PDA

View Full Version : Which position has the weakest all time elite list?

Kblaze8855
11-24-2022, 10:25 PM
Centers pretty easily have the best list. You could argue a 3 time mvp and finals mvp isn’t one of the 6-7 best centers.

Worst I guess is power forwards but point guards might give them a run.

Throw out your top 3 at any position….who has the weakest 4-10 or so?

I don’t need you to make the list(though feel free) I’m just wondering who you think the worst might be.

Now that I think about it after Jordan, Kobe, Wade, and West you could get well down the all time list before you mention another 2 but the top spots hold them up nicely.

I’m really less sure the more I think about it. I think where you put Giannis position wise factors in. If he’s a 3 and they have Bird, Lebron, Doc, KD and he with Baylor and Hondo hanging around? That’s tough. But the 4s could really use him.

Dont know what position to land on but I feel the 4 is probably the weakest.

Im so nba'd out
11-24-2022, 10:28 PM
probably sg

who you got. MJ KOBE A.I Dwade Harden.....thats about it for elite. unless you're counting ppl with insane 1 or 2 years peaks like tmac. Im only counting ppl from 1980 on. modern era on

PF got KG, Dirk, Giannis, AD, Webber,Duncan, McHale, Malone, Barkley, and im sure its others if i put deep thought into it

iamgine
11-24-2022, 10:45 PM
Depends how you look at it.

Bird was a PF for a long time. Even won 2 out of 3 of his title as a PF.

You put him at PF and suddenly the PF position is looking quite strong.

Kblaze8855
11-24-2022, 10:48 PM
Depends how you look at it.

Bird was a PF for a long time. Even won 2 out of 3 of his title as a PF.

You put him at PF and suddenly the PF position is looking quite strong.

Yea you could adjust it a bit if you wanted. Magic won two titles as a 2 as well. We just don’t choose to look at it that way.

Avinash
11-24-2022, 10:52 PM
Used to be SF, But this generation produced Lebron-Durant to cover up.

iamgine
11-24-2022, 10:57 PM
Yea you could adjust it a bit if you wanted. Magic won two titles as a 2 as well. We just don’t choose to look at it that way.

I've always thought that was just Magic playing out of position. Just like Bird at SF was him playing out of position. Even though clearly Magic would still do pretty good even playing as a center.

ShawkFactory
11-24-2022, 10:59 PM
Yea I think it's SG if it's just the depth after the true elites. Who is 5th? Harden?

RRR3
11-24-2022, 11:05 PM
Yea I think it's SG if it's just the depth after the true elites. Who is 5th? Harden?
It has to be Harden at this point yes.

Bawkish
11-24-2022, 11:18 PM
I also believe it's SG

You'd have to be an exceptional SG to be among the elite whose position's most strengths are versatility

John8204
11-24-2022, 11:56 PM
It's SG 1-2-3 are easy (Jordan, Kobe, West) after that you are all over the place

PF and SF are both sneaky deep...the way I see it the best top five is Centers

Top 5 - Centers (Wilt, KAJ, Bill, Mikan, Moses)

Best top ten...could be Centers, Point Guards, or Power Forwards
Top 10 - Point Guards (Magic, Oscar, Curry, Stockton, CPIII, Frazier, Kidd, Isiah, Archibald, Payton)

Top fifteen is either point guards or centers
Top 15 - Centers (Wilt, KAJ, Bill, Mikan, Moses, Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Thurmond, Reed, Ewing, Jokic, Mcadoo, Embiid, Walton)

Top twenty is where it's between Power and Small Forwards
Top 20 - Power Forward (Lebron, Duncan, Dirk, Barkley, Giannis, Garnett, Pettit, K Malone, Hayes, Schayes, McHale, Davis, Bosh, Debuschere, Webber, Gasol, Fulks, Lucas, Haywood, Jones)
Top 25 - Small Forward (Bird, Dr J, Havlicek, Baylor, Barry, Durant, Kwahi, Arizin, Wilkins, Pippen, Worthy, Rodman, Pierce, Carmello, Luka, McGrady, Butler, English, Dantley, Hill, Mullin, King, Twyman, Cunningham, Playoff Pete)

John8204
11-25-2022, 12:04 AM

For me the five is MJ, Kobe, West, Gervin, AI...it's pretty rough because Wade, Maravich, Reggie Miller, and James Harden all have huge issues

Jasper
11-25-2022, 12:10 AM
I have to say SG.

Off the top of my head how many complete players are SG's ?? A hand full.
Their job is supposed to be offense / but many have forgot defense.
For a good decade some SG's were the worst on the floor to shoot a jumper.

Strengths in the league are Centers, PF's, SF, and PG's . (Many would think SF 's are the strongest in the league , because they have to defend, forwards, as well as guards and be weak side defense for PF's and centers) But Centers are the strongest in consistency .

ShawkFactory
11-25-2022, 12:28 AM
For me the five is MJ, Kobe, West, Gervin, AI...it's pretty rough because Wade, Maravich, Reggie Miller, and James Harden all have huge issues

Why are you on this weird Wade kick?

outofstomach
11-25-2022, 12:48 AM
It has to be Harden at this point yes.
im glad you finally gave him his flowers

John8204
11-25-2022, 01:34 AM
Why are you on this weird Wade kick?

I don't think it's a huge kick, just not that big of a fan of the guy. For me he was the 2nd best player on his team for his career. I know most of you grew up with him and love him but he never even won a scoring title. Gervin and AI both have four that's with Durant, Wilt, and Jordan....that's the top five that's the list.

I don't take issue with you people loving the guy but he's just not someone I rank highly

ShawkFactory
11-25-2022, 01:54 AM
I don't think it's a huge kick, just not that big of a fan of the guy. For me he was the 2nd best player on his team for his career. I know most of you grew up with him and love him but he never even won a scoring title. Gervin and AI both have four that's with Durant, Wilt, and Jordan....that's the top five that's the list.

I don't take issue with you people loving the guy but he's just not someone I rank highly

I watched Iverson too. As amazing as he was at certain things, Wade was obviously a more complete and better overall player. Nobody is taking AI over prime Wade other than his biggest fans.

John8204
11-25-2022, 02:17 AM
I watched Iverson too. As amazing as he was at certain things, Wade was obviously a more complete and better overall player. Nobody is taking AI over prime Wade other than his biggest fans.

And I would take Reggie Miller over both of them just based on what I saw from the three of them. I've heard the arguments I respect them moreso than other players that I think are overrated. I just didn't see enough from him to say he's clearly top five.

Avinash
11-25-2022, 02:24 AM
6 C (KAREEM, SHAQ, WILT ,Bill Russell, Hakeem, Moses Malone)
4 SF ( BIRD, LEBRON, DURANT, Julius Erving)
4 PF ( DUNCAN , Karl Malone, Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki)
3 PG (MAGIC, CURRY , OSCAR)
3 SG (KOBE, JORDAN, WEST)

I am going PG position

ShawkFactory
11-25-2022, 02:45 AM
And I would take Reggie Miller over both of them just based on what I saw from the three of them. I've heard the arguments I respect them moreso than other players that I think are overrated. I just didn't see enough from him to say he's clearly top five.

No you wouldn’t :lol

Xiao Yao You
11-25-2022, 08:35 AM

yep. Wouldn't want AI

WhiteKyrie
11-25-2022, 09:10 AM
John8204 is a certified moron. Wade was the best player on his team from his second season forward. And tied for best in 2011, before tapering his game back to accommodate someone else. Hell, he was arguably the best player on the Redeem Team and that featured prime Kobe and soon to be prime LeBron.

SG isn’t shallow - 8x MVPs

Dominant SGs with rings

1) MJ (the goat) 30/6/5
2) Kobe 25/5/5
3) West 27/6/7
4) Wade 22/5/5

Dominant SGs no rings

5) Iverson 27/4/6
6) Harden 22/7/10
7) Drexler 20/6/6

After that, yes, drop off.

HMs:
McGrady
Allen
Miller
Gervin

But in terms of overall impact on the game, PG is shallowest. Magic and Curry and Zeke were the only ones that were massive culture changers in terms of bringing chips as dominant players. Magic and Curry more specifically.

GimmeThat
11-25-2022, 09:24 AM
there's somehow still this pre-expansion era mentality that players should play 40+ a game with legend like performance in order to validate greatness

Phoenix
11-25-2022, 09:31 AM
John8204 is a certified moron. Wade was the best player on his team from his second season forward. And tied for best in 2011, before tapering his game back to accommodate someone else. Hell, he was arguably the best player on the Redeem Team and that featured prime Kobe and soon to be prime LeBron.

1) MJ (the goat) 30/6/5
2) Kobe 25/5/5
3) West 27/6/7
4) Wade 22/5/5
5) Iverson 27/4/6
6) Harden 22/7/10
7) Drexler 20/6/6

But in terms of overall impact on the game, PG is shallowest. Magic and Curry and Zeke were the only ones that were massive culture changers in terms of bringing chips as dominant players. Magic and Curry more specifically.

Yes but in fairness, MJ accounts for the vast majority of those MVPs awards. Everyone else managed 1 MVP each. All the other positions have produced several players who were multiple MVP winners. PG has three multiple MVP guys; Magic(3), Nash(2), Curry(2). SF has two in Bird(3) and Lebron(4). The idea of a non-big even being a multiple time MVP wasn't a thing before Bird. From 1956 to 1984, 3 players who weren't listed as a Power Forward or Center won MVP: Cousy(57),Oscar(64),Dr. J(81). But to show how much the game has increasingly become more perimeter-oriented, starting with Larry Legend 25 of 39 MVPs have been won at the PG/SG/SF spots.

I guess it depends on how this is being measured. MJ, for example, is the only SG who was the 'clearcut number 1' for more than 2 titles.

WhiteKyrie
11-25-2022, 10:45 AM
Yes but in fairness, MJ accounts for the vast majority of those MVPs awards. Everyone else managed 1 MVP each. All the other positions have produced several players who were multiple MVP winners. PG has three multiple MVP guys; Magic(3), Nash(2), Curry(2). SF has two in Bird(3) and Lebron(4). The idea of a non-big even being a multiple time MVP wasn't a thing before Bird. From 1956 to 1984, 3 players who weren't listed as a Power Forward or Center won MVP: Cousy(57),Oscar(64),Dr. J(81). But to show how much the game has increasingly become more perimeter-oriented, starting with Larry Legend 25 of 39 MVPs have been won at the PG/SG/SF spots.

I guess it depends on how this is being measured. MJ, for example, is the only SG who was the 'clearcut number 1' for more than 2 titles.

Yeah but there’s a few of those players on the shooting guard list I would take over Steph or Nash or Oscar. They just didn’t win MVP. West and Harden have assist numbers on par with good career averages from actual PGs. Hell, even Iverson too.

Phoenix
11-25-2022, 11:04 AM
Yeah but there’s a few of those players on the shooting guard list I would take over Steph or Nash or Oscar. They just didn’t win MVP. West and Harden have assist numbers on par with good career averages from actual PGs. Hell, even Iverson too.

Objectively speaking, the SG spot has only produced 1 multiple MVP winner. Arbitrarily you are of course free to say 'well I'd take Wade with zero MVPs over Nash with 2' but that's a separate branch of discussion rooted in subjectivity. Your initial comment spoke to MVP count, so my reply was suitable to that criteria. Another criteria point could be which position has led the most championship winners versus the least. Hence why I said before this question is very much a 'well what grounds are you arguing on' discussion, because different bullet points and criteria are usually valued differently and that's what makes these conversations a bit of a pissing in the wind affair.

Xiao Yao You
11-25-2022, 11:17 AM

Dominant SGs with rings

1) MJ (the goat) 30/6/5
2) Kobe 25/5/5
3) West 27/6/7
4) Wade 22/5/5

Dominant SGs no rings

5) Iverson 27/4/6
6) Harden 22/7/10
7) Drexler 20/6/6

HMs:
McGrady
Allen
Miller
Gervin

Wade and Lebron certainly carried that olympic team

WhiteKyrie
11-25-2022, 11:34 AM
Wade and Lebron certainly carried that olympic team
Kobe was the winning piece. His leadership, clutch-ness, defensive intensity changed the culture of the team and many of the young star players, and his inclusion in 2007 and 2008 restored America’s intimidation factor.

And even though Dwyane Wade and LeBron James put up the best numbers on the team, they both turned to Kobe Bryant in the absolute most pressure packed moment of the gold medal game to carry them. They’ve acknowledged this. And that’s why he was there.

Not only that but Kobe had his best statistical games against the actual quality elite international comp, in order to send a message. Argentina, Greece, and Spain. The other guys feasted for a lot of their numbers against the other competition.

It was the same thing on the 1992 team, Barkley and Pippen did the best against most of the competition, Mike put the stomp down against the Croatians and Lithuania.

Mike and Kobe focused on being smothering defenders on the other teams best perimeter players.

Wade carried them the first half of the gold medal game though, when the referees purposely put LeBron and Kobe in foul trouble to make the game more competitive.

No one really carries an Olympic team.

Unless it’s a rare scenario like Kevin Durant in 2021, Kevin Durant in 2010, or Michael Jordan in 1984.

Those are the only scenarios where I’ve seen one player have to carry our national team.

Usually they’re pretty stacked with talent. There’s been very few team USA performances by a player where they “carried” the team because usually it’s not needed.