PDA

View Full Version : Does Chick Hearn get enough credit ?

Duderonomy
07-17-2022, 05:49 PM
The long-term Lakers announcer, the terms Slam dunk, air ball, brick, no harm no foul, garbage time,etc all originated from him.

bison
07-17-2022, 07:31 PM
He coined a lot of basketball vocabulary but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The man’s voice was the soundtrack of my childhood. that rapid fire play-by-play staccato, deep knowledge of the game, the ability to tell a joke on the fly. He made it fun every night even during the bad 90s years when my Cedric ceballos lakers were down by 25 in the 4th and packed away for the game. With the death of radio, play by play calling is a lost art but we had it until the last ring of the Kobe/shaq 3 peat: laker games were broadcasted in ‘simulcast’ which meant chick Hearn was calling both radio and tv, the last basketball announcer to do that. So if you grew up on KCAL and Prime Sports West you know what I’m talking about. Chick Hearn is the vin scully of the nba and no announcer comes close.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-17-2022, 07:38 PM
He coined a lot of basketball vocabulary but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The man’s voice was the soundtrack of my childhood. that rapid fire play-by-play staccato, deep knowledge of the game, the ability to tell a joke on the fly. He made it fun every night even during the bad 90s years when my Cedric ceballos lakers were down by 25 in the 4th and packed away for the game. With the death of radio, play by play calling is a lost art but we had it until the last ring of the Kobe/shaq 3 peat: laker games were broadcasted in ‘simulcast’ which meant chick Hearn was calling both radio and tv, the last basketball announcer to do that. So if you grew up on KCAL and Prime Sports West you know what I’m talking about. Chick Hearn is the vin scully of the nba and no announcer comes close.

I have a sneaking suspision you're NPZ on youtube. :lol The guy with every fukkin Laker game.

But yeah. The Lakeshow 'down years' weren't just great because of NVE, Eddie, Ced and Campbell. Chick Hearn deserved half the credit. His play by play made Laker games that much more exciting. Kinda miss KCAL9. Not as big as Spectrum Sports which is mostly all day Lakers, but there was more nuance with the pregame and postgame.

bison
07-17-2022, 07:50 PM
I have a sneaking suspision you're NPZ on youtube. :lol The guy with every fukkin Laker game.

But yeah. The Lakeshow 'down years' weren't just great because of NVE, Eddie, Ced and Campbell. Chick Hearn deserved half the credit. His play by play made Laker games that much more exciting. Kinda miss KCAL9. Not as big as Spectrum Sports which is mostly all day Lakers, but there was more nuance with the pregame and postgame.

For sure man. I didn’t even consider how much tv changed. Spectrum Sports dedicates 80% of its airtime to ‘laker top 10 highlights’ nostalgia and ‘backstage access’. But when I was a kid in the 90s, lakers coverage began and ended on the nights kcal or prime west televised a game. Chick would interview a laker pre game and then during half time they would show a pre-taped interview of the opposing star. Good times. There wasn’t much of a post game. They recapped the game to soft jazz music. If you wanted to hear or talk about post game reactions you would hop on to AM sports talk radio.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-17-2022, 08:05 PM
For sure man. I didn’t even consider how much tv changed. Spectrum Sports dedicates 80% of its airtime to ‘laker top 10 highlights’ nostalgia and ‘backstage access’. But when I was a kid in the 90s, lakers coverage began and ended on the nights kcal or prime west televised a game. Chick would interview a laker pre game and then during half time they would show a pre-taped interview of the opposing star. Good times. There wasn’t much of a post game. They recapped the game to soft jazz music. If you wanted to hear or talk about post game reactions you would hop on to AM sports talk radio.

I didn't have TV guide in the mid 90s, but knew the Laker schedule because of newspapers. Was awesome flipping the channels and randomly seeing a Laker game on the weekend.

Win or lose you were entertained. Pretty sure they did have a postgame. Don't remember how consistent it was but Alan Massengale and Worthy hosted it. Back then, Big Game didn't have a filter either. Hah.

1987_Lakers
07-17-2022, 10:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d9jXKvOAPo

eliteballer
07-17-2022, 11:50 PM
I never truly appreciated how good we had it with Chick until the league pass era and heard how terrible most other teams local announcers were, and frankly still are.

Lakers Legend#32
07-18-2022, 02:22 AM
Chick is a God.

TheGoatest
07-18-2022, 09:48 AM
Enough credit? How much credit can an announcer get? He's like #1, 2, 3, 4 AND 5 on the list of the league's most recognized announcers.

ClipperRevival
07-18-2022, 07:56 PM
Listening to Chicky Baby on the radio was almost as good as watching on TV. No one had his ability to call the actual, "play by play" like him. You would listen on the radio and literally can envision what was happening on the court because he described everything perfectly. He's da GOAT announcer to me and a clear distance between him and #2.

ClipperRevival
07-18-2022, 08:00 PM
Another note about Chick.

He had a streak of never missing a Laker broadcast from like 1965 - 2001, something like 3,300 straight games. He was dedicated.

Chick Stern
07-21-2022, 05:08 PM
When people ask who the greatest Laker was - the answer is Chick

Kblaze8855
07-21-2022, 05:21 PM
He does not. He pretty much rested basketball talk and only a few of us know it or care.

Xiao Yao You
07-21-2022, 05:24 PM
I grew up on a lot of Chickisms through Hot Rod Hundley. Lived in southern Cal for 9 months and got to hear Chick live but I preferred the exciting young Clippers squad at the time

Kblaze8855
07-21-2022, 05:37 PM
I grew up on a lot of Chickisms through Hot Rod Hundley. Lived in southern Cal for 9 months and got to hear Chick live but I preferred the exciting young Clippers squad at the time

Mark Jackson, Manning, and Harper or way back with world b free?

Xiao Yao You
07-21-2022, 05:51 PM
Mark Jackson, Manning, and Harper or way back with world b free?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAC/1990.html

Ron Harper looked like the closest thing to MJ briefly after they got him and made a great back court with Gary Grant before they both blew out their knees and were never the same again. Charles Smith was never better than he was in the 2nd half of that year either. A healthy Manning doing it all. Norman as their 3rd forward. They had some other role players I liked to. Was a brief blip of hope for Clippers fans before they went back to being the worst franchise in the league

Certainly not World B. I've had enough of modern day World B. Clarkson as it is

rawimpact
07-22-2022, 10:37 AM
Lakers give him a ton of credit, that's why Chick's name is hung in the rafters alongside Shaq, west, kareem, worthy and bryant.

As far as the rest of the NBA goes probably not.

kawhileonard2
07-22-2022, 10:59 PM
He was pretty good. What more credit does he need?