PDA

View Full Version : 2022-23 NBA MVP favorite candidates

Street Hunger
10-15-2022, 12:46 AM
Giannis Antetokounmpo won NBA MVP in 2019 and 2020.

Nikola Jokic won NBA MVP in 2021 and 2022.

Who do you see as the top 5 or 10 or so possible contenders to win it in 2023?

Lee
10-15-2022, 12:51 AM
Embiid.

SouBeachTalents
10-15-2022, 01:10 AM
Westbrick.

fourkicks44
10-15-2022, 01:19 AM
Embiid.

Embiid's career chances for an MVP are over.

Last season was his last shot. Voters decided else.

That being said I can see him pushing for that DPOY.

Smook A.
10-15-2022, 01:33 AM
Either Luka, Embiid, or Giannis

bison
10-15-2022, 01:45 AM
It will be a race between Giannis, morant, Ingram and Luka

SATAN
10-15-2022, 02:25 AM
Ingram

Yeah ok AirTupac

red1
10-15-2022, 03:26 AM
giannis

Pitbull
10-15-2022, 11:55 PM
I dont know how voting goes this days anymore. Its becoming common to vote for MVP whose not even a top 3 seed ( Westbrook, Jokic).

FultzNationRISE
10-16-2022, 12:08 AM
Lebron definitely number 1 if the voters have any sensibility, which they apparently dont (or at least havent since the last time he won)

I could see Luka having an MVP season in terms of media narrative (high usage, high ppg, fun to watch) even though I think his lack of defense and off-ball ability make him less of a difference maker than other elite players.

If Kawhi managed to play a whole season without a lot of load managing he could be a sleeper. Doesnt feel too realistic tho.

Pitbull
10-16-2022, 12:12 AM
At least I think it wont be Jokic due to voter fatigue.

Full Court
10-16-2022, 12:13 AM
Morant.

MVP.

Pitbull
10-16-2022, 12:15 AM
Lebron definitely number 1 if the voters have any sensibility, which they apparently dont (or at least havent since the last time he won)

I could see Luka having an MVP season in terms of media narrative (high usage, high ppg, fun to watch) even though I think his lack of defense and off-ball ability make him less of a difference maker than other elite players.

If Kawhi managed to play a whole season without a lot of load managing he could be a sleeper. Doesnt feel too realistic tho.

Steve Nash last player to do it above 30.

SATAN
10-16-2022, 01:19 AM
It's a stupid media award. It's meaningless in that sense. Wouldn't mind seeing Jokic snatch another one though.

hold this L
10-16-2022, 01:19 AM
The favorites:
Giannis
Tatum
Steph

Jokic won't be in the conversation because he's won it 2 times with a mediocre record. He would need to grab 65 wins this year to get and I don't see that happening. KD, Luka won't win enough games, Embiid, Kawhi will probably miss too many games. Ja's team will come down to Earth a bit and even if Heat finish with 60+ games, voters for some reason don't give Jimmy any love.

NBAGOAT
10-16-2022, 01:36 AM
I’ll say Luka or Steph. I don’t think Dallas wins many games either but Luka can win a jokic type mvp, his team is not very talented. Warriors will be good ofc. Giannis and jokic have voter fatigue and I don’t think embiid will win it, will take some games off and has a good team. Think it’s a year early for Tatum and morant

John8204
10-16-2022, 09:21 AM
Who do you see as the top 5 or 10 or so possible contenders to win it in 2023?

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Devin Booker
Jimmie Butler
Steph Curry
Luka Doncic
Anthony Edwards
Lebron James
Ja Morant
Klay Thompson
Zion Williamson

If the Wolves or Pelicans break through this season...Zion and Edwards that would likely be in the mix.
If it's a legacy thing Lebron, Butler, Curry and Giannis are all in the mix
On the other hand The Warriors might spend the season focusing on Klay which could give him a big season and I think Klay has a lot of good will in writers rooms

But the top three contenders are Ja, Luka, and Booker

I think politics are going to keep Jokic, Embiid, Simmons, Durant, Kwahi and Kyrie out of the mix

hold this L
10-16-2022, 11:03 AM
I’ll say Luka or Steph. I don’t think Dallas wins many games either but Luka can win a jokic type mvp, his team is not very talented. Warriors will be good ofc. Giannis and jokic have voter fatigue and I don’t think embiid will win it, will take some games off and has a good team. Think it’s a year early for Tatum and morant

It's been 2 years since Giannis won, you still think he'll have voter fatigue?

ImKobe
10-16-2022, 11:21 AM
AD if he's healthy is an easy contender. His 2020 season was underrated due to the Bran media bias but now it's clear Bran can no longer carry a team and if the Lakers have any success it's because MVP Davis gets the Lakers back to playing elite defense while also carrying the load of a #1 option. It's no surprise he led the Lakers in everything but APG the last time they were an elite team.

Axe
10-16-2022, 11:23 AM
AD if he's healthy is an easy contender. His 2020 season was underrated due to the Bran media bias but now it's clear Bran can no longer carry a team and if the Lakers have any success it's because MVP Davis gets the Lakers back to playing elite defense while also carrying the load of a #1 option. It's no surprise he led the Lakers in everything but APG the last time they were an elite team.
:roll:

Present-day abdul jabbar :bowdown:

Pitbull
10-17-2022, 12:44 AM

It will be hard for AD.

Manny98
10-17-2022, 03:45 AM
I've got money on Luka

Manny98
10-17-2022, 03:46 AM

AD is hasn't been healthy in years, I doubt this season will be any different

LeCola
10-17-2022, 04:17 AM
1- Giannis
2- Jokic
3- Luka

PeroAntic
10-17-2022, 05:03 AM
Whoever wins more games out of Doncic, Morant and Butler.

ImKobe
10-17-2022, 08:22 AM
AD is hasn't been healthy in years, I doubt this season will be any different

It's been two seasons and he's 29 and hasn't had a major injury that would derail his career or shorten his prime so I think he's still capable of playing at that level. If Lakers are even a little bit relevant and he's playing up to his prime level he'll be in the conversation.

Hakeem Olajuwon
10-17-2022, 09:34 AM
My top 10 contenders in 3 tiers...

Favourite MVP contenders:
Giannis Antetokounmpo: a healthy Giannis will be entering his prime, hungry to make amends for 2022
Nikola Jokić: current MVP whose efficiency analytics will continue to astound
Luka Dončić: pure magic. The player all neutrals want to watch
Joel Embiid: likely to put out amazing numbers again

Contender but asterisks:
Stephen Curry - carry momentum from FMVP, but will he play enough games?
LeBron James - was MVP material before injury, but team record will hurt his claim.
Jayson Tatum - one of my favourite players, but not the sexy vote
Kevin Durant - NBA's villain, despite on paper being one of the top 3 players in the NBA.

Darkhorse outsiders but unlikely to top the poll:
Ja Morant - absolute fire. But another year too soon for Ja. Goal for this season? Try break into the top 5.
Devin Booker - one of the best scorers of the league, but the Suns are weaker

ArbitraryWater
10-17-2022, 10:00 AM
It's a stupid media award. It's meaningless in that sense. Wouldn't mind seeing Jokic snatch another one though.

would you feel more comfortable if its a players award?

John8204
10-17-2022, 11:18 AM
Devin Booker - one of the best scorers of the league, but the Suns are weaker

Yeah I think if the Suns get the top seed again Booker should get it we're talking three seasons now

brownmamba00
10-17-2022, 11:46 AM
Ja Morant. Memphis is destined to break out next year. Plenty of young supporting talent on that team.

Luka Doncic. After last year's playoff success he might come out the gates blazing gunning 40-50pt games and get that early lead in the ranking.

Giannis. He said he wants to be the one with the most mvps ever so he's gonna be trying hard throughout the reg season.

players like Kawhi, Embiid and Tatum might look nice on paper but truth is they have balanced teams with other scoring options so they don't get relied on as much as the former.

Curry, KD, AD and Lebron are gonna take it easy. Doubt those guys are gunning for it this year they'll be cruisin up untill the allstar break.

FultzNationRISE
10-17-2022, 12:22 PM
Do you guys think it will hurt Morant's MVP case this year that his team went like, 20-2 with him out last season?

bison
10-17-2022, 01:14 PM
Do you guys think it will hurt Morant's MVP case this year that his team went like, 20-2 with him out last season?

what the hell does the team's record last season have to do with his MVP chances this season?

Full Court
10-17-2022, 06:58 PM

Do you think it will hurt Lebron's MVP case this year that his super team couldn't even reach a .500 record WITH him playing?

Pitbull
10-17-2022, 07:05 PM

If it happens again, yes. Morant I bet will be injured for some time.