PDA

View Full Version : Why is MJ’s FT% SO much higher than Lebron’s?

Big164
11-10-2022, 06:39 PM
You cant blame it on era! No one is guarding you on the line and its been the exact same distance from the basket for the last 75 years. If this modern basketball is so superior at shooting why arent they overall better at the line than older players?

beau_boy04
11-10-2022, 08:15 PM
because Lebron has never been known as a shooter. thats why. his FG% career wise is similar to MJ because of all the dunks and driving to the basket, plain and simple.

AirBonner
11-10-2022, 08:21 PM
LeBron doesn’t need a crack pipe to feel significant

Full Court
11-10-2022, 08:59 PM
Because Jordan is a more skilled basketball player. Everyone knows this.

By the way, Bronie is shooting .667 from the free throw line so far this year.

ShawkFactory
11-10-2022, 09:27 PM
He was a better FT shooter...?

Spurs m8
11-10-2022, 09:34 PM
Because Jordan is a more skilled basketball player. Everyone knows this.

This.

Actual skill.
Fundamentals.
IQ.
Killer instinct.

Spurs m8
11-10-2022, 09:35 PM

Wow he's finally at Jordan's level

Deandre Jordan

:lebronamazed::lebronamazed::lebronamazed:

Airupthere
11-10-2022, 09:51 PM
If they only let lebron crabwalk his way to a layup for his freethrows then he would have done much better.

SATAN
11-10-2022, 09:52 PM
https://www.blackenterprise.com/files/2010/08/JohnRogers.jpg

Gohan
11-10-2022, 09:55 PM

Im tired of yall showing rrr3 daddy. Why you got to attack the mans family?

Full Court
11-10-2022, 10:05 PM

Deandre Jordan

:roll:

Good one. You had me there.

3ba11
11-10-2022, 10:19 PM
People don't realize that Jordan became the goat 2-point jumpshooter - he shot mostly jumpers on his way to 33.5 career playoff average..Every game was a smorgasbord of pretty jumpshots - check the tape - we've never seen anyone shoot 2's like him..

sdot_thadon
11-10-2022, 11:07 PM
I've always figured because it was 2 completely different body types. Usually guys who are very strong don't have a great touch to shoot fts. There are always exceptions to any rule but for the most part really strong guys aren't top tier ft shooters. The better question should be why didn't Mj shoot Fts as well as Reggie Miller?

RRR3
11-10-2022, 11:24 PM
The funniest thing about this thread is OP is a Wilt stan. LeBron is the GOAT shooter compared to Wilt :lol

MrFonzworth
11-10-2022, 11:27 PM

Deandre Jordan

:roll::roll:

Full Court
11-10-2022, 11:49 PM
I've always figured because it was 2 completely different body types. Usually guys who are very strong don't have a great touch to shoot fts. There are always exceptions to any rule but for the most part really strong guys aren't top tier ft shooters. The better question should be why didn't Mj shoot Fts as well as Reggie Miller?

Desmond Bane is built like a tank. He shoots free throws around 90%.

theman93
11-10-2022, 11:53 PM

Lebron isn’t a good free throw shooter because.....he’s too strong? LOL gimme a break :facepalm

So can we use your logic to answer your own question? MJ wasn’t as good of a free throw shooter as Miller because he was stronger?

Shooter
11-11-2022, 12:16 AM

Axe
11-11-2022, 01:14 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9KyeQj0_3NiANj974uxYqlS0MtCVgI 3t_-w&usqp=CAU

sdot_thadon
11-11-2022, 09:22 AM
Lebron isn’t a good free throw shooter because.....he’s too strong? LOL gimme a break :facepalm

So can we use your logic to answer your own question? MJ wasn’t as good of a free throw shooter as Miller because he was stronger?[/QUOTE

[QUOTE=Full Court;14685532]Desmond Bane is built like a tank. He shoots free throws around 90%.

If you've watched basketball for the amount of time I have, it's a fair observation. Tell me how many players lauded for their strength have ever been great ft shooters. Maybe there's an anomaly here and there but it's not common. And about Mj, dude he weighed 210 pounds at his heaviest and has never been seen as the strong man of the NBA lol. Dame and Kyrie weigh as much as prime Mj did. That's not an apt comparison at all, but sure, he's stronger than Reggie and that illustrates my point.

theman93
11-11-2022, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=theman93;14685538]Lebron isn’t a good free throw shooter because.....he’s too strong? LOL gimme a break :facepalm

So can we use your logic to answer your own question? MJ wasn’t as good of a free throw shooter as Miller because he was stronger?[/QUOTE

If you've watched basketball for the amount of time I have, it's a fair observation. Tell me how many players lauded for their strength have ever been great ft shooters. Maybe there's an anomaly here and there but it's not common. And about Mj, dude he weighed 210 pounds at his heaviest and has never been seen as the strong man of the NBA lol. Dame and Kyrie weigh as much as prime Mj did. That's not an apt comparison at all, but sure, he's stronger than Reggie and that illustrates my point.

I think your making the wrong correlation. Typically it’s taller players (C’s and PF’s) who have a harder time at the line due to their hand size. Strength doesn’t have anything to do with it

Phoenix
11-11-2022, 10:54 AM

Generally when you gobble together a list of 'all-time' great shooters their names will also be in the mix for free throw percentage. Here's the top 20 in %:

Curry
Nash
Price
Peja
Billups
Ray Allen
Barry
Dame
Reddick
Murphy
Skiles
Reggie
Bird
Durant
Kyrie
Sharman
Middleton
Dirk
Hornachek
Korver

The usual suspects are scattered among the list. MJ is thought of as an all-time great mid range shooter/scorer but you don't consider him a 'shooter' in the way you would Curry, Bird, KD, Price, Dirk etc etc. MJ's % falls into that 83-85% range with guys like Kobe, Derozen, Kawhi who perhaps not coincidentally are also considered great mid-range scorers if not 'great shooters' in a wider context. Interesting to note that someone like Klay is only 69th in percentage, given he'd no doubt be considered a top 10 GOAT shooter( probably top 5).