PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Pippen "this is a tougher era to be successful in" compared to his era

Lebron23
07-14-2022, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFOkpGL2yxA

I agree with Mr Scottie Pippen

Lebron23
07-14-2022, 04:20 PM
“I would yes, I think watching these players, the stamina, the pace of the game. This is a tough game to keep up with the pace and you gotta be able to make shots. If you’re not making shots you’re going to be sitting over there with the coach. So, I think this is a tougher era to be successful in cause you need to be able to shoot the basketball. The guys that shoot the basketball from range are much more valuable.

TheMan
07-14-2022, 04:22 PM
I don't know about that, the number one indicator of success is still winning rings and you got guys wanting to team up to stack the deck, courtesy of our pal LBJ, still chasing that ghost 20 years in :cry:

1987_Lakers
07-14-2022, 04:25 PM
Funny how Steve Smith sitting right next to him who also played in the 90's said "Totally agreed".

But that's the nature of sports, in general players are always getting better. An NFL offensive linemen in the 70's weighed 250 pounds, now they weigh over 300.

Back in the day, people didn't want to be professional athletes like they do today, the money wasn't there. Now with an insane amount of money coming in you get more competition.

To be a legit player in today's league you need tons of versatility, unlike the 90's who had useless PF bruisers that wouldn't even make the NBA today.

Lebron23
07-14-2022, 04:25 PM
Today's NBA Shooting guard are better 3 points shooters. They can literally shoot from anywhere.

8Ball
07-14-2022, 04:30 PM
I would say this "era" is 2017/2018 and above.

Before 2017 you could have 3 guys on your starting 5 that was not able to shoot 3s.

Now you need 4 players in your starting 5 that can shoot 3s.

Lebron23
07-14-2022, 04:31 PM
Funny how Steve Smith sitting right next to him who also played in the 90's said "Totally agreed".

But that's the nature of sports, in general players are always getting better. An NFL offensive linemen in the 70's weighed 250 pounds, now they weigh over 300.

Back in the day, people didn't want to be professional athletes like they do today, the money wasn't there. Now with an insane amount of money coming in you get more competition.

To be a legit player in today's league you need tons of versatility, unlike the 90's who has useless PF bruisers that wouldn't even make the NBA today.

The 1998 Indiana Pacers took them to 7 games in 1998. The Mid 2010's Warriors would dismantle them in a best of 7 series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydaaB-YOX20

TheMan
07-14-2022, 04:34 PM

What improves is training, nutrition, sports medicine. People are basically the same since the Egyptian pharoahs were overworking tens of thousands of slaves to death building their pyramids. A freak of nature like Wilt would be even more devastating today with today's modern advantages. Not saying he would dominate the same way since the game has changed so much but he would easily be amongst the elite today.

1987_Lakers
07-14-2022, 04:35 PM
I would say this "era" is 2017/2018 and above.

Before 2017 you could have 3 guys on your starting 5 that was not able to shoot 3s.

Now you need 4 players in your starting 5 that can shoot 3s.

You can maybe get away with having 3 shooters in your starting lineup, as long as one of the non shooters provides versatility, ala Draymond.

But look at the '96 Bulls starting 5 that won 72 games.

C - Longley
F - Rodman
F - Pippen
G - MJ
G - Harper

Not a single 3 point shooter, defenses would feast on that lineup in today's league. The help defense MJ would be seeing because of lack of spacing would be insane and there are no "illegal defense" rules to bail him out.

Now, of course if you paired MJ with shooters in today's league then it's a different story.

1987_Lakers
07-14-2022, 04:38 PM
What improves is training, nutrition, sports medicine. People are basically the same since the Egyptian pharoahs were overworking tens of thousands of slaves to death building their pyramids. A freak of nature like Wilt would be even more devastating today with today's modern advantages. Not saying he would dominate the same way since the game has changed so much but he would easily be amongst the elite today.

You serious bro, people were wearing Chuck Taylor's on the court just 60 years ago. :oldlol:

TheMan
07-14-2022, 04:40 PM
The 1998 Indiana Pacers took them to 7 games in 1998. The Mid 2010's Warriors would dismantle them in a best of 7 series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydaaB-YOX20

That depends on which rules they're playing under. By today's no touch era, yeah GSWs would be favored but in they played under the 90s rules where Curry can get bodied up, Harper would have him launching 30 footers...I like our chances lol.

TheMan
07-14-2022, 04:43 PM
You serious bro, people were wearing Chuck Taylor's on the court just 60 years ago. :oldlol:

That's my point, Taylors are horrible basketball footwear. Have Wilt wear some adequate footwear and his game would improve. What I'm arguing is that you have low IQ kids thinking humans evolve in terms of a couple of generations lol

1987_Lakers
07-14-2022, 04:47 PM
That depends on which rules they're playing under. By today's no touch era, yeah GSWs would be favored but in they played under the 90s rules where Curry can get bodied up, Harper would have him launching 30 footers...I like our chances lol.

90's players didn't even defend the 3. lol

1987_Lakers
07-14-2022, 04:49 PM
That's my point, Taylors are horrible basketball footwear. Have Wilt wear some adequate footwear and his game would improve. What I'm arguing is that you have low IQ kids thinking humans evolve in terms of a couple of generations lol

Gives these guys some proper footwear and they would dominate today's league

https://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/img/lakers/season_photos/season_1954_1955.jpg

:roll:

Spurs m8
07-14-2022, 04:54 PM
Ah yes, crackhead Scottie

Must be jacking 3s with lack of D

TheMan
07-14-2022, 04:59 PM
Gives these guys some proper footwear and they would dominate today's league

https://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/img/lakers/season_photos/season_1954_1955.jpg

:roll:

Luca Doncic could be in that photo and he would look no different than the other unathletic white boys except for being fatter lol

And I said Wilt, I didn't say every player from the 60s, reading comprehension ain't your strong point.

TheMan
07-14-2022, 05:02 PM
90's players didn't even defend the 3. lol

Because teams weren't chucking 3s back then like today but I'm thinking if the Bulls and GSWs played under the 90s rules, I don't think Harper, Pippen, MJ, Rodman would struggle playing defense out by the 3 point line, getting up on Curry's scrawny ass lol

Not that hard chasing them off a 3 point shot unless they start jacking 30 footers, advantage Bulls :lol

Johnny32
07-14-2022, 05:08 PM
Yeah pretty much common knowledge. Not only are the players more talented and skilled now...the global player pool is much deeper than 30 years ago. And of course player movement makes it ridiculously harder to stay at the top than years past.

TheMan
07-14-2022, 05:27 PM
Yeah pretty much common knowledge. Not only are the players more talented and skilled now...the global player pool is much deeper than 30 years ago. And of course player movement makes it ridiculously harder to stay at the top than years past.

And yet a relatively unathletic slow white guy like Luka Doncic is putting up monster stats in today's NBA and somehow we're supposed to believe past greats who would destroy Doncic in athleticism would struggle today...:roll:

FOH

Johnny32
07-14-2022, 05:29 PM
And yet a relatively unathletic slow white guy like Luka Doncic putting up monster stats in today's NBA and somehow past greats would somehow struggle today

FOH

Wtf is this retard typing about?

TheMan
07-14-2022, 05:35 PM
I've seen your low IQ shit posts, belittling past greats, in particular MJ, arguing his moves wouldn't work today yet Doncic is destroying the league and in terms of athleticism compared to Mike, he's a scrub. Doncic isn't quick, he's not fast and can't jump out of the gym and his handles are nothing to brag about, yet he's doing fine and MJ would struggle today...:roll:

F
U
C
K

O
F
F
!

Johnny32
07-14-2022, 05:37 PM
Someone has the mouth breathing tard's panties in a twist. He's flopping and flailing all over the place.

Cali Syndicate
07-14-2022, 05:38 PM
I remember Luka saying something along the line that it's easier to be successful in the nba than Euroleague. But that the talent level in the nba is higher. This tells me it's more about rules than it is "athletic evolution".

I'm sure you put modern player back in the 50's 60's, they all getting called for carrying all day. Broken a/c game in game out. taking busses to next city. Wearing Chuck Taylor's. The man has a point here.

I also like how today's players are more advanced than 90s players yet doesn't seem to apply to power forwards or centers. For the most part it's all guard or wing players that have "evolved". Again rules play a huge part here.

Johnny32
07-14-2022, 05:39 PM

Ignoring the window licker further and getting back on track. All lefax.

TheMan
07-14-2022, 05:41 PM
I got this jackass on skates
:dancin

1987_Lakers
07-14-2022, 06:10 PM
Luca Doncic could be in that photo and he would look no different than the other unathletic white boys except for being fatter lol

And I said Wilt, I didn't say every player from the 60s, reading comprehension ain't your strong point.

You're not fooling anyone. You know damn well none of those guys would be in today's league.

TheMan
07-14-2022, 06:38 PM
You're not fooling anyone. You know damn well none of those guys would be in today's league.
I didn't say they would :confusedshrug: But if you stuck Luca in that pic, he wouldn't stand out from the others as a purely athletic specimen. Of course we know Luca is legit but it ain't because he got hops nor because he's fast, nor because he's quick nor because he has crazy handles yet he's doing pretty well with the skill set he has. My point, you guys put way too much stock into athleticism as if it's the be all, end all for a quality NBA baller...anyone who thinks Larry Bird couldn't be an NBA star today doesn't know jack shit about basketball...not saying you think this way, this is directed more at mouthbreathers like Johnny32 and his ignorant ilk.

1987_Lakers
07-14-2022, 06:47 PM
I remember Luka saying something along the line that it's easier to be successful in the nba than Euroleague. But that the talent level in the nba is higher. This tells me it's more about rules than it is "athletic evolution".

It's easier to score now because offenses caught up with defenses. This is what you guys don't understand.

Defenses feasted once illegal defense got outlawed, this gave defender freedom to roam around and provide as much help defense as they pleased which was something they couldn't do in the 90's. Best way to combat that is to have more spacing and shooters on your team, makes defenders pay for over helping.

Put the 2017 Warriors in say 2002 and they would drop buckets almost as easily as they did in 2017.

The prototypical 90's power forward who is just a bruiser and a rebounder and has no range is useless in today's league, a player like that can be a major liability in today's spacing era.

1987_Lakers
07-14-2022, 07:00 PM
I didn't say they would :confusedshrug: But if you stuck Luca in that pic, he wouldn't stand out from the others as a purely athletic specimen. Of course we know Luca is legit but it ain't because he got hops nor because he's fast, nor because he's quick nor because he has crazy handles yet he's doing pretty well with the skill set he has. My point, you guys put way too much stock into athleticism as if it's the be all, end all for a quality NBA baller...anyone who thinks Larry Bird couldn't be an NBA star today doesn't know jack shit about basketball...not saying you think this way, this is directed more at mouthbreathers like Johnny32 and his ignorant ilk.

I don't need to judge players just by pictures, I can easily go on youtube and see how those guys played.

This is pretty much the same team I posted a photo of earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiU6GgOr1Q0

Look at the shooting form at 2:52. Laughable.

3:07. A set shot from the perimeter. Jumpers weren't even a thing back then.

4:24. A weird ass hook shot that goes nowhere

Just watching this for 5 minutes shows show drastically flawed the game was back then. No Nike shoes could ever fix that. :lol

Cali Syndicate
07-14-2022, 07:11 PM
It's easier to score now because offenses caught up with defenses. This is what you guys don't understand.

Defenses feasted once illegal defense got outlawed, this gave defender freedom to roam around and provide as much help defense as they pleased which was something they couldn't do in the 90's. Best way to combat that is to have more spacing and shooters on your team, makes defenders pay for over helping.

Put the 2017 Warriors in say 2002 and they would drop buckets almost as easily as they did in 2017.

The prototypical 90's power forward who is just a bruiser and a rebounder and has no range is useless in today's league, a player like that can be a major liability in today's spacing era.

It's easier to play offense than it is defense. Glad you understand. Today's game is about offense and the game has evolved into such. Main problem in this conversation in general is the belief past players wouldn't cut it. Why not? For example Rondo was a poor 3pt shooter but developed into a decent one, but past players couldn't if they tried or had to? I fail to understand this logic. Which brings me to the other point, why has the game evolved to where these guards and wing players are only ones to have evolved to show this advantage over past players? We don't see centers with elite post games. I mean i sont believe its not cause they can't. It's just not that much a part of game anymore and not taught. It's a different era and style of play. That's it.

NBAGOAT
07-14-2022, 07:25 PM
It's easier to play offense than it is defense. Glad you understand. Today's game is about offense and the game has evolved into such. Main problem in this conversation in general is the belief past players wouldn't cut it. Why not? For example Rondo was a poor 3pt shooter but developed into a decent one, but past players couldn't if they tried or had to? I fail to understand this logic. Which brings me to the other point, why has the game evolved to where these guards and wing players are only ones to have evolved to show this advantage over past players? We don't see centers with elite post games. I mean i sont believe its not cause they can't. It's just not that much a part of game anymore and not taught. It's a different era and style of play. That's it.

you use a weird example rondo never developed into a 3pt shooter, tbf other guys have. Post play dropped off(though a few guys are still elite) mainly because defenses can get away with more there and the 3pt shot makes it less optimal a play so you dont focus on that. Also the past could just have better post players, no one has ever been able to master the skyhook like kareem for example.

1987_Lakers
07-14-2022, 07:25 PM

This is true to an extent, but Embiid has a better post game than Ewing & D-Rob did and both are 1st ballot hall of famers. Shit as far as post moves Embiid has more in his arsenal than Shaq.

I'm sure there are some past players who would have developed a nice 3 in today's league, but the problem is it took the NBA 40 years to realize 3 points is more than 2, the point still stands that the league today is way more sophisticated than it has ever been. And no way would those 50's players I posted a vid of would have a shot in today's league, even with proper coaching.

8Ball
07-14-2022, 11:26 PM
I don't need to judge players just by pictures, I can easily go on youtube and see how those guys played.

This is pretty much the same team I posted a photo of earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiU6GgOr1Q0

Look at the shooting form at 2:52. Laughable.

3:07. A set shot from the perimeter. Jumpers weren't even a thing back then.

4:24. A weird ass hook shot that goes nowhere

Just watching this for 5 minutes shows show drastically flawed the game was back then. No Nike shoes could ever fix that. :lol

These guys would score 0 points against any modern NBA team prime for prime.

No wonder Wilt hung 100 on them.