PDA

View Full Version : Why is basketball discourse utter trash?

StrongLurk
06-29-2022, 05:23 PM
Not even talking about ISH, but just any NBA discourse? Talking heads in the media exist for hot takes or takes from former NBA players like Kendrick Perkins who can barely talk. Total trash.

NBA has the WORST fandom out of all major sports because most viewers are young, casual, and ignorant of anything that came before them. Also we are riddled with trolls and player stans who derail discussions. This is what happens when the NBA decides to market superstar players instead of TEAMS. Also social media has really ruined sports talk. Anyone can say anything at anytime with FULL CONFIDENCE, even if they don't know what they are talking about.

I think the worst part of basketball discussion is it's 90% NEGATIVE. Rarely is their actual celebration and appreciation of the "essence" of basketball. If you look at any major discourse after a basketball game has finished, MOST of the common/popular comments are focused on the LOSING team. Barely anyone is celebrating the winning team. The comments are always "losing team choked" OR "losing team sold" OR "so and so has no help". Things are getting to the point where it's pointless to even try to have real discussions.

RRR3
06-29-2022, 05:27 PM
I doubt it’s any more trash than most sports. It’s worse than baseball though because baseball is the only sport that’s fully embraced logic.

Kblaze8855
06-29-2022, 05:27 PM
Because agreement and respecting the greatness of everyone doesn’t trend on Twitter no matter how rational it may be. People don’t respect you despite your faults till it’s in retrospect.

bison
06-29-2022, 05:31 PM
Social media is the biggest culprit for me. The shift from being a team oriented league to a superstar oriented league had been happening since Jordan stepped on the scene. But it wasn’t until social media where all basketball discourse got reduced to content creation and filtering everything through memes. As a result we have an incredibly one dimensional discourse on basketball where failure makes for better meme and content creation.

StrongLurk
06-29-2022, 05:33 PM
I doubt it’s any more trash than most sports. It’s worse than baseball though because baseball is the only sport that’s fully embraced logic.

NFL, Hockey, Soccer are all better because a lot of the fandom supports TEAMS, which actually builds culture, respect, and knowledge of history. NBA fandom mostly follows a couple bandwagon teams or stan certain players, but then know nothing else about the sport or what's happening. And of course once those bandwagon teams suck again, the fans disappear or move on to another team. Easy come, easy go.

FilmyCogTurner
06-29-2022, 06:13 PM
Social media and technology played a huge role - also didn't help having the leagues top player shit over the spirit of the game in 2010 for the sake of his "Lelegacy".

I miss the respect for the game the players had and the legends that came before it that were treated as basketball royalty - that was cool as **** to me. The game used to mean something.

RRR3
06-29-2022, 06:39 PM
Social media and technology played a huge role - also didn't help having the leagues top player shit over the spirit of the game in 2010 for the sake of his "Lelegacy".

I miss the respect for the game the players had and the legends that came before it that were treated as basketball royalty - that was cool as **** to me. The game used to mean something.
Way to prove OP right by making the thread about your crush.

FilmyCogTurner
06-29-2022, 07:51 PM
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FcQhWrl1 CrGD04%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Full Court
06-29-2022, 07:55 PM
Social media is the biggest culprit for me. The shift from being a team oriented league to a superstar oriented league had been happening since Jordan stepped on the scene. But it wasn’t until social media where all basketball discourse got reduced to content creation and filtering everything through memes. As a result we have an incredibly one dimensional discourse on basketball where failure makes for better meme and content creation.

Exactly. Because people wrap themselves around players' nuttsacks when it's a team sport and they should be fans of a team.

SATAN
06-29-2022, 08:01 PM
I think the worst part of basketball discussion is it's 90% NEGATIVE.

Couldn't agree more. It's not very interesting unless you're up for some kind of immature back and fourth with some numskull pulling random stats and half truths out of his ass.