PDA

View Full Version : Was Hall of famer Dennis Rodman really better than RON ARTEST?

TAZORAC
07-22-2022, 11:30 PM
Prime vs Prime, I'm taking Ron Artest, a guy who will never even be considered for the hall of fame. Better inside scorer and could handle the ball a little bit.

Who would you rather have on your team, Rodman or Artest?

Xiao Yao You
07-22-2022, 11:38 PM
Rodman. Artest is an idiot

Baller789
07-23-2022, 02:02 AM
Do you think Artest can shutdown Shaq?

John8204
07-23-2022, 03:54 AM
Yes...Rodman is criminally underrated Artest was solid but he's below Bill Laimbeer in my opinion.

TAZORAC
07-24-2022, 05:21 PM
Do you think Artest can shutdown Shaq?

If he didn't care about making Shaq mad, like Rodman did.

RachlNicholsazz
07-24-2022, 05:51 PM
Madonna went out publicly with Rodman and wanted to pay him $10 million to impregnate her. Pippen was just a boy toy booty call and Jordan was reject roadkill. Rodman made dressing like woman semicool in the 90s when everyone was homophobic.

Ron Artest worked at Best Buy while on the Chicago Bulls. Rodman wins all day every day

ClipperRevival
07-24-2022, 10:47 PM
This is just a personal opinion but I might take Rodman on my all time starting 5. The value he brings is unreal. Maybe THE most versatile defender ever (guarded MJ to Shaq), GOAT tier rebounder, GOAT tier stamina/energy and high IQ bball player. A guy like that is going to help me win a lot of games.

Artest was a great perimeter defender but his value on D pales in comparison to what Rodman brought. Plus, Artest was just an average O player.

HoopsNY
07-24-2022, 11:17 PM
This is one of those comparisons where impact has to be measured by more than what's apparent. Rodman was part of a Pistons team that went to the finals 3 years, winning 2 championships. They were also in the ECF in '87 and '91, though Rodman's impact wasn't as significant in '87. He won DPOY both years with Detroit ('90, '91). In 1993, Detroit was 36-26 with Rodman, but only 4-16 without him, despite having Zeke, Mills, and Joe Dumars.

In '94, the Spurs traded Sean Elliott for Rodman, and went from being a 49 win team to a 55 win team. By 1995, they improved to a 62 win team.

Then Chicago adds him in 1996 and you all know what happened there. Chicago went on to win 3 straight championships. Rodman was getting FMVP votes in '96.

He joined LA in '99 and LA was a much better team with him as well. Let's take a look at these years:

'93 DET w/Rodman: 36-26 | .692%, (4-16 w/o| .200%)

'94 SAS w/Rodman: 53-26 | .670%, (2-1 w/o | .667%)

'95 SAS w/Rodman: 40-9 | .816%, (22-11 w/o | .667%)

'96 CHI w/Rodman: 57-7 | .890%, (15-3 w/o | .833%)

'97 CHI w/Rodman: 48-7 | .872%, (21-6 w/o | .778%)

'99 LAL w/Rodman: 17-6 | .739%, (14-13 w/o | .518%)

It's obvious that Rodman was an incredible floor raiser. Even at the age of 38 with the Lakers, he was still making a significant impact. Some people might say it had to do more with the addition of Glen Rice. Rice's first game doesn't come until after Rodman's 8th game. During that stretch? The Lakers were 8-0 without Rice.

One could argue Rodman might be the greatest role player ever. I certainly believe so. I'm taking him as a 3rd guy over just about any player in history (Parish, Baylor, Bosh, Manu, Draymond, Odom, Allen, Grant, Worthy, etc).

Imagine a combination of LeBron+Kryie+Rodman? Or Magic+Kareem+Rodman? How about Shaq+Penny+Rodman? Or KD+Westbrook+Rodman?

HoopsNY
07-24-2022, 11:22 PM
This is just a personal opinion but I might take Rodman on my all time starting 5. The value he brings is unreal. Maybe THE most versatile defender ever (guarded MJ to Shaq), GOAT tier rebounder, GOAT tier stamina/energy and high IQ bball player. A guy like that is going to help me win a lot of games.

Artest was a great perimeter defender but his value on D pales in comparison to what Rodman brought. Plus, Artest was just an average O player.

Artest wasn't bad offensively and I'd say he was above average. His prime years are probably 2003-09 where he put up 18 PPG on 43/35/73 splits. Those aren't bad numbers, especially in an era that wasn't as free flowing as today. But despite that, I'm still taking Rodman over Artest. Rodman's impact was just incredible.

One argument against Rodman though is that he was always on title contending teams. So I guess I'm biased in that respect. That should be factored into it. We saw how well Artest played alongside Kobe/Pau, which resulted in a championship. It was Artest who put up 20 pts and 5 steals in game 7, though on low efficiency.

I doubt that he replicates what Rodman did, though. Just my opinion.

sdot_thadon
07-24-2022, 11:34 PM
This is one of those comparisons where impact has to be measured by more than what's apparent. Rodman was part of a Pistons team that went to the finals 3 years, winning 2 championships. They were also in the ECF in '87 and '91, though Rodman's impact wasn't as significant in '87. He won DPOY both years with Detroit ('90, '91). In 1993, Detroit was 36-26 with Rodman, but only 4-16 without him, despite having Zeke, Mills, and Joe Dumars.

In '94, the Spurs traded Sean Elliott for Rodman, and went from being a 49 win team to a 55 win team. By 1995, they improved to a 62 win team.

Then Chicago adds him in 1996 and you all know what happened there. Chicago went on to win 3 straight championships. Rodman was getting FMVP votes in '96.

He joined LA in '99 and LA was a much better team with him as well. Let's take a look at these years:

It's obvious that Rodman was an incredible floor raiser. Even at the age of 38 with the Lakers, he was still making a significant impact. Some people might say it had to do more with the addition of Glen Rice. Rice's first game doesn't come until after Rodman's 8th game. During that stretch? The Lakers were 8-0 without Rice.

One could argue Rodman might be the greatest role player ever. I certainly believe so. I'm taking him as a 3rd guy over just about any player in history (Parish, Baylor, Bosh, Manu, Draymond, Odom, Allen, Grant, Worthy, etc).

Imagine a combination of LeBron+Kryie+Rodman? Or Magic+Kareem+Rodman? How about Shaq+Penny+Rodman? Or KD+Westbrook+Rodman?

Good stuff.

I hold Meta in higher regard than the average fan but I'd prefer Dennis because in his best years he had game changing impact beyond locking his man down. He was able to get under the skin of entire Frontlines single handedly. Guys are in foul trouble against basically a non scoring threat, he was a menace.

HoopsNY
07-24-2022, 11:43 PM
Good stuff.

I hold Meta in higher regard than the average fan but I'd prefer Dennis because in his best years he had game changing impact beyond locking his man down. He was able to get under the skin of entire Frontlines single handedly. Guys are in foul trouble against basically a non scoring threat, he was a menace.

One can truly appreciate the complexity of basketball through this prism. There are situations where you can say it's probably best to have Artest over Rodman, but also vice versa. A winning formula isn't a plug and play per se.

Still though, Rodman's resume is just ridiculous and if you put him next to a solid 1 and 2, then you're almost guaranteed a championship. Imagine if David Robinson had one more solid player next to him with Rodman? Yea he had Sean Elliott in '95, but I'm thinking a higher tier the way Chicago had Pippen, Houston had Clyde, Utah had Stockton, or Orlando having Penny. I think for sure SAS wins it in both '94 and '95.

sdot_thadon
07-24-2022, 11:53 PM
One can truly appreciate the complexity of basketball through this prism. There are situations where you can say it's probably best to have Artest over Rodman, but also vice versa. A winning formula isn't a plug and play per se.

Still though, Rodman's resume is just ridiculous and if you put him next to a solid 1 and 2, then you're almost guaranteed a championship. Imagine if David Robinson had one more solid player next to him with Rodman? Yea he had Sean Elliott in '95, but I'm thinking a higher tier the way Chicago had Pippen, Houston had Clyde, Utah had Stockton, or Orlando having Penny. I think for sure SAS wins it in both '94 and '95.

No doubt because he would basically be needed to handle one thing and he was great at that. Alot of modern fans turn their nose up at him being called a great player because he didn't score buckets. But on the defensive side of the ball he was there with the best to ever do it and that's.not even touching his impact on the boards. There aren't many modern guys that can do what he did on the boards, maybe too many 3s now and too many long rebounds. Tell you something funny, I saw flashes of it from Tristian Thompson for parts of a couple of seasons with the Cavs, but he couldn't sustain it. And that's the most we've seen since Rodman, flashes of what he did for full games and seasons.

Reggie43
07-25-2022, 12:08 AM
Rodman was obviously better because of his basketball iq but people forget how talented Ron Artest was in his peak.

He was an undisciplined offensive player but he was averaging 19ppg in his prime seasons while giving you Dpoy level effort at the other end of the floor.

What Artest needed was a veteran coach/organization that could deal with the craziness just like what Rodman had with the Pistons and Bulls. Coaches and Players that he would respect.

If only he landed with the Lakers earlier he could have had multiple rings to his name.

ClipperRevival
07-25-2022, 01:04 AM

I am talking specifically about Detroit Rodman, when he was younger, athletic, way more versatile and just more dynamic end to end due to his athleticism.

I think post Detroit Rodman gets a tad overrated. Let's not forget, the league wanted nothing to do with Rodman post SAS due to his mental issues. He was viewed as a malcontent. It took MJ and PJ to reign him in. Post Detroit Rodman was pretty much a 4 or 5, not doing any small ball duties ala Detroit Rodman. Also not nearly as athletic. So his overall impact was just smaller.

Lakers Legend#32
07-26-2022, 02:57 AM
Rodman's an HOF.

Artest is not.

HoopsNY
07-28-2022, 09:52 AM
I am talking specifically about Detroit Rodman, when he was younger, athletic, way more versatile and just more dynamic end to end due to his athleticism.

I think post Detroit Rodman gets a tad overrated. Let's not forget, the league wanted nothing to do with Rodman post SAS due to his mental issues. He was viewed as a malcontent. It took MJ and PJ to reign him in. Post Detroit Rodman was pretty much a 4 or 5, not doing any small ball duties ala Detroit Rodman. Also not nearly as athletic. So his overall impact was just smaller.

I dunno; I mean, look at how well those teams played with/without him. He obviously had a significant impact, and this is off of many years of playing. 1996 is especially important because going into the season, the difference was his addition and MJ returning to form. Now obviously MJ returning to form had a big impact, but Rodman's presence and defense did too.

The numbers with the Lakers are especially astounding. And that was at what, age 37? Imagine if Chicago kept that team together in '99? I think they win another championship honestly.

bizil
07-28-2022, 04:44 PM
Rodman was so damn unique. Arguably the best rebounding and defensive forward of all time. From there LEGIT COULD DEFEND all five positions at an elite level. When it comes to Artest, at his best one of the top two way SF's in the league. BUT I've seen A LOT of great two way wing players. Many I would take over Artest as a matter of fact.

When it comes to Rodman, when u think positionless types of defenders, Rodman will be the FIRST NAME that would come up to many people. When u think great defensive forwards in general, Rodman will be the FIRST NAME many people would say. When it comes to the best rebounding forward (hell possibly player in general), many would say Rodman first. Plus athletic ability and motor was top of the heap as well. Artest's scoring wasn't good enough to supercede what The Worm could do on the court. And as great a defender Artest was, Dennis was still better. And rebounding is easily on Rodman's side.

bizil
07-28-2022, 04:52 PM

For a personal starting five, I get the Rodman selection. He's not worried about scoring one bit. If my team was Curry, MJ, Bron, and Olajuwon at center, I don't need anymore scoring. I'd let Bron be my point forward. With Curry and MJ in the backcourt. And from there, have Olajuwon killing it in the paint. The defense with MJ, Bron, Rodman, and Dream would be crazy tough to score on.