PDA

View Full Version : NBA to announce Expansion to Seattle and Las Vegas

eliteballer
09-07-2022, 07:33 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/.amp/news/nba-to-announce-expansion-teams-las-vegas-seattle-during-preseason

Kblaze8855
09-07-2022, 07:58 PM
I predicted Seattle and Vegas(as did most people) but they need more than that for the salaries to stay under 100 million a season for some young super max types to eventually reach.

I read the Vegas team is somehow gonna be tied to a Lebron backed group that will have him step in as the face like ARod in Minny.

Lakers Legend#32
09-08-2022, 03:33 AM
As far as Seattle goes, I won't believe it until I see the actual papers signed.

The NBA has jerked Seattle along for far too long.

ralph_i_el
09-08-2022, 08:27 AM
Minny and Memphis get moved to the East I presume?

WhiteKyrie
09-08-2022, 09:11 AM
Finally, Seattle had its shit stolen from it, with a very passionate and rabid Fanbase. Hopefully they’re not called anything different. They should’ve already had the supersonics back there.

And if I was a player I would be super excited and would want to play for Las Vegas. Being a multi millionaire out there for half of the season would be tight.

Minny and Memphis get moved to the East I presume?

As they should be. They’re more east than west anyway

theman93
09-08-2022, 11:11 AM
Can't wait for future generations to look back 20-30 years from now and call this era and it's players weak because the league expanded. :lol

FilmyCogTurner
09-08-2022, 11:34 AM
Hell yes Seattle - only a two hour drive away

pandiani17
09-08-2022, 12:18 PM
I like the idea of a team in Seattle, they deserve it, but I don't like seeing too many teams in the league. I think there are already enough teams without direction (that tank every year, rarely get in the play-offs, etc.) in the current league.

ralph_i_el
09-08-2022, 01:49 PM
Can't wait for future generations to look back 20-30 years from now and call this era and it's players weak because the league expanded. :lol

:confusedshrug: It will make the league temporarily weaker. Every good team is going to lose a rotation player. Luckily there are more foreign players ready to step in nowadays.

bladefd
09-08-2022, 02:33 PM
I am not a fan of the talent being diluted across 2 more teams.. It's a mistake imo

8Ball
09-08-2022, 02:35 PM
I am not a fan of the talent being diluted across 2 more teams.. It's a mistake imo

Most talented era right now, it could handle it.

Axe
09-08-2022, 03:06 PM
Lol we already had this thread before if i'm not mistaken.

Lakers Legend#32
09-08-2022, 05:12 PM
The NBA freaking owes Seattle.

FOKC

fsvr54
09-08-2022, 07:00 PM
Kevin Punter plays in Europe and he's better than half the NBA. So there are definitely enough players.

HylianNightmare
09-08-2022, 07:39 PM

I'm pumped

ralph_i_el
09-09-2022, 09:19 AM
Kevin Punter plays in Europe and he's better than half the NBA. So there are definitely enough players.

People don't realize that there's a lot of overlap in talent level from NBA to top European clubs. It's no longer the case that the "top ~450" players are all in the NBA. If I can make $3m after taxes and play in Istanbul as the star, why would I take $4m to be a role player in Oklahoma City?

ralph_i_el
09-09-2022, 10:30 AM
People don't realize that there's a lot of overlap in talent level from NBA to top European clubs. It's no longer the case that the "top ~450" players are all in the NBA. If I can make $3m after taxes and play in Istanbul as the star, why would I take $4m to be a role player in Oklahoma City?

Also, top European teams are less likely to carry unready prospects on their roster because they have a more extensive network of lower-tier leagues for those guys to play in. A lot of NBA teams are carrying (and sometimes playing big minute) players that are huge net-negatives (due to inexperience) in the best league in the world (Think OKC last year).

John8204
09-09-2022, 03:04 PM
Mid Atlantic region gets screwed over yet again...

Xiao Yao You
09-09-2022, 09:17 PM
Finally, Seattle had its shit stolen from it, with a very passionate and rabid Fanbase. Hopefully they’re not called anything different. They should’ve already had the supersonics back there.

And if I was a player I would be super excited and would want to play for Las Vegas. Being a multi millionaire out there for half of the season would be tight.

As they should be. They’re more east than west anyway

hopefully it's not the Sonics. Different team. Stupid that the Browns did that

Xiao Yao You
09-09-2022, 09:18 PM

Even if the money is the same the NBA practices less, travel first class, have better facilities etc. So many reasons to stay in the NBA if you can

Kblaze8855
09-09-2022, 09:34 PM

Because if you become an even middling role player you might make 100 million in your career. If you go look at the 200-210th highest paid players right now? They make between 6 and 7 million…but 3 of them have career earnings north of 100 million without ever being anything close to stars. Boban has career earnings of 33 million and he’s never played 12 minutes per game. That’s just from age 27-33.

There is massive potential to get paid with nba money flying around. Impress one assistant who tells one gm you might be something and you could turn a good week in the playoffs to 78 million dollars.

That said…obviously there are a huge number of nba level guys not in the nba. Just saying…it’s not a bad idea to take your shot.

AlternativeAcc.
09-09-2022, 10:37 PM
As far as Seattle goes, I won't believe it until I see the actual papers signed.

The NBA has jerked Seattle along for far too long.

They don't deserve a team. Those hippie freaks blew it

Gruppenführer
09-10-2022, 12:00 AM

I think this opens up more opportunities for G-League and International talent.

Lakers Legend#32
09-10-2022, 03:13 AM
Don't trust Silver one bit.

He sat on Stern's lap while the NBA sold out Seattle to the d#mbf#ck rednecks in OKC

BarberSchool
09-10-2022, 04:05 AM
Taking his withering talents to Vegas. Can smell it already.

Seattle SuperSonics coming back tho makes my MF day.

Sonics new owner (not old OKC clown) should do all he can to sign Gary Payton jr.

As well as have Bill Walton, Shawn Kemp, Chris Webber, and Tom Tolbert announce games after smoking a half ounce from Kemp’s dispensaries, before the broadcast.

BarberSchool
09-10-2022, 04:09 AM
Don't trust Silver one bit.

He sat on Stern's lap while the NBA sold out Seattle to the d#mbf#ck rednecks in OKC

Word. Let’s get Silver Sh!tcanned, and force the league to hire a former NBA player as commish, not some undeserving alien posing as a tall gay Jewish guy.

Lakers Legend#32
09-10-2022, 04:07 PM
They don't deserve a team. Those hippie freaks blew it

Your buying into the OKC rednecks propaganda.

bison
09-10-2022, 04:11 PM
Mid Atlantic region gets screwed over yet again...

What, you want a team in Scranton or something?

bison
09-10-2022, 04:16 PM
Moving minny and Memphis to the eastern conference would make the east even more of a bloodbath :eek:

Hey Yo
09-10-2022, 04:45 PM
League needs to get rid of 2 teams, not add 2.

John8204
09-10-2022, 05:43 PM
What, you want a team in Scranton or something?

More like New Jersey, Virginia, and Western North Carolina

bison
09-10-2022, 07:17 PM
League needs to get rid of 2 teams, not add 2.

Not gonna happen. All 30 teams run a profit. It would just be losing money to fold any of them.

bison
09-10-2022, 07:29 PM
More like New Jersey, Virginia, and Western North Carolina

Most of NJ is either in NYC or Philly’s market and they already have teams. The hornets are already in western NC :wtf:

The Virginia Beach/Norfolk area is probably the largest metropolitan area without a pro sports team. I remember Virginia Beach once thrown around as a location for a new nba team. But obv Seattle and Vegas are bigger and already have the infrastructure and experience to add new nba teams.

brownmamba00
09-10-2022, 07:58 PM
Seattle bball fans deserve a new team for sure. KD shoulda won a ring over there instead of playing in hicktown for all those years.

I don't understand Vegas getting a team though. Whats the point? Will they even try to be competitive?

Why not give Canada another team in Vancouver? or a small city like Louisville that loves bball?

Xiao Yao You
09-10-2022, 07:59 PM
Seattle bball fans deserve a new team for sure. KD shoulda won a ring over there instead of playing in hicktown for all those years.

I don't understand Vegas getting a team though. Whats the point? Will they even try to be competitive?

Why not give Canada another team in Vancouver? or a small city like Louisville that loves bball?

why should Vancouver get another team?

brownmamba00
09-10-2022, 08:07 PM
why should Vancouver get another team?

because canadians love their team; raps just won a title. reward them.

I honestly would rather see over-enthusiastic canadians supporting their team instead of rich dickheads sitting courtside betting money in Vegas.

Xiao Yao You
09-10-2022, 08:17 PM

I honestly would rather see over-enthusiastic canadians supporting their team instead of rich dickheads sitting courtside betting money in Vegas.

they didn't support the Grizzlies did they? They had their shot. Seattle fans supported their team. The city didn't want to buy a new arena for them right?

brownmamba00
09-10-2022, 08:27 PM
they didn't support the Grizzlies did they? They had their shot. Seattle fans supported their team. The city didn't want to buy a new arena for them right?

can't blame the fans when your win percentage in six whole seasons was just 19%. Once ownership started losing money, they sold the team...

besides, that was in 1999. Vancouver nowadays is a small sports town. They got the Canucks and that soccer team.

Xiao Yao You
09-10-2022, 08:30 PM
can't blame the fans when your win percentage in six whole seasons was just 19%. Once ownership started losing money, they sold the team...

besides, that was in 1999. Vancouver nowadays is a small sports town. They got the Canucks and that soccer team.

they've had the Canucks a long time. They are a hockey town. Who doesn't have a soccer team and who cares about them?

brownmamba00
09-10-2022, 08:35 PM
they've had the Canucks a long time. They are a hockey town. Who doesn't have a soccer team and who cares about them?

Yeah because Vegas breathes basketball right? Mecca? C'mon man.

Xiao Yao You
09-10-2022, 08:37 PM

Kareem passed Wilt Chamberlain there. More history than Vancouver.

brownmamba00
09-10-2022, 08:43 PM
Kareem passed Wilt Chamberlain there. More history than Vancouver.

who gives a ****

I could care less about Vancouver tbh give it to Louisville they love bball

Xiao Yao You
09-10-2022, 08:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNGa_VDKqSE

bison
09-10-2022, 08:51 PM

Vegas just landed a WNBA team, an NHL team and an NFL team within the last 4 years. They’re all doing fine. New arenas and stadiums. I don’t know what vancouver’s arena/interest situation is but Vegas is more than capable of adding an nba team.

brownmamba00
09-10-2022, 09:02 PM
Vegas just landed a WNBA team, an NHL team and an NFL team within the last 4 years. They’re all doing fine. New arenas and stadiums. I don’t know what vancouver’s arena/interest situation is but Vegas is more than capable of adding an nba team.

Well expect a lot of empty (paid) seats by ticket season holders that have other things to do that night. I'm just sayin' I'm against it.

Spurs m8
09-10-2022, 10:47 PM
Well expect a lot of empty (paid) seats by ticket season holders that have other things to do that night. I'm just sayin' I'm against it.

Lol they don't have other things to do lol

Vegas residents aren't tourists...they'll be fine allocating a few hours to bball

Round Mound
09-10-2022, 10:59 PM
I wish the Seattle Supersonics could make a comeback. The 96 Sonics was the best team not to win in the 90's IMO.

BarberSchool
09-11-2022, 01:20 AM
I wish the Seattle Supersonics could make a comeback. The 96 Sonics was the best team not to win in the 90's IMO.Do you genuinely mean that? Or are you just hyping them because three years earlier you dismantled them in WCF game 7 with 44/24 ? (And you want to make that feat even more unfathomable)

BarberSchool
09-11-2022, 01:23 AM

I honestly would rather see over-enthusiastic canadians supporting their team instead of rich dickheads sitting courtside betting money in Vegas.Toronto and Vancouver are worlds apart culturally.

Toronto is like a BOUGIE Fancy non-violent, pu$$y version of Chicago.

Vancouver is literally China-east, featuring some aging hippies.

BarberSchool
09-11-2022, 01:26 AM
People don't realize that there's a lot of overlap in talent level from NBA to top European clubs. It's no longer the case that the "top ~450" players are all in the NBA. If I can make $3m after taxes and play in Istanbul as the star, why would I take $4m to be a role player in Oklahoma City?it all depends on :

1. What kind of pu$$y you prefer.

2. What kind of neighbors and greater community you want your kids to grow up in.

John8204
09-11-2022, 01:36 PM
Most of NJ is either in NYC or Philly’s market and they already have teams. The hornets are already in western NC :wtf:

The Virginia Beach/Norfolk area is probably the largest metropolitan area without a pro sports team. I remember Virginia Beach once thrown around as a location for a new nba team. But obv Seattle and Vegas are bigger and already have the infrastructure and experience to add new nba teams.

Hornets are more Southern North Carolina...they are basically on the border of North and South Carolina. The Majority of NC cities are up north (Greensboro, Winston Salem, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham) those people aren't going 3-5 hours to see the Hornets.

https://ontheworldmap.com/usa/state/north-carolina/map-of-north-carolina.jpg

Full Court
09-11-2022, 11:56 PM
it all depends on :

1. What kind of pu$$y you prefer.

2. What kind of neighbors and greater community you want your kids to grow up in.

Exactly. And if you're a druggie like Brittney Griner, you may want to consider not playing in places like Russia or Turkey.

FilmyCogTurner
09-12-2022, 11:12 AM
Vancouver could definitely support a basketball team now. The population has exploded since then, rural areas on the outskirts of the main downtown core are now huge suburbs with families that would be filling the seats.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2022, 11:22 AM
Vancouver could definitely support a basketball team now. The population has exploded since then, rural areas on the outskirts of the main downtown core are now huge suburbs with families that would be filling the seats.

do they care about basketball? They were a huge North American city before. It's why they got a franchise. Some cities don't support their teams especially when they suck and expansion teams suck. I realize basketball is much bigger in Canada than it was when the Raptors started

FilmyCogTurner
09-12-2022, 11:45 AM
do they care about basketball? They were a huge North American city before. It's why they got a franchise. Some cities don't support their teams especially when they suck and expansion teams suck. I realize basketball is much bigger in Canada than it was when the Raptors started

Absolutely they care. The people here would be the likes of Sacramento fans and that is with all the fair weather Vancouvites who do suck and bandwagon but there's enough other people here to mitigate those low hanging fruits. I swear once the Seahawks starting winning rings everyone here was a "long time" supporter. Where were your hats and hoodies then?

And for size, Vancouver may have been huge back then but what we are now is much larger - the cities and suburbs cover a lot more territory than ever before.

brownmamba00
09-12-2022, 01:05 PM

if a bunch of mormons can get to care about bball yes Vancouver can support a team.

are you really this stupid all the time? asking these dumbass questions over and over

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2022, 01:21 PM
if a bunch of mormons can get to care about bball yes Vancouver can support a team.

are you really this stupid all the time? asking these dumbass questions over and over

mormons have cared about basketball long before it was a thing in Canada. Every mormon church has a basketball gym and there are more churches than than anything other than houses here

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2022, 01:22 PM

I'm not the one pushing for a team in Vancouver when the NBA obviously doesn't think they are a destination currently

ralph_i_el
09-12-2022, 01:32 PM
mormons have cared about basketball long before it was a thing in Canada. Every mormon church has a basketball gym and there are more churches than than anything other than houses here

Mormon league basetball...good memories. We had a guy who would always get T'd up for forgetting that dunks are illegal. I got yanked for breaking a kid's ankles with a crossover. I wasn't mormon, but they had the best church league in my parts.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2022, 01:40 PM
I did see a mormon church in Toronto in an area my friends said was shady but seemed fine to me. Maybe they had an ice rink there though not a court?