PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a “process over results” problem with this shot by Trae?

Kblaze8855
11-24-2022, 08:03 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PopularMeekDouglasfirbarkbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Why or why not?

Real Men Wear Green
11-24-2022, 09:54 AM
It's been established that that's his game so no I don't. But I don't think he's Steph Curry, that's not a good shot to be taking for him even though he can do it better than most.

Xiao Yao You
11-24-2022, 10:34 AM
It's a bad shot for anyone not named Steph. No one shoots a high % on deep 3's other than him. The trolls favorite Mitchell is like 18 % on the deep 3's

Kblaze8855
11-24-2022, 10:43 AM
The argument I saw centered on a point guard attacking a hard double at 45 feet instead of passing to an open teammate. And if you can be called a ball hog while leading the league in assists for the second year in a row. On the other side…he made the shot.

All points have some validity.

iamgine
11-24-2022, 11:02 AM
That's an open shot tho. He shook the defender off.

ShawkFactory
11-24-2022, 11:32 AM
I used to have an issue with this but I don’t so much anymore, as long as it’s used in moderation.

It’s similar to a quarterback taking a low percentage deep shot to keep a defense honest.

Full Court
11-24-2022, 01:51 PM
I do have a problem with it. It's a team game, and even if the stupid shot you took went in, it doesn't erase the fact that it was a low-IQ possession. I don't like when Trae, or Luka, or anyone else does that. Good teams move the ball around and create good looks.

SouBeachTalents
11-24-2022, 02:35 PM
That is not a good shot, I wouldn't even like it for Steph.

tontoz
11-24-2022, 02:36 PM
The shot clock is the issue. He can get that shot any time so why not work the ball around to get a better shot? Nobody else touched the ball on that possession.

Trae is similar to Luka in that they both take too many 3s early in the clock. They aren't good enough shooters to be doing that without hurting the team.

I am sure it doesn't go over well with teammates when they come down and jack up a contested 3 without anyone else touching the ball.

Real Men Wear Green
11-24-2022, 03:09 PM
Doncic is weird and different. It seems like the tougher the shot is the more likely he is to make it. He's unique. You still have to figure out how to fit what he does into a team concept but the rules of good and bad shot don't seem to apply.

Kblaze8855
11-24-2022, 03:34 PM
Luka really is wild. He takes “2 seconds left down 3 game 7” shots with 18 left on the clock in November. But so many go in I don’t know if I can be mad at it. That guy is both amazing and an idiot. But so amazing the idiot kinda gets a pass.

tontoz
11-25-2022, 01:17 PM
Both guys are taking bad shots. Period.

Luka is taking 8 3s a game shooting 30% which is ridiculous, especially considering he is shooting over 60% on 2s. Trae's shooting is weak from 3 and 2.

If the clock is running down that is the time to go 1 on 1 to make something happen, not early in the clock when nobody else has touched the ball.

Kblaze8855
11-25-2022, 01:30 PM
The other side of that argument is that as long as your team stays competitive while you do it, you have a massive advantage over normal players when it’s time to make big shots. He’s kinda todays Kobe or even Bird before him who had their shot selection questioned but it came in handy when it’s time to go get a basket you don’t deserve.

If Kobe came up these days he’d probably be taking wild threes instead of the wild fadeaway twos we got used to.

ArbitraryWater
11-25-2022, 01:36 PM
That's an open shot tho. He shook the defender off.

You are funny

GimmeThat
11-25-2022, 01:55 PM
he went from the right side of the floor, to the left, then back to the middle, and based on the player movement, I'm okay with it. the correct play would have been the player who was free to had move to the center free throw line area to screen up for a big, or to get the weak side to free up a cut to the basket or set up another 3.

when your primary ball handler is being doubled, you go from Markieff Morris, to Blake Griffin.

tontoz
11-25-2022, 02:00 PM
The other side of that argument is that as long as your team stays competitive while you do it, you have a massive advantage over normal players when it’s time to make big shots. He’s kinda todays Kobe or even Bird before him who had their shot selection questioned but it came in handy when it’s time to go get a basket you don’t deserve.

If Kobe came up these days he’d probably be taking wild threes instead of the wild fadeaway twos we got used to.

That end of game/end of clock situation is a completely different discussion.

Kobe definitely had shot selection issues which bit him in the @ss repeatedly. I remember one time against the Wizards that noted strategist Nick Young said the plan in the 2nd half was to double Kobe because they knew he wouldn't pass. Kobe had a big first half and sure enough he kept jacking up bad shots in the 2nd half letting the Wizards come back and win.

The most high profile example of this was the 2004 Finals. Detroit put Ben on Shaq without help knowing Ben couldn't handle Shaq. Nobody could. They gambled that Kobe wouldn't pass the ball enough to make them pay.

Kblaze8855
11-25-2022, 02:12 PM
Well sure irrational confidence can bite you in the ass but even if it didn’t you’d generally just lose anyway and have something else be blamed. If you aren’t Bill Russell, you spent most of your career losing and even if everyone played perfectly optimal ball, 29 teams have to lose so it’s never as simple as you cost your team victory because you do this or you do that.

Whether you do it or not, you’re probably gonna lose. But the irrational confidence some guys like Kobe and Luka and others play with is a result of the incredible work ethic that gives them their greatness and the confidence as a side effect.

Its hard to have one without the other.

Dirk had it. Not too many others. Most guys who can make tough shots at that all time rate…really really believe in themselves to the point it’s sometimes a problem.

But like I said…it comes with the skill set usually. You don’t get that good by taking good shots. You only become a tough shot master by taking them.

Carbine
11-25-2022, 02:21 PM
I personally subscribe to the theory that if you draw two, it needs to be a pass.

This creates a good "brand" of basketball as 3ball would say. A good culture. We not me.

There are some exceptions, like late in the clock you gotta do what you gotta do. But generally, this isn't team basketball.

tontoz
11-25-2022, 02:25 PM
Well sure irrational confidence can bite you in the ass but even if it didn’t you’d generally just lose anyway and have something else be blamed. If you aren’t Bill Russell, you spent most of your career losing and even if everyone played perfectly optimal ball, 29 teams have to lose so it’s never as simple as you cost your team victory because you do this or you do that.

Whether you do it or not, you’re probably gonna lose. But the irrational confidence some guys like Kobe and Luka and others play with is a result of the incredible work ethic that gives them their greatness and the confidence as a side effect.

Its hard to have one without the other.

Dirk had it. Not too many others. Most guys who can make tough shots at that all time rate…really really believe in themselves to the point it’s sometimes a problem.

But like I said…it comes with the skill set usually. You don’t get that good by taking good shots. You only become a tough shot master by taking them.

None of these guys are 3 pt masters. For his career Kobe shot 32.9%. Luka 33.5%.

In theory Trae should be a good 3 pt shooter. FT shooting generally correlates to 3 pt shooting but it doesn't with Trae because he forces up too many bad shots.

At the end of the clock sure give them the ball and let them create. Early in the clock run the dam play. Taking long contested 3s early in the clock is bad basketball for them.

GimmeThat
11-25-2022, 02:32 PM
pretty sure performing under pressure can only be viewed as a negative under the concept of Cancer

1987_Lakers
11-25-2022, 02:33 PM
pretty sure performing under pressure can only be viewed as a negative under the concept of Cancer

Your shtick of posting random things is getting old.

ZenMaster
11-25-2022, 02:38 PM
The argument I saw centered on a point guard attacking a hard double at 45 feet instead of passing to an open teammate. And if you can be called a ball hog while leading the league in assists for the second year in a row. On the other side…he made the shot.

All points have some validity.

I'd love to see that scenario play out 1000 times and get numbers on the actual outcomes.
It's a crazy shot and it's an easy pass out to create a rotation situation, but I guess you can counter argue that Mike Brown probably has a pretty good plan for what his players should do within this specific rotation, and that on a miss you have numbers advantage for the rebound.
I don't think I'd like playing as this guys teammate though.

GimmeThat
11-25-2022, 02:40 PM
Your shtick of posting random things is getting old.

it's as if getting better social security and better medicare coverage at this stage of history is still fathomable