PDA

View Full Version : So the nba wants a really high hard cap in the next cba to replace the luxury tax.

Kblaze8855
10-28-2022, 09:11 PM
Basically their way of stopping the warriors from deciding they are ok with 360 million tax/salary combined to win.

I don’t know where they’d set it but it would have to be damn high for the players union to allow it.

Right now teams like the warriors can just decide they are cool spending whatever and other owners hate how it makes them look breaking up teams for tax purposes.

Easier to say 180-200 max with no wiggle room than to talk billionaires into doing what it takes to win.

Spurs m8
10-28-2022, 09:35 PM
Fvck yes.

Want a hard cap really badly, always have

FultzNationRISE
10-28-2022, 10:11 PM
Fvck yes.

Want a hard cack really badly, always have

:crazysam:

Kblaze8855
10-28-2022, 10:16 PM
The Way it’s been worded it’s clear they mean it as a system of replacing the luxury tax and not something that would affect the regular salary cap. The players will still get the cut agreed to but it would have to be doled out differently.

if the salary cap is 160 they could probably just make the hard cap 200 or so. It will only stop teams like the warriors from using bird rights to exceed the salary cap endlessly. If they raise the regular salary cap to the desired hard cap it will be chaos. Luka will make $130 million in a season. He’s already likely to make 80 eventually but it would be way out of hand.

This system would just replace the tax that doesn’t serve as enough of a deterrent for some teams. It would just stop them having the option of paying if they feel like it.

I think it would only force teams to let their own guys walk because you can only get that high using bird rights to begin with. Kinda sucks really.

If you draft well enough they would just force you to give away your stars.

Kblaze8855
10-29-2022, 12:41 PM
Mark Stein is saying this is the only thing that can cause a lockout. Players refusing to even consider it. Owners are gonna cause a lockout when they don’t even mind salaries. The league is gonna lock out so the cheap owners can stop homegrown stars from signing back to their teams.

Real Men Wear Green
10-29-2022, 02:19 PM
Fvck yes.

Want a hard cap really badly, always have

Why? I understand why a cheap owner wants this. But why would a fan want this? From my perspective let's say every promising Celtic hits close to the upper limit of his potential. Tell me why as a fan I should be happy that in five years the Celtics celebrate their 4th consecutive championship by finally choosing between Tatum and Brown?

theman93
10-29-2022, 02:39 PM
Why? I understand why a cheap owner wants this. But why would a fan want this? From my perspective let's say every promising Celtic hits close to the upper limit of his potential. Tell me why as a fan I should be happy that in five years the Celtics celebrate their 4th consecutive championship by finally choosing between Tatum and Brown?

Probably because it limits colluding. Teams will keep who’s a priority just like the NFL and maybe we’ll see more parody

Real Men Wear Green
10-29-2022, 03:06 PM
Probably because it limits colluding. Teams will keep who’s a priority just like the NFL and maybe we’ll see more parody

How does it limit collusion? The Heatles and the Irving KD duo were possible because their teams went far enough below cap to allow for multiple max contacts. That had nothing to do with a hard cap. If anything you reduce the collision by giving a team the power to ignore the cap and outspend all competitors to keep their players. This hard cap will have the opposite effect and collision can still happen whenever a team creates a lot of cap space

Kblaze8855
10-29-2022, 03:15 PM
Yeah hard cap does nothing but stop players staying on the teams they’re already on. You already can’t sign a free agent if it would take you above the soft salary cap. This would do nothing to stop teams depleting their roster and signing three Max guys at one time and you’re allowed to sign all the vet minimum guys you want. You could sign 3 40 million dollar players to next years 133 million dollar cap and fill in with role players like the 2010 Heat easily. Probably won’t win till you get your mle the next year and add more bargain bin players but you can do it.

All this does is stop the warriors and teams like it from keeping all their good players. The rules for taking other teams players don’t change.

warriorfan
10-29-2022, 03:28 PM
any owner can do what the warriors are doing

i’m pretty sure warriors ownership is no where near the richest owners of the league, they might be in the middle somewhere

players should lockout if they try to hard cap, the owners can afford it

Mask the Embiid
10-29-2022, 03:34 PM
any owner can do what the warriors are doing

i’m pretty sure warriors ownership is no where near the richest owners of the league, they might be in the middle somewhere

players should lockout if they try to hard cap, the owners can afford it

Clippers owner (Steve Balmer) literally has more money than every other nba owner combined. Yet the clippers aren't close to the best team. Silver is just weird

Kblaze8855
10-29-2022, 03:34 PM
Sure A lot of teams could they just choose not to. The Hawks owner was already talking about breaking up the team a couple years ago when they were in the conference finals. And I remember Paul George told the story of how some star wanted to come play with him in Indiana and management told him they were a midsize market and couldn’t afford that and to keep who they had.

Some teams just run it like a business and not to win.

Kblaze8855
10-29-2022, 03:37 PM
Clippers owner (Steve Balmer) literally has more money than every other nba owner combined. Yet the clippers aren't close to the best team. Silver is just weird

The Warriors Clippers and the nets are the team the other owners have a problem with apparently. They don’t like Balmer in general. I’m always surprised to hear it but I’ve seen multiple insiders and team executives point out that Balmer is the most hated owner in the league by other owners other than the downright embarrassment guys like Sarver. Remember those leaked emails from the Lakers mad he was gonna build his own arena and leave staples?

They are jealous of his resources and not needing his teams to do well financially. He can do what he wants and be fine and it rubs them wrong.

warriorfan
10-29-2022, 03:39 PM
it would be better to keep rules as is and just send the shittiest teams to the g league like they do in european soccer

don’t blame warriors for being too competitive, blame the scumbag owners who are cheapskates and don’t do shit, if they have to incentivize it by kicking the worst teams out of the league then so be it

Norcaliblunt
10-29-2022, 03:48 PM
Funny how the fans don’t understand that the whole league is…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0aTLowSfbxY

Paolo Banchero
10-29-2022, 11:40 PM
Its good to put more rules. You got teams like Clippers who have Steve Ballmer ( 75.2 billion USD net worth) as owner. And then you got San Antonio Spurs with owner whose net worth is 200 million dollar. ( Actually Spurs sold their team this year)

warriorfan
10-30-2022, 12:37 AM
Its good to put more rules. You got teams like Clippers who have Steve Ballmer ( 75.2 billion USD net worth) as owner. And then you got San Antonio Spurs with owner whose net worth is 200 million dollar. ( Actually Spurs sold their team this year)

big bank take little bank

can’t afford price of admission, don’t come

Paolo Banchero
10-30-2022, 12:39 AM
big bank take little bank

can’t afford price of admission, don’t come

It will make NBA boring, the way European sports is. Good to have rules to keep competition.

Kblaze8855
10-30-2022, 12:43 AM
it would be better to keep rules as is and just send the shittiest teams to the g league like they do in european soccer

don’t blame warriors for being too competitive, blame the scumbag owners who are cheapskates and don’t do shit, if they have to incentivize it by kicking the worst teams out of the league then so be it

The “They” in question are the owners themselves who are the league. And half of them or more know they’ll never be willing to spend like that. Why would they vote in a rule that costs one or two of them their spot in the league? Not that I think you actually think they would I’m just saying….you need a super majority of owners to do anything major. They’re more likely to vote in a cap that prevents the richest teams from keeping all their players than vote in relegation for themselves.

The owners themselves hate the Warriors willingness to do this so there’s nobody to turn to but the players union.