PDA

View Full Version : Wembanyama fam. Get in on the ground floor…..

Im so nba'd out
10-06-2022, 07:30 PM
What fam is adopting him?

The James gang?

The jordanaires?

The curry clan

The others?

The haters (spurs m8 proctor ect)

He is like a jumbo Durant(without the toxicity) if you don’t know who he is.

Wembanyama fam announce yourself.

FultzNationRISE
10-06-2022, 07:55 PM
Amazing prospect in theory but I thought there were some good points raised in another thread about the viability of guys his size staying healthy as perimeter players. Comparable players like Porzingis have had trouble staying on the court, as someone pointed out Holmgren went down before even seeing the NBA, Zion who has less height but lots of bulk has hardly played, even the aforementioned Durant too has had trouble with injuries in recent years. Those guys’ issues dont seal Wembayana’s fate, but it is a valid concern.

Guys like Bron, Giannis, Luka have been pretty durable, and they have similar body types. It’s unclear if maybe thats an ideal figure for staying healthy or just coincidence, but it’s a fair question. The idea of bigger and bigger guys playing today’s perimeter game is enticing for matchup possibilities, but is it there a limit to how tall or bulky you can be before injury risk automatically goes up in a statistically relevant fashion?

Well, clearly yes, we just dont know where exactly those limits are right now. So it’ll be something to watch for going forward.

Axe
10-06-2022, 08:20 PM
Bust.

ShawkFactory
10-06-2022, 08:23 PM
Amazing prospect in theory but I thought there were some good points raised in another thread about the viability of guys his size staying healthy as perimeter players. Comparable players like Porzingis have had trouble staying on the court, as someone pointed out Holmgren went down before even seeing the NBA, Zion who has less height but lots of bulk has hardly played, even the aforementioned Durant too has had trouble with injuries in recent years. Those guys’ issues dont seal Wembayana’s fate, but it is a valid concern.

Guys like Bron, Giannis, Luka have been pretty durable, and they have similar body types. It’s unclear if maybe thats an ideal figure for staying healthy or just coincidence, but it’s a fair question. The idea of bigger and bigger guys playing today’s perimeter game is enticing for matchup possibilities, but is it there a limit to how tall or bulky you can be before injury risk automatically goes up in a statistically relevant fashion?

Well, clearly yes, we just dont know where exactly those limits are right now. So it’ll be something to watch for going forward.

I think it’s what the really huge guys might be asked to do. While having the skill, someone with Porzingis’s size just isn’t built to move that much that quickly on the perimeter.

Wembanyana looks insane doing this as a teenager but the consistent torque, anti-leverage, <insert physics word mixed with anatomical mechanics> put on a body that huge consistently over years just doesn’t seem viable. Maybe if he just played a Gobert role and got stronger but didn’t move much then it would be fine. But he’s playing like a perimeter player offensively.

I don’t know.

HylianNightmare
10-06-2022, 08:24 PM
Here for it. Hope Isaac fultz banchero and Franz all take a year off

FultzNationRISE
10-06-2022, 08:50 PM
I think it’s what the really huge guys might be asked to do. While having the skill, someone with Porzingis’s size just isn’t built to move that much that quickly on the perimeter.

Wembanyana looks insane doing this as a teenager but the consistent torque, anti-leverage, <insert physics word mixed with anatomical mechanics> put on a body that huge consistently over years just doesn’t seem viable. Maybe if he just played a Gobert role and got stronger but didn’t move much then it would be fine. But he’s playing like a perimeter player offensively.

I don’t know.

Exactly.

Could be that the ‘unicorn’ label is afterall tragically prophetic, in that these kinds of body types really arent viable in realistic settings, at least not in terms of playing the way people fancy.

Again, I dont wanna declare it impossible yet. It’s just an open question right now.

Kblaze8855
10-06-2022, 09:30 PM
Are there still people here who don’t know who he is? People have talked about the spurs tanking for him for a year or more and he’s been pretty heavily discussed nationally lately. Anyone who would be on ish should know by now.

Axe
10-06-2022, 09:39 PM
Lol he's even thinner or lighter than chet holmgren. :oldlol:

SATAN
10-06-2022, 09:46 PM
He's good at basketball. Hopefully he stays healthy.

iamgine
10-06-2022, 10:02 PM
He's another 'too tall for his own good' type. Upon entering the NBA, he'll bulk up a lot and then riddled with injuries for a few seasons. And then forced to retire.

Xiao Yao You
10-06-2022, 11:31 PM

Ralph Sampson is who I think of when I see him.

Street Hunger
10-06-2022, 11:32 PM
Ralph Sampson is who I think of when I see him.

Yep build-wise maybe, but game-wise he's different

Gruppenführer
10-06-2022, 11:39 PM
No one at his height has succeeded so far in the NBA. He's the Black Chet Holmgren.

Street Hunger
10-06-2022, 11:40 PM
No one at his height has succeeded so far in the NBA. He's the Black Chet Holmgren.

Hmm, good point, but we've also seen very few players at his height that were athletic forwards as opposed to centers. Some, but not many.

Spurs m8
10-07-2022, 01:32 AM
I am on board

I am also not a hater

Dude will finish higher than LeBronze when all is said and done...and he will lead and do it the right way

PAOK
10-07-2022, 05:25 AM
He is actually 20lbs heavier than Chet

Sportal
10-07-2022, 06:22 AM
Was there a reason the French team didn't use him at EuroBasket?

Im Still Ballin
10-07-2022, 07:40 AM
Wonder if he'll be too stickly to be what a center should be. He might grow like AD or Giannis though. Put 40-50 pounds on him while maintaining BF%. Get him up to 260+ pounds.

ralph_i_el
10-07-2022, 08:37 AM
I hope the physics of all this works out for him. He's like next level long and gangly.

Johnny32
10-07-2022, 10:34 AM
nah. team leluka here after the goat retires. this kid has injury prone bust written all over him.

3ba11
10-07-2022, 11:09 AM
There's no room for Wembanyama to be a superstar in today's NBA

He'll be a Rudy Gobert.. whooptiwhoop

Since he can't dominate the post and today's teams prefers other strategies to dominate (3's), what other roles are there that allows an oversized guy like that to dominate?... ?... Pick n pop?... Maybe he can be a better version of AD but AD could legit play a little guard which helps his scoring ability.. obviously, an oversized guy can't do this

PAOK
10-07-2022, 12:33 PM
I think the ideal play style for him would be a shot-blocking Dirk. He is way too big to play from the perimeter like KD, and it would put huge stress on his body.

Instead if he perfects his turn around jumper, which already looks great, he can score in bunches and stay relatively healthy.

JohnMax
10-07-2022, 01:15 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FecDRjwWQAAVNcx?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FecDRjvWQAIkTzz?format=jpg&name=900x900

Gotterdammerung
10-07-2022, 06:13 PM
The hype machine is already in overdrive. The Ringer just published this:

We've never seen a player like Wemby before. He is like Kevin Durant crossed with Rudy Gobert, making him a Gen-Z Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Ralph Sampson raised on YouTube videos. As hyperbolic as it all sounds, executives around the league already agree that Wembanyama has Hall of Fame potential with the upside to be one of the greatest players ever.

I remember the last time the hype machine went into overdrive was back in 2003. My old buddy said that even if LeBron James won the MVP and won the title in 2004, he would still not meet the expectations of that time.
:oldlol:

Spurs m8
10-08-2022, 04:12 AM
Hotter prospect than LeBarry...

Would make LeBarry a #2 pick

Will achieve more organically too

Jud
10-08-2022, 04:23 AM
He is actually 20lbs heavier than Chet

That's not really saying much :oldlol:

Mask the Embiid
10-08-2022, 04:39 AM
So this is looking like the 1st play with fans from multiple different fan bases…. He is the olive branch of ish.

90sgoat
10-08-2022, 07:13 AM

He sucks against real competition.

Xiao Yao You
10-08-2022, 07:39 AM

He's playing in their upcoming qualifying games so that might answer your question. Their best player will be busy