a decade

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 08:36 AM
'96 Jordan might be a little to crazy for all the young prices on Detroit to handle. They wouldn't know what to do, they won't handle the tough love well I don't think.

With that said I'm taking '96 Pippen. He is going to be more of an easy going leader for them and he provides so.many winning intangibles.

Steph is obviously going to be a very popular choice as well for that spot.

For the second teamer I'd go with KD from 2016. That's the kind of scorer you need next to Pippen to flourish. That's some damn length on the perimeter too.

Third teamer I'll take 2016 Klay Thompson. He provides 20 a night on next to no dribbles and back then in 2016 I think he was one of the premier perimeter defenders in the league.

That's who I'm going with.

I don't think you can throw 96 Jordan with 06 Wade and 96 Shaq in today's league and win 70. 96 Shaq wasn't interested in pick and roll defense and Jordan and Wade were not 3 point shooters. I don't think the Pistons have the type of 3 and D players needed to survive having 3 non shooting superstars on the team.

While I’m sure a Pippen/KD/Klay team would be great and should win a title I’m not sure it would be the kinda nearly unprecedented great you need to safeguard your soul.

That said I do agree you may not want an outright talent show. None of the teams to win 68+ games off the top of my head were like…mega talented past a second superstar. You might have 2 superstars, 1 all star, and some good players but it isn’t generally the most talented list of names to ever be on one team. 70 wins is a chemistry thing I’d say.

Chemistry, health, and dedication. One reason I’m not sure I’d take anyone modern. Who doesn’t want days off these days?

The 16 warriors really pushed for that 70 though. If you take someone modern 16 Steph may have to be the one from a “What if they load manage” pov.

red1
06-25-2022, 08:39 AM
96 jordan
06 duncan
16 klay

that's a perfect team.

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 08:47 AM
Damn. 2016 wasn't that long ago and DeAndre Jordan was 1st team center. Center has come a long way in half a decade

He was gonna be my first pick for a second question about building a team that would miss the playoffs.

DJ, Marion, and prime Dray making the playoffs on the pistons?

tpols
06-25-2022, 09:56 AM
MJ / Duncan / Shaq.

tpols
06-25-2022, 09:57 AM
96 jordan
06 duncan
16 klay

that's a perfect team.

How you gonna take klay over mid 90s prime Shaq?

Shooter
06-25-2022, 10:11 AM
2016 LeBron
2006 Duncan
1996 Shaq

82-0

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 10:12 AM
Chemistry I assume. How many players to win 66+ games did so on their most talented career lineup? Some did but not most.

Dirk did it with Howard, Terry, and Daniels not Nash, Finley, Walker, and Jamison.

Steph didn’t do it with KD. The Lakers did it with a declined Wilt plus west and goodrich not when they had a pre injury wilt with west and Baylor.

You really might not be best off with the most talent. Not when all these teams would win the title anyway and you just need the perfect chemistry for 70 wins on top of it.

LeCola
06-25-2022, 10:13 AM
I pick Klay first, because he is ideal 3rd option for a big 3.

So,

Jordan Durant Klay

Curry Hakeem Klay

Dirk Wade Klay

Also, we already watched it but Curry Durant Klay

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 10:14 AM
2016 LeBron
2006 Duncan
1996 Shaq

82-0

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PartialSpryAvians-size_restricted.gif

Shooter
06-25-2022, 10:25 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PartialSpryAvians-size_restricted.gif

Nah, that's 82-0 and a 16-0 Playoffs run homie

Shooter
06-25-2022, 10:27 AM
2016 GOAT LeBron won with Kyrie and Love. Now we're giving him TD and Shaq?

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 10:32 AM
How many times has Lebron been even a first seed since he stopped playing with role players in his first Cleveland run? 3 maybe?

Lebron doesn’t usually win that much in the regular season because he doesn’t care as much and takes a while to gel with other stars. He wouldn’t win 70 in year one with a personality as big and demanding as Shaq. They’d win the title with like 62 regular season wins tops. But you wouldn’t even see them win the title because Shang would already have feasted on that soul as the regular season concluded.

tpols
06-25-2022, 10:34 AM
Chemistry I assume. How many players to win 66+ games did so on their most talented career lineup? Some did but not most.

Dirk did it with Howard, Terry, and Daniels not Nash, Finley, Walker, and Jamison.

Steph didn’t do it with KD. The Lakers did it with a declined Wilt plus west and goodrich not when they had a pre injury wilt with west and Baylor.

You really might not be best off with the most talent. Not when all these teams would win the title anyway and you just need the perfect chemistry for 70 wins on top of it.

If Kobe and Shaq could have great on court chemistry during their 3peat, I don't see why MJ wouldn't be able to replicate that. He's basically a Kobe clone style wise except better. They could run the triangle just like Kobe and Shaq. And then Duncan is the most adaptable unselfish player ever so he would fit anywhere.

I cant think of any team everin the history of the NBA to not take '96 30/15/3 Shaquille Oneal over Klay Thompson. That wasn't Barry Bonds Shaq. That version of Shaq could move so the era thing doesnt make sense to,me.

Shooter
06-25-2022, 10:39 AM
How many times has Lebron been even a first seed since he stopped playing with role players in his first Cleveland run? 3 maybe?

Lebron doesn’t usually win that much in the regular season because he doesn’t care as much and takes a while to gel with other stars. He wouldn’t win 70 in year one with a personality as big and demanding as Shaq. They’d win the title with like 62 regular season wins tops. But you wouldn’t even see them win the title because Shang would already have feasted on that soul as the regular season concluded.

I can see the 70 games being a challenge with his peak at 66 games I believe but also, since this "rangz" craze he has somewhat coasted in the regular season so if he knew he had to get 70 wins I think he could.

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 10:43 AM
I suspect that Shang wouldn’t cooperate with your efforts to prove to Lebron you need 70 wins nor am I sure he’d care if you told him. Lebron having to choose your life…someone he doesn’t know…or resting up for a title run with the seeding set? You might not be that important to him. Jeopardize a ring or save your soul?

Eh….

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 11:09 AM
If Kobe and Shaq could have great on court chemistry during their 3peat, I don't see why MJ wouldn't be able to replicate that. He's basically a Kobe clone style wise except better. They could run the triangle just like Kobe and Shaq. And then Duncan is the most adaptable unselfish player ever so he would fit anywhere.

I cant think of any team everin the history of the NBA to not take '96 30/15/3 Shaquille Oneal over Klay Thompson. That wasn't Barry Bonds Shaq. That version of Shaq could move so the era thing doesnt make sense to,me.

Well no building a team from scratch you always take Shaq but adding to some established teams there are position concerns. Like I would take prime Klay over Shaq for the 98 Spurs. What am I gonna do? Bench Duncan or Drob?

In this situation where it’s all about wins because the title is virtually assured it’s just a chemistry issue not talent. All these would be unstoppable super teams in the playoffs. But I need 70 wins first.

red1
06-25-2022, 11:39 AM
How you gonna take klay over mid 90s prime Shaq?

I already have mj and prime duncan so I'm set on perimeter and interior scoring and defense

klay was a great perimeter defender with a great motor and an absolutely wet jumpshot could light teams up like no other. he earned the splash bro nickname.

he's the perfect fit to round out the roster

tpols
06-25-2022, 11:43 AM
Well no building a team from scratch you always take Shaq but adding to some established teams there are position concerns. Like I would take prime Klay over Shaq for the 98 Spurs. What am I gonna do? Bench Duncan or Drob?

In this situation where it’s all about wins because the title is virtually assured it’s just a chemistry issue not talent. All these would be unstoppable super teams in the playoffs. But I need 70 wins first.

I would honestly play Duncan at SF in that situation and just sit back and watch them destroy the paint. Drob, young Shaq, and young Duncan could move. We have stiffs like Horford out here playing great defense on the perimeter but they couldn't? I think they could too. Guarantee they'd beat a version with Klay instead of prime Shaq.

Just because Shaq is 3rd team doesnt mean he has to be 3rd option. Tim Duncan is 2nd team and wouldn't give a **** about being 3rd or even 4th option. So the notion that your All NBA 3rd team selection has to be 3rd option is a misnomer. Duncan or Stockton are both 2nd team but would be perfect in 3rd option (scoring) roles.

tpols
06-25-2022, 11:45 AM
I already have mj and prime duncan so I'm set on perimeter and interior scoring and defense

klay was a great perimeter defender with a great motor and an absolutely wet jumpshot could light teams up like no other. he earned the splash bro nickname.

he's the perfect fit to round out the roster

yea but whose your role player center going to be that young 30/15 Shaq smashes? You think Klay will make up for that?

There's gotta be a way we can put this in a simulation.

red1
06-25-2022, 11:46 AM
yea but whose your role player center going to be that young 30/15 Shaq smashes? You think Klay will make up for that?

There's gotta be a way we can put this in a simulation.

my team would beat yours.

06 duncan can guard young shaq. just need him to slow him down enough for mj and klay to light your team up.

tpols
06-25-2022, 12:13 PM
my team would beat yours.

06 duncan can guard young shaq. just need him to slow him down enough for mj and klay to light your team up.

I have Duncan and Jordan on my team too. So that cancels out. You re betting on a 17 ppg Klay to outproduce 30/15 Shaq. That's some pea brain shit. :oldlol:

Both Shaq and MJ played in the triangle so they're already accustomed to the same high level system. The chemistry argument doesn't even work.

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 12:24 PM
I would honestly play Duncan at SF in that situation and just sit back and watch them destroy the paint. Drob, young Shaq, and young Duncan could move. We have stiffs like Horford out here playing great defense on the perimeter but they couldn't? I think they could too. Guarantee they'd beat a version with Klay instead of prime Shaq.

Just because Shaq is 3rd team doesnt mean he has to be 3rd option. Tim Duncan is 2nd team and wouldn't give a **** about being 3rd or even 4th option. So the notion that your All NBA 3rd team selection has to be 3rd option is a misnomer. Duncan or Stockton are both 2nd team but would be perfect in 3rd option (scoring) roles.

I wouldn’t say it’s a misnomer because nobody believes it to begin with. Absolutely nobody thinks the team they were on determines the option. We had a team with Pippen off the first team and KD off a second. I suspect Carbine isn’t saying Pippen is the first scoring option he’s just looking for ideal chemistry. And we have to.

Once you set aside the fact that all these teams can and should win the title it’s about nothing but ideal out the gate coast to coast chemistry and will to win.

It isn’t about sheer talent because these teams don’t play each other and the biggest issue is regular season wins since they would all win a title in a normal league.

There have only been 4 69 win teams and none had a second goat tier player in his prime. You need a lot of good players but you don’t need 2 GOAT scorers like Jordan and Shaq with another guy who plays in the same area. Duncan is the perfect second guy for most with his demeanor but a Klay or Reggie is the perfect other one for chemistry over another massive ego star I’d say.

Shaq is better than a lot of guys he might not be better for chemistry wise to have an epic coast to coast season year one.

Your team might beat some of the others in a series.

It could also win less games than them.

houston
06-25-2022, 12:25 PM
2016 Lebron
2006 Dirk
1996 Robinson

This the perfect trio right here.

Shooter
06-25-2022, 12:31 PM
If MJ isn't getting paired up with defensive anchor Pippen well um...We all saw 1-9 right?

Your soul is mine -Shang Tsung

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 12:32 PM
Like if the 14 Spurs had to add someone and it could be Lebron or Reggie/Klay I feel like they would fit better than Lebrons immense talent and need for the ball.

The better player isn’t always the best fit when you’re trying to win more games not just a title which is likely either way.

You think the 96 Bulls plus Shaq win more games?

I don’t. There’s an upper limit. Nobody will ever win them all. 70ish is the reasonable limit and adding talent doesn’t help much at that point.

Makes for an easier title run maybe but that’s it. KD on the warriors situation. Easier to win the title but you aren’t gonna just shoot from 73 to 80 wins off the talent difference between he and Barnes. Talent often comes at the expense of the day to day functioning of the team.

tpols
06-25-2022, 12:32 PM
I wouldn’t say it’s a misnomer because nobody believes it to begin with. Absolutely nobody thinks the team they were on determines the option. We had a team with Pippen off the first team and KD off a second. I suspect Carbine isn’t saying Pippen is the first scoring option he’s just looking for ideal chemistry. And we have to.

Once you set aside the fact that all these teams can and should win the title it’s about nothing but ideal out the gate coast to coast chemistry and will to win.

It isn’t about sheer talent because these teams don’t play each other and the biggest issue is regular season wins since they would all win a title in a normal league.

There have only been 4 69 win teams and none had a second goat tier player in his prime. You need a lot of good players but you don’t need 2 GOAT scorers like Jordan and Shaq with another guy who plays in the same area. Duncan is the perfect second guy for most with his demeanor but a Klay or Reggie is the perfect other one for chemistry over another massive ego star I’d say.

Shaq is better than a lot of guys he might not be better for chemistry wise to have an epic coast to coast season year one.

Your team might beat some of the others in a series.

It could also win less games than them.

I agree it all comes down to chemistry when it comes to every team having absurd talent.

The guy I questioned had Klay Thompson over prime Shaq. With both our other stars being exactly the same ~ MJ and Duncan.

The only argument that could possibly be made is that MJ and Shaq wouldn't fit. But we know that they both played under the same exact elite system... same coach... same elite results with MJs clone.

What's the chemistry issue here?

red1
06-25-2022, 12:35 PM
I have Duncan and Jordan on my team too. So that cancels out. You re betting on a 17 ppg Klay to outproduce 30/15 Shaq. That's some pea brain shit. :oldlol:

Both Shaq and MJ played in the triangle so they're already accustomed to the same high level system. The chemistry argument doesn't even work.

its not about talent its about fit

mj is going to dominate the ball and who will he kick out to? a 40% clutch 3-point shooter?

I'll have roleplayer scrubs throw 5 bodies at shaq and duncan will put in work with scrubs on my team switching onto your duncan

I would beat your team

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 12:43 PM
I agree it all comes down to chemistry when it comes to every team having absurd talent.

The guy I questioned had Klay Thompson over prime Shaq. With both our other stars being exactly the same ~ MJ and Duncan.

The only argument that could possibly be made is that MJ and Shaq wouldn't fit. But we know that they both played under the same exact elite system... same coach... same elite results with MJs clone.

What's the chemistry issue here?

Shaq and Kobe literally ruined their dynasty with chemistry issues and won less games with them as co leaders than they did when Shaq was clear and undisputed number 1. They only won 60 twice and it was with the worse versions of Kobe as Shaq did his thing and they played with good 3rd options.

Someone has to be the man I’d say. And I’d say it need to be Jordan. Shaq accepting that fully on day one for epic chemistry is hard to assume. Duncan wouldn’t give a shit and Reggie or Klay would fall right into position too.

tpols
06-25-2022, 01:49 PM
Shaq and Kobe literally ruined their dynasty with chemistry issues and won less games with them as co leaders than they did when Shaq was clear and undisputed number 1. They only won 60 twice and it was with the worse versions of Kobe as Shaq did his thing and they played with good 3rd options.

Someone has to be the man I’d say. And I’d say it need to be Jordan. Shaq accepting that fully on day one for epic chemistry is hard to assume. Duncan wouldn’t give a shit and Reggie or Klay would fall right into position too.

Kobe and Shaq were both capable of averaging 30+ ppg together in the playoffs. 1a and 1b situations can exist with optimal fit.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cTb-tOmJ9UI/hqdefault.jpg

Kobe and Shaq collided potentially harder than any duo ever in terms of fighting for 1st option. They still won 3 rings in a row and had an all time GOAT run in 2001 together.

People generally accept that Kobe was more "glory hungry" than MJ and willing to break the offense over it. Yet the Kobe Shaq duo still dominated. How would MJ fare worse?

I've still yet to see someone make a coherent argument that Shaq and MJ wouldn't work when a disgruntled Kobe and Shaq had ultimate results.

And then to argue Klay over prime Shaq because of chemistry when Shaq and MJ played in the exact same system???

Like I said I wish there was a simulation site to calculate this and we could put money on it. I dont even care about money but would be down to take some off people making such absurd arguments even if I had to throw it in a creek afterwards just to balance out the truth karma.

Overdrive
06-25-2022, 01:52 PM
2016 Curry
2006 Wade
1996 Shaq

Game over.

Would be my pick.

Kblaze8855
06-25-2022, 01:55 PM
Why on earth are you talking about rings and playoff scoring averages and so on?

All of these teams would win rings.

We are talking about winning 70 games first which requires rare chemistry not just being unbeatable in a series.

The question isn’t if Jordan and Shaq could work or if Kobe and Shaq worked.

The question is do they form immediate 96 bulls or 16 warriors day one epic chemistry.

Who won titles and all that isn’t the question. You would win a title with 50 version of these teams. And who among them wins a series doesn’t matter either.

You aren’t playing each other. You’re building lineups to win the most games which tends to involve immense chemistry not just the talent that would let them win the title.

tpols
06-25-2022, 02:12 PM
We are talking about winning 70 games first which requires rare chemistry not just being unbeatable in a series.

Okay...I was thinking most dominant overall when it matters. You want 70 win regular season chemistry in the mix? I think south beach has the best choice then.

Curry
Wade
Shaq

Perfect blend of outside, midrange, and inside scoring and teamwork. If Curry could do 73 with klay and dray I'd assume substituting them out for shaq and wade would yield even better.

Or they may just get bored and save energy half way through the season.

Either way taking '16 klay over '96 Shaq is absolute basketball blasphemy.

Carbine
06-25-2022, 07:40 PM
'96 Shaq didn't give two shits about pick and roll defense.

He would get his 30/15 and give it all back by teams picking on him in this era. Detroit's current head coach isn't getting him to assert effort with that particular thing. It took Phil Jackson calling his ass out for it to help at all.

999Guy
06-25-2022, 07:59 PM
Curry/Dray/Shaq

Curry/Draymond solved basketball on both ends as far as approach and play style.

You give them Shaq, who to me crushes Durant on both ends even in 96 and they could legitimately get 70 next to young dummies and rookies.

That trio would be able to play their entire games next to each other. Duos involving Jordan, Duncan and LeBron just wouldn’t. Not nearly enough skill or court vision there.

Reggie43
06-25-2022, 08:32 PM
Jordan/Durant/Shaq would be my pick but if I was forced to include Reggie in there lol I would go with Jordan/Duncan/Miller

iamgine
06-25-2022, 08:58 PM
'96 Shaq is a trap option. The guy only played like 50 games. You can't afford that if you're trying to win 70 games.

Taurus
06-27-2022, 01:10 AM
Durant always seems to get pouty and less compliant to his role when he's not the main star of the team (yes I'm only basing this off of his Warriors stint, but when else has he not been the main star of the team)

Pairing him with players better than him seems like it might be a trap pick.

Toizumi
06-27-2022, 08:28 AM
1996 Jordan
2016 LBJ
2006 Tim Duncan

MJ is there for the scoring, lock down D, attitude and playing hero ball when needed. LBJ is Pippen on steroids and TD gives them an anchor down low + buckets when needed.