PDA

View Full Version : Luka now leads the NBA in points on postups

90sgoat
11-03-2022, 10:10 AM
I don't want to say it, but I've said it for years, the league has been wide open for a big wing who could postup.

I always said Lebron would have been a true top 10 player if he played inside out, but he never liked the post.

Luka is different, he is legit one of the best post players in the league and if you put a normal size NBA guard on him, now it's an automatic score. You can basically only guard him with large athletic wings now.

Luka is currently the most scoring in the post in the entire league with 6.9 ppg to Embiid with only 5.2 ppg. He is 5th in points pr. postup and 1st among players who take a sizeable number of shots. Luka is 5th in FG% in the post, a staggering 63%.

90sgoat
11-03-2022, 12:48 PM
Wow this is interesting

WhiteKyrie
11-03-2022, 01:05 PM
Luka might be the best player in the league though. I know that might upset brothers, but oh well. Truth is truth. Give that boy Kyrie, and they’ll be in the conference finals.

Akeem34TheDream
11-03-2022, 01:14 PM
He should cut down the 3s a bit.

Mask the Embiid
11-03-2022, 03:40 PM
Luka might be the best player in the league though. I know that might upset brothers, but oh well. Truth is truth. Give that boy Kyrie, and they’ll be in the conference finals.

Not even the best white player in the league….cut it the fk out. JOKIC >

Im Still Ballin
11-03-2022, 04:00 PM
LeBron lead the league in post-up efficiency in 2013-2014.

90sgoat
11-03-2022, 04:14 PM

What do you mean about efficiency?

Yes, Lebron was at his best in Miami, playing a more classic power forward role focused on defense and rebounding (in the playoffs).

FultzNationRISE
11-03-2022, 04:15 PM

It’s not the truth tho :lol

Unless you equate skill with impact. Luka is the “best player” the same way Kobe was the “best player.” He had the widest variety of skills but he didnt make the greatest impact. For one thing Luka is not a plus defender. He’s average if we’re feeling generous. Also, his domination of the ball makes him look great on the score sheet, but it does not always optimize his teammates (again much like Kobe).

Defense, finishing in transition, and willingness to let other guys get hot are what give guys like Lebron and Giannis more genuine overall impact, even if their ball skills appear to be clunkier. Theres more to a player’s impact than just halfcourt offensive output.

Im Still Ballin
11-03-2022, 04:41 PM
When considering defense, it's hard to look past Giannis. That's my 2 sense.

3ba11
11-03-2022, 04:43 PM

No volume though so who cares

Otoh, Luka is leading in post-up ppg, so he can DOMINATE the post

Luka's dominant post ability is a reflection of his superior pure scoring ability and expert jumpshooting skill compared to Lebron's deficit in these areas...

This is why Luka actually plays different from Lebron and therefore might not need super-teams to win like Lebron's more straight-forward and predictable ball-dominance needs..

Lebron imposes spot-up roles that stall young players, so he lacks the teammate development or fits to win organically and must be a talent-based winner instead (team-hopper.. all-star team strategy).. I originally thought (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?507460-Luka-ball-will-be-career-loser-just-like-Lebron-ball-unless-he-form-super-teams) that Luka fit this mold, but stats like the OP and watching more tape have changed my mind.. :confusedshrug:

warriorfan
11-03-2022, 04:44 PM
It’s not the truth tho :lol

Unless you equate skill with impact. Luka is the “best player” the same way Kobe was the “best player.” He had the widest variety of skills but he didnt make the greatest impact. For one thing Luka is not a plus defender. He’s average if we’re feeling generous. Also, his domination of the ball makes him look great on the score sheet, but it does not always optimize his teammates (again much like Kobe).

Defense, finishing in transition, and willingness to let other guys get hot are what give guys like Lebron and Giannis more genuine overall impact, even if their ball skills appear to be clunkier. Theres more to a player’s impact than just halfcourt offensive output.

finishing in transition isn’t really a rare skill at all. lebron hasn’t played consistent defense in many years. in playoffs transition opportunities are less frequent and scoring in tight half court sets becomes more valuable. it’s why lebron hasn’t won anything in along time besides the mickey mouse ring where he got carried by AD

FultzNationRISE
11-03-2022, 04:48 PM
finishing in transition isn’t really a rare skill at all. lebron hasn’t played consistent defense in many years. in playoffs transition opportunities are less frequent and scoring in tight half court sets becomes more valuable. it’s why lebron hasn’t won anything in along time besides the mickey mouse ring where he got carried by AD

True, I was mainly thinking of Luka in comparison to Giannis today, and then I guess I was kind of thinking of prime Lebron as another example of the concept. It’s true Lebron is not the paradigm of defense and transition HE once was.

But **** it. Still the BITW and it aint close :pimp:

90sgoat
11-03-2022, 04:52 PM
Lebron imposes spot-up roles that stall young players, so he lacks the teammate development or fits to win organically and must be a talent-based winner instead (team-hopper.. all-star team strategy).. I originally thought (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?507460-Luka-ball-will-be-career-loser-just-like-Lebron-ball-unless-he-form-super-teams) that Luka fit this mold, but stats like the OP and watching more tape have changed my mind.. :confusedshrug:

What do you think is the way forward for Luka?

Imo, if he can get a good pass first point guard, he should operate mainly inside-out from the post. Get an off ball screen to get a small guard, then go from there. Would be unstoppable.

FultzNationRISE
11-03-2022, 04:57 PM

Imo, if he can get a good pass first point guard, he should operate mainly inside-out from the post. Get an off ball screen to get a small guard, then go from there. Would be unstoppable.

Personally I think he just needs to let the team push the pace a bit more often. Dont call for the ball and walk it up after every rebound. Run up the court, let someone else push it ahead and if theres a transition opportunity capitalize on it, if not he can call for it in the post. I think he’s just too stubborn about adjusting the pace to his game all the time, instead of finding a better balance that keeps his teammates engaged and in rhythm.

90sgoat
11-03-2022, 05:20 PM
Personally I think he just needs to let the team push the pace a bit more often. Dont call for the ball and walk it up after every rebound. Run up the court, let someone else push it ahead and if theres a transition opportunity capitalize on it, if not he can call for it in the post. I think he’s just too stubborn about adjusting the pace to his game all the time, instead of finding a better balance that keeps his teammates engaged and in rhythm.

This, yes that is beginning to look embarassing with how they run and pass the ball when he is out.

Needs to learn how to pick some spots for fastbreaks where he doesn't need to run up the court, because the other teammates have numbers.

SATAN
11-03-2022, 05:22 PM
Luka might be the best player in the league though. I know that might upset brothers, but oh well. Truth is truth. Give that boy Kyrie, and the team will implode.

ftfy

Phoenix
11-03-2022, 06:39 PM

Simply, get him off the ball more and be a play finisher for some possessions. His usage rate is ridiculous but the Mavs don't have another playmaker( they lost one in Brunson) to the level of changing from their current 'give it to Luka' strategy.

Good topic though, dude is legitimately a great post player without any overpowering speed or athleticism. Pure footwork, guile and playing the angles. Makes me ponder what Bird would do today from the post with that high arching jumper and similar offensive acumen.

90sgoat
11-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Simply, get him off the ball more and be a play finisher for some possessions. His usage rate is ridiculous but the Mavs don't have another playmaker( they lost one in Brunson) to the level of changing from their current 'give it to Luka' strategy.

Good topic though, dude is legitimately a great post player without any overpowering speed or athleticism. Pure footwork, guile and playing the angles. Makes me ponder what Bird would do today from the post with that high arching jumper and similar offensive acumen.

Yeah, I think we know with Luka doing what he is now.

You can say that Bird was a bad perimeter defender, but Luka is probably worse.

Bird would play power forward or small ball center and would dominate in the post, go out hit the 3, fake the shot drive and kick and so on. I'm sure he'd be absolutely amazing today.

Phoenix
11-03-2022, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I think we know with Luka doing what he is now.

You can say that Bird was a bad perimeter defender, but Luka is probably worse.

Bird would play power forward or small ball center and would dominate in the post, go out hit the 3, fake the shot drive and kick and so on. I'm sure he'd be absolutely amazing today.

Bird was a naturally better shooter, about 3 inches taller,and in his prime( pre-back injury) was probably more athletic than Luka( though that's obviously not a high bar to clear). Luka obviously has a modern handle and isn't remotely as adept coming off the ball. Bird would be incredible today( hell between Luka and Joker we can reasonably extrapolate that). Mind you Luka doesn't play like Bird, we understand 'why' the comparison comes up. Mostly Luka dominating without any inherent physical advantages makes it much easier to see what someone with Larry Legend's innate talents and skillset would do.

I'd like to see John Stockton playing today as well. Report came recently that dude at 60 years old is still ballin, even if it's just in scrimmages:

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/kelly-olynyk-says-60-year-old-john-stockton-is-nearly-the-best-player-in-pickup-games-against-the-current-jazz-squad-he-doesnt-miss-a-midrange-and-hes-so-strong