PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who are your football/soccer top GOATS?

90sgoat
11-28-2022, 08:32 PM
In case muricans are missing it, there's a football/soccer competition going on in a deplorable arab desert somewhere.

It made me think, because in soccer we have all these nephews also claiming that their generation players are GOAT, but they're not.

Here's my top 10 GOAT list of footballers. I began watching football before basketball, so I can go all the way back to the 80s on this one, not going to go into Cruyf or Pele etc:

Some people are not going to like this one.

1. Diego Maradona
2. (Johann Cruyf)
3. Zinedine Zidane
4. (Pele)
5. Ronaldo
6. Christiano Ronaldo
7. Lionel Messi
8. Ronaldinho
9. Michael Laudrup
10. Romario

Hey Yo
11-28-2022, 08:39 PM
Wrong board.

LOL @ soccer

SATAN
11-28-2022, 08:44 PM
LeBron James.

Chick Stern
11-29-2022, 12:48 AM
Mia Hamm
Megan Rapinoe
Alex Morgan

1987_Lakers
11-29-2022, 01:15 AM
Lol, I was just watching this vid earlier today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJiwzNDX3wI

┌∩┐(﹒︠益﹒︡)┌∩┐
11-29-2022, 01:59 AM
Maybe not the most skilled, but in terms of GREATNESS Emile Heskey must be in the conversation

Round Mound
11-29-2022, 02:00 PM
My favorite soccer player was Lothar Matthäus when i was a kid. He played almost all positions and wasn't very tall. Best mixture of power and skill.

nineiron
11-29-2022, 02:28 PM
In case muricans are missing it, there's a football/soccer competition going on in a deplorable arab desert somewhere.

It made me think, because in soccer we have all these nephews also claiming that their generation players are GOAT, but they're not.

Here's my top 10 GOAT list of footballers. I began watching football before basketball, so I can go all the way back to the 80s on this one, not going to go into Cruyf or Pele etc:

1. Diego Maradona
2. (Johann Cruyf)
3. Zinedine Zidane
4. (Pele)
5. Ronaldo
6. Christiano Ronaldo
7. Lionel Messi
8. Ronaldinho
9. Michael Laudrup
10. Romario

not a bad list.

i always cringe when i hear ppl call Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo the goat. Messi isn't even the best player to come out of his country. and CR7 isn't even the best Ronaldo.

90sgoat
11-29-2022, 02:44 PM
not a bad list.

i always cringe when i hear ppl call Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo the goat. Messi isn't even the best player to come out of his country. and CR7 isn't even the best Ronaldo.

C. Ronaldo has the best case of the two, but with Messi, what was really cringe was how people were so quick to coronate him as the best ever early in his career.

Imagine being called the GOAT and only winning the Copa America once as your only national team achievement.

Ronaldo won the Euro championships which is a huge achievement for a team like Portugal.

Hey Yo
11-29-2022, 03:06 PM
not a bad list.

Not surprised you're a fan. Everyone loves a nailbiting tie, chico

:lol

Round Mound
11-29-2022, 04:02 PM

1. Diego Maradona
2. (Johann Cruyf)
3. Zinedine Zidane
4. (Pele)
5. Ronaldo
6. Christiano Ronaldo
7. Lionel Messi
8. Ronaldinho
9. Michael Laudrup
10. Romario

Romario was like the Barkley of soccer. Short but too much talent and skill. One of the best offensive players but couldn't defend very well.

nineiron
11-29-2022, 04:22 PM
Not surprised you're a fan. Everyone loves a nailbiting tie, chico

:lol

no ties in the knock out rounds, chico.

and GLAD to see that you're not a fan.

ArbitraryWater
11-29-2022, 04:30 PM
not a bad list.

You've never watched a full match non WC in your life.

Hey Yo
11-29-2022, 04:40 PM
no ties in the knock out rounds, chico.

and GLAD to see that you're not a fan.

So let me get this straight. You constantly call James a flopper who fakes injuries, yet you stan a sport where the entire premise is to deceive the refs by flopping, flailing like a fish out of water faking injury, while screaming in agony as if you're dying a slow death from a touch to the shin or not even being touched at all.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

You can't make this shit up.

nineiron
11-29-2022, 04:55 PM
So let me get this straight. You constantly call James a flopper who fakes injuries, yet you stan a sport where the entire premise is to deceive the refs by flopping, flailing like a fish out of water faking injury, while screaming in agony as if you're dying a slow death from a touch to the shin or not even being touched at all.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

You can't make this shit up.

just because you don't see guys getting cleats in their ankles or getting stepped on, doesn't mean it didn't happen. it hurts like hell at the beginning but the pain subsides fairly quickly.

yes, there are certain players that make a mockery of it (eg. CR7), but generally it isn't that bad.

Airupthere
11-29-2022, 05:04 PM
Not defending flopping at all, but at least in the field it makes sense why they would need to exaggerate flopping. In basketball though...

90sgoat
11-29-2022, 05:53 PM
Romario was like the Barkley of soccer. Short but too much talent and skill. One of the best offensive players but couldn't defend very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HS1B_2jzCo

ArbitraryWater
11-29-2022, 06:17 PM

Couldn‘t defend very well?

Lolol

That‘s not a serious critique for any striker/offensive midfielder

dankok8
11-29-2022, 06:24 PM
Pele, Maradona and Messi in some order. Different eras so pretty hard to compare them.

90sgoat
11-29-2022, 06:54 PM
Couldn‘t defend very well?

Lolol

That‘s not a serious critique for any striker/offensive midfielder

In modern football I think this is an ok critique, since the attacker is expected to run a lot more on defense than in Romarios time.

dankok8
11-29-2022, 07:55 PM
In modern football I think this is an ok critique, since the attacker is expected to run a lot more on defense than in Romarios time.

No they don't. Defense is pretty much irrelevant for forwards and even offensive midfielders.

LeCola
11-29-2022, 08:00 PM
Ronaldo and Jordan.

4 CL titles in 5 years and 6 NBA titles in 6 Finals.

:bowdown:

nineiron
11-29-2022, 08:01 PM
No they don't. Defense is pretty much irrelevant for forwards and even offensive midfielders.

depends on your definition of 'defense'

they forecheck, that could be considered defense.

90sgoat
11-29-2022, 08:11 PM

They do play defense, but not by tackling, but they are the first defender in that many pressure ball handlers and ocassionally run back and help defend, but this is very dependant on team and coach.

In Romarios time, it was fully acceptable for a striker to just stand around when the opponent had the ball. That does happen, but not as much, most strikers run more.

SouBeachTalents
11-29-2022, 08:16 PM
Porzingis. Has the GOAT peak today and is also one of the soccer GOAT's

90sgoat
11-29-2022, 08:25 PM
Porzingis. Has the GOAT peak today and is also one of the soccer GOAT's

Could have been a good goalie perhaps.

Round Mound
11-29-2022, 10:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HS1B_2jzCo

:bowdown::banana::applause::rockon::cheers:

Lee
11-30-2022, 02:39 AM
1. Diego Maradona
2. Ronaldo ( Brazil)
3. Zinedine Zidane
4. Pele
5. Johann Cruyff
6. Franz Beckenbauer
7. Roberto Baggio
8. GARRINCHA
9. GERD MULLER
10. FERENC PUSKAS

Heavily weighted world cup performances.

dankok8
11-30-2022, 11:23 AM
They do play defense, but not by tackling, but they are the first defender in that many pressure ball handlers and ocassionally run back and help defend, but this is very dependant on team and coach.

In Romarios time, it was fully acceptable for a striker to just stand around when the opponent had the ball. That does happen, but not as much, most strikers run more.

Sure in some systems strikers press and stuff and some will help in aerial duels defending corner kicks for example but saying a forward doesn't play defense in football is a weird criticism. It would be like blaming a point guard for not grabbing more rebounds.

nineiron
11-30-2022, 11:44 AM
Sure in some systems strikers press and stuff and some will help in aerial duels defending corner kicks for example but saying a forward doesn't play defense in football is a weird criticism. It would be like blaming a point guard for not grabbing more rebounds.

Ben Simmons and Magic say hi

dankok8
11-30-2022, 11:49 AM
Ben Simmons and Magic say hi

So does Russell Westbrook. No one in their right mind would seriously criticize a point guard for not grabbing rebounds.

nineiron
11-30-2022, 12:25 PM
So does Russell Westbrook. No one in their right mind would seriously criticize a point guard for not grabbing rebounds.

depends on how tall they are, doesn't it?

no one would criticize Ben Simmons for averaging 2 rebounds?

Baller789
11-30-2022, 10:38 PM
Surprised not many Ronaldo and Messi fanboys here.

Hey Yo
11-30-2022, 11:06 PM
Surprised not many Ronaldo and Messi fanboys here.

Not surprised you're a Soccer fan.

Baller789
11-30-2022, 11:19 PM
Not surprised you're a Soccer fan.

Surprised that there are plenty of sports besides basketball? :roll:

Hey Yo
11-30-2022, 11:26 PM
See post 14..... fits you perfect along with your other jabronies.

Baller789
11-30-2022, 11:45 PM
See post 14..... fits you perfect along with your other jabronies.

:whatever: