PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have problem judging art?

CeltsGarlic
08-06-2022, 08:43 AM
I only read classics cause I know what Im getting gonna be actually a good book.You can say Im "afraid" ff I pick a random new day work its gonna be pretentious shit and Im too inexperienced to realize it quick enough (can happen) or its plain bad. And there are so many great classics that why even read anything else? :confusedshrug:

Another is music. My friend is a music producer and he often asks me about feedback, and while I like techno/new beat or whatever he produces, and even dipped myself while obv not on his level, whenever he asks about a song of style that I not 100% like I cant give normal opinion lol. Either I like a song and I can give my take how to improve it even , or I dont and empty headed.

Paintings are even harder.

FultzNationRISE
08-06-2022, 09:35 AM
Yeah if you dont have a background in a particular field (which applies to all of us at times depending on the field) it can be hard to understand and critique the nuances of something the way a purist would.

It’s perfectly fine, just try to preface your opinions with an acknowledgement of your lack of experience, then just say what you personally think about it. It’s nothing to get hung up about.

CeltsGarlic
08-06-2022, 10:51 AM
Yeah if you dont have a background in a particular field (which applies to all of us at times depending on the field) it can be hard to understand and critique the nuances of something the way a purist would.

It’s perfectly fine, just try to preface your opinions with an acknowledgement of your lack of experience, then just say what you personally think about it. It’s nothing to get hung up about.

Yeah, just a thought and thats how I feel too.

baudkarma
08-06-2022, 07:18 PM
I know what I like and what I don't like when it comes to art, movies, books, music, food, alcohol... pretty much anything where taste is subjective. My personal opinion is that in many fields, an experts opinion isn't much better than that of a layman. It's been shown that wine-tasting is wildly inconsistent. There have been experiments where the same panel of judges has been (unknown to them) presented with samples of the same wine, from the same bottle even, three times during a tasting, and the scores for each time vary wildly. Fine art is another field where I think the critics are just flailing around and afraid to disagree with one another. To me, Jackson Pollacks paintings look like someone just randomly splashed paint on canvas. And wait, you're hanging that POS up in a museum? Calling it a classic? Paying $2 million just to own it? I honestly wonder if critics are expressing their honest opinions when they discuss art, or if they're just afraid to contradict the majority.

Jasper
08-06-2022, 11:16 PM
art to me means paintings , drawings, photo's
music , plays , concerts

when it comes to plays and art work , my mother had me in museums and play houses at a young age.
Saw some real classic art , as well as actors.
I dabble in sculptures