PDA

View Full Version : True or False: Prime Sheed was more skilled than KG, Webber, or Duncan

BigShotBob
11-27-2022, 03:58 PM
Before you hastily reply, note that Tim Duncan said that Sheed was the hardest player for him to guard throughout his entire career

Discuss.

L.Kizzle
11-27-2022, 04:28 PM
I believe it. He didn't take advantage of his skills. He could shoot with both hands. I mean like 3 pointers not 4 foot hook shots.

fsvr54
11-27-2022, 04:29 PM
Iggy didn't prop him up for no reason either. Players know

3ba11
11-27-2022, 04:30 PM
Sheed was a pure shooter with among the best turnaround jumpers of all time

Otoh, Webber, Duncan and KG didn't have a go-to move or shooting touch.. Duncan had some go-to moves but no shooting touch.. Sheed was probably the best pure scorer of the bunch

However, phyiscally, Sheed was the smallest of the group.. The size issue allowed Webber, Duncan and KG to dominate in a way that I'm not sure Sheed could..

Kblaze8855
11-27-2022, 04:35 PM
Being the worst ball handler and passer of the bunch it’s hard to say most skilled in total. And his post game was more one near unstoppable shot than the kind of polish Duncan had.

Overall I’d say no. Not the most skilled of that bunch. But a lot closer as an actual player than his numbers will show.

Real Men Wear Green
11-27-2022, 04:38 PM
False. People love to overrate guys that seem talented. He shot 34% from three and 72% from free throws. Add a shooter he was not special. You can dig up a video of him hitting threes with both hands at the same time but that doesn't matter in Game play you don't take threes with your off hand and even if he did his percentage count that is most likely bad. His whole career people speculated about what a great player he could be but the reality is he wasn't. Garnett and Duncan were both better in every way.

SouBeachTalents
11-27-2022, 04:47 PM
Being the worst ball handler and passer of the bunch it’s hard to say most skilled in total. And his post game was more one near unstoppable shot than the kind of polish Duncan had.

Overall I’d say no. Not the most skilled of that bunch. But a lot closer as an actual player than his numbers will show.
He was also the worst rebounder of the bunch by a significant margin, and frankly a poor rebounder for a PF/C in general.

Kblaze8855
11-27-2022, 04:54 PM
False. People love to overrate guys that seem talented. He shot 34% from three and 72% from free throws. Add a shooter he was not special. You can dig up a video of him hitting threes with both hands at the same time but that doesn't matter in Game play you don't take threes with your off hand and even if he did his percentage count that is most likely bad. His whole career people speculated about what a great player he could be but the reality is he wasn't. Garnett and Duncan were both better in every way.

Id say skill is mostly what you can do. Performance is what you actually do in games. Like if I said Ichiro is one of the most skilled baseball players ever a lot of stories on him throwing mean ass curve balls in practice or hitting bounced pitches…throwing balls from center field way up in the stands….it would come up.

Not every aspect of skill is applied to real games on a regular basis because of the roles people play, coaching, and generally being a time to be serious.

Im not saying to count that he can do magic tricks when you evaluate him as a player but if I watch a guy wet 5 half court shots it’s fair if I leave with the impression he’s skilled…even if he never needs to take one in a real game.

BigShotBob
11-27-2022, 05:08 PM

In his 7 seasons in Portland he shot 45% from midrange which is insane efficiency especially for that era and around 70% at the rim

KG by comparison was never a terribly efficient volume scorer

Real Men Wear Green
11-27-2022, 05:22 PM
Id say skill is mostly what you can do. Performance is what you actually do in games. Like if I said Ichiro is one of the most skilled baseball players ever a lot of stories on him throwing mean ass curve balls in practice or hitting bounced pitches…throwing balls from center field way up in the stands….it would come up.

Not every aspect of skill is applied to real games on a regular basis because of the roles people play, coaching, and generally being a time to be serious.

Im not saying to count that he can do magic tricks when you evaluate him as a player but if I watch a guy wet 5 half court shots it’s fair if I leave with the impression he’s skilled…even if he never needs to take one in a real game.

The thing is it's never been tracked what percent of those off hand threes he's going to make. If Steph Curry can spin the ball on his finger for 5 minutes and Dejounte Murray can do it for a half hour do we now seriously consider Murray to be a skilled?

Kblaze8855
11-27-2022, 05:26 PM
I think a more apt comparison would be if he could make 50 straight left handed 3 point floaters and Steph couldn’t get past 5. It wouldn’t make him more skilled because there’s a lot more to basketball than such nonsense. But it would be a very impressive display of skill.

Real Men Wear Green
11-27-2022, 05:28 PM
In his 7 seasons in Portland he shot 45% from midrange which is insane efficiency especially for that era and around 70% at the rim

KG by comparison was never a terribly efficient volume scorer
You think KG couldn't hit midrange? In Boston that was basically all he did and he is a career 79% free throws shooter. Wallace was never any kind of volume scorer period. His career average would be a washed up season for KG.

Kblaze8855
11-27-2022, 05:34 PM
I don’t feel like going down a Google rabbit hole to verify it, but I think I’ve seen numbers suggesting late prime KG was one of the best mid range shooters in the time it’s been tracked. May be a season thing or totals. I’m not sure. I might look into it later.

L.Kizzle
11-27-2022, 05:59 PM
Sheed was better than his numbers suggested. For whatever reason he went down the Derrick Coleman route.

BigShotBob
11-27-2022, 06:29 PM
You think KG couldn't hit midrange? In Boston that was basically all he did and he is a career 79% free throws shooter. Wallace was never any kind of volume scorer period. His career average would be a washed up season for KG.

KG could I actually think numbers wise he was more efficient in Boston vs the Timberwolves but that may be a combination of lesser volume and just becoming better. Yes Wallace was never a volume scorer but I believe he had the capacity to be. He was just extremely unselfish and wanted to play a very team system orientated game

BigShotBob
11-27-2022, 06:30 PM
I don’t feel like going down a Google rabbit hole to verify it, but I think I’ve seen numbers suggesting late prime KG was one of the best mid range shooters in the time it’s been tracked. May be able to see some thing or totals. I’m not sure. I might look into it later.

Yea maybe you could verify for us but I think KG was actually a more efficient shooter in Boston than he was in his T-Wolves days

AirBonner
11-27-2022, 06:42 PM
Yea maybe you could verify for us but I think KG was actually a more efficient shooter in Boston than he was in his T-Wolves days

Which is obvious because he didn’t face maximum defensive attention. However his numbers were similar

Baller789
11-27-2022, 10:00 PM
Sheed didnt provide the same level of rim protection that TD and KG did tho.

dankok8
11-28-2022, 12:17 PM
I don't think he was more skilled but he was a very skilled player. Being such a killer in the post with both hands and being able to shoot from all distances is big stuff. He was also a really good defender though not sure OP wanted to discuss that aspect. Sheed's silly technical fouls hurt his team so his attitude was a negative.

TAZORAC
11-28-2022, 07:00 PM
NO, they all had certain things they could do better then the other. Garnett was the best defender, Duncan had the best post moves, Webber had the best hands and may have been the best rebounder, Wallace had the best jump shot