PDA

View Full Version : I feel like the 14 Spurs would beat about 6 of those teams.

Kblaze8855
06-28-2022, 09:16 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2206290644550124.jpeg

red1
06-28-2022, 09:23 PM
yeah they would. they would have a great shot at every team outside of the top-3. 01 lakers would be a tough matchup with shaq and the 2017 and 2018 warriors are the most stacked team of all time. a lot of these teams are about even with them, like the 13 heat and 16 cavaliers and maybe the 09 lakers with that skilled front court.

and I think they would demolish a few of these teams.

they were deep and had every scrub hitting every shot and between kawhi and old man duncan they were a very balanced defensive team. patty mills danny green ginobili kawhi everyone was on point with their shooting they looked like the warriors before the warriors.

and they were starving for a ring after coming so close. you knew they were out for blood.

I would have loved to see the 2012 heat with wade closer to his prime and all of the role-players a couple of years younger, vs the 2014 spurs. I think that would have been a great series.

kawhileonard2
06-28-2022, 09:27 PM

2014 Spurs went 7 vs Dallas and was down 2-1 vs them in 2014. Where is the 2019 Raptors at?

Smook A.
06-28-2022, 09:31 PM
How the hell are the 2014 Spurs not in that picture :facepalm

Spurs m8
06-28-2022, 09:32 PM
Absolutely they would

Spurs m8
06-28-2022, 09:32 PM
2014 Spurs went 7 vs Dallas and was down 2-1 vs them in 2014. Where is the 2019 Raptors at?

Lol they'd sweep those Raptors

red1
06-28-2022, 09:36 PM

nah in hindsight that was an allstar team

kawhi lowry siakam freddy gasol all all-stars at one point, and good role-players like ibaka danny green and norman powell

old man gasol shut down young embiid by himself - he'd be able to handle old man duncan. I think we'd give them a run for their money with a much better kawhi

kawhileonard2
06-28-2022, 10:15 PM

They couldn't sweep the 8th seeded Mavs. Took 7 to beat them.

ralph_i_el
06-28-2022, 10:20 PM
I'd take them over all those other teams besides the Warriors with KD. The Celtics are up there and took two 7 game series in the East :confusedshrug:

Axe
06-28-2022, 10:28 PM
As long as kawhit load managed throughout the rs.

rmt
06-29-2022, 12:33 PM
The last 3 games by 2014 Spurs were sublime - I likened it to "being in the zone." But people forget that Kawhi averaged 9 points in the first 2 games - averaged 14.3 pts throughout the playoffs. 2014 Spurs were just not enough to challenge the better Finals teams particularly not having a great "go to" superstar as the higher ranked teams did. Those last 3 games were the precursor of the Warriors to come.

SouBeachTalents
06-29-2022, 12:39 PM
The last 3 games by 2014 Spurs were sublime - I likened it to "being in the zone." But people forget that Kawhi averaged 9 points in the first 2 games - averaged 14.3 pts throughout the playoffs. 2014 Spurs were just not enough to challenge the better Finals teams particularly not having a great "go to" superstar as the higher ranked teams did. Those last 3 games were the precursor of the Warriors to come.
They definitely hit their peak those last 3 games, but they were laying some serious beatdowns throughout the playoffs.

They destroyed the Mavs in Game 7, beat the Blazers by 15 points or more in every win, and their first 3 wins against OKC came by 17, 35 & 28 points. After that slow start against Dallas they really kicked things into a gear matched by very few other teams.

ShawkFactory
06-29-2022, 12:41 PM
They definitely hit their peak those last 3 games, but they were laying some serious beatdowns throughout the playoffs.

They destroyed the Mavs in Game 7, beat the Blazers by 15 points or more in every win, and their first 3 wins against OKC came by 17, 35 & 28 points. After that slow start against Dallas they really kicked things into a gear matched by very few other teams.

Yea they were just getting better and better. So many different guys were contributing in huge ways. It was like a perfect machine that had completely figured everything out by those last 3 games in the finals.

tpols
06-29-2022, 12:43 PM
The 2014 spurs had no superstars and were nearly beat in the 1st round by old Dirk. Its only in hindsight after laying an all time beat down on the Heat that people all of a sudden started marveling at them. They would lose to almost every team on that list except maybe 03 spurs and 13 heat.

Kblaze8855
06-29-2022, 12:51 PM
People generally don’t give a shit what happens in an early round. Like the Celtics are 4th on this list and got taken to 7 by an absolute pretender 37 win Hawks team but beat Kobe and Pau in 6 in the finals. It happens. A lot of all time teams got pushed in earlier rounds but only the finals gets talk. One of those 7 or whatever hall of fame Knick teams barely made it out of the first round. Russell’s Celtics had some scares early. Showtime went to 7 with a mavs team. All anyone ever talks about is them winning and the great finals performances.

ShawkFactory
06-29-2022, 12:51 PM
The 2014 spurs had no superstars and were nearly beat in the 1st round by old Dirk. Its only in hindsight after laying an all time beat down on the Heat that people all of a sudden started marveling at them. They would lose to almost every team on that list except maybe 03 spurs and 13 heat.

Isn't winning huge in the finals like..a big deal when discussing their place? :lol

Regardless, in the RS they won 62 games and were the #1 SRS team by a significant amount despite Duncan, Manu, Parker, and Kawhi (lol) all load managing, sometimes at the same time. With those guys playing and healthy they're a 67ish type win team and it showed as they got rolling in the playoffs.

3ba11
06-29-2022, 12:52 PM

The stats show that the Spurs only blew away the Heat - everyone else was competitive by comparison

The Heat drastically underperformed against the Spurs compared to the Western opponents - this confirms that the 14' Heat were a 1st Round team out West.

They were a 1st Round team out West that missed the 15' Playoffs by 1/2 game because Wade/Bosh missed 40 games - so they barely fell off and then nearly made the 16' ECF with just Wade.. So they recovered well with Lebron

3ba11
06-29-2022, 01:09 PM
Thread Cliffs

Why can't Lebron have a core of old guys with superior brand of ball?? Why is it always his opponents that have superior brand of ball?

Accordingly, Duncan > Lebron because his skillset allows coaches to implement GOOD BASKETBALL, while Lebron's weak brand of big man ball-dominance forces teams to pursue a talent-based approach (all-star team strategy.. team-hopping)

LeGoat4Life
06-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Thread Cliffs

Why can't Lebron have a core of old guys with superior brand of ball?? Why is it always his opponents that have superior brand of ball?

Accordingly, Duncan > Lebron because his skillset allows coaches to implement GOOD BASKETBALL, while Lebron's weak brand of big man ball-dominance forces teams to pursue a talent-based approach (all-star team strategy.. team-hopping)

Cause Lebron never beat any all time good healthy teams

All his rings are * based on injury or teammate bailing him out

2012 Shorten season
2013 ray allen
2016 Kyrie + injuried warrior team
2020 Shorten Season + Disney

3ba11
06-29-2022, 01:12 PM

2012 Shorten season
2013 ray allen

Agreed.. And why weren't Lebron's super-teams as good as Duncan's non-super-teams?

Why were the odds even but the Heat lost by record amount?

There wasn't a talent difference, so the Heat simply employed a vastly inferior brand of ball

tpols
06-29-2022, 01:54 PM
Isn't winning huge in the finals like..a big deal when discussing their place? :lol

Regardless, in the RS they won 62 games and were the #1 SRS team by a significant amount despite Duncan, Manu, Parker, and Kawhi (lol) all load managing, sometimes at the same time. With those guys playing and healthy they're a 67ish type win team and it showed as they got rolling in the playoffs.

They won against a team that literally laid down and quit though.

How did old Dirk, Monta Ellis, and the Mavs give them more trouble (by a lot) than the Heat? Because the Heat quit mid series when Kawhi got unusually hot. As the spurs fan pointed out he started the series averaging below 10 ppg and then all of a sudden blew up.

@ Kblaze The Heat quit. The 80s Celtics and Pistons never quit. They had too much chemistry, pride, and grit to just lay down. Showtime always had a battle coming their way.

ShawkFactory
06-29-2022, 02:00 PM
They won against a team that literally laid down and quit though.

How did old Dirk, Monta Ellis, and the Mavs give them more trouble (by a lot) than the Heat? Because the Heat quit mid series when Kawhi got unusually hot. As the spurs fan pointed out he started the series averaging below 10 ppg and then all of a sudden blew up.

@ Kblaze The Heat quit. The 80s Celtics and Pistons never quit. Showtime always had a battle coming their way.

Idk..how did the 08 Celtics have significantly more trouble with the Cavs than the Lakers? Sometimes things happen. The Mavs also gave the Spurs more trouble than the 60 win Thunder.

I don't think Kblaze (or anyone) is saying that the 14 team is better than the Showtime Lakers or 80s Celtics or bad boys. Just that they'd beat a lot of the teams on that list, particularly peaking the way they did in the playoffs. Which I agree with.

3ba11
06-29-2022, 02:13 PM
Idk..how did the 08 Celtics have significantly more trouble with the Cavs than the Lakers? Sometimes things happen. The Mavs also gave the Spurs more trouble than the 60 win Thunder.

I don't think Kblaze (or anyone) is saying that the 14 team is better than the Showtime Lakers or 80s Celtics or bad boys. Just that they'd beat a lot of the teams on that list, particularly peaking the way they did in the playoffs. Which I agree with.

Why didn't Lebron have a better team than Duncan's Spurs in 2014 considering the Heat were the on-paper talent favorite (preseason favorite), 2-time defending champion, and had a younger core?

Don't tell me Wade was breaking down when he was still a 20/5/5 player and all-star from 13-16' - he also had those numbers against the #1 defense Pacers in the 14' ECF (near-equal scoring partner to Lebron).. And the Heat still had Bosh to get 25 (although he was in a spot-up role alongside Lebron).

3ba11
06-29-2022, 02:16 PM

So they mostly played with reduced talent, which means a great brand of ball explains the #1 SRS

Btw, Kawhi and the Spurs "got hot" because they were the fresher team from resting against the Heat's ball-dominance.. It's an attrition battle and Lebron-ball loses the attrition battle against good brand of ball.. Teams always "get hot" on Bron-ball

tpols
06-29-2022, 02:31 PM

The Cavs had a much tougher frontline than the Lakers. Did you see what Garnett did to Gasol? He made him his bitch that year.

Contextually the big 3 Celtics in 2008 were a much stronger core than the 2014 spurs star wise. And they would never lay down to the 2014 spurs like that.

I mean... were talking '08 Garnett vs '14 Duncan. All Star Pierce and Allen vs ancient versions of Parker and Manu. The Celtics would beat the 2014 Spurs comfortably.

3ba11
06-29-2022, 02:58 PM
Thread Cliffs

The "comp" argument doesn't work for preseason favorites because that would reward underachieving the expectation.

Ultimately, only a bad brand of ball can cause favored talent to underachieve, such as Lebron's preseason favorites falling to Finals underdog or loser for 6 straight years (11-16'), or losing as the favorite in 09', 10', 11', or losing with the preseason favorites in 21', 22'..

So Lebron's bad brand causes favored talent to underachieve

ShawkFactory
06-29-2022, 03:16 PM
The Cavs had a much tougher frontline than the Lakers. Did you see what Garnett did to Gasol? He made him his bitch that year.

Contextually the big 3 Celtics in 2008 were a much stronger core than the 2014 spurs star wise. And they would never lay down to the 2014 spurs like that.

I mean... were talking '08 Garnett vs '14 Duncan. All Star Pierce and Allen vs ancient versions of Parker and Manu. The Celtics would beat the 2014 Spurs comfortably.

Tell that to Dwight. Unless matchups only matter for you in this specific argument. 20 minutes of old Ben Wallace is big but..yea.

I think the 2008 Celtics are certainly one of the teams listed that could have beaten the Spurs. Although...I never said that they couldn't. You just completely took me mentioning the 08 Celtics out of context and made the comparison yourself :lol

999Guy
06-29-2022, 03:54 PM
So they mostly played with reduced talent, which means a great brand of ball explains the #1 SRS

Btw, Kawhi and the Spurs "got hot" because they were the fresher team from resting against the Heat's ball-dominance.. It's an attrition battle and Lebron-ball loses the attrition battle against good brand of ball.. Teams always "get hot" on Bron-ball

Trying too hard. Why would Miami get worn down from standing around watching LeBron, and SA stay fresher through a MOTION offense?

Just shut the hell up.

Johnny32
06-29-2022, 04:00 PM

2012 Shorten season
2013 ray allen

hurrr, cuz jordone never beat any all time good healthy teams.

91 - worthy/scott hurt
92 - clyde hurt
93 - kj hurt
96 - gp hurt

Johnny32
06-29-2022, 04:02 PM

91 - worthy/scott hurt
92 - clyde hurt
93 - kj hurt
96 - gp hurt

oh i forgot the paxson and kerr, hurrr bailouts durrr.

red1
06-29-2022, 04:24 PM
these kobe and jordan fans are ****ing retarded :roll:

tpols and 3ball playing dumb and dumber :roll:

Lakers Legend#32
06-29-2022, 04:26 PM
The Spurs were boring.

red1
06-29-2022, 04:29 PM
they had like 5 guys shooting 40% from three that was easily the best scoring spurs team of all-time

WhiteKyrie
06-29-2022, 05:01 PM
Hell no, 2014 Spurs aren’t that special. They faced a flawed and depleted Heat team with a shell of D-Wade.

Always been Vulture Champs.

Of teams that won? Because 2017 Cavs were amazing too, but here’s my list.

1) 2017 Warriors (Curry, KD, Klay)
2) 2001 Lakers (Shaq w/ Kobe)
3) 2008 Celtics (KG, Pierce, Allen)
4) 2013 Heat (LeBron, Wade, Bosh)
5) 2018 Warriors (Curry, KD, Klay)
6) 2016 Cavs (LeBron w/ Kyrie)
7) 2022 Warriors (Curry, Klay, Poole, Wiggins)
8) 2020 Lakers (AD w/ LeBron)
9) 2009 Lakers (Kobe w/ Gasol)
10) 2010 Lakers (Kobe, Gasol, Artest)

IMO … three prominent reoccurring names on that list in terms of winning.

LeGoat4Life
06-29-2022, 05:03 PM

91 - worthy/scott hurt
92 - clyde hurt
93 - kj hurt
96 - gp hurt

Dont skip school kiddo

You are literally too dumb if you can't see the difference

LAL
06-29-2022, 05:13 PM
Was that the finals where Boris Diaw begged the Frozen One to shoot everytime?

WhiteKyrie
06-29-2022, 05:15 PM
Was that the finals where Boris Diaw begged the Frozen One to shoot everytime?

It was the one where he disappeared for large stretches when Miami desperately needed a momentum shifting scoring binge from their best player.

Only for it to never happen.

And then stats were padded for the box score in garbage time after the game had thoroughly been decided.

He did have an amazing start to game 5 before quitting and folding it in

LAL
06-29-2022, 05:15 PM
No never mind it was the one where he almost cried about Kawhi coming back in.

LAL
06-29-2022, 05:17 PM
It was the one where he disappeared for large stretches when Miami desperately needed a momentum shifting scoring binge from their best player.

And then stats were padded for the box score in garbage time after the game had thoroughly been decided.

GOD i remember that! How many times has he done this shit now? Lost count jesus..

I will never understand the appeal for this dude.

Nilocon165
06-29-2022, 05:20 PM
The 2017 Cavs were better than the 16 team.

Johnny32
06-29-2022, 05:22 PM
GOD i remember that! How many times has he done this shit now? Lost count jesus..

you clearly don't remember shit but desperate narratives from "plz wuv my kobe and jordone" nerds.

Lebron23
06-29-2022, 05:22 PM

He is superior than your favorite player.

WhiteKyrie
06-29-2022, 05:37 PM
The 2017 Cavs were better than the 16 team.

Agreed. Also, awesome avatar. GOAT Bruce Wayne. His style was sick too in that scene.

He is superior than your favorite player.

Not if your favorite player is Jordan.

red1
06-29-2022, 06:41 PM
got tired of beating up these kobe fans behind the school and now Im too old to beat up these old heads that worship a bald fraud like baldan

those 6/6 cotton candy white boy rings going up against hornacek with scottie the trunk pippen on his own team

beat magic when he had HIV coursing through his veins and when kareem was this version of cap, aka already in the old-folks home and out of the league:

https://images.indianexpress.com/2019/09/steve-rogers-759.jpg

meanwhile lebron is going up against this every year, being the only player in NBA history with a finals MVP over a 73-win team:

https://i0.wp.com/static3.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Captain-America-Different-Versions.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/75/c7/b375c7a409b2c1eaafcf56ef23a110b3--lebron-james-stats-nba-finals-.jpg

SouBeachTalents
06-29-2022, 06:48 PM

So when he gets off to a good start and doesn't maintain it it's "quitting and folding it in". But when he puts up big production later in the game it's his "stats were padded for the box score in garbage time after the game had thoroughly been decided".

So basically, regardless of when he scores or plays well, he gets criticized :lol

Regardless, the stat padded narrative has been disproven multiple times already.

rmt
06-29-2022, 09:09 PM
Was so focused on the 2014 Spurs that I forgot to mention that the 2003 Spurs don't belong on that list of top 10 teams of the 21st Century. 2005 (in particular) and 2007 Spurs team were better than 2003 - that team was a peak Duncan, 20 year old second year Parker and (crazy) rookie Manu. They would constantly build up leads only to lose them with boneheaded plays that young, immature teams abound with.