PDA

View Full Version : Duncan won rings with less help than Lebron, so he's better

3ba11
11-19-2022, 08:05 PM
Parker, Manu < Wade, AD, Bosh and probably Kyrie and Love too

The reason Lebron needed more help is because his inferior brand of ball needs more supporting talent.

i.e. if Popovich replaced Duncan with Lebron, the Spurs would've had less ball movement and this weaker brand would've needed more supporting talent than just Parker and Manu - so Lebron's super-team help isn't coincidence - it's what his weaker brand of ball needs to win..

The historical record confirms it - Lebron always needed super-team help (three elite 1st options on 1 team), so Manu/Parker are insufficient - Lebron never won without super-teams (as the clear-cut top producer)

ShawkFactory
11-19-2022, 08:24 PM
He also won rings with less help than several guys ahead of him on your list.

Might be time for an update, yea?

Full Court
11-19-2022, 08:49 PM
OP is correct. I have Dunan ranked higher. If Lebron had stuck with the Cavs and won his four rings without team-hopping, I'd rank him higher.

Spurs m8
11-19-2022, 09:27 PM
Yep, Duncan is higher.

Smook A.
11-19-2022, 09:56 PM
Duncan had the benefit of working with more talent compared to LeBron early in his career. That's not to diminish how great he was. I think he's a top 7-8 player of all time and he always brought it in the playoffs, but he was also very fortunate to have played with a talented group of guys as soon as he got drafted and one of the smartest basketball minds ever in Coach Pop. Parker and Ginobili didn't come around until 2001 and 2002 respectively, but they were extremely important to the Spurs' championships from the mid-2000s and 2014. If neither of those guys were on the Spurs, I really don't see how Duncan would have been able to win another ring outside of 1999 and maybe 2003.

And no, Duncan is not greater than LeBron, that's delusional to think. LeBron is quite easily a top 2 player ever.

Full Court
11-19-2022, 10:17 PM
Duncan had the benefit of working with more talent compared to LeBron early in his career. That's not to diminish how great he was. I think he's a top 7-8 player of all time and he always brought it in the playoffs, but he was also very fortunate to have played with a talented group of guys as soon as he got drafted and one of the smartest basketball minds ever in Coach Pop. Parker and Ginobili didn't come around until 2001 and 2002 respectively, but they were extremely important to the Spurs' championships from the mid-2000s and 2014. If neither of those guys were on the Spurs, I really don't see how Duncan would have been able to win another ring outside of 1999 and maybe 2003.

And no, Duncan is not greater than LeBron, that's delusional to think. LeBron is quite easily a top 2 player ever.

Having multiple epic choke jobs doesn't get you into the top 2.

Lebron23
11-19-2022, 10:18 PM
Lebron also beat superior teams than Duncan in the NBA finals. And lebron also put up better numbers than TD in the regular season, playoffs and nba finals. Duncan never achieved a statistical dominance after the 2003 nba season. his very lucky pop is a great coach. Ginobili and Parker turned out to be 2 of the best international players of all time.

Spurs m8
11-19-2022, 10:19 PM
. LeBron is quite easily a top 2 player ever.

Quite easily :roll::roll::roll:

He's not even close

Smook A.
11-19-2022, 10:21 PM
Quite easily :roll::roll::roll:

He's not even close

In denial :oldlol:

Lebron23
11-19-2022, 10:33 PM
And When Duncan was the leader of the team. He led Team USA to a Bronze medal in 2004. If Duncan and KG are put in the same situations. I doubt Duncan is capable of leading Minnesota for an NBA title.

3ba11
11-19-2022, 11:47 PM
Lebron also beat superior teams than Duncan in the NBA finals. And lebron also put up better numbers than TD in the regular season, playoffs and nba finals. Duncan never achieved a statistical dominance after the 2003 nba season. his very lucky pop is a great coach. Ginobili and Parker turned out to be 2 of the best international players of all time.

Duncan defeated the Lakers in the Western Playoffs while Lebron was losing to a 1-star underdog that was injured (Dwight)

And Duncan defeated Dirk in the playoffs while Lebron was having the GOAT choke.. literally

Hey Yo
11-19-2022, 11:51 PM
Duncan defeated the Lakers in the Western Playoffs while Lebron was losing to a 1-star underdog that was injured (Dwight)

And Duncan defeated Dirk in the playoffs while Lebron was having the GOAT choke.. literally

Duncan lost to an 8 seed in the first round

3ba11
11-20-2022, 12:07 AM
Duncan lost to an 8 seed in the first round

Who was the 8 seed and when

Did duncan ever lose with super-teams or by record amount with super-teams

Axe
11-20-2022, 12:42 AM
Uno nueve

1987_Lakers
11-20-2022, 12:46 AM
Who was the 8 seed and when

Is this a serious question? lol.

They lost to the 8th seed Grizzlies

1987_Lakers
11-20-2022, 12:53 AM

Yes, to act like Duncan didn't have much help is dumb. D-Rob was past his prime in '99, but still a menace on the defensive end. Both Ginobili & Parker will be in the HOF as well. OP isn't even considering that the top teams in the 00's didn't have the talent that the top teams from the 10's had, which means Duncan didn't need a stacked cast to win.

Airupthere
11-20-2022, 02:05 AM
Duncan allowed for a winning culture where players can thrive. They all became great together. Bronball won’t allow that. Duncan is the greater player in this regard. With lebron, teammates dont grow, coaches get blamed, teammates get blamed then traded. Or lebron simple leaves and superteams until teammates regress again.

Phoenix
11-20-2022, 05:28 AM

:oldlol:

Whoopsie.

3ba11
11-20-2022, 09:00 AM

Duncan didn't win with less than MJ, Curry, or Kobe... Less than Kareem or Russell, so maybe there's an argument there..

Shooter
11-20-2022, 09:02 AM
Seven thousand
Six hundred
Thirty one

Next :dancin

rmt
11-20-2022, 10:43 AM

You're off with your years - 2002 and 2003. Duncan did a major job carrying second year, 20 year old Parker and rookie Manu (talk about pulling my hair out). The recent struggles of GSW reminded me of that 2003 Spurs - Steph doing heavy lifting, Kerr unwilling but SHOULD be playing through mistakes of youngsters - then I remember that GSW just won a championship, Wiggins is a first pick in the draft, Greene/Klay are former all stars and I realize it's only the bolded that they have in common.

Parker and Manu are great players, but they are not FRANCHISE players as Wade, Bosh, Kyrie, AD were. Parker was quick and had fantastic body control - was solid night in night out, week after week, year after year. Manu was creative, clutch, had a variety of moves/skills but HAD to be limited in minutes played. The Spurs almost never went into luxury tax territory - not like today's game where money/salary doesn't seem to matter - they just spend, spend, spend. And Pop was not thought of in goat terms until the 2010s - certainly not in 1999 or 2003.

Vino24
11-20-2022, 11:04 AM
Paul Pierce won a chip with less defensive help than MJ

Smook A.
11-21-2022, 12:21 AM
You're off with your years - 2002 and 2003. Duncan did a major job carrying second year, 20 year old Parker and rookie Manu (talk about pulling my hair out). The recent struggles of GSW reminded me of that 2003 Spurs - Steph doing heavy lifting, Kerr unwilling but SHOULD be playing through mistakes of youngsters - then I remember that GSW just won a championship, Wiggins is a first pick in the draft, Greene/Klay are former all stars and I realize it's only the bolded that they have in common.

Parker and Manu are great players, but they are not FRANCHISE players as Wade, Bosh, Kyrie, AD were. Parker was quick and had fantastic body control - was solid night in night out, week after week, year after year. Manu was creative, clutch, had a variety of moves/skills but HAD to be limited in minutes played. The Spurs almost never went into luxury tax territory - not like today's game where money/salary doesn't seem to matter - they just spend, spend, spend. And Pop was not thought of in goat terms until the 2010s - certainly not in 1999 or 2003.

That's why I brought up 2003 as another year that Duncan could've possibly won another ring if you replaced Manu and Tony and with two other solid players in those same positions. He was straight up carrying

RRR3
11-21-2022, 12:22 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

kawhileonard2
11-21-2022, 12:24 AM

He had Shaq, Ben Wallace, Russell Westbrook, Anthony Davis.

LeGoat4Life
11-21-2022, 01:14 AM
Who rates Lebron higher than Duncan?

Duncan is universally general consensus higher than Lebron on any list

Only low IQ fans thinks Lebron was better

Shooter
11-22-2022, 10:10 AM
Who rates Lebron higher than Duncan?

Duncan is universally general consensus higher than Lebron on any list

Only low IQ fans thinks Lebron was better

Ego Killer, Straight Altin

Chill :lol

kawhileonard2
11-22-2022, 10:26 PM

Lebron switched teams. Duncan won for the franchise that drafted him. Duncan also won more and beat Lebron more.