PDA

View Full Version : The NBA plans to penalize ‘take fouls’ on fast breaks

iamgine
07-13-2022, 04:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUmdj8sYig4

just seems like a smart play but if they want to bitch and see more action they'll get their way

Kblaze8855
07-13-2022, 06:16 AM
Im not sure the take foul is a good play anyway. Too often it’s some star doing it not even thinking of his potentially being in foul trouble later. Worried about a dunk on the other end in the first quarter so later your best player has 4 fouls mid 3rd instead of 3 and he’s being targeted on D even more because he has to play hands off.

FKAri
07-13-2022, 09:47 AM
just seems like a smart play but if they want to bitch and see more action they'll get their way

It shouldn't be a part of basketball. It's ridiculous that it's allowed to exist. I hate every kind of intentional foul that exists in basketball. A foul should be an error. Not part of an intended basketball play imo. Otherwise something is wrong with the rules and incentives structure.

Baller789
07-13-2022, 10:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUmdj8sYig4

It shouldn't be a part of basketball. It's ridiculous that it's allowed to exist. I hate every kind of intentional foul that exists in basketball. A foul should be an error. Not part of an intended basketball play imo. Otherwise something is wrong with the rules and incentives structure.

They should leave it as is. Its sometimes called a tactical foul for a reason. Its not like the defenders arent penalized for a personal and team foul. We already have the clear path to the basket foul.

If this passes, in a few years, kids would be hyping how Giannis Jr. is so unstoppable at fast breaks compared to his old man. :facepalm

SouBeachTalents
07-13-2022, 11:32 AM
Im not sure the take foul is a good play anyway. Too often it’s some star doing it not even thinking of his potentially being in foul trouble later. Worried about a dunk on the other end in the first quarter so later your best player has 4 fouls mid 3rd instead of 3 and he’s being targeted on D even more because he has to play hands off.
Yeah, I remember Tatum took a few of them during the 1st quarter and thought it was a really dumb trade off. I thought the same thing about 2 for 1’s. I felt like guys were jacking up extremely low percentage shots and basically throwing away a possession.

FKAri
07-13-2022, 12:28 PM
They should leave it as is. Its sometimes called a tactical foul for a reason. Its not like the defenders arent penalized for a personal and team foul. We already have the clear path to the basket foul.

If this passes, in a few years, kids would be hyping how Giannis Jr. is so unstoppable at fast breaks compared to his old man. :facepalm

I think defenders need to be allowed to be more physical and given more tools to actually defend. But because they're not it further incentives using 6 fouls as a resource. I think intentional or tactical fouls cheapen the game. It's like intentional walks in baseball. If you get beat. You should get beat.

ArbitraryWater
07-13-2022, 12:53 PM

this

its difficult of course because some fouls occur as result of trying to play defense but getting beat, but in general this is true

fouls arent or shouldnt be "good basketball plays".

you shouldnt be able to take away 99% points and having to make someone go to the FT line.

that foul should result in a worse position than 99% getting 2 points against you.

you got beat.

FultzNationRISE
07-13-2022, 01:06 PM
The NBA can penalize players all they want, but if they really wanna send a message they should have Lebron penilize guys for the infraction, at center court in front if all the fans.

Serious consequences are the foundation of a good deterrent.

jayfan
07-13-2022, 01:36 PM

This.

FultzNationRISE
07-13-2022, 01:47 PM
The NBA can penalize players all they want, but if they really wanna send a message they should have Lebron penilize guys for the infraction, at center court in front if all the fans.

Serious consequences are the foundation of a good deterrent.

This.

jayfan
07-13-2022, 01:47 PM
I think defenders need to be allowed to be more physical and given more tools to actually defend. But because they're not it further incentives using 6 fouls as a resource. I think intentional or tactical fouls cheapen the game. It's like intentional walks in baseball. If you get beat. You should get beat.

Fouling while behind at the end of the game to preserve the clock doesn't cheapen the game at all. It adds to it.

i'm not a mind reader so i can't say what the players are thinking or not thinking but it seems they are simply following what the coach says is a good idea

doesn't really matter what quarter the dunk is in the 2 points are on the board permanently and can effect the outcome of the game

obviously not a perfect play since no foul is but generally i don't assume i know more than coaches do

doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest players should be able to take a foul occasionally and still not let their man blow by them consistently

i don't really hate anything about a children's game that has to do with the game itself

i try to conserve my hateful energy for things that matter

bison
07-13-2022, 03:46 PM
Sounds like yet another opportunity for video review so refs can decide if its a take foul or common foul. As if we didn't stop the game enough.

FKAri
07-13-2022, 06:01 PM
i'm not a mind reader so i can't say what the players are thinking or not thinking but it seems they are simply following what the coach says is a good idea

doesn't really matter what quarter the dunk is in the 2 points are on the board permanently and can effect the outcome of the game

obviously not a perfect play since no foul is but generally i don't assume i know more than coaches do

doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest players should be able to take a foul occasionally and still not let their man blow by them consistently

i don't really hate anything about a children's game that has to do with the game itself

i try to conserve my hateful energy for things that matter

I'm not losing sleep over it. Nor am I insisting it's having a significant impact on the quality of the game. It's more baffling than it is irritating.

FultzNationRISE
07-13-2022, 06:10 PM
Sounds like yet another opportunity for video review so refs can decide if its a take foul or common foul. As if we didn't stop the game enough.

What do you think of the idea to have Lebron penilize guys?

Im so nba'd out
07-13-2022, 06:44 PM
Just another way for betting refs to manipulate the game by not calling obvious take fouls or call a take foul when someone barely places a finger on someone….what could wrong…?

Baller789
07-13-2022, 08:47 PM

Should the league also penalize guards when they intentionally foul a big when they get a mismatch at the low post?