PDA

View Full Version : Give me your bold and specific predictions of the near future.

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 10:58 AM
Not generic “Celtics win a title in the next 5 years” shit. I want “Was he a time traveler?” specifics.

I only have one in my time here and that was correctly predicting the Heat did the Jermaine O’Neal trade to clear cap space to sign 3 max players because Riley had the foresight to see that’s the new way to build.

This one might be less likely but I legit believe it’s gonna happen….

you remember how the US men’s national team agreed to simply split revenue with the women’s team because they made so much more money? For example, the males team win over Iran made them more money than the women’s team made by winning the last two world cups. We all know why. The World Cup is unbelievably popular and the females is less so. But whatever we aren’t allowed to acknowledge that….

Anyway. Here is what I think happens with the wnba.

In a year or so Griner gets released and there’s the whole celebration and we hear about how nobody in the top tier of pro American basketball should have to go overseas to make money in the first place. This will be as the league and players are really into the new cba discussions and factoring in the new rights deal that is gonna explode contracts even more than the jump that saw Conley get 150 we we had never heard of even superstars getting near that.

The owners both wanting the PR win and to prevent the massive jump in max contracts that will have them paying some injured star $390 million to not play….will allow 2 more expansion teams, increase roster size to 17ish, and….offer to fold wnba players into the nba cba.

One big contract that spreads the money across the extra 150 players along with the new teams and added roster spots.

Player salaries would still go up but not by nearly as much. Nobody would have a 480 million dollar contract which is entirely possible in 4-5 years. As it stands today some guys extensions are gonna pay them 67 million by the end. Booker and Jokic could get that with rising revenue.

Why wouldn’t the nba publicly offer that? The players would be under immense pressure. They all talk up the wnba but if they don’t agree to split money they would look like Liam Neeson in the GOAT hypocrisy clip here

https://youtu.be/fBW2i7Jbefw

“Pay cut? No…no no no no no that’s going TOO far.”

Hilarious. And the very clip that will go viral when they refuse. They will have to bend the knee and agree and hope it gains them concessions elsewhere.

Thats my wild prediction.

Give me yours. Doesn’t have to be long or anything I just want specifics. Something you can really latch onto if it comes true.

Go.

Xiao Yao You
11-30-2022, 11:07 AM
Rosters should be closer to 25 players per team. Two teams still need a Gleague team and you'd have a real minor league. Your prospects play in the Gleague until they are ready for the show and vets are on the NBA roster like hockey or baseball. Much better product than having 19 year olds that aren't ready and their team doesn't care because they want to lose games

ArbitraryWater
11-30-2022, 11:10 AM
that video :roll::roll::roll::roll:

how have I never seen it

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 11:15 AM
that video :roll::roll::roll::roll:

how have I never seen it

Isnt is just…beautiful? It’s as if he set out to give a video enabled dictionary a real world example of being a hypocrite. It’s perfect.

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 11:17 AM
Rosters should be closer to 25 players per team. Two teams still need a Gleague team and you'd have a real minor league. Your prospects play in the Gleague until they are ready for the show and vets are on the NBA roster like hockey or baseball. Much better product than having 19 year olds that aren't ready and their team doesn't care because they want to lose games

I could see the owners trying to make more contracts two way and factor them into the revenue. They’ll try anything I’m sure. And for once I have to take the side of the tycoons. You can’t sign a guy to a $490 million contract and he just decides to stop working hard or that his mild nagging injury is reason enough for you to pay him $95 million not to play this season. That’s tough even if you have the money to pay it. Imagine paying John Wall or Kwahi 93 million a year.

Real Men Wear Green
11-30-2022, 11:20 AM
Kevin Durant will not finish the season with Brooklyn. He will renew his trade demand within a few weeks of the deadline and Brooklyn will send him back to the Warriors for a package of their underachieving recent lottery picks Draymond Green and a few future firsts.

ArbitraryWater
11-30-2022, 11:24 AM
Isnt is just…beautiful? It’s as if he set out to give a video enabled dictionary a real world example of being a hypocrite. It’s perfect.

I thought it was a sketch for a second :lol

How does he think equal pay would work? Just create more money, out of nowhere? :lol

Btw I don't actually think it's an issue. Especially not in Hollywood.

Besides the fact they're all extremely privileged/fortunate/overpaid, every actor plays a different role. No one does the same job.

If a man happens to be a bigger draw than a woman, then he gets paid more.

If a woman is a bigger draw than a man, it would be stupid to short her and potentially lose her or overpay someone else that could be had for less of a price in the form of someone else.

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 11:44 AM
Funny as it is, I do understand why even high paid labor doesn’t feel like they should bear the burden of equal pay. Not like a movie budget is based on rigidly set percentages of revenue like sports contracts. I can see why he would feel he shouldn’t have to essentially finance increased pay for coworkers, so the billionaire financial backers don’t have to do it. He just worded it so poorly he loses the argument.

I recently saw an interview on some B list star from the 90s whose name I can’t even remember. Might be Christian Slater. Whoever it was he was asked to come back for a sequel to a surprise hit that had like a 10 million budget but made over 100 million and they want him to take a pay cut because, the other people wanted more money because they were under paid on the first one and he was the star.

His point was that the studio made insane profit on the first one, so why can’t they use that to finance the second one instead of essentially asking him to pay his coworkers to make a movie. He was right but you look bad saying you won’t take less for the little guy who got screwed last time.

public perception wins those battles not logic. Which is exactly why I suspect Brittney Griner is going to be making $27 million in 2026.

Real Men Wear Green
11-30-2022, 11:51 AM
The gap between profit and payment is too great for Griner to get 27 mil. To force the NBA players to sacrifice that much profit owners would have to send them into strike or at least close and they don't care that much about paying WNBA players more, if they did they would be paying them more. That level of change requires that they care enough to have a fight over it and this isn't making them money so they won't.

But they could start getting unprofitable 5 mil contracts. A few of them.

Xiao Yao You
11-30-2022, 11:56 AM
I would stop paying unproven prospects millions in guaranteed money. That would seem like something that players who have already been paid could agree on. You get drafted. You are a Gleaguer until proven otherwise. You make the NBA you get paid. If you don't like it stay in college with your NIL deal or stay abroad. The game was a lot better before the vet minimum and kids who weren't ready were taking roster spots from proven NBA vets

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 11:59 AM
When you’re the president of the players union and your chief negotiator is a black woman which last I checked it was and Mark Cuban, Michael Jordan, and company call a press conference and call for equal pay while Brittney Griner is on her media tour after being released I’ll let them know they can forward questions to you because nobody in the union will have the balls to say a word against it.

And just wait till somebody asks LeBron about it. He’s going to be the most vocal supporter because the future CBA isn’t going to harm him. In fact, somehow someway he’s going to end up the front facing(though minority) owner of a team in the next 10 years. It’s in his best interest to support it. Same for Stephen Curry and Durant, who both have mentioned wanting ownership. You’re going to have the owners on the same side as the most powerful players in the league pushing for equal pay side by side with Griner and Kamala Harris, and whoever comes out against it will be torn to shreds.

Xiao Yao You
11-30-2022, 12:10 PM
“I don’t think I should get paid the same as LeBron,” Plum said. “But the percentage of revenue — like for example: they sell my jersey in Mandalay Bay, I don’t get a dime. (https://justwomenssports.com/wnba-basketball-kelsey-plum-revenue-sharing-pay-gap/) So that’s the stuff we’re talking about.” Players won’t be able to negotiate for those changes until 2025, which is when the current CBA expires. But given the recent growth of the league, the WNBA landscape could look a lot different by then. “We’re young. We’re only 25 years in, the NBA is at 100,” she said. “Where we’re at, at 25, we’re way past where the NBA was. We don’t forget that though, we compare where we’re at now to where the NBA is now.
– via Emma Hruby @ justwomenssports.com (https://justwomenssports.com/wnba-basketball-kelsey-plum-revenue-sharing-pay-gap/)

Las Vegas Aces star Kelsey Plum wants to correct the narrative around the WNBA’s fight for equal pay. WNBA players aren’t looking for the same salaries as their NBA counterparts. They’re looking to earn an equal percentage of their league’s shared revenue, as Plum said Monday on The Residency Podcast. “We’re not asking to get paid what the men get paid,” she said. “We’re asking to get paid the same percentage of revenue shared.” She called the idea that the WNBA players want to get paid the same amount as NBA players a “huge misconception.” “In the NBA, they have percentages of revenue shared for the players — so, jersey sales, obviously their TV contracts,” Plum said. (https://justwomenssports.com/wnba-basketball-kelsey-plum-revenue-sharing-pay-gap/) “But that’s because their CBA negotiates, where the owners are making certain types of money, [the players] get that as well. In the WNBA, that’s not the case.”
– via Emma Hruby @ justwomenssports.com (https://justwomenssports.com/wnba-basketball-kelsey-plum-revenue-sharing-pay-gap/)

Real Men Wear Green
11-30-2022, 01:07 PM
When you’re the president of the players union and your chief negotiator is a black woman which last I checked it was and Mark Cuban, Michael Jordan, and company call a press conference and call for equal pay while Brittney Griner is on her media tour after being released I’ll let them know they can forward questions to you because nobody in the union will have the balls to say a word against it.

And just wait till somebody asks LeBron about it. He’s going to be the most vocal supporter because the future CBA isn’t going to harm him. In fact, somehow someway he’s going to end up the front facing(though minority) owner of a team in the next 10 years. It’s in his best interest to support it. Same for Stephen Curry and Durant, who both have mentioned wanting ownership. You’re going to have the owners on the same side as the most powerful players in the league pushing for equal pay side by side with Griner and Kamala Harris, and whoever comes out against it will be torn to shreds.

The NBA players union president would be doing her job poorly if she did something that would cost her clients hundreds of millions of dollars per year unless they directly told her that they want this. She probably has feminist beliefs but this isn't just about politics or social justice this is a billion dollar business. So unless the WNBA players union is fully merged with the NBA players union doing this would be one of the worst moves in terms of business and helping their constituents that an NBPA head could ever do.

I don't know how hard she is willing to ride for the equal pay cause but just talking business what he job is to do is to make the players money. If she needs to she can justify it to critics by saying that the NBA union is sympathetic to the WNBA cause but they should not be the ones footing the bill.

Also don't see why the owners would pick this fight. Even if they can fuel some woke movement for equal pay that unlike most equal pay scenarios the WNBA doesn't make a thousandth of what the NBA does the owners would not be able to put the entire burden of WNBA player pay increase on NBA players. They would have to cut into their profits as well or else NBA players should have Robert's fired immediately. Are they going to want to pay our even more money for the sake of a cause they don't care about? WNBA pay is a can of worms the owners have avoided owning since the league was created. Griner's freedom won't change that.

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 01:45 PM
Like everything else it comes down to appearances. On the brink of a major rights deal is the only time you can genuinely make the argument that a vote against this is players, not giving up money, but refusing to accept slightly smaller raise in the name of something they all publicly support. The rights deal is rumored to go from 25 billion to 75. But if it’s even 50? The available money would greatly outdistance the extra players added to the pie they split. It could easily be said it isn’t the players giving up money. It’s the players choosing to share some of the additional available funds while still getting bigger checks than previously. That’s a hard argument to win in public.

Especially when I as the owners rep call Michelle Obama, Vanessa Bryant and Kobe’s living daughters, Kamala Harris, Britney Griner, Lebron, KD, and Steph all of whom have zero to lose on a cba impacting future contracts they won’t be here for but benefit from more spread out money as owners?

I will project Kobe talking about being a proud girl dad onto the side of the players union office on espn. I will have a montage with Kobe and Gigi studying and the matching fadeaways and all. I will have speakers talking about the dreams of little girls like Gigi. I will read a list of every prominent nba players daughters who are into sports and say now is the time to give them an avenue to reach the places their fathers were allowed.

I will tug heart strings and for once…the billionaires will look like the good guy over all “But why not pay them out of your end?” noise. I’d have 10 year old girls asking why if you won’t give up some of yours…you can’t at least take a smaller raise for what’s right? I would buy the rights to the Liam clip and edit your opposing members onto his head and get it trending on Twitter.

You might not agree with what we would be saying but I’d dare you to say it in front of the cameras I’d have in your face.

It won’t be “right” but you wouldn’t win that argument.

Real Men Wear Green
11-30-2022, 02:11 PM
You sacrifice a few dollars for appearances, not hundreds of millions. You are effectively saying that a potential highly cynical social justice movement that will bring negative press removes the responsibility for Michelle Roberts to do her job. If the NBPA was actually willing to pay a non lawyer a million a year to be the bad guy and make the case for not accepting this enormous payout then sure I would do it, but I doubt I would be qualified. Robert's on the other hand is qualified and is a lawyer (or something) with the necessary background to engage in ugly negotiations. They aren't just going to take the loss of potentially hundreds of millions or even billions of the deal is long and big enough. So long as a stadium designed to hold 15 thousand people only had 500 this isn't going to happen for the WNBA. A significant part of equal pay for equal work arguments is the fact that if Kmart has two cashiers that both ring up fifty customers per hour there's no reason to pay one 12 per hour and the other 16. That's where the whole unfairness argument comes into play. For NBA and WNBA players the money being made off of their labor is so far off of that I literally have no idea what the scale would be. I have heard (it may not be true) that the WNBA in fact loses money. If the owners presented this scenario (and they absolutely will not) the first thing Robert's will do is demand they own up their books and fully audit the profitability of every WNBA team. They will have to establish that this huge chunk of money needs to come out of the NBA player pocket and go into the WNBA pocket and that the lions share of it should not have to come out of owners. How are owners going to abandon this idea without sacrificing a large chunk of their profits as well? If they can pull that off the NBA might as well not even have a union.

WNBA pay will most likely improve but no one in the current generation of players is getting 27 mil, that won't happen until that league has much stronger popularity. If the whole league generates a net 0 revenue no one in that league is getting paid like that.

Xiao Yao You
11-30-2022, 02:15 PM
You sacrifice a few dollars for appearances, not hundreds of millions. You are effectively saying that a potential highly cynical social justice movement that will bring negative press removes the responsibility for Michelle Roberts to do her job. If the NBPA was actually willing to pay a non lawyer a million a year to be the bad guy and make the case for not accepting this enormous pay raise then sure I would do it, but I doubt I would be qualified. Robert's on the other hand is qualified and is a lawyer (or something) with the necessary background to engage in ugly negotiations. They aren't just going to take the loss of potentially hundreds of millions or even billions of the deal is long and big enough. So long as a stadium designed to hold 15 thousand people only had 500 this isn't going to happen for the WNBA. A significant part of equal pay for equal work arguments is the fact that if Kmart has two cashiers that both ring up fifty customers per hour there's no reason to pay one 12 per hour and the other 16. That's where the whole unfairness argument comes into play. For NBA and WNBA players the money being made off of their labor is so far off of that I literally have no idea what the scale would be. I have heard (it may not be true) that the WNBA in fact loses money. If the owners presented this scenario (and they absolutely will not) the first thing Robert's will do is demand they own up their books and fully audit the profitability of every WNBA team. They will have to establish that this huge chunk of money needs to come out of the NBA player pocket and go into the WNBA pocket and that the lions share of it should not have to come out of owners. How are owners going to abandon this idea without sacrificing a large chunk of their profits as well? If they can pull that off the NBA might as well not even have a union.

WNBA pay will most likely improve but no one in the current generation of players is getting 27 mil, that won't happen until that league has much stronger popularity. If the whole league generates a net 0 revenue no one in that league is getting paid like that.

most of the kids trolling these pages probably don't know what a Kmart was. No not Kenyon Martin youngins

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 02:30 PM
You’re trying to win an argument with logic that won’t even consider what’s logical. There’s no reason for the men’s soccer team to take a 50/50 split with women it’s just social pressure.

And they couldn’t exert a tenth of the social pressure a good media team could on the nba. Oh and I just found that Roberts is gone. Guess who they gave the job to?

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2211302357170116.jpeg

Send her to argue with Michelle Obama, Vanessa Bryant, and so on that the nba players can’t take a smaller increase to salary to fold their wnba sisters into the deal. Not take a pay cut. Accept a smaller raise.

Make that case on sports center. Hell I’d spring it on you in breast cancer awareness month with everyone wearing pink.

Id be downright villainous.

Xiao Yao You
11-30-2022, 02:32 PM
Guess Kmart still exists. They are gone from this landscape

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 02:35 PM
The only one that was left around here turned to one of those Bin stores.

Hey Yo
11-30-2022, 02:39 PM
Ours closed about 10-12yrs ago. Turned into a lumber warehouse.

Axe
11-30-2022, 02:48 PM
Lavine may get traded all of a sudden. Who knows.

Real Men Wear Green
11-30-2022, 02:49 PM
It's a lawyer's job to be the villain. And what men and women's soccer get paid is a different argument because of how much more popular women's soccer is for team USA. Is there an American male soccer player more popular than Mia Hamm? Is it even remotely possible to apply a sentence like that to Rebecca Lobo? In fact if you are talking about team USA the NBA players aren't even paid they do it for publicity patriotism fun or whatever other reason. The equivalent would be discussing what our pro soccer leagues pay men vs women...men have MLS and women have something that I don't know what it is. And I am not knowledgeable about MLS either if you have me tickets to see the Revolution I still wouldn't go because I don't feel like bothering to drive or to Gillette. Because of American attitudes towards sports women soccer players are actually popular than men and no one cares about the WNBA. That's just our culture.

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 02:54 PM
I think the women’s equivalent to the MLS got caught up in a massive scandal recently with a lot of abuse. I don’t know many details, but I’ve seen some prominent women in sports who are part of the ownership groups looking downright embarrassed. I think Sarah Spain might own one of those things or at least be involved in one and she was outraged.

Xiao Yao You
11-30-2022, 03:02 PM
It's a lawyer's job to be the villain. And what men and women's soccer get paid is a different argument because of how much more popular women's soccer is for team USA. Is there an American male soccer player more popular than Mia Hamm? Is it even remotely possible to apply a sentence like that to Rebecca Lobo? In fact if you are talking about team USA the NBA players aren't even paid they do it for publicity patriotism fun or whatever other reason. The equivalent would be discussing what our pro soccer leagues pay men vs women...men have MLS and women have something that I don't know what it is. And I am not knowledgeable about MLS either if you have me tickets to see the Revolution I still wouldn't go because I don't feel like bothering to drive or to Gillette. Because of American attitudes towards sports women soccer players are actually popular than men and no one cares about the WNBA. That's just our culture.

no one cares about soccer do they?

Kblaze8855
11-30-2022, 03:10 PM
Soccer has supposedly surpassed mlb and Hockey on American fanhood but the salaries don’t back it up yet.

Real Men Wear Green
11-30-2022, 03:11 PM
no one cares about soccer do they?
I didn't exactly say that. I will say that no one cares about American pro leagues but we do support our World Cup teams. International success is the reason why our women are more popular than our men and why our women were able to get equal pay because the average American sports fan in fact liked the women's team more because theyare/were winners. Let men's soccer continue to succed in the Cup and they will catch up...but I expect them to be done soon. Not because I have deep soccer insight (I am a typical American sports fan in this regard) but just because we aren't used to the men succeeding. Unlike other countries our best athletes don't play soccer.

Xiao Yao You
11-30-2022, 03:14 PM
I didn't exactly say that. I will say that no one cares about American pro leagues but we do support our World Cup teams. International success is the reason why our women are more popular than our men and why our women were able to get equal pay because the average American sports fan in fact liked the women's team more because theyare/were winners. Let men's soccer continue to succed in the Cup and they will catch up...but I expect them to be done soon. Not because I have deep soccer insight (I am a typical American sports fan in this regard) but just because we aren't used to the men succeeding. Unlike other countries our best athletes don't play soccer.

making it to the 2nd round is a huge success for men's soccer

Real Men Wear Green
11-30-2022, 03:21 PM
making it to the 2nd round is a huge success for men's soccer
I'm sure it is but because we're America our standard for everything is Gold. If you want to argue with me that the current team deserves support you can save yourself some time I hope they do well even though I have only watched the last minutes vs Britain. I just don't care enough to disrupt my daily routine to watch them. When it comes to soccer the most interesting thing to me right now is how they have the World Cup in Qatar when there is so much going on in that country that the "enlightened" world normally claims to hate. They have all actually forced soccer players from the various teams to stop wearing the gay right supporting arm bands. That's wild to me given how much more liberal our cultures have become but it shows that money is till the most important thing.

Overdrive
11-30-2022, 04:29 PM
Not generic “Celtics win a title in the next 5 years” shit. I want “Was he a time traveler?” specifics.

I only have one in my time here and that was correctly predicting the Heat did the Jermaine O’Neal trade to clear cap space to sign 3 max players because Riley had the foresight to see that’s the new way to build.

This one might be less likely but I legit believe it’s gonna happen….

you remember how the US men’s national team agreed to simply split revenue with the women’s team because they made so much more money? For example, the males team win over Iran made them more money than the women’s team made by winning the last two world cups. We all know why. The World Cup is unbelievably popular and the females is less so. But whatever we aren’t allowed to acknowledge that….

Anyway. Here is what I think happens with the wnba.

In a year or so Griner gets released and there’s the whole celebration and we hear about how nobody in the top tier of pro American basketball should have to go overseas to make money in the first place. This will be as the league and players are really into the new cba discussions and factoring in the new rights deal that is gonna explode contracts even more than the jump that saw Conley get 150 we we had never heard of even superstars getting near that.

The owners both wanting the PR win and to prevent the massive jump in max contracts that will have them paying some injured star $390 million to not play….will allow 2 more expansion teams, increase roster size to 17ish, and….offer to fold wnba players into the nba cba.

One big contract that spreads the money across the extra 150 players along with the new teams and added roster spots.

Player salaries would still go up but not by nearly as much. Nobody would have a 480 million dollar contract which is entirely possible in 4-5 years. As it stands today some guys extensions are gonna pay them 67 million by the end. Booker and Jokic could get that with rising revenue.

Why wouldn’t the nba publicly offer that? The players would be under immense pressure. They all talk up the wnba but if they don’t agree to split money they would look like Liam Neeson in the GOAT hypocrisy clip here

https://youtu.be/fBW2i7Jbefw

“Pay cut? No…no no no no no that’s going TOO far.”

Hilarious. And the very clip that will go viral when they refuse. They will have to bend the knee and agree and hope it gains them concessions elsewhere.

Thats my wild prediction.

Give me yours. Doesn’t have to be long or anything I just want specifics. Something you can really latch onto if it comes true.

Go.

Barring a miracle or a lopsided diplomatic move Griner will rot in some gulag.

Kblaze8855
12-08-2022, 09:31 AM
It’s all coming together.

Kblaze8855
12-27-2022, 04:04 PM
I just saw Mark Jackson talking about the need to find a way for WNBA players to make enough to not have to go overseas and the reporter directly referenced the soccer situation and asked if that was the solution. To be clear he said it wasn’t the way to go but it’s out in the universe now.