PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts?

Kblaze8855
10-28-2022, 11:43 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FewHealthyHumpbackwhale-size_restricted.gif

D-Wait
10-28-2022, 11:46 PM
It's Okoro shooting that. So made sense not to run out to the 3-point line :lol:lol

FultzNationRISE
10-28-2022, 11:53 PM
My honest thought as I watched that gif:

I wonder what Lebron is up to right now.

Full Court
10-28-2022, 11:55 PM
It's Okoro shooting that. So made sense not to run out to the 3-point line :lol:lol

Ok, sure, but why is he jumping in the paint like he has a chance to block the shot?

first thought is where is the shooter's defender at

would have to see the entire screen/play to get a better idea instead of a tiny gif

can't say i can recall seeing anything like that before though

perhaps he thinks or was told it will have some effect on the shooter since he's tall

but it probably wouldn't count as a contested shot given the distance between him and the shooter

after seeing the play

mitchell goes by brown without a pick

hauser seems to come over too far to help given kornet is back there

jumping means it's tough for him to box out which contributed to the offensive rebound but he is 7'2"

don't know much about kornet so no idea whether this is something he does often

might have to ask the coach ultimately what he thinks of the play

i'm just a dude on a message board

highwhey
10-29-2022, 02:32 AM
still 10x more effort to play defense and rebound than curry

Kblaze8855
10-29-2022, 08:02 AM
Better look

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CheeryQuerulousHogget-size_restricted.gif

Real Men Wear Green
10-29-2022, 08:12 AM
On the live broadcast Scal explained that the goal was just to obstruct his vision. Doesn't make us forget Robert Williams but it may have helped in that play.

Kblaze8855
10-29-2022, 08:56 AM
Well yes I’m sure that is the goal since obviously he can’t block a three jumping straight up in the paint. I’m just curious why they assume it works. And if it does….how nobody else thinks to do it. Feels like something the need to know everything crowd would have figured out by now. Though I suppose someone doing it all the time would give the data needed to find out.

tontoz
10-29-2022, 08:57 AM
:oldlol:

Maybe just trying to distract the shooter. Do something weird to take their focus off the rim. If the shooter is thinking wtf it might throw off his shot.

Or maybe I am just reaching. :oldlol:

DMAVS41
10-29-2022, 09:03 AM
The next evolution of defense in the NBA.

Kblaze8855
10-29-2022, 09:05 AM
As I understand it the goal is to keep corner shooters from being able to line up the shot visually since from there his hands can block the rim if perfectly timed but….eh. It’s muscle memory to these guus.

You think Steph would miss more if you did that?

I guess it’s worth finding out but if he’s the only one doing it they won’t have a sample size worth caring about for 10 years.

Kblaze8855
10-29-2022, 09:07 AM
The next evolution of defense in the NBA.

I was actually thinking that if they got a big enough sample and found out 38% shooters shoot 35% when someone does this some of these pogo stick big men are going to be forced to incorporate it until two or three of them land on somebody’s foot unnecessarily and get high ankle sprains.

tontoz
10-29-2022, 09:09 AM
If a lot of people start doing it then shooters would get used to it and it wouldn't affect them. This guy is ahead of the curve.

Reminds me of this..

https://youtu.be/m2vzNgEzrH8

DMAVS41
10-29-2022, 09:36 AM
I was actually thinking that if they got a big enough sample and found out 38% shooters shoot 35% when someone does this some of these pogo stick big men are going to be forced to incorporate it until two or three of them land on somebody’s foot unnecessarily and get high ankle sprains.

Haha...exactly.

I was about to say it "can't hurt"...but I'd imagine it would result in more rolled ankles than missed 3's.

PistonsFan#21
10-29-2022, 10:33 AM
Haha...exactly.

I was about to say it "can't hurt"...but I'd imagine it would result in more rolled ankles than missed 3's.

Him jumping instead of boxing out is what allowed that offensive rebound too. He was lucky the 2nd shot bounced out of bounds because he was out of position again.

Real Men Wear Green
10-29-2022, 10:47 AM
Him jumping instead of boxing out is what allowed that offensive rebound too. He was lucky the 2nd shot bounced out of bounds because he was out of position again.
The counter argument is that if he had ran out to challenge he would also be out of position and by staying where he was he had a better chance of being in position for a rebound. But I doubt we are discussing the future of defense here.

eurobum
10-29-2022, 11:22 AM
it is muscle memory, indeed, but you have to train it to gain an advantage.

you know both jordan used and curry and 'whi the last remaining bball deity use strobe lights during dexterity drills (including ball handling and shooting), because it takes away visual information that your brain has to fill in improving neuromuscular connectivity and neuroplasticity. literally, the less information your brain receives the harder the mechanical task, which is -- obviously -- alleviated when specifically trained for. such technology, like stroboscopic googles, forces the user to process (visual) information more efficiently. let's assume this works, which by all accounts of logic it should, then it's safe to assume this defensive technique works as well, at least in a novel way until it would become the norm to train using similar techniques like strobe lights. this is ingenious.

#boban2023DPOY

source:
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/11/11/michael-jordan-stephen-curry-kawhi-leonard-strobe-nike-vapor-goggles/

had been wanting to get a pair to improve cognition, but forgot all about it. definitely getting a pair neeeow

EDIT: diving into some research. it would appear that it works:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=stroboscopic+visual+training&filter=datesearch.y_1

Wally450
10-29-2022, 06:39 PM
He's been doing that for a while. He actually had a pretty good percentage when he does that.