PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers is the NBA equivalent of Mike Tomlin

Red Pill Sports
11-18-2022, 01:25 AM
Both are still coasting off a single championship won in the late 2000s

Both prefer relying on high end talent to bail them out rather than strategizing.

Both had to struggle mightily for their only ring; the Celtics needed 7 games to put away a team that was under .500 just to get out of the first round. The Steelers needed a last-minute touchdown to beat a team that won nine games.

Both are terrible at making adjustments

It can be argued that no coach has won less with more than Rivers or Tomlin have in their respective leagues.

The one major difference is that Tomlin has better job security while Rivers has actually been fired a few times

MrFonzworth
11-18-2022, 01:31 AM
Crazy the steelers only had 3 head coaches since the 70s

SouBeachTalents
11-18-2022, 01:34 AM
Nothing will ever top Marvin Lewis keeping his job for sixteen years while not winning a single playoff game :lol

Red Pill Sports
11-18-2022, 01:58 AM
Whoops, forgot another detail

Since their only championship, both coaches have returned to their respective championship rounds only once. Two years later. Both ended in losses. And both have utterly dismal postseason track records since those losses.

insight
11-18-2022, 11:08 AM
Interesting that you call out Mike Tomlin when there are so many other coaches in the NFL with worse credentials. The steelers build there teams through the draft and rarely aquire talent through free agency. Unless you are terrible, which the steelers are not you are always picking in the middle of the draft or later and rarely have an opportunity to aquire the elite talent. During there most successful years the Steelers have been able to find All Pro caliber players late in the draft but recently they have not had that type of success.
Doc Rivers has coached teams that have to aquired several all star NBA players from other teams, only the clippers teams were built organically and he was never able to take them to a championship level. Many would say the same thing about Phil Jackson they say about Doc Rivers when he didn't have MJ or Koby and Shaq.

ShawkFactory
11-18-2022, 11:28 AM
Both are still coasting off a single championship won in the late 2000s

Both prefer relying on high end talent to bail them out rather than strategizing.

Both had to struggle mightily for their only ring; the Celtics needed 7 games to put away a team that was under .500 just to get out of the first round. The Steelers needed a last-minute touchdown to beat a team that won nine games.

Both are terrible at making adjustments

It can be argued that no coach has won less with more than Rivers or Tomlin have in their respective leagues.

The one major difference is that Tomlin has better job security while Rivers has actually been fired a few times

All of this is dumb but the bolded in particular is a new level of idiocy.

SouBeachTalents
11-18-2022, 11:35 AM
Especially when it comes to football. I can't think of a single Super Bowl champ over the last 15-20 years that wasn't in serious danger of losing at some point during the playoffs.

ShawkFactory
11-18-2022, 12:27 PM
Especially when it comes to football. I can't think of a single Super Bowl champ over the last 15-20 years that wasn't in serious danger of losing at some point during the playoffs.

Looking back, ironically the only one in the last 15 or so years that was never in any true danger was the 6 seed packers in 2010.

Cuz football.

Wally450
11-18-2022, 07:08 PM
Mike Tomlin is miles better than Doc. Can't compare the two.

AlternativeAcc.
11-18-2022, 07:17 PM

This.

OP is a fukking moron.

Knows nothing about either sport.

Red Pill Sports
11-18-2022, 10:53 PM
Interesting that you call out Mike Tomlin when there are so many other coaches in the NFL with worse credentials. The steelers build there teams through the draft and rarely aquire talent through free agency. Unless you are terrible, which the steelers are not you are always picking in the middle of the draft or later and rarely have an opportunity to aquire the elite talent. During there most successful years the Steelers have been able to find All Pro caliber players late in the draft but recently they have not had that type of success.
Doc Rivers has coached teams that have to aquired several all star NBA players from other teams, only the clippers teams were built organically and he was never able to take them to a championship level. Many would say the same thing about Phil Jackson they say about Doc Rivers when he didn't have MJ or Koby and Shaq.

Because other coaches with worse credentials -such as Jim Mora and Marvin Lewis- aren't constantly propped up like they're Lombardi.

Regardless of how the Steelers acquired their talent, the fact is Tomlin should have more than 1 championship with all the high end talent he's coached. But since his fluke ring against a 9-7 team, he's been back to the big game once where he proceeded to lose to a 6 seed coached by Mike McCarthy (LMFAO) who is basically the poster boy of riding the coat tails of a Hall of Fame quarterback.

And since that Super Bowl loss, Tomlin is 3-7 in the playoffs. Two of those wins came against backup QBs. In that same time period are playoff losses to Tim Tebow and Blake Bortles (LMFAO) and a total ass blasting by a Cleveland team unable to have normal practices for nearly a whole month because of COVID. Since Super Bowl XLV, he's been in the AFC Championship ONCE and got bent over and spanked by New England.

It's hard to think of a coach who has done less with more than Mike Tomlin. I mean Chuck Noll was also a beneficiary of high end talent (as the 1980s would demonstrate), but Noll has FOUR Super Bowl rings. And given how awful they were when he took over, none of his players were leftovers from his predecessor, unlike Tomlin.

Sorry but Tomlin is overrated but few in the media are willing to call him out.

Red Pill Sports
11-18-2022, 10:58 PM
This.

OP is a fukking moron.

Knows nothing about either sport.

No Princess Pretty, I know plenty. I just don't look at things with rose colored glasses like some people.

Red Pill Sports
11-18-2022, 11:00 PM

Nah they both excel at underachieving and coasting off a single championship from the late 2000s. It's a pretty accurate comparison

Red Pill Sports
11-18-2022, 11:05 PM

And what exactly is so dumb? It's a FACT that the Celtics needed 7 games to get out of the first round against a Hawks team that finished below .500 and needed 26 playoff games to get the job done. And it's a FACT that the Steelers trailed late in a Super Bowl against a 9-7 team. It's a FACT that these guys struggled against mediocre opponents for their only ring.

I realize that these FACTS hurt your precious goddamn feelings...but I don't give two flying F***S about your feelings.

Red Pill Sports
11-18-2022, 11:07 PM
Looks like I really hit a nerve with some Tomlin apologists here. I love it.

ShawkFactory
11-18-2022, 11:10 PM
And what exactly is so dumb? It's a FACT that the Celtics needed 7 games to get out of the first round against a Hawks team that finished below .500 and needed 26 playoff games to get the job done. And it's a FACT that the Steelers trailed late in a Super Bowl against a 9-7 team. It's a FACT that these guys struggled against mediocre opponents for their only ring.

I realize that these FACTS hurt your precious goddamn feelings...but I don't give two flying F***S about your feelings.

The attempted humanization of 3ball took about 3 days to break down :lol

SaltyMeatballs
11-18-2022, 11:30 PM
OP is a f***ing idiot and only sees this as the most accurate comparison because of their race

A better comparison is Mike McCarthy

Red Pill Sports
11-18-2022, 11:38 PM
OP is a f***ing idiot and only sees this as the most accurate comparison because of their race

A better comparison is Mike McCarthy

Funny, I didn't even mention their race. The only one who's brought it up so far is your bitch ass. Let's us know where your mind is, princess.

SaltyMeatballs
11-18-2022, 11:59 PM
Funny, I didn't even mention their race. The only one who's brought it up so far is your bitch ass. Let's us know where your mind is, princess.

You're still choosing to ignore that Mike McCarthy is a better comparison for being the Doc Rivers of the NFL than that dumb comparison you made.

Red Pill Sports
11-19-2022, 12:15 AM
You're still choosing to ignore that Mike McCarthy is a better comparison for being the Doc Rivers of the NFL than that dumb comparison you made.

No he isn't. Because Rivers is propped up as an all time great coach, as evidenced by being named to the Top 15 list. McCarthy has never been nearly this widely regarded.

insight
11-19-2022, 08:12 AM
Because other coaches with worse credentials -such as Jim Mora and Marvin Lewis- aren't constantly propped up like they're Lombardi.

Regardless of how the Steelers acquired their talent, the fact is Tomlin should have more than 1 championship with all the high end talent he's coached. But since his fluke ring against a 9-7 team, he's been back to the big game once where he proceeded to lose to a 6 seed coached by Mike McCarthy (LMFAO) who is basically the poster boy of riding the coat tails of a Hall of Fame quarterback.

And since that Super Bowl loss, Tomlin is 3-7 in the playoffs. Two of those wins came against backup QBs. In that same time period are playoff losses to Tim Tebow and Blake Bortles (LMFAO) and a total ass blasting by a Cleveland team unable to have normal practices for nearly a whole month because of COVID. Since Super Bowl XLV, he's been in the AFC Championship ONCE and got bent over and spanked by New England.

It's hard to think of a coach who has done less with more than Mike Tomlin. I mean Chuck Noll was also a beneficiary of high end talent (as the 1980s would demonstrate), but Noll has FOUR Super Bowl rings. And given how awful they were when he took over, none of his players were leftovers from his predecessor, unlike Tomlin.

Sorry but Tomlin is overrated but few in the media are willing to call him out.

You are creating your own narrative because you personally don't like Tomlin, Football has much more parity in it than the NBA. Most games are decided by 3 points, there are only a few elite QB's and you have to have one to win championships. Injuries and depth and your teams ability to draft players play a huge role in a teams success.
I can point to several highly though of coaches who have struggled to win more than one Superbowl examples include Pete Carrol, Andy Reid, Harbaugh, Arians. I can keep going on because winning multiple Superbowls is RARE!
Only calling out Tomlin shows your ignorance or bias either way he record is above average when you compare it to his peers. Coaches like Gruden, Sean Payton, Bill Cowher, John Madden and Ditka are not dogged out and called overrated for winning 1 superbowl.