PDA

View Full Version : Luka Doncic may play similar to LeBron but he ain’t that guy

GrayGoat
10-20-2022, 12:42 AM
No one can win playing like LeBron (carrying the ultimate load by being Pippen and MJ rolled into one) However people have successfully copied MJ and won.

hold this L
10-20-2022, 12:45 AM
I feel like Luka plays more like Harden than Bron tbh. I don't understand how it's even possible to have the worst +/- on the team while having a very efficient night. I think he had to close to 20 by half.

TheGoatest
10-20-2022, 12:55 AM
Not a big deal. Luka will only join every other player in history in the "not as good as LeBron" category.

FultzNationRISE
10-20-2022, 01:20 AM
Not a big deal. Luka will only join every other player in history in the "not as good as LeBron" category.

Pretty much.

What sets Lebron apart is how lethal he is in every situation: Half court OR transition, AND on defense. Every single situation. His combination of size/athleticism/awareness gives him the kind of all-encompassing influence over a game no other single player has a chance to achieve.

Im actually not kidding.

Spurs m8
10-20-2022, 04:01 AM
Luke will get the accolades without the collusion, team hopping and endless failures.

He is no LeBarry

90sgoat
10-20-2022, 04:11 AM
Lebron was once a good defender so that's true.

Luka is still fat.

warriorfan
10-20-2022, 05:24 AM
op’s team got dingo’d

Spurs m8
10-20-2022, 06:55 AM
op’s team got dingo’d

Every day op opens his eyes he gets dingo'd...poor little cvnt can't handle it

Johnny32
10-20-2022, 08:33 AM
No one can win playing like LeBron (carrying the ultimate load by being Pippen and MJ rolled into one) However people have successfully copied MJ and won.

all true. i think luka can carry the offensive role, scoring and playmaking on a championship team. he'll never be the 1-5 dpoy caliber defender legoat was on the other side though.

Phoenix
10-20-2022, 09:14 AM
I feel like Luka plays more like Harden than Bron tbh. I don't understand how it's even possible to have the worst +/- on the team while having a very efficient night. I think he had to close to 20 by half.

Mostly yeah, difference being he doesn't fall off a cliff in the playoffs.

hold this L
10-20-2022, 09:49 AM
Mostly yeah, difference being he doesn't fall off a cliff in the playoffs.
Harden with the clutch gene*

ImKobe
10-20-2022, 10:04 AM

Christian Wood went off with like 16 straight pts when Luka sat so that skews the numbers as the PHX starters + Damion Lee & Cam Payne destroyed the Mavs' starters in the 2nd half. Chris Paul was so horrible that Monty had to bench him in order to win the game.

Full Court
10-20-2022, 05:55 PM

He played exactly like Lebron last night.

Scored 35 points.

Lost.

90sgoat
10-20-2022, 07:15 PM
Also, consider if instead of Christian Wood that Luka had Pascal Siakam and instead of Spencer Dinwiddie he had LaMelo Ball and lets be real, he's winning it then.

Lebron has had some stacked teams and Luka would win with those teams as well.

3ba11
10-21-2022, 11:36 AM
Let Luka team up with Kawhi and Karl Anthony Towns (Wade/Bosh)

Then I bet he makes a bunch of Finals and fools you guys into overrating him

Fortunately, we'll get to see how good Luka really is because he probably won't collude like that

LeGoat4Life
10-21-2022, 11:52 AM
No Jones No Chip

No AD No playoff

DMAVS41
10-21-2022, 12:31 PM
I know players have to prove shit...they have to do legendary things in the most important playoff games...I get that...and I'm actually all for it...

However, can we please stop holding pretty much everyone to unrealistic expectations?

Luka isn't perfect, of course, but he's averaging 33/9/8...58% TS in the playoffs for his career while his teams have exceeded expectations to date.

Can he at least play with legit title contending help before we crucify him for not being as good as Lebron or Bird or whomever the comp is?

WhiteKyrie
10-21-2022, 12:35 PM

He does. Very similar. People are two dimensional and race obsessed and only compare him to other white players, he plays like a bigger, smarter, caucasian James Harden.

A bigger white James harden who actually produces and performs better when the pressure is higher, like the playoffs. In just a small amount of time in this league, Luka is already one of the all-time greats in terms of playoff performance.

James Harden has never come close to that, and made his name as being a perennial loser and under performer in those situations.

tontoz
10-21-2022, 01:17 PM
Yeah Luka has been a beast in the playoffs. I would like to see him shoot fewer 3s and take his conditioning more seriously but he is one of the best players for his age i've ever seen.

FultzNationRISE
10-21-2022, 01:37 PM
He does. Very similar. People are two dimensional and race obsessed and only compare him to other white players, he plays like a bigger, smarter, caucasian James Harden.

A bigger white James harden who actually produces and performs better when the pressure is higher, like the playoffs. In just a small amount of time in this league, Luka is already one of the all-time greats in terms of playoff performance.

James Harden has never come close to that, and made his name as being a perennial loser and under performer in those situations.

A lot of that is true, and certainly a taller, more fiery and competitive Harden is a VERY good player.

But I think that point is simply that… it’s still not Lebron ;)

WhiteKyrie
10-21-2022, 02:12 PM
A lot of that is true, and certainly a taller, more fiery and competitive Harden is a VERY good player.

But I think that point is simply that… it’s still not Lebron ;)

Of course not. Why hold him to unrealistic expectations of being the second best basketball player to ever grace god’s green earth?

Harden is no more athletic than Luka, besides quickness, and he’s as black as Kimbo Slice. So I don’t get why the comparison isn’t made more frequently?

He’s a white, right handed, bigger, more fiery competitor version of James Harden. And he’s already better than Harden.

imdaman99
10-21-2022, 05:14 PM
He's a great player but not a great team player

tontoz
10-21-2022, 05:22 PM
He's a great player but not a great team player

If that's true then how did they make the WCF last season?

Axe
10-21-2022, 06:54 PM
Because cp3 and the suns choked so hard in game 7 last time, uncle. Duh...

tontoz
10-21-2022, 07:06 PM

Luka averaged 33/10/7 for the series with 2 steals. They won by a combined 60 points in the last two games. That is a beat down.

3ba11
10-21-2022, 07:32 PM

Luka will overcome just like Lebron overcame three 2nd Round losses with high seeds (06', 08', 10'), a sweep loss (07'), and losses as the favorite 09', 10', 11'), and horrific performance (11', 07', 08', 10')

Lebron overcame his losing brand by taking a talent-based approach (super-team), so let's allow Luka to team up with Kawhi and Karl Anthony Towns (Wade/Bosh)

Then I bet he makes a bunch of Finals and fools everyone into overrating him

Fortunately, we'll get to see how good Luka really is because he probably won't collude like that

Axe
10-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Luka averaged 33/10/7 for the series with 2 steals. They won by a combined 60 points in the last two games. That is a beat down.
Sure thing uncle. But his team was still no match for chef's bonafide all-star help during the 2022 wcf.

Axe
10-21-2022, 07:51 PM
Luka will overcome just like Lebron overcame three 2nd Round losses with high seeds (06', 08', 10'), a sweep loss (07'), and losses as the favorite 09', 10', 11'), and horrific performance (11', 07', 08', 10')

Lebron overcame his losing brand by taking a talent-based approach (super-team), so let's allow Luka to team up with Kawhi and Karl Anthony Towns (Wade/Bosh)

Then I bet he makes a bunch of Finals and fools everyone into overrating him

Baloney...

Oubre > klay

tontoz
10-21-2022, 08:03 PM
Sure thing uncle. But his team was still no match for chef's bonafide all-star help during the 2022 wcf.

Who was Dallas's second best player? Dinwiddie? Brunson?

Clearly Dallas was less talented than the Suns and the warriors.

FultzNationRISE
10-21-2022, 08:07 PM

Well because theyre a good team and Luka’s a great player, it means they can pull off wins even if Luka isnt moving the ball as much as he should.

I remember during those 08-10 Laker runs, Kobe was doing his own thing on offense and the team was winning, but the general consensus among commentators at the time (Magic, Barkley, Legler etc) they were all saying “If the Lakers just play thru their bigs more it’d be even easier for them.”

The Mavs played well when Luka was out to start the Jazz series last year, and the bench played pretty well (C Wood specifically) when Luka was off the court last night. So it’s not simply Doncic carrying. Their roster is better in practice than it looks on paper.

Of course hes a great player and extremely valuable. But he could arguably make an even bigger impact on the court by taking a slight step back in stats, if he’d push the pace a bit more often and let his teammates play their game, which is generally up-tempo transition momentum kinda stuff. It’s just like Kobe not throwing the ball into Pau and Bynum as much as he probably should have. Obviously the team was so talent led they were able to win anyway, but the Mavs dont have quite that margin of error. Doncic will probably have to sacrifice/adjust a bit if they really wanna have a chance to win a title.

tontoz
10-21-2022, 08:52 PM
Kobe is a bad comparison. He took more bad perimeter shots than anyone I've ever seen.

Luka takes too many 3, especially those step backs, but other than that his shot selection isn't bad. Pushing the pace isn't his thing due to his lack of speed

There was nobody on their roster in last year's playoffs that was close to All Star caliber, and one of their best players didn't play at all (Hardaway).

Dallas led the league in offensive efficiency a few years ago mainly because of Luka

3ba11
11-03-2022, 04:15 PM

In the history of 3-pointer basketball, nobody is anywhere near 6 titles as the best player

because no one can defeat maximum defensive attention (carry scoring load) anywhere near the way MJ could

Btw, Jordan averaged 36/7/8 for the 91-93' Finals, so that's more all-round than Lebron ever was because Jordan gave you the assists WHILE carrying the scoring load.

Lebron can't carry the scoring load in the Finals so he needs more help... Specifically, ball-dominators lack sufficient brand of ball to successfully carry the scoring load against top teams (too ball-dominant), so they need all-time scoring help like Kareem, Wade or AD.. Otoh, expert jumpshooters like Curry or MJ can maintain brand of ball at carry-job volume (score while the ball moves), so they can carry the scoring load against top teams and win with secondary producers like Wiggins or Pippen.

GrayGoat
11-03-2022, 04:18 PM
In the history of 3-pointer basketball, nobody is anywhere near 6 titles as the best player

because no one can defeat maximum defensive attention (carry scoring load in Finals) anywhere nearly as well as MJ

Btw, Jordan averaged 36/7/8 for the 91-93' Finals, so that's more all-round than Lebron ever was because Jordan gave you the assists WHILE carrying the scoring load.

Lebron can't carry the scoring load in the Finals so he needs more help... Specifically, ball-dominators lack sufficient brand of ball to successfully carry the scoring load against top teams (too ball-dominant), so they need all-time scoring help like Kareem, Wade or AD.. Otoh, expert jumpshooters like Curry or MJ can maintain brand of ball at carry-job volume (score while the ball moves), so they can carry the scoring load in the Finals and win with secondary producers like Wiggins or Pippen.

Luka made it to conference finals without a Pippen-level sidekick. Luka’s post game is far more advanced than MJ’s and he currently scores more points in the post than Embiid (leagues best center)

3ba11
11-03-2022, 04:25 PM
Luka made it to conference finals without a Pippen-level sidekick. Luka’s post game is far more advanced than MJ’s and he currently scores more points in the post than Embiid (leagues best center)

Jordan led the NBA in post points for the 96-98' seasons - he dominated the post more than Luka could ever dream by winning 3 titles almost exclusively from the post and 6 in a post offense that he was the center of

Btw, Jordan made the 89' ECF with nothing, while Luka did nothing with several Pippen's like Porzingas, Brunson and now Wood

warriorfan
11-03-2022, 04:31 PM
Let Luka team up with Kawhi and Karl Anthony Towns (Wade/Bosh)

Then I bet he makes a bunch of Finals and fools you guys into overrating him

boom.