PDA

View Full Version : Luka's post game this season is off the charts good

90sgoat
10-28-2022, 04:23 PM
Ranked as the 4th most points on post ups, only behind Zion, Embiid, Jokic.

Ranked 4th on PPP (points per postup) behind Woods, Jokic, Vucevic.

Ranked 7th in field goal percentage pr. postup.

This is obvious when watching him play. Luka is completely obliterating guard coverage this season in the post.

Also shoots 86% from the FT line this season.

Except for being a ball hog and taking bad 3s, Luka is pretty much a complete offensive player now, only needs a midrange shot.

Source: https://www.nba.com/stats/players/playtype-post-up

@3ball @elonmusk

tontoz
10-28-2022, 04:29 PM
Hasn't he been a beast in the post for a few years now?

90sgoat
10-28-2022, 04:41 PM
Hasn't he been a beast in the post for a few years now?

Nope, he improved a lot in last season, but he was not in top 20 in points and not in top 50 in PPP.

This is a huge improvement, but we'll see if he can keep it going. He's basically playing inside-out to start the season.

Incidentally, this has been my pet peeve criticism of Lebron since forever. Lebron could have been truly dominant if he had played inside-out and forcing a big guy to cover him, then taking them off the dribble. Instead he went to play as a guard and didn't force the same defensive mismatches.

I think Luka might change the game, because if a big skilled guard begins playing inside-out and dominating, then with the def-3 seconds, it's basically unstoppable. Just play afcter play of Luka abusing guards for open layups.

The only thing we need for Luka is to get the ball down low, not dribble it there.

FultzNationRISE
10-28-2022, 04:58 PM
Nope, he improved a lot in last season, but he was not in top 20 in points and not in top 50 in PPP.

This is a huge improvement, but we'll see if he can keep it going. He's basically playing inside-out to start the season.

Incidentally, this has been my pet peeve criticism of Lebron since forever. Lebron could have been truly dominant if he had played inside-out and forcing a big guy to cover him, then taking them off the dribble. Instead he went to play as a guard and didn't force the same defensive mismatches.

I think Luka might change the game, because if a big skilled guard begins playing inside-out and dominating, then with the def-3 seconds, it's basically unstoppable. Just play afcter play of Luka abusing guards for open layups.

The only thing we need for Luka is to get the ball down low, not dribble it there.

Yeah altho thats how he gets the switches and mismatches right? Otherwise you can just put your best defender on him every time and he wont be as efficient.

The only thing Id like to see him do more of is push the pace when the team has momentum. I think his methodical approach sometimes takes the energy out of teammates when theyre on a roll with the fast break and wanna keep playing in rhythm. Ironically I think he needs to play a bit more like his coach did and push the tempo more even if it means giving the ball up earlier in the possession.

90sgoat
10-28-2022, 05:27 PM
Yeah altho thats how he gets the switches and mismatches right? Otherwise you can just put your best defender on him every time and he wont be as efficient.

The only thing Id like to see him do more of is push the pace when the team has momentum. I think his methodical approach sometimes takes the energy out of teammates when theyre on a roll with the fast break and wanna keep playing in rhythm. Ironically I think he needs to play a bit more like his coach did and push the tempo more even if it means giving the ball up earlier in the possession.

Good point, but he could a quick screen and switch, then pass to Dinwiddie or THJ, then get in position and call for the ball back.

Then someone like Dinwiddie or THJ could pass or decide to shoot if the defense shades off the ball to contain Luka.

I also agree with the pacing, but that has to be a conditioning thing, which I would think is more the reason to play more off ball.

Then again, Luka probably doesn't care enough about these things to make such a huge change in his playing style, but he could if he wanted.