PDA

View Full Version : You ever been in a band?

Hey Yo
10-18-2022, 06:00 PM
My friends and I had a short lived 4pc band in high school.

Name was... Grinder

I was on vocals.

3 song names I remember are, Death List... Agoraphobia and Sunday Morning Hangover.

Fun times

Hey Yo
10-18-2022, 06:09 PM
Lyrics to Sunday Morning Hangover (gotta sing it fast, punk style)

It's Sunday morning, I get out of bed, my dick is sore I must've got some head, went and got an ice pack and put it on my balls, then I saw the puke on my walls, my head's really hurting feels like it's going to explode, as I run to the bathroom and shit a big loooooooad.

Jud
10-18-2022, 06:11 PM

It's Sunday morning, I get out of bed, my dick is sore I must've got some head, went and got an ice pack and put it on my balls, then I saw the puke on my walls, my head's really hurting feels like it's going to explode, as I run to the bathroom and shit a big loooooooad.

No wonder your band was short lived

Hey Yo
10-18-2022, 06:39 PM
Had fun... that's what mattered

SATAN
10-18-2022, 06:43 PM
Yeah. Every time I had way more drive and was a much better player than the other guys. I wrote the music and they either couldn't keep up or weren't committed. It's easy to find people who want to be in a band for the image and bagging rights or whatever but it's much harder finding dedicated people capable of playing at a high level.

RRR3
10-18-2022, 07:56 PM

Truly a mystery as to why you never made it big.

SouBeachTalents
10-18-2022, 09:25 PM

https://c.tenor.com/81rEv19_-3cAAAAM/what-confused.gif

Smook A.
10-18-2022, 09:39 PM

:roll:

ArbitraryWater
10-18-2022, 10:16 PM

https://c.tenor.com/uS0ZQfNnLJkAAAAC/steve-harvey-looking.gif

Patrick Chewing
10-18-2022, 10:26 PM
You guys mocking those lyrics are clearly posers that don't know a thing about punk music. That's punk all the way. I'm shocked even RRR3tard had a problem with it.

SaltyMeatballs
10-19-2022, 01:49 AM
You guys mocking those lyrics are clearly posers that don't know a thing about punk music. That's punk all the way. I'm shocked even RRR3tard had a problem with it.

Imagine actually enjoying punk music :oldlol:

TheMan
10-19-2022, 12:10 PM
Played in several bands throughout the 90s into the mid 2000s. Played guitar in most and bass in some of them. Played originals and some covers, mostly metal and alternative rock. I'm no Randy Rhoads to say the least but pretty handy with the axe :rockon:

RRR3
10-20-2022, 07:32 AM
You’ve clearly never listened to good punk in your life.

Patrick Chewing
10-20-2022, 10:48 AM
You’ve clearly never listened to good punk in your life.

Dude, you're a poser. You don't know shit about music apparently. These lyrics are right on par with the Misfits, Sex Pistols, Social Distortion, etc.

RRR3
10-20-2022, 11:26 AM
Dude, you're a poser. You don't know shit about music apparently. These lyrics are right on par with the Misfits, Sex Pistols, Social Distortion, etc.
:facepalm

You listen to bands like Cinderella and Ratt your music taste is ass

Patrick Chewing
10-20-2022, 11:33 AM

You listen to bands like Cinderella and Ratt your music taste is ass

Ahhh it's nice to see that you can't refute my claim, so you bring up the fact that I also listen to Hair Metal in some lame attempt to discredit me or make me seem less knowledgeable on the subject. A true purist listens to all genres. You force yourself to listen to Black Metal and Death Metal just to come off edgy. It's your entire persona. It's easy to pick you out of a poser lineup man. :oldlol:

RRR3
10-20-2022, 02:03 PM
Ahhh it's nice to see that you can't refute my claim, so you bring up the fact that I also listen to Hair Metal in some lame attempt to discredit me or make me seem less knowledgeable on the subject. A true purist listens to all genres. You force yourself to listen to Black Metal and Death Metal just to come off edgy. It's your entire persona. It's easy to pick you out of a poser lineup man. :oldlol:
I don’t force myself to listen to anything you fat tub of goo. I mostly listen to doom metal anyways but you’re kidding yourself if you think good black metal and death metal don’t exist. Hair metal though? Classic low Iq Chewy going for the overly produced corporate shlock.

Nanners
10-20-2022, 02:11 PM
Yall should post your mixtapes

Patrick Chewing
10-20-2022, 02:50 PM
I don’t force myself to listen to anything you fat tub of goo. I mostly listen to doom metal anyways but you’re kidding yourself if you think good black metal and death metal don’t exist. Hair metal though? Classic low Iq Chewy going for the overly produced corporate shlock.

This guy :facepalm. There's a reason Hair Metal ruled the 80's and some of the early 90's in terms of radio and tv airplay. Some of the best guitarists and singers came from that era.

And then there's a reason why Black Metal and Death Metal will never rule even within its own genre. Of all the Metal sub-genres that are out there, those two are the worst.

RRR3
10-20-2022, 04:37 PM
This guy :facepalm. There's a reason Hair Metal ruled the 80's and some of the early 90's in terms of radio and tv airplay. Some of the best guitarists and singers came from that era.

And then there's a reason why Black Metal and Death Metal will never rule even within its own genre. Of all the Metal sub-genres that are out there, those two are the worst.
You would have to stretch the definition of hair metal to have it include many of the guys frequently considered amongst the best singers and guitarists. The most successful hair metal band is who Motley Crue? :lol

Assuming we’re not counting hair metal as metal, I guess you could argue that, but pretty much every major genre of metal has great bands. Black metal is more of an aesthetic thing than being about ability although some bands are quite good technically. As for death metal those guys are often literally amongst the most talented musicians on earth. I mean have you heard Atheist or Death? The skill level is off the charts. I think you believe I’m way more into these genres than I am, I listen to doom metal the majority of the time I’m listening to metal and the rest of the time usually thrash. I just have said there are black metal and death metal bands that are good and worth listening to which is true.

Still waiting for you to find me punk lyrics from classic bands as bad as OP’s

SATAN
10-20-2022, 05:18 PM
The fat slob praising hair metal (of all things) for being popular while slandering two sub genres that are inherently designed to be extreme and therefor not mainstream...for not being popular...?

WHO is the poser?

Jesus Christ this guy is an idiot. Probably listening to Poison as I'm typing this.

Stop trying so hard, Chewing. You ****ing retard.

SaltyMeatballs
10-20-2022, 06:04 PM

Jesus, who the **** are any of those bands? :roll: Absolutely garbage taste in music

RRR3
10-20-2022, 10:13 PM
The fat slob praising hair metal (of all things) for being popular while slandering two sub genres that are inherently designed to be extreme and therefor not mainstream...for not being popular...?

WHO is the poser?

Jesus Christ this guy is an idiot. Probably listening to Poison as I'm typing this.

Stop trying so hard, Chewing. You ****ing retard.
Also funny he’s a hair metal fan considering how homophobic he is considering that genre is incredibly homoerotic. Look at how they dressed (not I think that there’s anything wrong with crossdressing but chewing does, so…)

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 01:00 AM
:lol

You guys are so pathetic. You have to sound act tough and that's why you can't be seen praising Hair Metal/Glam Rock or whatever you want to call it. Mind you, you're in the extreme minority of people who don't like that music. But let's face it, we know you like it. Again, judging by how inferior you clowns feel internally, you have the need to mock Hair Metal as being lame or gay or whatever you want to call it.

And I repeat, some of the best musicians and singers are from that era.

David Coverdale, Tom Kiefer, and the best of the bunch Mike Matijevic.

And one of the greatest drummers of all time is Tommy Aldridge of Whitesnake.

Quit being lame posers and just admit good music is good music regardless of the era. Dumbasses.

SaltyMeatballs
10-21-2022, 01:43 AM

You guys are so pathetic. You have to sound act tough and that's why you can't be seen praising Hair Metal/Glam Rock or whatever you want to call it. Mind you, you're in the extreme minority of people who LIKE that music. But let's face it, we know you like it. Again, judging by how inferior you clowns feel internally, you have the need to mock Hair Metal as being lame or gay or whatever you want to call it.

Quit being lame posers and just admit good music is good music regardless of the era. Dumbasses.

Fixed it for you. I like a mix of rock but I had to google what Hair Metal/Glam Rock was. I seriously doubt the average person has even heard of that genre :oldlol:

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 01:48 AM
I had to google what Hair Metal/Glam Rock was. I seriously doubt the average person has even heard of that genre :oldlol:

Are you from a foreign country??

SaltyMeatballs
10-21-2022, 02:03 AM
Are you from a foreign country??

Born, raised, and living in the USA

Ask 100 people if they know what Glam Metal is and you'll maybeee, just maybeee get 1 person who knows

RRR3
10-21-2022, 10:25 AM

You guys are so pathetic. You have to sound act tough and that's why you can't be seen praising Hair Metal/Glam Rock or whatever you want to call it. Mind you, you're in the extreme minority of people who don't like that music. But let's face it, we know you like it. Again, judging by how inferior you clowns feel internally, you have the need to mock Hair Metal as being lame or gay or whatever you want to call it.

No one is denying the 80s had lots of great music. Hair metal just isn’t good fats accept it. Tommy Aldridge is a good drummer though but I know him from playing with Ozzy aka a real musician.

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 11:07 AM
Born, raised, and living in the USA

Ask 100 people if they know what Glam Metal is and you'll maybeee, just maybeee get 1 person who knows

I can't help it if you Zoomers don't know a god damn thing about anything.

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 11:08 AM
No one is denying the 80s had lots of great music. Hair metal just isn’t good fats accept it. Tommy Aldridge is a good drummer though but I know him from playing with Ozzy aka a real musician.

Don Dokken....another master. And Ozzy is overrated trash. C'mon man. At least pretend to know this stuff.

RRR3
10-21-2022, 12:56 PM
Don Dokken....another master. And Ozzy is overrated trash. C'mon man. At least pretend to know this stuff.
You like hair metal and you’re dissing the lead singer of Black Sabbath, easily one of the most important and talented bands in history? :roll:

RRR3
10-21-2022, 12:57 PM
https://youtu.be/xx6IwshTL6M

Literally better than everything any hair metal band ever did combined. Chewing is not only a fascist he’s deaf too

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 01:52 PM
You like hair metal and you’re dissing the lead singer of Black Sabbath, easily one of the most important and talented bands in history? :roll:

Oh my God man, Ozzy isn't Sabbath. Talented band as you said, not singer. Sabbath is IOMMI through and through and Dio, Martin, and Hughes are all better singers than Ozzy.

You see, when someone mentions Ozzy at being so grand, I have to wonder if they really know what they're talking about. Solo Ozzy has some decent stuff, but then again my ears gravitate towards Randy Rhoads or Zakk Wylde when I listen to it. Ozzy = Overrated

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 02:01 PM
https://youtu.be/xx6IwshTL6M

Literally better than everything any hair metal band ever did combined. Chewing is not only a fascist he’s deaf too

Great tune. But it's Tony's insane riffage that makes that song.

When you want to listen to Tony with a POWERFUL singer singing above his riffs, then let's listen to some DIO Sabbath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCb3E24dlks

And not to get off track here, but one can appreciate Sabbath which is Heavy Metal, and then appreciate the subgenre of Hair Metal. What is it you don't like about it? The spandex? The hairspray? Get over yourself man. :oldlol:

Listen to this song and I dare you to tell me you actually have a problem with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAi2R9NxMnU

Judas Priest could have come out with this song and you would have been none the wiser. Hell, at 0:50 seconds in the riff sounds like something you would hear on Metallica's Kill 'Em All. George Lynch just shredding it.

TheMan
10-21-2022, 02:26 PM
Don't care for hair metal, but that Dokken song is sick. I'm more of a classic metal fan (Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Accept, Dio) with some thrash thrown in (early Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus) and a splash of prog metal (Tool). I really really hated Poison, Winger, Warrant, White Lion, Great White, Bon Jovi, Cinderella etc that dominated the charts in the late 80s/early 90s right before Nirvana blew them all up. Though I do gotta admit I like Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses (are they considered a hair band?) and early Motley Crue :lol

RRR3
10-21-2022, 02:32 PM
Mentioning Martin and Hughes when discussing Black Sabbath :oldlol:

No shit Iommi is the most important member but you listing times when Ozzy, Bill Ward (and sometimes Geezer) weren’t there either as being genuine Sabbath is comical. I’m sorry you’re so ignorant you don’t know how good Ozzy sounded before he blew out his voice but that isn’t my problem.

https://youtu.be/602NgjH7vuU

https://youtu.be/9Xg2dy9UDn4

Dio is good but he didn’t fit in Sabbath. You don’t listen to doom metal and you’re afraid of smoking weed, don’t talk to me about Sabbath :oldlol: Everyone who knows what they’re talking about knows the best Sabbath stuff was with Ozzy. Because Ozzy fit the style the best. No one cares if Dio is technically a better singer his power meta style didn’t fit in a doom metal band, it just ended up sounding like his later solo career stuff tbqh. I refuse to even acknowledge Martin and Hughes that is insulting to any real Sabbath fan :yaohappy: As for Ozzy’s solo career, yes it’s not great after Randy Rhoads died although it’s still solid. But that’s because Ozzy abandoned doom metal which is the type of music his voice is meant for…he never sounds quite right unless he’s playing doom. That’s why he always sounds the best with Iommi writing music for him and why Iommi always sounds best with Ozzy singing. It’s a symbiotic relationship.

I can’t believe you’re trying to tell me about metal when you like bands like Warrant and Poison lol. Go listen to Cherry Pie fatty

RRR3
10-21-2022, 02:35 PM
Don't care for hair metal, but that Dokken song is sick. I'm more of a classic metal fan (Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Accept, Dio) with some thrash thrown in (early Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus) and a splash of prog metal (Tool). I really really hated Poison, Winger, Warrant, White Lion, Great White, Bon Jovi, Cinderella etc that dominated the charts in the late 80s/early 90s right before Nirvana blew them all up. Though I do gotta admit I like Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses (are they considered a hair band?) and early Motley Crue :lol
I like Guns N’ Roses. Not nearly as much as I used to but they were a good band. I would not call them hair metal they’re pretty much a continuation of what AC/DC, Aerosmith and Van Halen were doing. Slash has said many times he dislikes hair metal, he was into The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC. Are Def Leppard even hair metal? They predate it as far as I kno.

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 02:40 PM
Mentioning Martin and Hughes when discussing Black Sabbath :oldlol:

No shit Iommi is the most important member but you listing times when Ozzy, Bill Ward (and sometimes Geezer) weren’t there either as being genuine Sabbath is comical. I’m sorry you’re so ignorant you don’t know how good Ozzy sounded before he blew out his voice but that isn’t my problem.

https://youtu.be/602NgjH7vuU

https://youtu.be/9Xg2dy9UDn4

Dio is good but he didn’t fit in Sabbath. You don’t listen to doom metal and you’re afraid of smoking weed, don’t talk to me about Sabbath :oldlol: Everyone who knows what they’re talking about knows the best Sabbath stuff was with Ozzy. Because Ozzy fit the style the best. No one cares if Dio is technically a better singer his power meta style didn’t fit in a doom metal band, it just ended up sounding like his later solo career stuff tbqh. I refuse to even acknowledge Martin and Hughes that is insulting to any real Sabbath fan :yaohappy: As for Ozzy’s solo career, yes it’s not great after Randy Rhoads died although it’s still solid. But that’s because Ozzy abandoned doom metal which is the type of music his voice is meant for…he never sounds quite right unless he’s playing doom. That’s why he always sounds the best with Iommi writing music for him and why Iommi always sounds best with Ozzy singing. It’s a symbiotic relationship.

I can’t believe you’re trying to tell me about metal when you like bands like Warrant and Poison lol. Go listen to Cherry Pie fatty

Man I nailed it when I called you a poser. You have proven time and time again you don't know shit about Metal. You just like projecting and telling others they don't know what they're talking about just to cover for your ignorance. Dio didn't fit in Sabbath?? :oldlol::roll:

And Glenn Hughes is 10x the singer Dio is. Goddamn man, would it hurt you to just agree with me for once? Your bitter war against me clouds your judgment. I'll never find you and cave your ****ing skull in. So you can let your guard down you little bitch.

This M'fer wants to talk about Ozzy's voice fitting better with Doom Metal....comical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDi-TDVs0ps

RRR3
10-21-2022, 02:45 PM
This dude thinks albums without 3/4 of the classic lineup counts as great Sabbath albums and he’s calling me a poser :lol

Chewy you’re wrong about everything. Deal with it.

RRR3
10-21-2022, 02:46 PM
Chewing is the type of idiot who thinks Metallica was better without Cliff Burton :roll:

TheMan
10-21-2022, 02:54 PM
I like Guns N’ Roses. Not nearly as much as I used to but they were a good band. I would not call them hair metal they’re pretty much a continuation of what AC/DC, Aerosmith and Van Halen were doing. Slash has said many times he dislikes hair metal, he was into The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC. Are Def Leppard even hair metal? They predate it as far as I kno.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNJL9hR-XGaUxRHUJVUlX-7sm5gTFiDNjFlQ&usqp=CAU

I believe GNR were considered hair metal when they had this look but yeah, I remember them being considered not being a hair band by their Appetite For Destruction era. Def Leppard were thrown into the hair metal genre but you're right, they did come up during the New Wave of British Heavy Metal era along with Iron Maiden, Saxon, Manowar etc. I also liked Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and Ratt but this was before glam/hair metal became a category towards the mid to late 80s (Poison, Britny Fox, Stryper, Slaughter etc). I also dug Skid Row, never considered them a glam hair metal band but they too were thrown into that genre.

Never liked the hair spray, spandex and lip stick, always found that off putting. I loved early Metallica's look, now that's how a metal band is supposed to look...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/55/76/2c/55762c78529b719b4ea58f1d386768f2.jpg

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 02:56 PM
Chewing is the type of idiot who thinks Metallica was better without Cliff Burton :roll:

No, they were better with Dave Mustaine. :lol

You're the type of poser that throws out the mainstream names like Ozzy and Cliff Burton as some sort of badge of honor. Like you're trying to prove a point that you know what you're talking about. But when you say stupid shit like no real Black Sabbath fan would acknowledge Martin and Hughes, it just proves you're an embarrassment with little to no knowledge on Metal and the history of Metal. I bet you also think the Big 4 are the best Thrash bands out there of all time. :lol

TheMan
10-21-2022, 03:12 PM
I know I'm only talking about the image side of these bands but this to me looks like a metal band...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8EPaCgvcGeC2EgS4DuDUrXWz5A29xd-Lnbw&usqp=CAU

This to me looks ridiculous...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFs082tUcdUmgfsnEOaekWIksWIpztY n57PQ&usqp=CAU

RRR3
10-21-2022, 03:37 PM
No, they were better with Dave Mustaine. :lol

You're the type of poser that throws out the mainstream names like Ozzy and Cliff Burton as some sort of badge of honor. Like you're trying to prove a point that you know what you're talking about. But when you say stupid shit like no real Black Sabbath fan would acknowledge Martin and Hughes, it just proves you're an embarrassment with little to no knowledge on Metal and the history of Metal. I bet you also think the Big 4 are the best Thrash bands out there of all time. :lol
Metallica from 83-86 is absolutely the best thrash band of all time. Because of Cliff’s influence, they understood melody in a way no other thrash band did besides Megadeth. You’re calling me a poser but you’re intentionally throwing out unpopular opinions in an attempt to seem edgy. You’ll be telling me Xentrix is the best thrash band soon I’m sure :lol

RRR3
10-21-2022, 03:39 PM
I know I'm only talking about the image side of these bands but this to me looks like a metal band...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8EPaCgvcGeC2EgS4DuDUrXWz5A29xd-Lnbw&usqp=CAU

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFs082tUcdUmgfsnEOaekWIksWIpztY n57PQ&usqp=CAU
I don’t give a shit if guys dress like girls but it’s funny chewing likes that stuff considering his macho posturing.

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 03:53 PM
Metallica from 83-86 is absolutely the best thrash band of all time. Because of Cliff’s influence, they understood melody in a way no other thrash band did besides Megadeth. You’re calling me a poser but you’re intentionally throwing out unpopular opinions in an attempt to seem edgy. You’ll be telling me Xentrix is the best thrash band soon I’m sure :lol

Overkill/Testament/Exodus/Death Angel/Kreator/Annihilator >>>>> Anthrax & Slayer

RRR3
10-21-2022, 04:06 PM
Overkill/Testament/Exodus/Death Angel/Kreator/Annihilator >>>>> Anthrax & Slayer
Anthrax is overrated so I agree with Exodus and Testament being better for sure. Overkill and Kreator maybe. Slayer is extremely important historically and a personal favorite although Testament is definitely amongst the most technically skilled thrash bands. You claim to be an expert but you’re still listing the biggest thrash bands :lol. No mention of guys like Anacrusis, Nuclear Assault, Whiplash, or Wehrmacht. Chewy confirmed poser.

TheMan
10-21-2022, 04:06 PM

It's subjective, bro.

Patrick Chewing
10-21-2022, 04:37 PM
Anthrax is overrated so I agree with Exodus and Testament being better for sure. Overkill and Kreator maybe. Slayer is extremely important historically and a personal favorite although Testament is definitely amongst the most technically skilled thrash bands. You claim to be an expert but you’re still listing the biggest thrash bands :lol. No mention of guys like Anacrusis, Nuclear Assault, Whiplash, or Wehrmacht. Chewy confirmed poser.

I'm only mentioning the Thrash bands who I feel are better musically than the Thrash bands of the Big 4. I too can list off a bunch of Thrash bands. :lol

RRR3
10-21-2022, 04:45 PM
I'm only mentioning the Thrash bands who I feel are better musically than the Thrash bands of the Big 4. I too can list off a bunch of Thrash bands. :lol
What does better musically even mean to you? You seem to be overly concerned with technical skill in which case I assume you think Dream Theater is the best band ever. Great music isn’t about being the most skilled it’s about creating atmosphere and innovation.

Smook A.
10-21-2022, 06:31 PM

If there ever was a picture to define the people of the 80s, these would be it

highwhey
10-21-2022, 06:58 PM

the only band you should be focusing on:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/-/scassets/images/org/health/articles/17163-gastric-band-surgery

RRR3
10-21-2022, 08:04 PM

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/-/scassets/images/org/health/articles/17163-gastric-band-surgery

SaltyMeatballs
10-21-2022, 08:39 PM
I can't help it if you Zoomers don't know a god damn thing about anything.

I'm far from being a damn "Zoomer" :oldlol: I actually listen to a lot of different genres and decades of music, especially 80s and 90s. Never in my life have I heard of "Glam Metal". You really said you're in the minority of people who don't like the music, but I guarantee the majority of people in the world have never heard of that genre :roll:

Gohan
10-21-2022, 08:41 PM
White people and their rock music smh

SATAN
10-22-2022, 12:53 AM

You've never written a song in your life. Shut the **** up, fatboy.

SATAN
10-22-2022, 12:59 AM

:oldlol:

warriorfan
10-22-2022, 02:17 AM

I would advise you to get the surgery but you are probably too fat for the procedure and even if you got it knowing your little to no self control considering how you have been in and out of rehab over half a dozen times in the past year, you would just keep eating 7 tacos in a sitting while watching TV all day and pop it off in a few months.

Patrick Chewing
10-22-2022, 10:48 AM
I'm far from being a damn "Zoomer" :oldlol: I actually listen to a lot of different genres and decades of music, especially 80s and 90s. Never in my life have I heard of "Glam Metal". You really said you're in the minority of people who don't like the music, but I guarantee the majority of people in the world have never heard of that genre :roll:

I'm pretty sure you're a Zoomer. I'm pretty sure 90% of Americans over 40 know what Glam Metal/Hair Metal is. And there are more people over 40 in this country than there are under. The fact that you have never heard of it considering how that genre dominated the airwaves for a good 10 years just proves that you're probably just a pre-pubescent teen. Educate yourself, Zoomer.

Patrick Chewing
10-22-2022, 10:50 AM
I would advise you to get the surgery but you are probably too fat for the procedure and even if you got it knowing your little to no self control considering how you have been in and out of rehab over half a dozen times in the past year, you would just keep eating 7 tacos in a sitting while watching TV all day and pop it off in a few months.

It's funny how that fat f*ck has posted his fat face on here several times and posted a picture of him eating 8 tacos, and he has the nerve to talk about others.

Patrick Chewing
10-22-2022, 10:57 AM
Here you go Salty Meatballs you dumb goof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72LwJ5eGQsE

Educate yourself and never come at me with questions or doubts about what I'm talking about. On this board, I AM THE METAL GOD.

Been listening to this music for nearly 30 years.

RRR3
10-22-2022, 11:06 AM
It's funny how that fat f*ck has posted his fat face on here several times and posted a picture of him eating 8 tacos, and he has the nerve to talk about others.
But you’re much fatter than him…

SATAN
10-22-2022, 11:21 AM

About same. Started mid 80s. And I can play any band's music you've mentioned. Worked in the music industry. Sit the **** down and check your ego. Dudes like you are an absolute joke.

Patrick Chewing
10-22-2022, 11:35 AM
About same. Started mid 80s. And I can play any band's music you've mentioned. Worked in the music industry.

Whoop-de-****ing-do nobody cares.

SATAN
10-22-2022, 11:37 AM
Whoop-de-****ing-do nobody cares.

The people you admire don't even like people like yourself. Apart from Jon. Never forget that.

Patrick Chewing
10-22-2022, 11:45 AM
The people you admire don't even like people like yourself. Apart from Jon. Never forget that.

The people I admire don't even like people like myself? What on Earth are you talking about? Go join the other posers like RRR3 and that clueless buffoon Salty Meatballs.

SaltyMeatballs
10-22-2022, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure you're a Zoomer. I'm pretty sure 90% of Americans over 40 know what Glam Metal/Hair Metal is. And there are more people over 40 in this country than there are under. The fact that you have never heard of it considering how that genre dominated the airwaves for a good 10 years just proves that you're probably just a pre-pubescent teen. Educate yourself, Zoomer.
Probably more like .09%

SaltyMeatballs
10-22-2022, 07:23 PM
Here you go Salty Meatballs you dumb goof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72LwJ5eGQsE

Educate yourself and never come at me with questions or doubts about what I'm talking about. On this board, I AM THE METAL GOD.

Very poor taste I must say

SATAN
10-22-2022, 08:29 PM
Glam metal. :oldlol:

It's like the Michael Bolton of heavy music.

warriorfan
10-22-2022, 08:34 PM
meatballs and satan live in fly over states

SATAN
10-22-2022, 08:35 PM
We've seen where you live, you ****in' junky bum. :oldlol:

Patrick Chewing
10-22-2022, 10:43 PM
Probably more like .09%

I mean, what were you thinking when assuming no one knows about Glam Metal when it's literally part of Heavy Metal history?? That is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Shame on you. I mean, shame on you.

SaltyMeatballs
10-22-2022, 11:06 PM
I mean, what were you thinking when assuming no one knows about Glam Metal when it's literally part of Heavy Metal history?? That is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Shame on you. I mean, shame on you.

It's not really an assumption :oldlol:

warriorfan
10-22-2022, 11:43 PM
We've seen where you live, you ****in' junky bum. :oldlol:

have fun in missouri :lol

RRR3
10-23-2022, 12:21 AM
Chewy have you ever actually talked to metalheads? None of us consider glam “metal” to be legitimate metal. You’re the poser here confirmed.

Patrick Chewing
10-23-2022, 05:52 AM
Chewy have you ever actually talked to metalheads? None of us consider glam “metal” to be legitimate metal. You’re the poser here confirmed.

A poser is someone who doesn't acknowledge all aspects or know much about the Metal genre in general. Salty boy over there is definitely a poser. He's the guy that goes around in life thinking Metallica is the greatest Metal band in history. You're very suspect too. You strike me as Five Finger Death Punch kid who just rattles off Black Metal bands to disguise his true identity.

SATAN
10-23-2022, 06:17 AM
Poseur Chewing :oldlol:

RRR3
10-23-2022, 11:29 AM
A poser is someone who doesn't acknowledge all aspects or know much about the Metal genre in general. Salty boy over there is definitely a poser. He's the guy that goes around in life thinking Metallica is the greatest Metal band in history. You're very suspect too. You strike me as Five Finger Death Punch kid who just rattles off Black Metal bands to disguise his true identity.
Fatty…Hair metal is literally not considered metal by metalheads I’m 100% convinced you’ve never talked to one now.

Patrick Chewing
10-23-2022, 12:08 PM
Fatty…Hair metal is literally not considered metal by metalheads I’m 100% convinced you’ve never talked to one now.

Watch the video clip I posted you moron. Look at the guy conducting the interview. If you don't know who that is, you're a moron. You're not less of a dork by not acknowledging Hair Metal you goof.

SaltyMeatballs
10-23-2022, 01:53 PM

I don’t even listen to metal but I can still tell you that Metallica is quite easily one of the top 3 metal bands ever. You’re a fool if you think otherwise

RRR3
10-23-2022, 05:43 PM
Watch the video clip I posted you moron. Look at the guy conducting the interview. If you don't know who that is, you're a moron. You're not less of a dork by not acknowledging Hair Metal you goof.
I never said it didn’t exist I said it’s not real metal. Ask any metal fan tubs.

highwhey
10-23-2022, 05:46 PM
"A poser is someone who doesn't acknowledge all aspects or know much about the Metal genre in general. Salty boy over there is definitely a poser. He's the guy that goes around in life thinking Metallica is the greatest Metal band in history. You're very suspect too. You strike me as Five Finger Death Punch kid who just rattles off Black Metal bands to disguise his true identity."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-H7JByz8NpOc/Ulxtp0h-8DI/AAAAAAAAFDs/Yuh7hedxyZs/s1600/fat+guy+on+computer+asdf.jpg

SaltyMeatballs
10-23-2022, 05:51 PM
"A poser is someone who doesn't acknowledge all aspects or know much about the Metal genre in general. Salty boy over there is definitely a poser. He's the guy that goes around in life thinking Metallica is the greatest Metal band in history. You're very suspect too. You strike me as Five Finger Death Punch kid who just rattles off Black Metal bands to disguise his true identity."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-H7JByz8NpOc/Ulxtp0h-8DI/AAAAAAAAFDs/Yuh7hedxyZs/s1600/fat+guy+on+computer+asdf.jpg

:roll::roll:

Patrick Chewing
10-23-2022, 07:40 PM
I don’t even listen to metal

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh well what do you know!!! :oldlol:

Please remove yourself from this conversation then if you're not even qualified to discuss it. LOL classic as hell. I call him a poser and low and behold, he is one!

SaltyMeatballs
10-23-2022, 08:03 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh well what do you know!!! :oldlol:

Please remove yourself from this conversation then if you're not even qualified to discuss it. LOL classic as hell. I call him a poser and low and behold, he is one!

Metal is ass to me. I prefer alternative rock, r&b, rap, pop, soul, funk, disco. Basically any genre of music other than country, screamo, and heavy metal

Overdrive
10-23-2022, 08:19 PM
Chewy, it's obvious that hairmetal stems from late 70s hardrock more than the first realmetal bands like Sabbath or Priest. You even cited Whitesnake, who were a spin off of Deep Purple. They pioneered the genre among others and had nothin incommon with the bands that helped further metal at the time.

That doesn't make hairmetal bad music in itself. The genre had some good, some bad and alot of average bands, just like any other genre. Yes, instrumental virtuosity was high, but uselss if the songwriting isn't good. Nitro had some of the best musicians of the era, but they're not memorable in the least. Also the singing within the genre is so interchangeable.

I played in two bands so far. One was a 5 piece the other a power trio. The 5 piece did straight up hardrock. The power trio did ballads to hardrock to thrashy metal. Whatever we felt like writing. I play bass and do some songwriting.

I won't post anything, simply because I don't want to reveal myself incase someone I know posts or reads here.

RRR3
10-23-2022, 08:44 PM

:roll: :yaohappy:

RRR3
10-23-2022, 08:45 PM
Chewy, it's obvious that hairmetal stems from late 70s hardrock more than the first realmetal bands like Sabbath or Priest. You even cited Whitesnake, who were a spin off of Deep Purple. They pioneered the genre among others and had nothin incommon with the bands that helped further metal at the time.

That doesn't make hairmetal bad music in itself. The genre had some good, some bad and alot of average bands, just like any other genre. Yes, instrumental virtuosity was high, but uselss if the songwriting isn't good. Nitro had some of the best musicians of the era, but they're not memorable in the least. Also the singing within the genre is so interchangeable.

I played in two bands so far. One was a 5 piece the other a power trio. The 5 piece did straight up hardrock. The power trio did ballads to hardrock to thrashy metal. Whatever we felt like writing. I play bass and do some songwriting.

I won't post anything, simply because I don't want to reveal myself incase someone I know posts or reads here.
Ether.

Seriously Chewy go to a metal show and tell them Poison and Warran are metal, see what happens :roll:

Patrick Chewing
10-23-2022, 09:17 PM
Ether.

Seriously Chewy go to a metal show and tell them Poison and Warran are metal, see what happens :roll:

That's not an ether you dolt. He is explaining correctly how it started. And if you wouldn't be so lazy and watch the video from a Metal aficionado like Sam Dunn, you would understand its beginnings.

You're having a mental blockage of some sort just admitting that Hair Metal is a sub-genre of Heavy Metal in general. Just say you don't like Hair Metal and be done with it. But you want more. You want to somehow be right and all-knowing and want to change the history of Metal to exclude Hair Metal and it just ain't happening pal.

And you keep bringing up Poison who is undoubtedly the worst and most commercialized of Hair Metal bands, but I find it funny how you don't mention bands like Steelheart, Dokken, Krokus, Skid Row, W.A.S.P., Scorpions, and even early Pantera.

Overdrive
10-23-2022, 09:29 PM
That's not an ether you dolt. He is explaining correctly how it started. And if you wouldn't be so lazy and watch the video from a Metal aficionado like Sam Dunn, you would understand its beginnings.

You're having a mental blockage of some sort just admitting that Hair Metal is a sub-genre of Heavy Metal in general. Just say you don't like Hair Metal and be done with it. But you want more. You want to somehow be right and all-knowing and want to change the history of Metal to exclude Hair Metal and it just ain't happening pal.

And you keep bringing up Poison who is undoubtedly the worst and most commercialized of Hair Metal bands, but I find it funny how you don't mention bands like Steelheart, Dokken, Krokus, Skid Row, W.A.S.P., Scorpions, and even early Pantera.

Wasn't meant as an ether. I see it a tad different than you, but it was obviously called metal. So it has it's place but it was a dead end genre within the metal realm. It obviously came from hard rock, but led to nowhere within metal.

I have a hard time lumping together the Scorpions with the other bands. They predated most hair metal and even proto hair bands. For me they are straight up hard rock.

Even within your list there is a difference in heavyness. Krokus is more or less a swiss ACDC while W.A.S.P. is closer to Priest fashioned straight up heavy metal than any of the other bands.

RRR3
10-23-2022, 09:52 PM
Early Pantera was horrible they would tell you that themselves :oldlol:

Chewy not beating the poser allegations.

Overdrive
10-23-2022, 10:15 PM

As I posted in the other threat Metallica is imo the greatest metal band ever. It's between them, Maiden and Black Sabbath. They're the only bands that could drag a non metal audience into listening to their catalogue.

Do I think they have the most talent or did write the best songs? Nah that's too dependent on my mood, but Metallica are up there as songwriters. Even their shitty alternative rock albums had some wellwritten tunes.

I think it became way to cliché to hate on Metallica to show you're a true metalhead. Are they commercially successful? Sure they are, but who, who starts a band doesn't dream of monetizing his own music to the point where he can atleast a good life off of it? Anyone who claims the opposite is a hypocrite. No musician would prefer to stay in a dirty workplace for minimum wage or a bit more instead of getting millions by playing your instrument.

RRR3
10-23-2022, 10:21 PM
Greatest has to be Sabbath. They invented it and were also uber talented, Geezer and Ward have to be amongst the GOAT rhythm sections and Iommi IMO writes the best riffs of anyone ever. And before he ****ed his voice up, Ozzy was amongst the best metal singers we’ve seen. Their first six albums are all god tier they only went off the rails once the band (Ozzy in particular) got really ****ed up on drugs. Metallica with Cliff is up there but not after he left not nearly the same passion, skill or songwriting ability. They released 3 god tier albums with Cliff in a less than four years. They’ve released one god tier album without Cliff and they’ve been without him for over 35 years.

Patrick Chewing
10-23-2022, 10:51 PM
Sabbath has always struck me as Classic Rock, but for the sake at the topic at hand, we'll label them a Metal band. I don't think they created the genre by themselves. I think it was a combination of bands from them, to Rush, and to Led Zeppelin. And while Sabbath were definitely pioneers, I don't think their catalog is on par with various other bands that can be labeled as the greatest Metal band out there. I have a hard time seeing any other band knock Judas Priest or Maiden off the top of the mountain. From the musicianship, the talent, the longevity and their catalog, it's hard to not label either one of those bands as the best. Sabbath did give way to Doom Metal and to one of my favorite genres, Stoner Rock/Metal. And they also had a huge influence on one of my favorite bands of all time, Soundgarden. I credit them for creating a slower and more melodic sound versus the speed and technicality you get with Speed, Power, or Thrash Metal.

Metallica's first three albums have stood the test of time, but I think it's their lack of an extensive catalog and their inability to recreate their original sound that makes them a bit overrated to me. AJFA is a great album, but you can sense a slight change in their tone and tempo. TBA is a great album too, but it's completely different. Everything else after that has been sub-par and there have been so many great albums from other Metal bands that have topped Metallica from AJFA to present day.

Overdrive
10-23-2022, 10:54 PM
Greatest has to be Sabbath. They invented it and were also uber talented, Geezer and Ward have to be amongst the GOAT rhythm sections and Iommi IMO writes the best riffs of anyone ever. And before he ****ed his voice up, Ozzy was amongst the best metal singers we’ve seen. Their first six albums are all god tier they only went off the rails once the band (Ozzy in particular) got really ****ed up on drugs. Metallica with Cliff is up there but not after he left not nearly the same passion, skill or songwriting ability. They released 3 god tier albums with Cliff in a less than four years. They’ve released one god tier album without Cliff and they’ve been without him for over 35 years.

I love Sabbath, but their musicianship as a band is overrated. They were talented, sure. But they kept doing the same thing for 6 albums and once they turned it around they became boring. Dio kind of saved them. Was Ozzy more fitting for the riffs Iommi wrote prior to Technical Ecstasy? Sure, but with Ozzy they would've went down. Dio gave them a breathe of fresh air and the albums were great.

Keep in mind the first 6 albums came within 5 years. Just like Metallica's four. If someone made a best of either 5 years it would be a tough choice who had the best songs.

It could either way, but I just think Metallica took what Black Sabbath created to a new level. Yes, Sabbath were the creators of the genre, but when you think of it. At the time Metallica broke out their style was one of the more extreme metal styles and they still broke into the mainstream, while Black Sabbath was well within the boundaries of hard rock in 1970. Someone liking Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath is not unusual, someone listeing to Cream, Fleetwood Mac and Metallica's Ride The Lightning is.

Overdrive
10-23-2022, 11:00 PM
Sabbath has always struck me as Classic Rock, but for the sake at the topic at hand, we'll label them a Metal band. I don't think they created the genre by themselves. I think it was a combination of bands from them, to Rush, and to Led Zeppelin. And while Sabbath were definitely pioneers, I don't think their catalog is on par with various other bands that can be labeled as the greatest Metal band out there. I have a hard time seeing any other band knock Judas Priest or Maiden off the top of the mountain. From the musicianship, the talent, the longevity and their catalog, it's hard to not label either one of those bands as the best. Sabbath did give way to Doom Metal and to one of my favorite genres, Stoner Rock/Metal. And they also had a huge influence on one of my favorite bands of all time, Soundgarden. I credit them for creating a slower and more melodic sound versus the speed and technicality you get with Speed, Power, or Thrash Metal.

Metallica's first three albums have stood the test of time, but I think it's their lack of an extensive catalog and their inability to recreate their original sound that makes them a bit overrated to me. AJFA is a great album, but you can sense a slight change in their tone and tempo. TBA is a great album too, but it's completely different. Everything else after that has been sub-par and there have been so many great albums from other Metal bands that have topped Metallica from AJFA to present day.

AJFA is when they switched to Mesa Boogie. Making the tone way heavier even on standard tunings.

My problem with Priest is that while being a godtier band in terms of talent at the time, they lacked a high amount of all time great songs and had average albums for large stretches of their career. Not saying I don't like them, for me they've just always been slightly below the three bands I meantioned.

Maiden has them beat in longevity on a high level. Both Sabbath and Metallica in peak.

Patrick Chewing
10-23-2022, 11:10 PM
It's crazy, but latter Priest has put out some of their best material. Angel of Retribution, Nostradamus, Redeemer of Souls, and Firepower just absolutely obliterate the previous five albums or so before Angel.

To me, and this could be congruent with Bruce's illness, Maiden has been on the decline since A Matter of Life and Death.

It's extremely hard for me to listen to any new Metal coming out now. Ghost is absolute shit.

Overdrive
10-23-2022, 11:18 PM
It's crazy, but latter Priest has put out some of their best material. Angel of Retribution, Nostradamus, Redeemer of Souls, and Firepower just absolutely obliterate the previous five albums or so before Angel.

To me, and this could be congruent with Bruce's illness, Maiden has been on the decline since A Matter of Life and Death.

It's extremely hard for me to listen to any new Metal coming out now. Ghost is absolute shit.

Firepower is awesome, you're kind of right, but I only feel the last two were a improvement. Maybe they needed to seperate from KK. And yeah the newest Maiden releases are definately lacking, but these guys made killer albums for like 35 years. Even the Blaze albums had some world class songs on them.

RRR3
10-23-2022, 11:22 PM
I love Sabbath, but their musicianship as a band is overrated. They were talented, sure. But they kept doing the same thing for 6 albums and once they turned it around they became boring. Dio kind of saved them. Was Ozzy more fitting for the riffs Iommi wrote prior to Technical Ecstasy? Sure, but with Ozzy they would've went down. Dio gave them a breathe of fresh air and the albums were great.

Keep in mind the first 6 albums came within 5 years. Just like Metallica's four. If someone made a best of either 5 years it would be a tough choice who had the best songs.

It could either way, but I just think Metallica took what Black Sabbath created to a new level. Yes, Sabbath were the creators of the genre, but when you think of it. At the time Metallica broke out their style was one of the more extreme metal styles and they still broke into the mainstream, while Black Sabbath was well within the boundaries of hard rock in 1970. Someone liking Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath is not unusual, someone listeing to Cream, Fleetwood Mac and Metallica's Ride The Lightning is.
The Dio albums just sound like Dio’s solo career to me. Which is fine because I like Dio but it’s not what I’m looking for when I’m listening to Sabbath. Metal bands aren’t exactly who I look to in terms of breaking out of formulas anyways (most of the big ones have done the same shit for ages), as far as metal bands go I think Sabbath mixed it up fairly well in the classic Ozzy era. Songs like Planet Caravan, Solitude, Changes, Am I Going Insane, Sometimes I’m Happy, The Wizard, Rat Salad, Who Are You and others are definitely examples of them breaking out of the comfort zone of just doing doom metal. A lot of Jazz influence in Iommi and Ward’s playing as well. But I also think mixing it up just for the sake of mixing it up isn’t a feather in a band’s cap. There were bands that were capable of changing their sound pretty drastically and still sounding amazing, such as the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and The Smashing Pumpkins. But many bands aren’t capable of that.

Btw the Dio era didn’t have Bill Ward either and that’s just too much of the classic lineup missing for me to consider to be real Sabbath. And the stuff without Dio or Ozzy is mostly dreck.

Overdrive
10-23-2022, 11:47 PM
The Dio albums just sound like Dio’s solo career to me. Which is fine because I like Dio but it’s not what I’m looking for when I’m listening to Sabbath. Metal bands aren’t exactly who I look to in terms of breaking out of formulas anyways (most of the big ones have done the same shit for ages), as far as metal bands go I think Sabbath mixed it up fairly well in the classic Ozzy era. Songs like Planet Caravan, Solitude, Changes, Am I Going Insane, Sometimes I’m Happy, The Wizard, Rat Salad, Who Are You and others are definitely examples of them breaking out of the comfort zone of just doing doom metal. A lot of Jazz influence in Iommi and Ward’s playing as well. But I also think mixing it up just for the sake of mixing it up isn’t a feather in a band’s cap. There were bands that were capable of changing their sound pretty drastically and still sounding amazing, such as the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and The Smashing Pumpkins. But many bands aren’t capable of that.

Btw the Dio era didn’t have Bill Ward either and that’s just too much of the classic lineup missing for me to consider to be real Sabbath. And the stuff without Dio or Ozzy is mostly dreck.

Yeah, they had outlier songs, that were mostly fillers on their albums. What I meant is that they didn't evolve much in their sound within these first 6 albums. Metallica did and then made a drastic step between AJFA and BA, but if we're real the BA is a masterpiece metal album. Just not the thrash Metallica fans were used to.

I'm not happy arguing against Sabbath. They're definately on the mount Rushmore of metal. They're Washington, while Metallica is Lincoln. It's just a matter of taste who you think is better.

And yes the Dio albums surprisingly sound like Dio. I had this in my last post but scratched it. It's obvious ofc. Iommi wrote songs around Dio's more operatic voice so they had a more epic, proto power metal flair to them. I also agree most Sabbath without either Ozzy or Dio is trash.

RRR3
10-23-2022, 11:57 PM
Yeah, they had outlier songs, that were mostly fillers on their albums. What I meant is that they didn't evolve much in their sound within these first 6 albums. Metallica did and then made a drastic step between AJFA and BA, but if we're real the BA is a masterpiece metal album. Just not the thrash Metallica fans were used to.

I'm not happy arguing against Sabbath. They're definately on the mount Rushmore of metal. They're Washington, while Metallica is Lincoln. It's just a matter of taste who you think is better.

And yes the Dio albums surprisingly sound like Dio. I had this in my last post but scratched it. It's obvious ofc. Iommi wrote songs around Dio's more operatic voice so they had a more epic, proto power metal flair to them. I also agree most Sabbath without either Ozzy or Dio is trash.
Yeah Iommi writes songs around the singers but he’s IMO easily best at writing doom metal which is why his best stuff is with Ozzy who has a voice tailor made for doom. Idk if you listen to doom outside of Sabbath but so many, perhaps even the majority of doom metal singers I’ve heard are clearly imitating Ozzy. Disagree on the Black Album being a masterpiece. Some of those songs just sound weak and poppy and are too basic and mailed in. The Unforgiven is the only song on that album that I think is worthy of the Cliff era.

TheMan
10-24-2022, 12:11 AM

Krokus wasn't hair metal, neither the Scorpions nor W.A.S.P. Hair glam metal bands were light metal aimed at the chicks. I really hated those bands.

TheMan
10-24-2022, 12:23 AM

Maiden are my absolute favorite band, I highly disagree with your take, The Final Frontier has some strong songs but overall not as great as A Matter of Life and Death but Book Of Souls and Senjutsu are some of their best post 80's work. I guess it's a matter of taste, I hear most Maiden's fans gripes with the later albums are that the songs are too long, I guess they want shorter songs like The Trooper rehashed. Me, I love their long epic songs like Alexander The Great and To Tame a Land so songs like When the Wild Wind Blows, Empire of the Clouds and Hell On Earth are right up my alley.

Maiden are the GOAT Metal band...and they never sold out like Metallica.

RRR3
10-24-2022, 01:07 AM
I maintain no one is ****ing with this version of Sabbath. That rhythm section :bowdown: Plus peak Ozzy vocals? And Iommi with his usual god tier riffing? Forget about it. This is live and they sound better than the studio.

https://youtu.be/K3b6SGoN6dA

Overdrive
10-24-2022, 01:18 AM
Maiden are my absolute favorite band, I highly disagree with your take, The Final Frontier has some strong songs but overall not as great as A Matter of Life and Death but Book Of Souls and Senjutsu are some of their best post 80's work. I guess it's a matter of taste, I hear most Maiden's fans gripes with the later albums are that the songs are too long, I guess they want shorter songs like The Trooper rehashed. Me, I love their long epic songs like Alexander The Great and To Tame a Land so songs like When the Wild Wind Blows, Empire of the Clouds and Hell On Earth are right up my alley.

Length doesn't bother me at all. I think they/Steve became lazy after Bruce came back. There are still some good songs here and there, but mostly it sounds like some guy programmed an AI to write generic Iron Maidenesque songs.

Overdrive
10-24-2022, 01:36 AM
I maintain no one is ****ing with this version of Sabbath. That rhythm section :bowdown: Plus peak Ozzy vocals? And Iommi with his usual god tier riffing? Forget about it. This is live and they sound better than the studio.

https://youtu.be/K3b6SGoN6dA

It's always this vid that's cited when it comes to Black Sabbath.

Yeah Iommi writes songs around the singers but he’s IMO easily best at writing doom metal which is why his best stuff is with Ozzy who has a voice tailor made for doom. Idk if you listen to doom outside of Sabbath but so many, perhaps even the majority of doom metal singers I’ve heard are clearly imitating Ozzy. Disagree on the Black Album being a masterpiece. Some of those songs just sound weak and poppy and are too basic and mailed in. The Unforgiven is the only song on that album that I think is worthy of the Cliff era.

I don't actively seek out doom metal as I usually find it too dragging and a lot of stuff I heard is too much trying to make a career out of recreating the sound of Master of Reality.

I think the BA is a masterpiece, because it doesn't have a really weak song and some timeless classics. Do I think it's up to par with their ealier work when it strictly comes to metal? Definately not. They went from thrash pioneers to thrash gods to sell outs within a decade and the BA was the basis for them selling out, but that album still definately was metal - not thrash, simply metal. Accesibility and simplicity aren't criterias for me disliking music and while hardrock and metal are my favourite genres I have a broad spectrum of musical taste. Idgaf if somethings cheesy or catchy.

RRR3
10-24-2022, 02:32 AM
It's always this vid that's cited when it comes to Black Sabbath.

I don't actively seek out doom metal as I usually find it too dragging and a lot of stuff I heard is too much trying to make a career out of recreating the sound of Master of Reality.

I think the BA is a masterpiece, because it doesn't have a really weak song and some timeless classics. Do I think it's up to par with their ealier work when it strictly comes to metal? Definately not. They went from thrash pioneers to thrash gods to sell outs within a decade and the BA was the basis for them selling out, but that album still definately was metal - not thrash, simply metal. Accesibility and simplicity aren't criterias for me disliking music and while hardrock and metal are my favourite genres I have a broad spectrum of musical taste. Idgaf if somethings cheesy or catchy.
I would have sent Into the Void if there was footage of it from back then. That’s their best song. The War Pigs video is just the best example of how good Ward was. Doom is the best kind of metal IMO, it’s very heavy but also very melodic and it just creates such an incredible atmosphere. It’s also the best kind of music when you’re stoned.

I didn’t say the BA wasn’t metal, I just don’t think it’s that great. It’s a good album but it lacks the same punch and impact as any of their previous ones apart from The Unforgiven, which is admittedly one of their best songs. There are some great riffs but I just don’t hear the same passion and creativity as I did from 80s Metallica.

HylianNightmare
10-24-2022, 05:56 AM
https://www.reverbnation.com/wavedashthroughtheonslaught

Like 10 years ago. I play guitar

Hey Yo
10-24-2022, 09:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-jPZAjD2UM

Patrick Chewing
10-24-2022, 11:14 AM

Nah man Maiden is top tier like I said. I just think I hear less power and energy coming from them in these last few albums, whereas Judas Priest have kicked it into another gear, but then again that could be a direct result of having Richie Faulkner in the lineup and that dude is our age. I have Senjutsu, but I really haven't given it time yet. Maybe I'm biased cause I got introduced to Maiden when Brave New World came out and then Dance of Death kind of blew my mind away. To this day, Paschendale is my favorite Maiden song of all time. Wasted Years comes in a close second.

Patrick Chewing
10-24-2022, 04:49 PM
Oh this also had to be mentioned....but LuLu.....what an embarrassment by Metallica. :facepalm

TheMan
10-24-2022, 07:21 PM
Length doesn't bother me at all. I think they/Steve became lazy after Bruce came back. There are still some good songs here and there, but mostly it sounds like some guy programmed an AI to write generic Iron Maidenesque songs.
I couldn't disagree more, I never understood why fans of a band criticize a band for sounding like themselves, lol. I want Maiden to sound like Maiden, not buy an album of theirs and then see them become a jazz improv band lol. Every great band that's been out a while sounds like themselves, RHCP, Tool, Megadeth etc. Maiden is no different. Sure they follow a formula but it's theirs and they can create different songs within that formula, if you will.

I love some of their post 80s albums as much as their peak 80s material. I might be in the minority of Maiden fans, I might not be, there were tons of young fans when I saw them live a few weeks ago, more than 65,000 strong, they're still doing something right.

:cheers:

Overdrive
10-25-2022, 04:37 AM
I would have sent Into the Void if there was footage of it from back then. That’s their best song. The War Pigs video is just the best example of how good Ward was. Doom is the best kind of metal IMO, it’s very heavy but also very melodic and it just creates such an incredible atmosphere. It’s also the best kind of music when you’re stoned.

I didn’t say the BA wasn’t metal, I just don’t think it’s that great. It’s a good album but it lacks the same punch and impact as any of their previous ones apart from The Unforgiven, which is admittedly one of their best songs. There are some great riffs but I just don’t hear the same passion and creativity as I did from 80s Metallica.

Wasn't a jab at you. I just think it's funny how the 70 Paris War Pigs always comes up in discussions about BS. Not even meant in a negative way. I guess I watched that vid when it first was uploaded onto youtube some 10 years+ ago and it dtill pops up anytime someone talks about the band. Don't get me wrong. I don't think doom is bad. It's just not for me mostly.

I'd say we should agree to disagree on the BA. For me it's one of those rare album were even the filler material is inoffensive and it has some ATG gems. Sure it lacks the energy of the first four and I prefer them very much over the BA infact KEA and AJFA are my fav albums by them, but their weak spots are definately very weak. The metal remark was, because a lot of people disregard it foe selling out, while it's still a better album than 99% of albums ever made.

I couldn't disagree more, I never understood why fans of a band criticize a band for sounding like themselves, lol. I want Maiden to sound like Maiden, not buy an album of theirs and then see them become a jazz improv band lol. Every great band that's been out a while sounds like themselves, RHCP, Tool, Megadeth etc. Maiden is no different. Sure they follow a formula but it's theirs and they can create different songs within that formula, if you will.

I love some of their post 80s albums as much as their peak 80s material. I might be in the minority of Maiden fans, I might not be, there were tons of young fans when I saw them live a few weeks ago, more than 65,000 strong, they're still doing something right.

:cheers:

I don't hate on them sounding the same over 4 decades. That's not the point of my critique. It's that they're, just like the Chili Peppers you mentioned, are unable to produce recognizably great songs over the last few albums. Just because they keep their sound doesn't mean anythink is great. It means Maiden is still enjoyable - I even applauded them for their longevity itt - but in the scope of their own highs, lows and averages they produced some average material for quite some time now.

In other words. Even on the peak Maiden albums they had some very forgetable songs that were quite average and that's about the level they keep putting out. Is it bad music? No, absolutely not. It's still better than most stuff that gets releaes in 2022, but it misses what makes their hymns special.

TheMan
10-25-2022, 10:32 AM
Nah man Maiden is top tier like I said. I just think I hear less power and energy coming from them in these last few albums, whereas Judas Priest have kicked it into another gear, but then again that could be a direct result of having Richie Faulkner in the lineup and that dude is our age. I have Senjutsu, but I really haven't given it time yet. Maybe I'm biased cause I got introduced to Maiden when Brave New World came out and then Dance of Death kind of blew my mind away. To this day, Paschendale is my favorite Maiden song of all time. Wasted Years comes in a close second.

Whoa, wut? Lol, you mean to tell me you were into glam/hair metal during it's heyday (late 80s) but only got into Maiden in 2000??? Maiden's peak was the 80s, you weren't into them during their Killers, Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son run of GOAT Metal albums? WTF? :oldlol:

Patrick Chewing
10-25-2022, 10:51 AM
Whoa, wut? Lol, you mean to tell me you were into glam/hair metal during it's heyday (late 80s) but only got into Maiden in 2000??? Maiden's peak was the 80s, you weren't into them during their Killers, Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son run of GOAT Metal albums? WTF? :oldlol:

I wasn't even born when Killers came out :lol. How old are you buddy? I started listening to Metal in the early to mid 90's, but it was a slow burn for me. Once Napster came around, I was able to discover everyone.

TheMan
10-25-2022, 01:03 PM
I wasn't even born when Killers came out :lol. How old are you buddy? I started listening to Metal in the early to mid 90's, but it was a slow burn for me. Once Napster came around, I was able to discover everyone.

I'm on the wrong side of 40 heading fast towards the half century mark :lol I was in grade school when I got into metal during the 80s thanks to a classmate who pumped Sabbath, Maiden and Priest on his beat box. I started playing in bands as a teen during the 90s.

SATAN
10-25-2022, 06:23 PM

fsvr54
10-25-2022, 07:31 PM
Pentagram is better than Sabbath. Lots of doom/stoner bands are.

RRR3
10-25-2022, 09:43 PM
Pentagram is better than Sabbath. Lots of doom/stoner bands are.
You just have stupid opinions about everything don’t you? Electric Wizard>>>Pentagram

Patrick Chewing
10-25-2022, 10:34 PM
Also, can we agree that Pantera was the best Metal band of the 90's?

SATAN
10-25-2022, 10:51 PM
No.

RRR3
10-25-2022, 11:10 PM
No. White Zombie was.

Overdrive
10-26-2022, 07:27 AM

One of the top bands for sure. Depending on the day I prefer others.

TheMan
10-26-2022, 07:58 AM
Best 90s metal bands...Tool, RATM, Pantera and SOAD.

RRR3
10-26-2022, 11:00 AM
Best 90s metal bands...Tool, RATM, Pantera and SOAD.
Tool is boring as shit. White Zombie mother****ers

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 11:39 AM

I rest my case that RRR3 is a poser.

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 11:55 AM
Another video for the posers who don't acknowledge Glam Metal as either being Metal or as actually being any good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ZLoGx1Rck

Of course, Salty Meatballs will never watch this cause the guy doesn't even listen to Metal. He just came into this thread to throw his two cents in a topic he doesn't know anything about. And RRR3 won't watch this video because he has created this persona for himself of listening to Black Metal to somehow appear "cool" to Metalheads. BTW chick in the video is smokin!

RRR3
10-26-2022, 11:55 AM
Shut up, fats, go listen to Great White. The real metalheads are talking here.

RRR3
10-26-2022, 11:56 AM
Another video for the posers who don't acknowledge Glam Metal as either being Metal or as actually being any good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ZLoGx1Rck

Of course, Salty Meatballs will never watch this cause the guy doesn't even listen to Metal. He just came into this thread to throw his two cents in a topic he doesn't know anything about. And RRR3 won't watch this video because he has created this persona for himself of listening to Black Metal to somehow appear "cool" to Metalheads.
Glam metal being bad is just my personal opinion. Glam metal not being legitimate metal is an opinion widely shared by metalheads everywhere though. You’d know this if you actually talked to metalheads but you don’t.

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 12:03 PM
One of the greatest Hair Metal songs just for RRR3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqUAYsynaP8

RRR3
10-26-2022, 12:06 PM
Listen to real music like Sepultura.

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 12:12 PM
Listen to real music like Sepultura.

I do listen to Sepultura. But I also listen to Hair Metal. I don't limit myself to certain genres just to appear edgy and cool.

You will never be edgy and cool.

RRR3
10-26-2022, 12:18 PM
I do listen to Sepultura. But I also listen to Hair Metal. I don't limit myself to certain genres just to appear edgy and cool.

You will never be edgy and cool.
If I wanted to be cool I wouldn’t listen to bands that are mostly listened to by people old enough to be my parents :oldlol:

I listen to what I like.

SaltyMeatballs
10-26-2022, 02:05 PM

Actually not bad

SaltyMeatballs
10-26-2022, 02:09 PM
Share some songs RRR3 and Patty. Trying to be open-minded about metal here

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 02:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKLuegPPxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-1bE01btOg

Overdrive
10-26-2022, 03:32 PM

Vio-Lence - Phobophobia
At The Gates - Blinded by Fear
Opeth - The Drapery Falls
Dream Theater - Pull Me Under
Demons and Wizards - Dorian
Dark Tranquility - Atoma
Death - Crystal Mountain
Iron Maiden - Alexander the Great
Exciter - Heavy Metal Maniac
Diamond Head - Am I Evil?

RRR3
10-26-2022, 03:37 PM
Just listen to Black Sabbath’s first six albums. That’s the key to getting into metal. From there you go to Metallica (first four albums), Megadeth, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Motörhead. Those are the most famous and mainstream metal bands, so they’re (relatively) accessible for people who aren’t metalheads. Depending on what you like most out of that I can fine tune my recommendations.

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 03:51 PM
There's nothing in this world I love more than shutting RRR3 up and proving him wrong.

Here is a clip of a young Metalhead wearing an Immortal shirt rating his top Metal albums that came out in 1991. But that's not the part of the video that will shut RRR3 up. Immortal is a Black Metal band that RRR3 listens to religiously. So we know the kid in the video is a "Metalhead". But whatta ya know...if you look at the background and see all the album covers behind him....there's one album cover that just stands out more than the others considering the direction in which this thread has headed. :oldlol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9UBOOdUUQ

Glam metal not being legitimate metal is an opinion widely shared by metalheads everywhere though. You’d know this if you actually talked to metalheads but you don’t.

MadDogg
10-26-2022, 03:55 PM
Was more into grunge and classical rock. Definitely listened to some metal though. Inflames, RATM, Metalica, Rob/White Zombie. Rob's younger brother was the lead singer in Powerman5000, another good band, but they're probably not considered metal.

RRR3
10-26-2022, 04:06 PM
I can’t get into Rob’s music post WZ. He needs to reunite with Sean and make some of that funky stuff again.

RRR3
10-26-2022, 04:08 PM
There's nothing in this world I love more than shutting RRR3 up and proving him wrong.

Here is a clip of a young Metalhead wearing an Immortal shirt rating his top Metal albums that came out in 1991. But that's not the part of the video that will shut RRR3 up. Immortal is a Black Metal band that RRR3 listens to religiously. So we know the kid in the video is a "Metalhead". But whatta ya know...if you look at the background and see all the album covers behind him....there's one album cover that just stands out more than the others considering the direction in which this thread has headed. :oldlol:

Are you seriously too stupid to realize there are exceptions to everything? Congrats on finding another nerd who considers hair metal legitimate metal, but you won’t find that opinion often.

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 04:10 PM
Are you seriously too stupid to realize there are exceptions to everything? Congrats on finding another nerd who considers hair metal legitimate metal, but you won’t find that opinion often.

You're the exception

RRR3
10-26-2022, 04:18 PM

You're the exception
Not really you’ve been told hair metal isn’t real metal by other people in this thread but you’re too much of a fatrick to realize it.

Overdrive
10-26-2022, 04:19 PM

I listen to a lot of metal. You'll find Marvin Gaye and Otis Redding records in my collection among others. Doesn't make them metal.

Btw did you watch the video? #8 is awesome if you never heard of them. German thrash has its gems, but alot of american metalheads don't know.

RRR3
10-26-2022, 04:25 PM
I listen to a lot of metal. You'll find Marvin Gaye and Otis Redding records in my collection among others. Doesn't make them metal.

Btw did you watch the video? #8 is awesome if you never heard of them. German thrash has its gems, but alot of american metalheads don't know.
Sodom and Kreator are both very good. Iirc Destruction are German as well?

Overdrive
10-26-2022, 04:38 PM
Sodom and Kreator are both very good. Iirc Destruction are German as well?

Yes, they are.

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 04:50 PM

I'll check them out. Did like the brief riff. It's the vocals I'll have to get used to. Just got into Demolition Hammer recently, but they're American.

TheMan
10-26-2022, 07:32 PM

Lord have mercy on your soul

TheMan
10-26-2022, 07:33 PM
Shut up, fats, go listen to Great White. The real metalheads are talking here.

TheMan
10-26-2022, 07:34 PM

You really do like that crap, don't you? I legit thought you were trolling :lol

SaltyMeatballs
10-26-2022, 07:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKLuegPPxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-1bE01btOg

I really like the guitar parts for both

Vio-Lence - Phobophobia
At The Gates - Blinded by Fear
Opeth - The Drapery Falls
Dream Theater - Pull Me Under
Demons and Wizards - Dorian
Dark Tranquility - Atoma
Death - Crystal Mountain
Iron Maiden - Alexander the Great
Exciter - Heavy Metal Maniac
Diamond Head - Am I Evil?

Just listen to Black Sabbath’s first six albums. That’s the key to getting into metal. From there you go to Metallica (first four albums), Megadeth, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Motörhead. Those are the most famous and mainstream metal bands, so they’re (relatively) accessible for people who aren’t metalheads. Depending on what you like most out of that I can fine tune my recommendations.

I'll check these out. I'm more familiar with Metallica's stuff but I haven't given their first albums a real thorough listen. I'll do that

Appreciate the recs :rockon:

TheMan
10-26-2022, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't ask Patty if I were you, might suggest Poison :lol

https://youtu.be/09rHDabBQfA

https://youtu.be/zUzd9KyIDrM

https://youtu.be/9d4ui9q7eDM

TheMan
10-26-2022, 07:51 PM
...and

https://youtu.be/i0G9nSAULIU

https://youtu.be/OEptxlP2Jrg

https://youtu.be/3L4YrGaR8E4

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 08:16 PM

You really do like that crap, don't you? I legit thought you were trolling :lol

Millions of Metalheads like it. You guys are in denial or something. It's great music.

TheMan
10-26-2022, 08:49 PM
Millions of Metalheads like it. You guys are in denial or something. It's great music.

Nah bro, RRR3 is right about something...metalheads hated glam/hair metal. James Hetfield used to rant about it back in the day, hell Metallica moved away from LA to SF to get away from what he called posers (hair metal bands), the LA glam metal scene. You seriously didn't know this? Lol

I'm not trying to be cool nor edgy, my taste in metal isn't THAT hard-core, can't stand black nor death metal but I really really do not like hair metal, there are some exceptions though, early Motley Crue, a few Dokken songs and some Skid Row. Other than that, hard pass.

SATAN
10-26-2022, 08:49 PM
It's fine to like or dislike whatever. There's usually SOMETHING you can appreciate in any music if you give it a chance. Much better keeping an open mind. It allows you to find more and more music rabbit holes to explore. It's sad seeing grown men arguing from their egos about something so subjective. A couple of my friends often listen to SOAD and it used to annoy the shit out of me but I realized I just don't understand the listeners experience they are getting. It's very simple and corny to me. The songs just don't speak to me and therefor aren't for me. And that's the point. It's not my music. It's not theirs either. I don't have to enjoy, dislike it or care that it exists. It's just people doing something irrelevant to what I like. It's fine. I don't understand why people don't get into heavier and heavier metal styles but it's whatever. :confusedshrug:

Half these old metal dudes listen to stuff you guys would probably laugh at.

TheMan
10-26-2022, 08:57 PM
Here it is

https://youtu.be/YxrcfRrNwnw

There's video footage of early 80s Hetfield calling out the posers (glam metal) and saying that Kill 'Em All refers ro killing all the posers. I'm surprised you didn't know this, Chew haha

But whatever bro, if you like it, who am I to rag on you but there definitely was a beef between "real" metalheads and "glam hair" metalheads.

SATAN
10-26-2022, 09:06 PM
Here it is

There's video footage of early 80s Hetfield calling out posers (glam metal) and saying that Kill 'Em All refers ro killing all the posers. I'm surprised you didn't know this, Chew haha

But whatever bro, if you like it, who am I to rag on you but there definitely was a beef between "real" metalheads and "glam hair" metalheads.

What did the metal community think when Metallica cut their hair and Kirk started wearing make up and painting his nails? What did they think of Metallica in that era?

The only people I knew who were listening to that weren't actually metal heads.

RRR3
10-26-2022, 09:10 PM

Lord have mercy on your soul
Yeah I know it’s not a popular opinion :lol

RRR3
10-26-2022, 09:12 PM
Nah bro, RRR3 is right about something...metalheads hated glam/hair metal. James Hetfield used to rant about it back in the day, hell Metallica moved away from LA to SF to get away from what he called posers (hair metal bands), the LA glam metal scene. You seriously didn't know this? Lol

I'm not trying to be cool nor edgy, my taste in metal isn't THAT hard-core, can't stand black nor death metal but I really really do not like hair metal, there are some exceptions though, early Motley Crue, a few Dokken songs and some Skid Row. Other than that, hard pass.
I’m shocked he doesn’t know this, he’s clearly never talked to a metalhead in his life :lol

Chewy the fat poser with his Faster Pussycat CDs :lol

RRR3
10-26-2022, 09:14 PM
What did the metal community think when Metallica cut their hair and Kirk started wearing make up and painting his nails? What did they think of Metallica in that era?

They sold out. Cliff would never have tolerated such chicanery but he was dead.

SATAN
10-26-2022, 09:17 PM
Cliff would never have tolerated such chicanery but he was dead.

I'm not convinced. It's not like he didn't enjoy a wide variety of other genres. He was the most musically open minded member of the group.

RRR3
10-26-2022, 09:31 PM
I'm not convinced. It's not like he didn't enjoy a wide variety of other genres. He was the most musically open minded member of the group.
Cliff left his band before Metallica because he thought they were getting too commercial lol

SATAN
10-26-2022, 09:37 PM
Metallica were like 40 years old when Load was released. I'm still unconvinced Cliff wouldn't have changed with them, although their approach probably wouldn't have been as shocking with him.

TheMan
10-26-2022, 09:40 PM

That's when I began disliking Metallica. I choose Megadeth over Metallica to this day...having said that, 80s Metallica is right up there with any metal band ever.

RRR3
10-26-2022, 09:42 PM
That's when I began disliking Metallica. I choose Megadeth over Metallica to this day...having said that, 80s Metallica is right up there with any metal band ever.
That’s when Fatrick started liking Metallica :lol

bison
10-26-2022, 10:05 PM
Listening to hair and glam metal gets you mad pu$$y

Patrick Chewing
10-26-2022, 10:32 PM
Listening to hair and glam metal gets you mad pu$$y

No wonder RRR3 hates it

Chick Stern
10-26-2022, 10:36 PM
Here it is

There's video footage of early 80s Hetfield calling out the posers (glam metal) and saying that Kill 'Em All refers ro killing all the posers. I'm surprised you didn't know this, Chew haha

The basic difference between “real” metal and “hair” metal is that a large percentage of “real” metal fans were anti-social incels, while a large percentage of “hair” metal fans were fratboy types chasing the hot skanks that liked the music.

Overdrive
10-27-2022, 12:19 AM

I discovered Metallica after the fact. I got into metal in the early 2000s and thus (Re)Load didn't have that impact they must've had on Metallica fans. But tbh the BA must've already been off putting for most.

I'll check these out. I'm more familiar with Metallica's stuff but I haven't given their first albums a real thorough listen. I'll do that

Appreciate the recs :rockon:

I think RRR3's would be the easier way to ease you into metal. Mine span some genres, if you can appreciate any of these there's most likely a subgenre you could like.

TheMan
10-27-2022, 12:26 AM
Metallica were like 40 years old when Load was released. I'm still unconvinced Cliff wouldn't have changed with them, although their approach probably wouldn't have been as shocking with him.

Nope, they were in their early 30s

Overdrive
10-27-2022, 02:51 AM
Nope, they were in their early 30s

Yeah, crazy to think they were just about 20 when they made KEA. And honestly I don't get being mad when a band changes its sound. Of course fans of the old sound will be dissatisfied, but from a musicians pov it's boring AF to always to the same.

Maybe if you're stuck in your influences. You always listen to the same artists you grew up with, you might get stuck in your own music. But I couldn't imagine being ACDC, doing the same shit for 50 years over and over. That comes from someone who loves ACDC. I think the real dealbreaker for Metallica was changing their style with the music. They could've made that americana and alternative influenced hard rock the did on Load and Reload and stuck with their style, but the change in looks was obviously an appeasement to the alternative rock crowd.

Also St.Anger was much worse. They were going on about how that album was a step back to the roots, while it was a real shitshow.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 10:48 AM

I knew you'd come around.

You see, guys like TheMan and others, when it comes down to it, they probably say they dislike Hair Metal simply cause of the spandex and the hairspray. But when you listen to the material, it's Metal. The riffs, the solos, the high-pitched vocals and screams. It's Metal. That Cinderella song I posted....that was hard as f*ck for any song in that era. But, because Hair Metal or Glam or whatever you want to call it sort of originated in that Los Angeles scene of the 80's, it's considered comical and cheesy cause of all the cheesy videos and the ridiculous outfits. But again....that was the scene at the time. In one of the videos I posted explaining the rise of Hair Metal, it explains that it also coincides with the creation of MTV. These bands had to look good in front of the camera. Sometimes it's as simple as that. And the problem with some of these guys like TheMan and RRR3 is that they've adopted this image of what Metal is supposed to be or supposed to look like, and it causes them to ignore the source material. The people criticizing Hair Metal are the same ones that worship Metal bands that wear masks or paint their faces. What's worse is you have TheMan posting a video of what Metallica thinks Hair Metal is and passing it off as some sort of Metal code, when it was the same Metallica that sold out, cut their hair, and forgot how to play Metal. St. Anger anyone?? And honestly, I think there's a reason Metallica rarely puts out albums anymore. I think they've been living high on their limited catalog for so long that these guys got fat and lazy and forgot how to write new material, while bands like Saxon, Accept, Overkill, Testament, and especially Megadeth continue to write and continue to carry Metal forward.

RRR3
10-27-2022, 11:01 AM
Gastrick, you’re never going to convince metalheads hair metal is legitimate metal. Give it up tubby.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 11:15 AM
Gastrick, you’re never going to convince metalheads hair metal is legitimate metal. Give it up tubby.

I don't have to convince them. True metalheads should already know it is.

TheMan
10-27-2022, 12:24 PM
I just hated the whole processed feel of hair metal. It's pop music but with distortion guitars, it's not real metal. Of course there are some catchy glam metal songs, that's why they're written, it just doesn't have the bite real metal does. When grunge came along, it killed glam metal, not real metal. That's why Pantera, Megadeth, AC/DC, GN'R, SOAD and other metal/hard rock bands thrived in the 90s. Decades later, real metal bands such Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Metallica still sell out concerts and White Lion and their ilk are playing at country fairs...

About Metallica, to me it was more their image change that bothered me more than the music itself. I'm not against a band wanting to explore new styles, but how Metallica did it looked like they wanted to look trendy, appeasing MTV. Part of what drew me to them was their f**k MTV attitude they had early on in their career, they totally sold out and James has admitted in interviews that he regrets being talked into that by Lars and Kirk. RRR3 has a point, Cliff would've been against changing so radically.

Overdrive
10-27-2022, 12:33 PM
I knew you'd come around.

You see, guys like TheMan and others, when it comes down to it, they probably say they dislike Hair Metal simply cause of the spandex and the hairspray. But when you listen to the material, it's Metal. The riffs, the solos, the high-pitched vocals and screams. It's Metal. That Cinderella song I posted....that was hard as f*ck for any song in that era. But, because Hair Metal or Glam or whatever you want to call it sort of originated in that Los Angeles scene of the 80's, it's considered comical and cheesy cause of all the cheesy videos and the ridiculous outfits. But again....that was the scene at the time. In one of the videos I posted explaining the rise of Hair Metal, it explains that it also coincides with the creation of MTV. These bands had to look good in front of the camera. Sometimes it's as simple as that. And the problem with some of these guys like TheMan and RRR3 is that they've adopted this image of what Metal is supposed to be or supposed to look like, and it causes them to ignore the source material. The people criticizing Hair Metal are the same ones that worship Metal bands that wear masks or paint their faces. What's worse is you have TheMan posting a video of what Metallica thinks Hair Metal is and passing it off as some sort of Metal code, when it was the same Metallica that sold out, cut their hair, and forgot how to play Metal. St. Anger anyone?? And honestly, I think there's a reason Metallica rarely puts out albums anymore. I think they've been living high on their limited catalog for so long that these guys got fat and lazy and forgot how to write new material, while bands like Saxon, Accept, Overkill, Testament, and especially Megadeth continue to write and continue to carry Metal forward.

I don't care about looks. I really dig Twister Sister, but I don't like the vocals of most other bands. Almost all of them kind of emulate the same timbre and style. They all try to sound like Vince Neil and I don't care about his vocals in particular. It's Not even about high pitch. Give them Brian Johnson, Dan McCafferty or hell even some high pitched pop rock singer like Roger Hodgson and they'd be two classes better for me.

Also I most often don't like over the top showboating for no reason.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 12:39 PM
I just hated the whole processed feel of hair metal. It's pop music but with distortion guitars, it's not real metal. Of course there are some catchy glam metal songs, that's why they're written, it just doesn't have the bite real metal does. When grunge came along, it killed glam metal, not real metal. That's why Pantera, Megadeth, SOAD and other metal bands thrived in the 90s. Decades later, real metal bands such Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Metallica still sell out concerts and White Lion and their ilk are playing at country fairs...

About Metallica, to me it was more their image change that bothered me more than the music itself. I'm not against a band wanting to explore new styles, but how Metallica did it looked like they wanted to look trendy, appeasing MTV. Part of what drew me to them was their f**k MTV attitude they had early on in their career, they totally sold out and James has admitted in interviews that he regrets being talked into that by Lars and Kirk. RRR3 has a point, Cliff would've been against changing so radically.

It is rather strange that a lot of those hair bands weren't able to adapt. Some did, but a lot of them disbanded to form other bands or either dropped off the face of the Earth all together. And it's funny, cause you still had some Hair Metal bands come out with albums even as late as 1994 (Cinderella's Still Climbing), but by that time, Pantera was dominating the American Metal scene, and Grunge was on MTV 24/7. So it kind of all happened in one fell swoop. They didn't adapt, and MTV left them high and dry for the new flavor of the week which was Grunge. Traditional Metal bands just got heavier and continued on, but then eventually became underground and not mainstream anymore as Alternative, Nu-Metal, and POP Rock began to dominate the airwaves.

RRR3
10-27-2022, 01:18 PM
Just imagine that fat tub of goo showing up at a metal show with his ****ing Ratt shirt :lol. Dude would get laughed out of the venue.

Overdrive
10-27-2022, 01:39 PM
It is rather strange that a lot of those hair bands weren't able to adapt. Some did, but a lot of them disbanded to form other bands or either dropped off the face of the Earth all together. And it's funny, cause you still had some Hair Metal bands come out with albums even as late as 1994 (Cinderella's Still Climbing), but by that time, Pantera was dominating the American Metal scene, and Grunge was on MTV 24/7. So it kind of all happened in one fell swoop. They didn't adapt, and MTV left them high and dry for the new flavor of the week which was Grunge. Traditional Metal bands just got heavier and continued on, but then eventually became underground and not mainstream anymore as Alternative, Nu-Metal, and POP Rock began to dominate the airwaves.

Ah I got now wherein your mistake lies. Hair metal was a pop phenonemon. They never dominanted the "metal scene". They we're a parallel scene with a metal moniker, while basically being poppy hardrock. Just like AOR was called rock while alot if its bands barely made rockmusic.

You're arguing over semantics anyway. You like it. The others don't. I'm indifferent. Some bands have their moments. Like Dr. Feelgood is a really decent album.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 01:40 PM
Just imagine that fat tub of goo showing up at a metal show with his ****ing Ratt shirt :lol. Dude would get laughed out of the venue.

You're a ****ing poser dude. You will see more people wearing RATT merchandise than that Black Metal shite you listen to.

You have a stupid mindset of hate. The Metal community doesn't want haters like you. We are a community because this music is ours, and what do you do? You turn on your own community trying to compare dick size with your love for extreme metal versus the other genres. No Black Metal band is filling up an arena that's for damn sure.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 01:47 PM
Ah I got now wherein your mistake lies. Hair metal was a pop phenonemon. They never dominanted the "metal scene". They we're a parallel scene with a metal moniker, while basically being poppy hardrock. Just like AOR was called rock while alot if its bands barely made rockmusic.

You're arguing over semantics anyway. You like it. The others don't. I'm indifferent. Some bands have their moments. Like Dr. Feelgood is a really decent album.

No mistake to say that Hair Metal was more popular in the 90's than any other sub-genre of Heavy Metal. Just look at the record sales and the MTV coverage. Only thing I'd appreciate from you guys is to acknowledge it as a sub-genre of Metal cause that's what the general consensus is out there. Disliking the music in general is one thing, but to not classify it as Metal because you don't like it is something else. Black and Death Metal is complete trash to me, but I still acknowledge it as Metal. You've been the only other objective person here on the topic.

Overdrive
10-27-2022, 01:59 PM
You're a ****ing poser dude. You will see more people wearing RATT merchandise than that Black Metal shite you listen to.

You have a stupid mindset of hate. The Metal community doesn't want haters like you. We are a community because this music is ours, and what do you do? You turn on your own community trying to compare dick size with your love for extreme metal versus the other genres. No Black Metal band is filling up an arena that's for damn sure.

Being obscure, not selling even your records etc is a point most bm bands put an emphasis on. I tbh don't like most bm. Not my cup of tea.

No mistake to say that Hair Metal was more popular in the 90's than any other sub-genre of Heavy Metal. Just look at the record sales and the MTV coverage. Only thing I'd appreciate from you guys is to acknowledge it as a sub-genre of Metal cause that's what the general consensus is out there. Disliking the music in general is one thing, but to not classify it as Metal because you don't like it is something else. Black and Death Metal is complete trash to me, but I still acknowledge it as Metal. You've been the only other objective person here on the topic.

To be honest I wasn't around when hair was big. I only have 2nd hand stories to offer and they're not positive at all. Most metalheads of my age never accepted it, but that's something that happened after the fact. Like 20 year olds calling Metallica sell out.

Another question: How come you like thrash but not death? If you listen to Kill Em All it's just a little step to Hell Awaits, from there you go to Death's Scream Bloody Gore, spin some of Entombed's Clandestine and then a whole new genre waits for you. I have a hard time listening to sludgy slow brutal death, but the stuff that still has some thrash to it like prime Vader for example is great.

RRR3
10-27-2022, 02:16 PM

The fact that I told you I like a couple of black metal bands has led to you labeling me a massive black metal fan :lol

Doom metal is my preferred metal subgenre hands down I am listening to it at this very moment in fact. Me saying there are good black metal bands doesn’t mean I’m obsessed with it, it’s just acknowledging good stuff. You seriously think Bathory weren’t good? **** outta here fatty.

RRR3
10-27-2022, 02:17 PM
Being obscure, not selling even your records etc is a point most bm bands put an emphasis on. I tbh don't like most bm. Not my cup of tea.

To be honest I wasn't around when hair was big. I only have 2nd hand stories to offer and they're not positive at all. Most metalheads of my age never accepted it, but that's something that happened after the fact. Like 20 year olds calling Metallica sell out.

Another question: How come you like thrash but not death? If you listen to Kill Em All it's just a little step to Hell Awaits, from there you go to Death's Scream Bloody Gore, spin some of Entombed's Clandestine and then a whole new genre waits for you. I have a hard time listening to sludgy slow brutal death, but the stuff that still has some thrash to it like prime Vader for example is great.
Metalheads have never accepted hair metal in my experience either, I truly am baffled by his insistence on this despite everyone else telling him otherwise. But he wouldn’t be chewy if he wasn’t an idiot.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 02:26 PM

I have some Death Metal albums in my library, so there are a few DM bands I like, but as is the case with most people that don't like it, it's the vocals that ruin it for me. I have always been attracted to high-pitched vocals with lots of harmony. Some of my favorite Metal singers include Dio, Russell Allen, Geoff Tate, Rob Halford, Matt Barlow, Hansi Kursch, Roy Khan, etc.

If some DM pops up on my Playlist, it's most likely Bolt Thrower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wRTxBhqNuY

Thrash, Groove, Melody, but awful growling vocals.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 02:31 PM
Metalheads have never accepted hair metal in my experience either, I truly am baffled by his insistence on this despite everyone else telling him otherwise. But he wouldn’t be chewy if he wasn’t an idiot.

You are no metalhead. You are Poser extraordinaire.

RRR3
10-27-2022, 02:48 PM
I’m a fat virgin who listens to Ratt and thinks they’re metal.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 02:55 PM

Cringe. Weird how you result to third grade shit when faced with adversity. You know what you could do on the other hand? Just don't engage with me.

But you like the pain. Cause existence is pain. :lol

RRR3
10-27-2022, 02:57 PM
You throwing tantrums after getting exposed about being ignorant of metal isn’t adversity. Time for another meltdown!

Overdrive
10-27-2022, 03:03 PM
I have some Death Metal albums in my library, so there are a few DM bands I like, but as is the case with most people that don't like it, it's the vocals that ruin it for me. I have always been attracted to high-pitched vocals with lots of harmony. Some of my favorite Metal singers include Dio, Russell Allen, Geoff Tate, Rob Halford, Matt Barlow, Hansi Kursch, Roy Khan, etc.

If some DM pops up on my Playlist, it's most likely Bolt Thrower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wRTxBhqNuY

Thrash, Groove, Melody, but awful growling vocals.

Bolt Thrower is awesome and pretty harmless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvOeW9rCODU

That's the stuff that's hard to listen to.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 03:04 PM
You throwing tantrums after getting exposed about being ignorant of metal isn’t adversity. Time for another meltdown!

The only one throwing a tantrum here is you. You first criticized the lyrics to the OP cause you're just a negative person in general, and then you attacked me when I replied to the thread. It's all you do. You log on to ISH the moment you wake up and you just go ranting and raving like a pathetic lunatic cause you have nothing better to do in your pathetic, unemployed, poser, virgin life.

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 03:06 PM

Oof. And the people out there trying to justify this as music. Brutal.

Lakers Legend#32
10-27-2022, 03:12 PM
Chewing wears a Winger t-shirt (size XXXL)

TheMan
10-27-2022, 03:14 PM

https://youtu.be/5UOqr5nA1oY
Whoa, I just might be a hair metal fan after all...:facepalm :lol

Just from that list, I dig Whitesnake, Def Lep, Skid Row, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and Motley Crue...but what I noticed is that I started digging these bands when I was still in grade school, as I got older I started to move away from that genre, never got into Cinderella, Great White, White Lion, Poison, Warrant, Mr Big etc By the late 80s I was firmly a classic Heavy Metal fan, I also liked some thrash/speed Metal.

RRR3
10-27-2022, 03:18 PM
Chewing wears a Winger t-shirt (size XXXL)
:roll: :roll: :roll:

TheMan
10-27-2022, 03:18 PM

That's just garbage

RRR3
10-27-2022, 03:19 PM
Whoa, I just might be a hair metal fan after all...:facepalm :lol

Just from that list, I dig Whitesnake, Def Lep, Skid Row, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and Motley Crue...but what I noticed is that I started digging these bands when I was still in grade school, as I got older I started to move away from that genre, never got into Cinderella, Great White, White Lion, Poison, Warrant, Mr Big etc By the late 80s I was firmly a classic Heavy Metal fan, I also liked some thrash/speed Metal.
It’s fine to like it people can like whatever they want. It’s just not considered metal, this is a common opinion. Shocked chewy didn’t know but maybe I shouldn’t be as he’s quite dim

RRR3
10-27-2022, 03:20 PM
That's just garbage
The music is badass actually the Cookie Monster vocals are definitely something you have to get used to though

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 03:24 PM
It’s fine to like it people can like whatever they want. It’s just not considered metal, this is a common opinion. Shocked chewy didn’t know but maybe I shouldn’t be as he’s quite dim

A common opinion by whom? You only speak for yourself, clown.

RRR3
10-27-2022, 03:25 PM
A common opinion by whom? You only speak for yourself, clown.
Literally everyone else in this thread has told you hair metal isn’t metal. You’re just arguing to argue.

Overdrive
10-27-2022, 03:29 PM

I have no problem justifying that as music, I have no problem listening to it, but I wouldn't seek it out for enjoyment.

I think early progressive death like Death, Atheist and the likes is way more unsettling to listen to.

Whoa, I just might be a hair metal fan after all...:facepalm:lol

Just from that list, I dig Whitesnake, Def Lep, Skid Row, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and Motley Crue...but what I noticed is that I started digging these bands when I was still in grade school, as I got older I started to move away from that genre, never got into Cinderella, Great White, White Lion, Poison, Warrant, Mr Big etc

I sure like some of these bands. Whitesnake is hit or miss, when they hit it's great music, but for me they're the least metal of the bunch together with Bon Jovi. Whitesnake is more of a late 70s early 80s look at what Led Zeppelin did with a revamped sound.

Chewy, if you watch that vid, do you really think the music has a lot in common with other metal genres aside from some modulated solos here and there? I won't deny it's within the metal realm by definition, but I don't think it shares alot of common traits with any other metal genre and also doesn't source from the metal bands before them.

MadDogg
10-27-2022, 03:32 PM
That's just garbage

Not into that either. The heaviest metal I got into was probably In Flames. In their prime, they were incredible.

https://youtu.be/Ob4rBfJOqhs

https://youtu.be/mn0ZKB4byaE

Absolute headbangers.

RRR3
10-27-2022, 03:43 PM
In Flames were good man I haven’t listened to them in forever tho

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 03:44 PM
Chewy, if you watch that vid, do you really think the music has a lot in common with other metal genres aside from some modulated solos here and there? I won't deny it's within the metal realm by definition, but I don't think it shares alot of common traits with any other metal genre and also doesn't source from the metal bands before them.

I would exclude bands like Bon Jovi and Poison from the genre. Bon Jovi has some great hits, but it's just Rock to me. And Poison will be the first to admit their shit was pure cheese. Poison is like Party Rock. But when it comes to the rest of them, I always go back to Judas Priest's Turbo album for comparison. If that wasn't a Judas Priest record, you could assume it was recorded by a Glam band. So if Judas Priest was still a Metal band in 1986 when Turbo came out, then so were these Glam bands too. And I love Turbo. I think it's a great record. But it sounds like Hair Metal when you analyze it.

RRR3
10-27-2022, 03:48 PM
I have no problem justifying that as music, I have no problem listening to it, but I wouldn't seek it out for enjoyment.

I think early progressive death like Death, Atheist and the likes is way more unsettling to listen to.

I sure like some of these bands. Whitesnake is hit or miss, when they hit it's great music, but for me they're the least metal of the bunch together with Bon Jovi. Whitesnake is more of a late 70s early 80s look at what Led Zeppelin did with a revamped sound.

It’s hard rock like you said. Chewy just is incapable of admitting when he’s wrong.

Overdrive
10-27-2022, 03:51 PM
That's just garbage

Nah, it's not garbage. I appreciate what it takes to make that music. Just doesn't bring me any enjoyment, but I would never call it garbage. I don't talk in absolutes when it comes to negative opinions of mine about music, because it's just an opinion and everybody loves different styles.

That's why you won't find me hate on hair, bm or this kind of dm. Who cares, anything has its right to exist.

Overdrive
10-27-2022, 03:58 PM
I would exclude bands like Bon Jovi and Poison from the genre. Bon Jovi has some great hits, but it's just Rock to me. And Poison will be the first to admit their shit was pure cheese. Poison is like Party Rock. But when it comes to the rest of them, I always go back to Judas Priest's Turbo album for comparison. If that wasn't a Judas Priest record, you could assume it was recorded by a Glam band. So if Judas Priest was still a Metal band in 1986 when Turbo came out, then so were these Glam bands too. And I love Turbo. I think it's a great record. But it sounds like Hair Metal when you analyze it.

Most Priest fans hate on Turbo just like Metallica fans hate on Load. They got scrutinized for it at the time and people still do. I read some contemporary snippets on it and people/critics were shocked. Not an good example to make your case.

I, personally like it, though.

MadDogg
10-27-2022, 04:05 PM
In Flames were good man I haven’t listened to them in forever tho

Same. This thread took me down memory lane. When I was in my 20s, going from grunge to In Flames and Metalica was a nice change of pace. Especially for workouts. Still got a few metal tracks on my playlist haha

Patrick Chewing
10-27-2022, 04:11 PM
Most Priest fans hate on Turbo just like Metallica fans hate on Load. They got scrutinized for it at the time and people still do. I read some contemporary snippets on it and people/critics were shocked. Not an good example to make your case.

I think this thread is 7 pages too long just from simple overanalyzing and strong personal beliefs. At this rate, we might as well start to question what makes Metal, Metal? But now we're trying to decipher the intricacies of the music to see if it fits into a category of Metal and that will always be subjective as you and others have pointed out. I mean, I didn't create the term "Hair Metal" within the last couple of days. That term has been around since forever https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_metal. To get into what makes that era sound like other Metal bands at the time or Metal bands of today is futile. That was an era of the Metal genre that faded as quickly as it rose. Sure, you have newer bands today that emulate that sound like Steel Panther and maybe early Fozzy, but that is a genre that will never come back. Metal has evolved. Old-school thrash is old-school thrash.

SATAN
10-27-2022, 08:01 PM

You are a poseur.

TheMan
10-27-2022, 11:57 PM

Yeah, I love Priest but Turbo blows...I do like Turbo Lover but that's about it.

Patrick Chewing
10-28-2022, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I love Priest but Turbo blows...I do like Turbo Lover but that's about it.

Nonsense.

https://youtu.be/R6QaXKiCz4I

:rockon:

Jasper
10-30-2022, 10:58 AM
I was in a band called Head East