PDA

View Full Version : What about Brad Daugerty

L.Kizzle
07-21-2022, 11:25 PM
How good was Brad Daugherty?

This man literally gets no mentions, like NONE.
He came into the league in the center heavy mid 1980s. Between 1983 and 1987: Ralph Sampson, Akeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, Brad and David Robinson were all number one picks at the center position in consecutive seasons. Three of them lived up to the hype, two of them had injury riddled careers.

When Brad was healthy, he was an All-Star. A literally 20/10 guy. Brad was a 5 time All-Star between 1988 and 1993. He's only made one All-NBA team because he had the misfortune of playing at the same time as peak Hakeem and Patrick and D Rob. Older Kareem, Moses and Chief and younger centers like Shaq, Duke and Zo.

Cleveland won 50+ games three times with Brad (and Mark Price) at the helm.

How come he never gets mentioned? Even when people bring up injured players, he never gets not even a whisper.

HoopsNY
07-21-2022, 11:41 PM
You basically outlined why. Keep in mind, he was forced to retire early during his prime. He was only 28 in his last season. Nothing he could do because Chicago kept curb stomping them, even when they had 3 All-Stars. Couple that with the elite centers that he came into the league with, and it was basically a given that he'd be forgotten.

It kinda reminds me of Elton Brand a little. Brand was such a great player IMO and he was solid on both ends of the floor. But in an era with Webber, KG, Duncan, Dirk, and Sheed, he really got little attention.

Xiao Yao You
07-21-2022, 11:43 PM
I had on Ewing's tier when he played behind Hakeem and Robinson. One of the great passing bigs ever. Led some very good Cleveland teams

ShawkFactory
07-21-2022, 11:52 PM
I had on Ewing's tier when he played behind Hakeem and Robinson. One of the great passing bigs ever. Led some very good Cleveland teams

Was he a “leader” though? He was obviously skilled and did a lot of things really well but to me he seems like a Chris Webber type who lacked that next level.

Those Cavs teams were pretty good I don’t think he carried anything.

TheMan
07-21-2022, 11:55 PM
Was he a “leader” though? He was obviously skilled and did a lot of things really well but to me he seems like a Chris Webber type who lacked that next level.

Yes they were, if the Bulls didn't exist, I think they could have won a title.

Xiao Yao You
07-21-2022, 11:58 PM

Could say David Robinson lacked that next level compared to Hakeem too. He wasn't the athlete those two were so he wasn't going to be at their level. The guy could ball though. Smart. I think he was only 20 after 4 years of college. Could shoot. Score. Good rebounder. Elite passer.

L.Kizzle
07-22-2022, 12:00 AM
You basically outlined why. Keep in mind, he was forced to retire early during his prime. He was only 28 in his last season. Nothing he could do because Chicago kept curb stomping them, even when they had 3 All-Stars. Couple that with the elite centers that he came into the league with, and it was basically a given that he'd be forgotten.

It kinda reminds me of Elton Brand a little. Brand was such a great player IMO and he was solid on both ends of the floor. But in an era with Webber, KG, Duncan, Dirk, and Sheed, he really got little attention.
Brand made like 2 All-Star appearance in 18 seasons. Brad was an All-Star every season he was healthy besides his rookie sesson.

Xiao Yao You
07-22-2022, 12:02 AM
Brand made like 2 All-Star appearance in 18 seasons. Brad was an All-Star every season he was healthy besides his rookie sesson.

Yeah Brand had a short peak.

RRR3
07-22-2022, 12:04 AM
That's not a good way to measure how good someone actually was lol.

HoopsNY
07-22-2022, 12:04 AM

Yea but Brand was in the Western Conference mostly with the Clippers in his prime years when the West had KG, Duncan, Dirk, and Sheed. And Brand became injury prone after 2007 when he was just 27.

FultzNationRISE
07-22-2022, 12:21 AM
Problem is theres simply a higher bar for being remembered in Believand now. If you didnt win a chip... are you really worth remembering?

These guys might have been worth celebrating prior to 2016, but things have changed. There is a new LeStandard, and guys like Brad Daugherty just dont cut the muster anymore.

L.Kizzle
07-22-2022, 12:23 AM
Yea but Brand was in the Western Conference mostly with the Clippers in his prime years when the West had KG, Duncan, Dirk, and Sheed. And Brand became injury prone after 2007 when he was just 27.
Brad played with Pat Ew, Moses (still an All-Star until 1990), Parish (still an All-Star until 91) and Young Shaq and Zo. Still made 5 in his 8 season's. Laimbeer as well in the east.

Round Mound
07-22-2022, 12:38 AM
Very Good Player. All Star Level for 5 Years. Somewhat a slower and less athletic version of Duncan but also with very b-ball IQ.

sdot_thadon
07-22-2022, 12:43 AM
Soft? Which was a death knell for a big in that era. I know he made allstar teams though and his squads had some pretty good records too. Losing to Mjs baby bulls hurt their reputation too much perhaps?

L.Kizzle
07-22-2022, 12:45 AM
Soft? Which was a death knell for a big in that era. I know he made allstar teams though and his squads had some pretty good records too. Losing to Mjs baby bulls hurt their reputation too much perhaps?
I don't think a soft player is putting up 21/11 in the 80s? But hell, they say the same about Ralph Sampson.

ShawkFactory
07-22-2022, 01:04 AM
Could say David Robinson lacked that next level compared to Hakeem too. He wasn't the athlete those two were so he wasn't going to be at their level. The guy could ball though. Smart. I think he was only 20 after 4 years of college. Could shoot. Score. Good rebounder. Elite passer.

Well yea but we’re not comparing Daugherty to people on that level. Robinson lacked Hakeem level instinct maybe but was still an MVP/DPOY player. Not what I’m talking about.

I’m saying that Daugherty could have maybe been better if he had a fire. He just seems like a nice guy who happened to be really good at basketball.

Xiao Yao You
07-22-2022, 01:51 AM
Problem is theres simply a higher bar for being remembered in Believand now. If you didnt win a chip... are you really worth remembering?

These guys might have been worth celebrating prior to 2016, but things have changed. There is a new LeStandard, and guys like Brad Daugherty just dont cut the muster anymore.

lots of players worth remembering. It's not all about rings

Axe
07-22-2022, 02:13 AM
lots of players worth remembering. It's not all about rings
Hopefully everyone remembers toody as the best role player of all-time. :cheers:

Xiao Yao You
07-22-2022, 02:21 AM
Hopefully everyone remembers toody as the best role player of all-time. :cheers:

the best role player that got traded for 5 firsts! :roll:

TheGoatest
07-22-2022, 04:23 AM
He was active in the 1993-94 season, so you can throw him in the pile of jordon's "mighty" competition who couldn't win a championship the season where a team whose second leading scorer in the playoffs averaged 13.8 points on .376 shooting won a championship.

L.Kizzle
07-22-2022, 12:01 PM
Real talk, who had the better NBA career:
Ralph Sampson or Brad Daugherty or Yao Ming?

Xiao Yao You
07-22-2022, 12:04 PM

Daugherty not really close. Ming made a lot of all star teams because of the billion Chinese votes. Sampson had the most potential certainly

1987_Lakers
07-22-2022, 05:33 PM

Daugherty, just strictly because he had more healthy years.

I feel Sampson & Yao were better players when they were healthy. Sampson probably would have been the best player of the 3 if he never dealt with injuries, the hype he got out of college was real and he produced right off the bat as a rookie, the NBA at the time had never seen a player with his size that had his shooting, athletic ability, & ball handling, but he was pretty much done as a player by age 26.

Yao probably peaked higher of the 3, but he could only stay healthy for half a season once he peaked. People forget how good Yao was when he was healthy, he was giving Dwight Howard the business everytime they matched up.

L.Kizzle
07-22-2022, 07:35 PM
Do people who watch Nascar know this guy was a ball player in a previous life?
I compare it to Ahmad Rashad in the NBA. Me as a youngster had know idea he was an NFL Pro Bowler many times over.

kawhileonard2
07-22-2022, 10:40 PM
He is basically Jokic now.

RRR3
07-22-2022, 11:06 PM
He is basically Jokic now.
Good to know you’re not just stupid about LeBron.