PDA

View Full Version : Who is the next GOAT?

StrongLurk
07-04-2022, 09:35 PM
MJ had the title for a while until Lebron eventually surpassed him as GOAT.

But really who is next? Giannis and Luka probably have the best odds for players currently in the league.

SATAN
07-04-2022, 09:41 PM
No one will surpass LeBron.

/Thread.

kawhileonard2
07-04-2022, 09:41 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33297498/the-nba-75th-anniversary-team-ranked-where-76-basketball-legends-check-our-list

StrongLurk
07-04-2022, 09:47 PM

/Thread.

Eh, you are probably right but I think it's worth having a conversation about potential candidates.

Axe
Giannis from top 1000 pippen-calibre type of player to top 10 goat in a span of less than 20 games. :hammerhead:

Luka a big ball-dominant euro that doesn't have a winning brand of ball while being reliant on talent for playoff success. :biggums:

Cyrus334

/Thread.

In team hopping :lol

Carbine
07-04-2022, 09:51 PM
Nobody from this current crop. The next hope is the #1 pick next year. He passes the eye test of what a goat looks like.

FKAri
07-04-2022, 10:14 PM
I must've missed the memo regarding Lebron passing MJ as the GOAT.

Neither's being passed up anytime soon. Nobody on the horizon.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33297498/the-nba-75th-anniversary-team-ranked-where-76-basketball-legends-check-our-list

Not bad at a glance. But how pathetic is it that the paragraph discussing MJ talks more about his brand and marketing than his on court exploits?

ClipperRevival
07-04-2022, 10:21 PM
I must've missed the memo regarding Lebron passing MJ as the GOAT.

Neither's being passed up anytime soon. Nobody on the horizon.

Not bad at a glance. But how pathetic is it that the paragraph discussing MJ talks more about his brand and marketing than his on court exploits?

It was covered in the first sentence babyboi:

"The rings. The MVPs. The scoring titles. The shoes. The GOAT."

Baller789
07-04-2022, 10:33 PM
MJ had the title for a while until Lebron eventually surpassed him as GOAT.

Well, OP's first point is already cappin', so it makes his thread invalid. :(

FKAri
07-04-2022, 10:33 PM

I figured an MJ stan would take more offense to it but if you're good with it then who am I to complain?

iamgine
07-04-2022, 10:36 PM
LaMelo Ball

Full Court
07-04-2022, 10:41 PM
Bronies still in damage control mode. :lol Mr. 22-33 finals record isn't even in the GOAT conversation.

Giannis is unlikely, but has a chance.

ClipperRevival
07-04-2022, 10:42 PM
I figured an MJ stan would take more offense to it but if you're good with it then who am I to complain?

MJ fam good. :cheers:

Baller789
07-04-2022, 10:44 PM
Bronies still in damage control mode. :lol Mr. 22-33 finals record isn't even in the GOAT conversation.

Giannis is unlikely, but has a chance.

Nah, I think its a little too late for Giannis.

Full Court
07-04-2022, 10:53 PM
Nah, I think its a little too late for Giannis.

Probably. But it's POSSIBLE he could win four straight FMVPs and end up in the conversation. But yes, I don't expect that to happen.

2much_knowledge
07-04-2022, 11:16 PM
I dont see it for now

But i HOPE one player will do it before i die!!!

Im all in for a player that exceeds that resume

Baller789
07-04-2022, 11:35 PM
I dont see it for now

But i HOPE one player will do it before i die!!!

Im all in for a player that exceeds that resume

I am too.

Not this fake media driven BS pretentious GOAT.

Johnny32
07-05-2022, 07:08 AM
LeLuka.

Johnny32
07-05-2022, 07:14 AM

the rule changes for him, the selfish me-first chucking, the media hype, top 2 all time and dropping.

E_Stamkos
07-05-2022, 07:41 AM
OP the type of dude who waits for the glory hole to be empty so he can sniff it.

John8204
07-05-2022, 07:45 AM
Goats are generational in Basketball so Luka is the favorite to be the next guy up because of his age and numbers. The issue really is the rings and if he can collect them under Mark Cuban.

StrongLurk
07-05-2022, 10:47 AM
Goats are generational in Basketball so Luka is the favorite to be the next guy up because of his age and numbers. The issue really is the rings and if he can collect them under Mark Cuban.

Good point.

OrlandoMagicGuy
07-05-2022, 02:14 PM
Michael Jordan is still the general consensus GOAT so everyone will have to wait another 30 years.But something tells me he'll still be the GOAT and no one will be surpassing him in this lifetime.

Being the league's best scorer,one of the best perimeter defenders for an entire decade (88-98)
Winning 6 championships for one franchise as the #1 guy while leading in scoring
Career PPG Leader in Regular Season & Playoffs
Smart,Clutch & Super Competitive

Extremely tough task for new and upcoming players

John8204
07-05-2022, 06:19 PM
Michael Jordan is still the general consensus GOAT so everyone will have to wait another 30 years.But something tells me he'll still be the GOAT and no one will be surpassing him in this lifetime.

Being the league's best scorer,one of the best perimeter defenders for an entire decade (88-98)
Winning 6 championships for one franchise as the #1 guy while leading in scoring
Career PPG Leader in Regular Season & Playoffs
Smart,Clutch & Super Competitive

Extremely tough task for new and upcoming players

Jordan fans are so annoying that the polarizing nature of society will push for other guys to come along and rise up and bury him.

Also he did it during the Steroid era so everything he accomplished has an asterisk.

ImKobe
07-05-2022, 06:23 PM
Jordan fans are so annoying that the polarizing nature of society will push for other guys to come along and rise up and bury him.

Also he did it during the Steroid era so everything he accomplished has an asterisk.

Your favorite player is literally named LeROID...

John8204
07-05-2022, 06:32 PM
Your favorite player is literally named LeROID...

Lebron is not my favorite player...not even top five when it comes to favorite players (Wilt, Kobe, Stockton, Bird, Butler)...but Jordan fans are cancer that ruins everything

ImKobe
07-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Lebron is not my favorite player...not even top five when it comes to favorite players (Wilt, Kobe, Stockton, Bird, Butler)...but Jordan fans are cancer that ruins everything

Jordan fans have a right to be upset as every great player post-MJ has been compared to him, and anyone not named Kobe has really not measured up to him as a player if we're talking skillset + mentality. The forced Lebron GOAT debates are really ****ing annoying and it's clear to me that no one is serious about it, it's just annoying clickbait that low IQ NBA fans have really taken as facts. I guess you can't blame them when they have no clue about the history of the league or how different the MJ/KB eras were in comparison to the league we see today.

k0kakw0rld
07-05-2022, 08:34 PM
In team hopping :lol

KD holds the title for the biggest team hopper.

SATAN
07-05-2022, 09:15 PM
Jordan fans have a right to be upset as every great player post-MJ has been compared to him, and anyone not named Kobe has really not measured up to him as a player if we're talking skillset + mentality. The forced Lebron GOAT debates are really ****ing annoying and it's clear to me that no one is serious about it, it's just annoying clickbait that low IQ NBA fans have really taken as facts. I guess you can't blame them when they have no clue about the history of the league or how different the MJ/KB eras were in comparison to the league we see today.

This guy has the nerve to mention Kobe Bryant in the same category as Michael Jordan and then goes onto claim LeBron James isn't close.

Jordan stan "logic". :lol

Full Court
07-05-2022, 09:50 PM

You don't even need to be a fan to recognize him as the GOAT. He wins GOAT polls by around 75%. You can't tell me that 75% of all people are Jordan fans.

3ba11
07-05-2022, 10:33 PM
lebron isn't feared

jordan was FEARED:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDdpEWgcYY&t=0m24s

red1
07-05-2022, 10:39 PM
lebron isn't feared

jordan was FEARED:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDdpEWgcYY&t=0m24s

rex chapman. :roll:

bowling green Ohio, his hometown, is one of my clients. a deal that I made sure to help and sell myself.

my boy, what did Steve Kerr Isiah Thomas and Scottie Pippen say?

3ba11
07-05-2022, 10:49 PM

bowling green Ohio, his hometown, is one of my clients. a deal that I made sure to help and sell myself.

You heard Rex - Jordan dominated NBA players like they were in high school

You had to fear Jordan's MOOD...

Heck, Lebron is a goody 2 shoes with no real life experience (coddled since he was first discovered at 10 years old) . People can tell he was born with a silver spoon and never had any real experience, so no one fears him

kawhileonard2
07-05-2022, 11:37 PM

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?494830-Difference-between-Lebron-and-Tmac

red1
07-05-2022, 11:41 PM
You heard Rex - Jordan dominated NBA players like they were in high school

You had to fear Jordan's MOOD...

Heck, Lebron is a goody 2 shoes with no real life experience (coddled since he was first discovered at 10 years old) . People can tell he was born with a silver spoon and never had any real experience, so no one fears him

rex is a 6'4 white boy.

that's a far cry from what lebron went up against.

sure Rex was the best player in his highschool and on his highschool team of his time.

he's no kd. or kawhi. or curry. or klay. or kobe. or any of the other perimeter players of his era that lebron was better than. that list goes on and on btw. melo. tmac. wade. arenas. rose. ginobili. etc etc etc etc.

and we already know what mr. kerr says.

Axe
07-05-2022, 11:48 PM

One thing is for sure; many of them are literally insecure and obsessive. However, older posters also say kobe stans here itb were much worse back in the day. Wasn't able to witness that tho.

Shooter
07-05-2022, 11:50 PM
The next Goat?

Wake me up when someone passes 7,631.

GrayGoat
07-05-2022, 11:52 PM
The next Goat?

Not going to happen anytime soon

Shooter
07-05-2022, 11:58 PM
Not going to happen anytime soon

No sir. It's unbreakable

2much_knowledge
07-06-2022, 01:04 AM
This guy has the nerve to mention Kobe Bryant in the same category as Michael Jordan and then goes onto claim LeBron James isn't close.

Jordan stan "logic". :lol

SKILLSET & MENTALITY

Lebron is clunky and fragile and not loyal to a franchise.

So hes not close

John8204
07-06-2022, 04:51 AM
You don't even need to be a fan to recognize him as the GOAT. He wins GOAT polls by around 75%. You can't tell me that 75% of all people are Jordan fans.

You can recognize him as number 1 (I've always done that) but you can also respect other players in the top ten/five. Who do have valid arguments against MJ...for example.

Lebron James has a game that would translate in any generation...Jordan's game was not effective in the 80's and it really wouldn't have worked in the hard foul era of the 60's/70's.

Wilt Chamberlain they changed the rules to make it harder for Wilt...with Jordan they changed the rules and made it easier for him. Jordan was also able to be surrounded by guys that wouldn't make the cut in the early years because of roster limitations.

Bill Russell had to change his game because he had a HOF at every position and guys coming off the bench. Bill also has twice the titles as Jordan.

Magic Johnson was much more successful than Jordan when it came to playing at the top...the guy came in and made the finals for what 80% of his career...Jordan did it for 40%...same thing with George Mikan he always was in the finals and has 7 championships (2 of which the league doesn't count...but he still did it). We likely don't have an NBA without Mikan.

KAJ played against and succeeded against 3-4 different generations of players...Jordan really only dominated against that 1 generation

Larry Bird beat Jordan in every single game in the post season

Why I call Jordan fans cancer is because these are all valid points but instead of giving those players credibility they get disrespected at an absurdly high level. The hysterics and the over reactions and the inability to look at things critically has created a toxic fandom. You have people who live and breathe on tearing Lebron down...not because he's a bad player but because he's a threat to Jordan's legacy. Jordan fans act like any ground lost in the debate with him..is ground that's lost forever.

Phoenix
07-06-2022, 05:34 AM
You can recognize him as number 1 (I've always done that) but you can also respect other players in the top ten/five. Who do have valid arguments against MJ...for example.

Lebron James has a game that would translate in any generation...Jordan's game was not effective in the 80's and it really wouldn't have worked in the hard foul era of the 60's/70's.

Wilt Chamberlain they changed the rules to make it harder for Wilt...with Jordan they changed the rules and made it easier for him. Jordan was also able to be surrounded by guys that wouldn't make the cut in the early years because of roster limitations.

Bill Russell had to change his game because he had a HOF at every position and guys coming off the bench. Bill also has twice the titles as Jordan.

Magic Johnson was much more successful than Jordan when it came to playing at the top...the guy came in and made the finals for what 80% of his career...Jordan did it for 40%...same thing with George Mikan he always was in the finals and has 7 championships (2 of which the league doesn't count...but he still did it). We likely don't have an NBA without Mikan.

KAJ played against and succeeded against 3-4 different generations of players...Jordan really only dominated against that 1 generation

Larry Bird beat Jordan in every single game in the post season

Why I call Jordan fans cancer is because these are all valid points but instead of giving those players credibility they get disrespected at an absurdly high level. The hysterics and the over reactions and the inability to look at things critically has created a toxic fandom. You have people who live and breathe on tearing Lebron down...not because he's a bad player but because he's a threat to Jordan's legacy. Jordan fans act like any ground lost in the debate with him..is ground that's lost forever.

If you threw all the guys at the very top in a 5 on 5 game, the differences between them are going to be negligible. All this bullshit about who's number 1 and who's number 8 is just that.....bullshit. Rankings are subjective as hell, often contradict and rooted in alot of circumstances. The players ranked ahead of someone like peak, pre-crippling back injury Tracey Mcgrady is much higher than the number of players who were better in terms of talent and ability in a vacuum.

StrongLurk
07-06-2022, 07:12 AM
I think it's pretty obvious Lebron is the GOAT currently. His total body on work is unmatched and he's still a top five player in the league at thirty eight years old. Eye test of course supports Bron as the best player ever as well easily...like it's not that close.

2much_knowledge
07-06-2022, 09:00 AM
I think it's pretty obvious Lebron is the GOAT currently. His total body on work is unmatched and he's still a top five player in the league at thirty eight years old. Eye test of course supports Bron as the best player ever as well easily...like it's not that close.

Nice trolling. Im sure you are laughing as you type it

Johnny32
07-06-2022, 09:12 AM

he's had the best career. the all time reg/post stats are all his. 10 finals, 4 championships, led every championship team in pts, rbds, asts in finals. best scorer, playmaker, rebounder, perimeter defender and paint defender. his role is unmatched by anyone in nba history. i'd also take his peak over anyone but you can argue that. best career isn't debatable after the all time scoring record falls.

3ba11
07-06-2022, 09:20 AM
The Finals streak began with "the decision"

The "decision" to hand-pick the preseason favorite for 6 straight years (11-16')

That negates the "body of work" argument because it was obviously manufactured.- no one should get props for failing to win the East with homecourt in 09/10 and then forming a super-teams to ensure Finals trips going forward

The Finals record also negates the Finals appearances because obviously he wouldn't have made the Finals from the other conference 6 times - so Finals appearances are conference-dependant and don't matter - only winning the Finals matters (aka winning the LEAGUE, not just a weak conference where you stacked the deck)

Elosha
07-06-2022, 12:10 PM
At this point, LeBron has pretty much lost any chance to be GOAT. Delusions abound and Hope Springs Eternal on ISH for LeBron fans. But his longevity simply is not going to exceed MJ's impact, results, or actual on-court play.

LeBron has a good case for # 2, as do others, but his regular season cumulative stats are never going to make up for his deficits.

2much_knowledge
07-06-2022, 01:54 PM
he's had the best career. the all time reg/post stats are all his. 10 finals, 4 championships, led every championship team in pts, rbds, asts in finals. best scorer, playmaker, rebounder, perimeter defender and paint defender. his role is unmatched by anyone in nba history. i'd also take his peak over anyone but you can argue that. best career isn't debatable after the all time scoring record falls.

" Best career isnt debatable"

2 rings
2 finals mvps
1 dpoy
1 mvp
9 scoring tittles
3 steals leader
2 three peats

Short.....

kawhileonard2
07-06-2022, 11:34 PM
" Best career isnt debatable"

2 rings
2 finals mvps
1 dpoy
1 mvp
9 scoring tittles
3 steals leader
2 three peats

Short.....

Agreed!

Shooter
07-06-2022, 11:36 PM
The next Goat?

SATAN
07-06-2022, 11:40 PM
SKILLSET & MENTALITY

Lebron is clunky and fragile and not loyal to a franchise.

So hes not close

Hurr durr mentality. Yeah being a shot jacking asshole is really commendable. :oldlol:

Change your name.

2much_knowledge
07-07-2022, 12:44 AM
Agreed!

How many extra years needed to check that accolades list??

2 lifetimes maybe

dazzer87
07-07-2022, 01:46 AM
:roll::lol:roll:

ralph_i_el
07-07-2022, 11:45 AM
The next GOAT is probably like 11 years old rn.

Axe
07-08-2022, 02:59 AM
The Finals streak began with "the decision"

The "decision" to hand-pick the preseason favorite for 6 straight years (11-16')

That negates the "body of work" argument because it was obviously manufactured.- no one should get props for failing to win the East with homecourt in 09/10 and then forming a super-teams to ensure Finals trips going forward

The Finals record also negates the Finals appearances because obviously he wouldn't have made the Finals from the other conference 6 times - so Finals appearances are conference-dependant and don't matter - only winning the Finals matters (aka winning the LEAGUE, not just a weak conference where you stacked the deck)
1-9

nayte
07-08-2022, 04:00 AM
Bloody Zion just wait and see