PDA

View Full Version : Rodman going to Bulls was unfair in 1995

Big164
09-15-2022, 05:33 AM
I remember the day I found out at recess and literally dropped my food. I thought it was a joke how the greatest rebounder of all time was going to join the greatest player of all time who already had Pippen who was the best perimeter defender. I realize there is already a thread about this but we really need to hammer this home: 95-96 Bulls were just as stacked if not more so than the 17 Warriors.

Axe
09-15-2022, 05:44 AM
Stacked defensively, yes. But not offensively.

TheGoatest
09-15-2022, 06:09 AM
95-96 Bulls were just as stacked if not more so than the 17 Warriors.

The 2016-17 Warriors were better than the 1995-96 Bulls and would beat them quite easily on any court that had a 3 point line.
However, the two were about equally stacked in comparison to their competition.

Spurs m8
09-15-2022, 06:26 AM
I remember the day I found out at recess and literally dropped my food. I thought it was a joke how the greatest rebounder of all time was going to join the greatest player of all time who already had Pippen who was the best perimeter defender. I realize there is already a thread about this but we really need to hammer this home: 95-96 Bulls were just as stacked if not more so than the 17 Warriors.

You're a flat out liar.

KD joining the 73 win Warriors was easily the most unfair move of all time....and that's not even a debate.

I knew the league was ruined for a few years from that moment...and it was.

Without injuries, they would have obviously 3peated too

nayte
09-15-2022, 06:30 AM
Your full of crap. Spurs wanted to get rid of him so bad they traded him for will freaken predue.or so.
In saying that he was still good.just wrong place and team. Pop and Robinson weren't for him

Full Court
09-15-2022, 07:38 AM

That was 27 years ago. You should get over it. I'm sure counseling is available for you if you need it.

RogueBorg
09-15-2022, 08:40 AM
I seem to recall at the time there wasn't exactly a high demand for his services. Pippen and Jordan weren't gushing over when he signed.

Johnny32
09-15-2022, 09:57 AM
The 2016-17 Warriors were better than the 1995-96 Bulls and would beat them quite easily on any court that had a 3 point line.
However, the two were about equally stacked in comparison to their competition.

this.

Johnny32
09-15-2022, 09:58 AM
You're a flat out liar.

lol @ the fat chick with her panties in a twist.

SouBeachTalents
09-15-2022, 10:30 AM
Nah, 4 All-NBA/HOF's in their prime, including 2 top 15-20 players ever, that shit was unprecedented, and we'll never see it again.

OP is just a troll alt anyway.

Round Mound
09-15-2022, 12:17 PM
Obviously. Its incredible how good the Bulls where defensively with Rodman, Pippen, MJ and Harper (plus they had a big banger in the middle with Longley).

pandiani17
09-15-2022, 12:21 PM
Your full of crap. Spurs wanted to get rid of him so bad they traded him for will freaken predue.or so.
In saying that he was still good.just wrong place and team. Pop and Robinson weren't for him

Agree. OP is saying his remarks with hindsight, I was too young to follow the league but in the books and articles I've read about it the signing of Rodman
is portrayed as a huge risk by the Bulls (he was the last in the list of PF that Phil Jackson requested to sign in the summer), as his behavior was already becoming very distracting and no team wanted to deal with him. It worked out perfectly in the end, but in the summer of 1995 people could still see the potential for disaster in that signing, as him playing for the Lakers of 1999 and Mavericks of 2000 turned out.

Real Men Wear Green
09-15-2022, 12:44 PM
People talking about events they have no knowledge of. Bulls traded Will Perdue to get Rodman. Spurs hated Rodman and just wanted to get rid of him. Any team that wanted him could have made a deal happen. And no no one believes OP took a break from eating dirt to react to a trade that no one on that playground would know anything about.

RogueBorg
09-15-2022, 01:38 PM
People talking about events they have no knowledge of. Bulls traded Will Perdue to get Rodman. Spurs hated Rodman and just wanted to get rid of him. Any team that wanted him could have made a deal happen. And no no one believes OP took a break from eating dirt to react to a trade that no one on that playground would know anything about.

Living in Chicago we as fans hated Rodman. I didn't want him and certainly didn't think it would work, especially after what Rodman did to Pippen and the hatred Chicago had for Detroit. It's easy to look back now and see how well it turned out but back in 1995 most fans were scratching their heads.

hateraid
09-15-2022, 01:55 PM
Living in Chicago we as fans hated Rodman. I didn't want him and certainly didn't think it would work, especially after what Rodman did to Pippen and the hatred Chicago had for Detroit. It's easy to look back now and see how well it turned out but back in 1995 most fans were scratching their heads.

Who knows how it affected him? He was the poster boy for being an obnoxious weirdo. The media may have had an affect on him. But he still was a dominant defender.
Chicago bet low and won big. Losing Purdue to take a shot at a headache who is the best defender of his generation? Easy gamble. I'm sure any team would trade a useless role player for a elite defender. And in a way Chicago was lucky the Spurs took them as their trade partner. Can you imagine if Orlando got Rodman and all they had to give up was Jeff Turner? The landscape would be so different

SouBeachTalents
09-15-2022, 02:38 PM
Who knows how it affected him? He was the poster boy for being an obnoxious weirdo. The media may have had an affect on him. But he still was a dominant defender.
Chicago bet low and won big. Losing Purdue to take a shot at a headache who is the best defender of his generation? Easy gamble. I'm sure any team would trade a useless role player for a elite defender. And in a way Chicago was lucky the Spurs took them as their trade partner. Can you imagine if Orlando got Rodman and all they had to give up was Jeff Turner? The landscape would be so different
Not to nitpick, but I doubt Orlando goes after Rodman when they already had Grant, who had just thoroughly destroyed the Bulls in the playoffs the year before.

What's funny is a lot of the contenders at the time were already set at PF, the Sonics had Kemp, the Magic had Grant, the Jazz had Malone, the Suns had Barkley, even the Knicks probably don't make a play for Rodman with Oakley/Mason. The only title contender with a glaring weakness at that spot was Chicago :lol He could've went to Indy I suppose, though I'm not confident he's putting them over the top into a championship team.

WhiteKyrie
09-15-2022, 02:48 PM
Jordan was every bit as dominant and actually a better on ball defender than Pippen.

Scottie would perpetually get broke off by anyone with a handle and a cross over. Penny, Hill, Kobe, Stickland, all broke the shit out of him until Jordan had to put the straight jacket on them.

And NO ONE wanted Rodman in summer of 1995 even given his rebounding abilities. He was a huge liability and risk especially with his deteriorating behavior and mentality. And on the basketball front beyond rebounding was no where near the super athletic versatile perimeter and interior defender he was on the Pistons. Don’t revisionist history the league.

In my time watching, nothing seemed more un-fair than:

Prime/peak LeBron James (Best Player) cowardly needing to collude and join prime/peak Dwyane Wade (Top 3 Player) and franchise caliber 20/10 PF Chris Bosh (Top 5 PF)

And

Prime/peak KD (2nd best player) cowardly needing to collude and join the 73-9 pubic hair away from becoming back to back champion Warrior team, spearheaded by back to back and first ever unanimous MVP in Steph Curry.

Dennis Rodman only worked on the Chicago Bulls, and if you’re being honest, it was really only for the 1996 season, because he fell in line to the leadership of Michael Jordan because he respected and admired him so much. He said this verbatim in the documentary

RogueBorg
09-15-2022, 03:42 PM
Shaq recently called Rodman his worst teammate ever. Almost nobody wanted him.

TheMan
09-15-2022, 03:49 PM

You're full of shit. Rodman was a headcase that was on his way out of the league with his shenanigans. All it took from Chicago was a stiff like Will Purdue to the Spurs to get him off of their hands. His career was rejuvenated in Chicago, nobody else wanted him :confusedshrug:

Axe
09-15-2022, 04:10 PM
Shaq recently called Rodman his worst teammate ever. Almost nobody wanted him.
Lmao he didn't need shaq anyway to win titles.

Norcaliblunt
09-15-2022, 06:14 PM
Phoenix almost traded Richard Dumas for Rodman back in 93 before he ended up in San Antonio.

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2020/04/26/last-dance-phoenix-suns-almost-traded-dennis-rodman/amp/

That’s a pretty big what if. Imagine Barkley and Rodman on the same team. Lol.

WhiteKyrie
09-15-2022, 09:42 PM
Phoenix almost traded Richard Dumas for Rodman back in 93 before he ended up in San Antonio.

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2020/04/26/last-dance-phoenix-suns-almost-traded-dennis-rodman/amp/

That’s a pretty big what if. Imagine Barkley and Rodman on the same team. Lol.
I honestly don’t think that pairing works.

SATAN
09-15-2022, 10:29 PM
Jordan was every bit as dominant and actually a better on ball defender than Pippen.

Scottie would perpetually get broke off by anyone with a handle and a cross over. Penny, Hill, Kobe, Stickland, all broke the shit out of him until Jordan had to put the straight jacket on them.

And NO ONE wanted Rodman in summer of 1995 even given his rebounding abilities. He was a huge liability and risk especially with his deteriorating behavior and mentality. And on the basketball front beyond rebounding was no where near the super athletic versatile perimeter and interior defender he was on the Pistons. Don’t revisionist history the league.

In my time watching, nothing seemed more un-fair than:

Prime/peak LeBron James (Best Player) cowardly needing to collude and join prime/peak Dwyane Wade (Top 3 Player) and franchise caliber 20/10 PF Chris Bosh (Top 5 PF)

And

Prime/peak KD (2nd best player) cowardly needing to collude and join the 73-9 pubic hair away from becoming back to back champion Warrior team, spearheaded by back to back and first ever unanimous MVP in Steph Curry.

Dennis Rodman only worked on the Chicago Bulls, and if you’re being honest, it was really only for the 1996 season, because he fell in line to the leadership of Michael Jordan because he respected and admired him so much. He said this verbatim in the documentary

:roll:

Full Court
09-16-2022, 08:24 AM
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reactiongifs.com%2Fr%2F2013%2F 04%2Fnot-fair.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Johnny32
09-16-2022, 09:03 AM
But on Oct. 3, 1995, Perdue was dealt straight up for Dennis Rodman, who was still in his prime from a production standpoint. There were no draft picks involved. No other players. Not even a bit of cash. Chicago gave up a backup center and received a Third-Team All-NBA forward. In a modern NBA that routinely sees superstars traded for packages featuring several elite young players and valuable draft assets, such a deal is practically unthinkable.

The deal was the result of perhaps the most precipitous non-injury-related decline in trade value in NBA history. In the 1993 offseason, Rodman demanded a trade from the Detroit Pistons and was dealt to the San Antonio Spurs. The return for Detroit was substantial: 24-year-old All-Star Sean Elliott. In two years, Rodman managed to go from a player worthy of being traded for a young star to one who could only net a backup center. In those two years, his numbers were largely steady, he received numerous on-court accolades, and he suffered no career-altering injuries.

So how did the Bulls manage to snag Rodman for such a historically low price? There were three principal factors driving down Rodman's trade value, so we'll start with the obvious:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/dennis-rodman-trade-how-michael-jordans-bulls-dealt-their-backup-center-for-the-games-best-rebounder/

3ba11
09-16-2022, 03:56 PM
Thread Cliffs

Despite having the worst offensive help ever, the 96' and 97' Bulls had goat offenses (#1 offenses with goat margins above league average) because they had the GOAT.. plain and simple.. We've never seen a player carry an offense more (aka turning the worst offensive help into goat offense)

TheMan
09-16-2022, 04:22 PM
But on Oct. 3, 1995, Perdue was dealt straight up for Dennis Rodman, who was still in his prime from a production standpoint. There were no draft picks involved. No other players. Not even a bit of cash. Chicago gave up a backup center and received a Third-Team All-NBA forward. In a modern NBA that routinely sees superstars traded for packages featuring several elite young players and valuable draft assets, such a deal is practically unthinkable.

The deal was the result of perhaps the most precipitous non-injury-related decline in trade value in NBA history. In the 1993 offseason, Rodman demanded a trade from the Detroit Pistons and was dealt to the San Antonio Spurs. The return for Detroit was substantial: 24-year-old All-Star Sean Elliott. In two years, Rodman managed to go from a player worthy of being traded for a young star to one who could only net a backup center. In those two years, his numbers were largely steady, he received numerous on-court accolades, and he suffered no career-altering injuries.

So how did the Bulls manage to snag Rodman for such a historically low price? There were three principal factors driving down Rodman's trade value, so we'll start with the obvious:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/dennis-rodman-trade-how-michael-jordans-bulls-dealt-their-backup-center-for-the-games-best-rebounder/

So you conveniently left out the part where he's a suicidal headcase? Lol. Antonio Brown is a legit game changing top NFL WR talent who is currently jobless because he's nuts. No one here is claiming Rodman was a scrub, numbnuts. We're arguing he was a roll of the dice if he would've been a plus or negative with the Bulls because of his on the court and off the court issues, just as he was when he was a Spur, Laker and Mav. A big part as to why he was able to largely keep his issues from negatively affecting his on the court performance with the Bulls is because he has enormous respect for Jordan, he has said this numerous times in many interviews...also, he has said numerous times that if James played against the Bulls, he, Pippen and MJ would've locked him up so bad LeFraud would get into a fetal position, lol.

Keep up, knuckledragger.

Round Mound
09-16-2022, 06:56 PM
Agree. The three best defenders at their respective positions.

FilmyCogTurner
09-16-2022, 09:56 PM
:roll:

The real funny thing is your best 5000 posts would not add up to the truth bomb WhiteKyrie just dropped.

Jeff should charge you for wasted bandwidth

Vino24
09-16-2022, 10:58 PM
The Bulls gambling on Rodman was the same as the patriots gambling on Randy Moss…it was a sure fire dunk of a move

SATAN
09-16-2022, 11:05 PM
The real funny thing is your best 5000 posts would not add up to the truth bomb WhiteKyrie just dropped.

Jeff should charge you for wasted bandwidth

You are using an alt. **** outta here, weakling.

bison
09-17-2022, 12:08 AM
Rodman could have brought the circus with him to Chicago and put a dynasty in jeopardy. That was the real risk. Also it’s not like the 95 Bulls we’re adding Kevin Durant or AD to their squad. Rodman added no offense to the Bulls. So this whole idea that the Bulls were ‘gifted’ Rodman in 95 is just another desperate attempt by Bronies to change the past since they cannot change the fact that time has official ran out to make the GOAT case for LeBarry.

TheGoatest
09-17-2022, 07:56 AM
The Bulls gambling on Rodman was the same as the patriots gambling on Randy Moss…it was a sure fire dunk of a move

It sure was a "gamble" to give up random scrub Will Perdue for a player who was All-defensive 1st team and All-NBA 3rd team despite only playing 49 games the season before.
jordon gambled away the equivalent of three Will Perdues on an average night in Vegas.

FilmyCogTurner
09-17-2022, 12:32 PM
You are using an alt. **** outta here, weakling.

No alt needed and you still suck :roll:

3ba11
09-17-2022, 12:34 PM
Rodman did nothing with the league MVP in 95' and flamed out with those Spurs - nobody wanted him and MJ literally saved him

Rodman averaged 3/8 in the 97' Playoffs and wasn't the starter in the 98' Playoffs

He made teams play 4 on 5 offensively and wasn't playable on most teams.. He certainly wouldn't be playable in any Lebron lineup, since Lebron needs all-time scoring and shooting help

97 bulls
09-17-2022, 02:54 PM
Rodman did nothing with the league MVP in 95' and flamed out with those Spurs - nobody wanted him and MJ literally saved him

Rodman averaged 3/8 in the 97' Playoffs and wasn't the starter in the 98' Playoffs

He made teams play 4 on 5 offensively and wasn't playable on most teams.. He certainly wouldn't be playable in any Lebron lineup, since Lebron needs all-time scoring and shooting help

Rodman led the playoffs of rebounds in 95 and led the league what do you mean he didn't do anything?

Are you saying the only way you can qualify a players value is by how much they score?

JBSptfn
09-17-2022, 08:37 PM

Exactly. That's what I was thinking when the Pats got Moss, except Rodman was a bigger gamble.

Apparently, Karceno4Life (on You Tube) claims that Dick Ebersol of NBC encouraged it. David Stern wanted to kick him out if he got one more tattoo or something. Ebersol saw the entertainment, and pushed for the Rodman-MJ pairing.