PDA

View Full Version : Chris Webber vs Alonzo Mourning?

TAZORAC
07-01-2022, 04:13 PM
Who was the better player, Webber or Mourning?

I'm going with Mourning, a fringe MVP candidate at one point vs Webber a solid all-star

Phoenix
07-01-2022, 04:47 PM
Who was the better player, Webber or Mourning?

I'm going with Mourning, a fringe MVP candidate at one point vs Webber a solid all-star

Webber was an MVP caliber player at his peak as well( 4th in 2001 vs 2nd for Mourning in 1999. I'd argue doing that in 2001 was tougher in a league with peak Shaq/Duncan, Iverson, Kobe, Garnett, Dirk, Vince. TMac vs 1999 with past prime Malone, young Duncan,Iverson, Shaq was a year away from outrigt MDE status, young Frobe, etc).

Mourning had a little better career, both of them fell off prematurely from injury. Webber may have slightly peaked higher in a tougher conference( early 2000s west).

bizil
07-01-2022, 05:01 PM
Gotta go C Webb. The same size as Zo pretty much. But was WAY MORE SKILLED a player. The more skilled player ISN'T the better player in all cases. Zo hands down was the better two way player. But Webb was the superior scorer, passer, and rebounding. If we are talking strictly offense, Webb is among the most SKILLED PF's ever. For dudes in that 6'10 and 250 pound range, Webb and DC before TRULY changed the perception of what PF's that size could do. And Webb SHINED in that Golden Era of PF's in the 2000s. He was in the top four along with Timmy, KG, and Dirk.

But to Zo's credit he was in arguably the best center crop ever. And was in the top 5 along with Dream, Shaq, David, and Ewing. Just think SCORING WISE he wasn't on the level of the other four.

SouBeachTalents
07-01-2022, 05:04 PM
It's crazy to think how differently Webber would be perceived today if Horry doesn't make that 3, or if the Kings don't get shafted in Game 6, or just if just a play or two goes differently in Game 7.

I know his prime was cut short due to injury, but being the clear cut best player on a title winning team is as drastic a career and rep changer as a player can have. And if the Kings had won in '02 I think he would be considered, or at least be in the mix, as one of the 50 greatest players ever, and be a no brain selection for the 75th anniversary team.

Instead, Horry's 3 goes in, and now he's basically an afterthought. It's always amusing to me how fickle these athletes legacies are, literally one play goes differently and your entire reputation and standing in the sport is completely different. I've been thinking about that with Durant against the Bucks recently, his toe is behind the line and so much of his reputation is totally changed today.

1987_Lakers
07-01-2022, 05:10 PM
It's crazy to think how differently Webber would be perceived today if Horry doesn't make that 3, or if the Kings don't get shafted in Game 6, or just if just a play or two goes differently in Game 7.

I know his prime was cut short due to injury, but being the clear cut best player on a title winning team is as drastic a career and rep changer as a player can have. And if the Kings had won in '02 I think he would be considered, or at least be in the mix, as one of the 50 greatest players ever, and be a no brain selection for the 75th anniversary team.

Instead, Horry's 3 goes in, and now he's basically an afterthought. It's always amusing to me how fickle these athletes legacies are, literally one play goes differently and your entire reputation and standing in the sport is completely different. I've been thinking about that with Durant against the Bucks recently, his toe is behind the line and so much of his reputation is totally changed today.

Jerry West would probably be a top 5 player ever if he wins like half of the Finals he was in. 9 Finals appearances, lost 4 Finals that went to a game 7, that is brutal.

ShawkFactory
07-01-2022, 05:59 PM

I definitely agree overall but I don’t know if the Nets are beating the Suns.

SouBeachTalents
07-01-2022, 06:32 PM
I definitely agree overall but I don’t know if the Nets are beating the Suns.
The Suns for sure could've won that series, but if Harden & Kyrie are able to play I'd pick Brooklyn to win.

plowking
07-01-2022, 08:01 PM
I'm a Heat fan but I'd take Webber.

He'd be a monster in today's league given how good a passer he is and his ability to move.

Meticode
07-01-2022, 08:32 PM
Webber was so fun to watch on those King teams. I used to love watching King's Webber and T'Wolves Garnett play each other.

Full Court
07-01-2022, 08:50 PM
That's a really good question. Those two are about as close as you can get.

TAZORAC
07-02-2022, 12:03 PM
I'm a Heat fan but I'd take Webber.

He'd be a monster in today's league given how good a passer he is and his ability to move.

I don't think he'd be a monster today. Webber wasn't very atlthetic and he couldn't shoot the 3.

L.Kizzle
07-02-2022, 12:18 PM
I don't think he'd be a monster today. Webber wasn't very atlthetic and he couldn't shoot the 3.
You must be thinking of another player. Maybe Chris Mihm not Chris Webber.

Im Still Ballin
07-02-2022, 12:29 PM
A great question; it depends on what your team needs.

Do you want a defensive anchor that'll lock down the paint with shot-blocking? Or a jump-shooting offensive centrepiece that hits high-leverage passes from the elbows?

dankok8
07-02-2022, 11:33 PM
My gut tells me prime Zo was a bit more impactful. A defensively neutral big man better be transcendent on offense before you take him over a 20/10 guy who is a DPOY caliber defender. Webber was a great passer but he wasn't an efficient scorer compared to Zo and his offensive edge overall doesn't make up for Zo's defensive dominance.

1987_Lakers
07-02-2022, 11:43 PM
My gut tells me prime Zo was a bit more impactful. A defensively neutral big man better be transcendent on offense before you take him over a 20/10 guy who is a DPOY caliber defender. Webber was a great passer but he wasn't an efficient scorer compared to Zo and his offensive edge overall doesn't make up for Zo's defensive dominance.

This is where I lean as well, a player that gives you top tier rim protection gives you so much in terms of overall impact.

houston
07-03-2022, 06:35 AM
Webber wins this. both was choke artist players but Webber better

TAZORAC
07-04-2022, 02:21 AM
Prime vs Prime, I'm going Alonzo Mourning.

Reggie43
07-04-2022, 06:40 AM
Zo because he was much more physically imposing around the paint and was not afraid to mix it up.

Webber was obviously more skilled but settled for jumpers too much and wasnt really focused on defense despite having the tools to be good/great at that end of the floor.

ClipperRevival
07-04-2022, 09:53 PM
Peak wise Webber was just better. At his best, he was like a top 7 ish player.

But Zo gets underrated too. He gave you 20 PPG, 10 RPG, 3 BPG during his prime. One of the better defenders ever for the C position, which obviously means huge impact.