PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lowe: Not a single person I can find thinks the Toody trade was good for Wolves

RRR3
12-05-2022, 10:45 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/zce0qe/zach_lowe_says_hes_not_been_able_to_find_a_single/

The French Bidet is a league wide joke.

Real Men Wear Green
12-05-2022, 10:54 AM
He has value its just hard to be worth five first round picks/pick swaps. If you put him on some bad team with athletic guys who hustle you could make the playoffs on a defense first philosophy. But if you're focus is playoff success and not just making the playoffs you wil encounter a team that can take advantage of a big that struggles outside of the paint.

Anyway...I am contractually obligated to remind the world that you never make a trade with Ainge. Just don't do it. If he calls your front office you should change everyone's number. Stay away.

Kblaze8855
12-05-2022, 10:58 AM
I’d have to go down a list to be sure but it’s looking like all the “One guy for a massive haul” trades are won by the massive haul side.

It’s always a team that proved he couldn’t win trading a star. If you can’t win anyway why not get 3 young players and 5 picks?

Youre trading guaranteed failure for unknown chances and a lot of opportunities to take a swing for the fences.

You could argue every star over like 27 on a team more than one piece away should be traded for all you can get.

When you think about it…what the hell are the Bulls doing with Lavine? What is Dame gonna do in Portland? Beal in Washington?

When you CANT win but your best player will win you too many games for high picks what are you really…shooting for?

Is a second round loss that coveted?

I understand that it might be from the point of view of a coach or gm on the hot seat but I mean from ownership on down.

I can see why people who have to win to stay employed stick with people who make them at least respectable.

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 11:03 AM
can't quit me

RRR3
12-05-2022, 11:05 AM
I’d have to go down a list to be sure but it’s looking like all the “One guy for a massive haul” trades are won by the massive haul side.

It’s always a team that proved he couldn’t win trading a star. If you can’t win anyway why not get 3 young players and 5 picks?

Youre trading guaranteed failure for unknown chances and a lot of opportunities to take a swing for the fences.

You could argue every star over like 27 on a team more than one piece away should be traded for all you can get.

When you think about it…what the hell are the Bulls doing with Lavine? What is Dame gonna do in Portland? Beal in Washington?

When you CANT win but your best player will win you too many games for high picks what are you really…shooting for?

I understand that it might be from the point of view of a coach or gm on the hot seat but I mean from ownership on down.

I can see why people who have to win to stay employed stick with people who make them at least respectable.
Dame has gotten to the WCF. And he’s actually useful in the playoffs unlike Dauphin Dampier.

Kblaze8855
12-05-2022, 11:14 AM
Dame has gotten to the WCF. And he’s actually useful in the playoffs unlike Dauphin Dampier.

And how will that appearance four or five years ago, help the team now and in the future more than five draft picks and three good prospects?

RRR3
12-05-2022, 11:15 AM
And how will that appearance four or five years ago, help the team now and in the future more than five draft picks and three good prospects?
It won’t I just didn’t think it was a fair comparison. Would be like comparing Marcus Camby to Paul Pierce.

AirBonner
12-05-2022, 11:50 AM
I’m glad the name “French Bidet” is catching on

WhiteKyrie
12-05-2022, 12:38 PM
He’s just a shot blocking presence. That’s it. In an increasingly shrinking league. Can’t do much else.

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 04:07 PM
He has value its just hard to be worth five first round picks/pick swaps. If you put him on some bad team with athletic guys who hustle you could make the playoffs on a defense first philosophy. But if you're focus is playoff success and not just making the playoffs you wil encounter a team that can take advantage of a big that struggles outside of the paint.

Anyway...I am contractually obligated to remind the world that you never make a trade with Ainge. Just don't do it. If he calls your front office you should change everyone's number. Stay away.

He'd be great on the current Jazz with guys playing hard at both ends and sharing the ball. Jazz are struggling protecting the paint and rebounding not surprisingly. Only thing he can't do outside the paint is shoot. We've yet see a team built around his skills. They were on that path before Hayward bailed. They tried again with Conley but the backcourt was too small and not enough guys wanted to play both ends of the court and a couple guys that didn't care much for sharing the rock. A coach that wouldn't make playoff adjustments was the death nail for them regardless

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 04:09 PM

Not sure how failure is guaranteed. They won two series as the underdog, They lost one as the top seed but they certainly weren't the best team

RRR3
12-05-2022, 04:10 PM
The death of the Jazz was toody’s dismal offense and inability to switch

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 04:10 PM
I’m glad the name “French Bidet” is catching on

yeah trolls have caught on. You should feel real proud of the company :roll:

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 04:13 PM
He’s just a shot blocking presence. That’s it. In an increasingly shrinking league. Can’t do much else.

He is elite defensively. He is the rebounding champ. He's the most relentless screen setter in the league. He's an elite roller to the rim. His impact has been huge at both ends so yeah other than being one of the best in the league he can't do much :facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
12-05-2022, 04:21 PM
He'd be great on the current Jazz with guys playing hard at both ends and sharing the ball. Jazz are struggling protecting the paint and rebounding not surprisingly. Only thing he can't do outside the paint is shoot. We've yet see a team built around his skills. They were on that path before Hayward bailed. They tried again with Conley but the backcourt was too small and not enough guys wanted to play both ends of the court and a couple guys that didn't care much for sharing the rock. A coach that wouldn't make playoff adjustments was the death nail for them regardlessI'm not going to argue right now about whether or not he is worth building a team around...instead I will just point out that no one will build a team around him. Not just "would" build a team around him. I am saying that it will not happen, ever. No NBA team will ever view him as more than a role player that is used to build around someone else. He belongs in the NBA without a doubt but the Wolves are asking themselves who Edwards needs around him for them to win, not who is best to compliment Gobert.

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 04:24 PM
I'm not going to argue right now about whether or not he is worth building a team around...instead I will just point out that no one will build a team around him. Not just "would" build a team around him. I am saying that it will not happen, ever. No NBA team will ever view him as more than a role player that is used to build around someone else. He belongs in the NBA without a doubt but the Wolves are asking themselves who Edwards needs around him for them to win, not who is best to compliment Gobert.

they should be looking to build around Edwards but he certainly hasn't looked like he's ready for that responsibility yet which is why Gobert is there in the first place. Role players and all NBA players are different

Real Men Wear Green
12-05-2022, 04:29 PM
they should be looking to build around Edwards but he certainly hasn't looked like he's ready for that responsibility yet which is why Gobert is there in the first place. Role players and all NBA players are different
Gobert is there because they thought a great defensive big was the complimentary piece that would put them at a Championship level. For all that they gave up to get him that may have been a fatal miscalculation. It's tough for one player to make up the value of 5+. If that player isn't a superstar borderline impossible. And it hurts more that Gobert may be a bad fit with Towns (they should give that at least a season to figure out, they traded too much to give up easily now).

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 04:41 PM
Gobert is there because they thought a great defensive big was the complimentary piece that would put them at a Championship level. For all that they gave up to get him that may have been a fatal miscalculation. It's tough for one player to make up the value of 5+. If that player isn't a superstar borderline impossible. And it hurts more that Gobert may be a bad fit with Towns (they should give that at least a season to figure out, they traded too much to give up easily now).

one of the worst franchises in basketball had a chance to get one of the leagues most impactful players. They were a bad rebounding team. They got one of the best rebounders of all time. There is no good reason they shouldn't be better offensively than the Jazz were with Rubio/Favors spotting up in the corner. They might not be as good defensively as those teams were but they have been good defensively with Gobert on the floor. I haven't seen enough of them to tell you what exactly there problems are. What I saw is a lot of potential and they need to figure it out. They are easily more talented than any Jazz team with Gobert. I like Towns but he's the guy I'd point at with his history. Will be intersting to see what happens while he is out

Proctor
12-05-2022, 05:45 PM
Nobody with a brain thought it would move the needle for the Wolves. Gobert is a decent roleplayer who has a greatly exaggerated impact and gets eaten alive in the playoffs, KAT is a little on the soft side as well and Edwards is a more athletic Dion Waiters. Does that scream "really good team" to anyone?

bison
12-05-2022, 05:52 PM
The problem was always mitchell. If they only had done the Cleveland deal and not the Minny deal, Jazz would have unleashed Gobert this season with the extra ball movement and pace (esp now that Clarkson is a top tier ball faciliator). Gobert was never gonna be a good fit in Minny. Clogs up the lane for Ant Edwards and moves KAT to the 4 where he is not as effective.

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 06:31 PM
The problem was always mitchell. If they only had done the Cleveland deal and not the Minny deal, Jazz would have unleashed Gobert this season with the extra ball movement and pace (esp now that Clarkson is a top tier ball faciliator). Gobert was never gonna be a good fit in Minny. Clogs up the lane for Ant Edwards and moves KAT to the 4 where he is not as effective.

Kat should be more effective as a weakside help defender when Gobert is pulled away from the rim. He doesn't have to be the main rim protector. He should get open 3's all day long with Gobert pressuring the rim. Edwards should benefit from Gobert screens. Can he run a pick and roll better than Mitchell? Towns looked good running the pick and roll from what I saw

Jazz should have gotten rid of Mitchell which probably wouldn't have been the Cavs deal if they'd kept Gobert. They would have looked for more proven vets. Clarkson and Bojan as well. The rest of the guys would have fit right in with Hardy but no guarantee he would have been here. COTM might still be here if they'd kept Gobert

90sgoat
12-05-2022, 06:35 PM
Trade him to the Mavs then.

Mavs wanted him but naturally didn't want to pay the price.

Mavs don't have all that much but THJ/Bertans/picks should do it.

Manny98
12-05-2022, 06:47 PM
Will go down as one of the dumbest trades in NBA history

Imagine giving all that for a Client Capela/DeAndre Jordan type big man who's good for nothing outside of rim running and setting screens :facepalm

Timberwolves are worse than they were last year cuz playing two Centers together In today's NBA doesn't really work

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 07:12 PM
Trade him to the Mavs then.

Mavs wanted him but naturally didn't want to pay the price.

Mavs don't have all that much but THJ/Bertans/picks should do it.

depending on what happens the next few weeks it might be Towns on the way out

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 07:13 PM
Will go down as one of the dumbest trades in NBA history

Imagine giving all that for a Client Capela/DeAndre Jordan type big man who's good for nothing outside of rim running and setting screens :facepalm

Timberwolves are worse than they were last year cuz playing two Centers together In today's NBA doesn't really work

the future HOF role player that doesn't do anything!

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 07:16 PM
Cleveland: Jarrett Allen (low back contusion) has been upgraded to questionable for Tuesday’s game (https://*********.com/lists/nba-injuries-tracker/) against LA Lakers.

– via Alberto De Roa @ ********* (https://*********.com/lists/nba-injuries-tracker/)

good news for Manny's MVP. He's been worthless with his rim runner as he has been his whole career

Manny98
12-05-2022, 08:32 PM
the future HOF role player that doesn't do anything!

Rudy is not making the HOF :roll:

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 08:37 PM
Rudy is not making the HOF :roll:

Would have to be the 1st 3 time DPOTY, 6 time all first team D, 4 time all NBAer not to. Going to be a tough future for the trolls

Kblaze8855
12-05-2022, 09:18 PM
He’s…not likely going to the hall of fame unless something changes. He’s not highly regarded enough. Eventually they stopped inducting guys for 20K points and they aren’t gonna let something arbitrary like number of DPOY decide it either. Sidney Moncrief took like 30 years and he was DPOY multiple times and all nba first team at a position that meant you’re elite. Not these days with guys like Deandre Jordan being first team.

Arent too many all nba types not in the hall but bet your ass a lot of the centers from this recent era going forward won’t be. The 90s are over. Being all nba at center? That isn’t too respected when Deandre Jordan can be first team like he was.

And what is he like a 3 time all star?

Maybe 4?

And no winning?

Eh.

Mutombo was an 8 time all star to go with his defensive accolades and did it in an era it was harder to make it as a big.

Centers have been so garbage they took their automatic spot to stop giving bums a chance. Just front and back court. Specifically to deny bad all star centers a chance once guys like Magloire, Theo Ratliff, Chandler, DJ and so on snuck in the back door and it seemed to get worse. Makes it harder to stack that accolade.

He doesn’t have too much to get the love of your peers that often keeps your name in the mix.

People were wondering why Moncrief wasn’t in. Who in the league now will be clamoring for Rudy in 20 years?

It seems players routinely say they’re unimpressed.

He’s gonna need to latch onto a winner I think.

It’s not impossible but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Some HOF company!

Similarity Scores Most similar performance arc through 9 seasons (Explanation (https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/similar.html))

Thru 9 years
Career

Thru 9 Years

Win Shares (Best to Worst)

Player
Sim

Rudy Gobert

Patrick Ewing (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/ewingpa01.html)

Bob Lanier (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/laniebo01.html)

Moses Malone (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonmo01.html)

Dwight Howard (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/howardw01.html)

Zelmo Beaty (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/beatyze01.html)

Nikola Jokić (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jokicni01.html)

Walt Bellamy (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bellawa01.html)

Ed Macauley (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/macaued01.html)

Wes Unseld (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/u/unselwe01.html)

Willis Reed (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/reedwi01.html)

RRR3
12-05-2022, 10:28 PM
I actually agree with Xiao that Rudy will make the HOF.

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 10:30 PM
can't quit me

Kblaze8855
12-05-2022, 10:30 PM
Aside from the 50s players there he’d have a chance to start over exactly one of those guys. Nobody working at the hall of fame gives a shit what a win share is. Bob Cousy was president for a while. Imagine him googling win share rankings though 9 years?

He just doesn’t have a traditional resume and doesn’t have half the traditional respect. He gets mocked in his prime like Dwight got mocked when he was on the Bobcats or something. He’s just not a highly respected player.

RRR3
12-05-2022, 10:31 PM
can't quit me
I was agreeing with you you weirdo

RRR3
12-05-2022, 10:32 PM
Aside from the 50s players there he’d have a chance to start over exactly one of those guys
Not really how it works. He's having a pretty similar career to Mutombo. He'll make it.

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 10:36 PM
Let's not forget his international resume which could include gold in the future with Victor and possibly Embiid joining him for the best front court in the world!

Kblaze8855
12-05-2022, 10:36 PM
I actually agree with Xiao that Rudy will make the HOF.

Depends on what happens from here. If he retired tomorrow, he would never make it. His career is Ben Wallace minus those 4-5 really deep playoff runs. If the Pistons kept losing early Ben wouldn’t be in either.

You need to win as a non traditional type of star.

Axe
12-05-2022, 10:39 PM
Let's not forget his international resume which could include gold in the future with Victor and possibly Embiid joining him for the best front court in the world!
He did a great dunk during last year's olympics.

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 10:40 PM
He did a great dunk during last year's olympics.

more importantly 2 points! :cheers:

RRR3
12-05-2022, 10:42 PM
Depends on what happens from here. If he retired tomorrow, he would never make it. His career is Ben Wallace minus those 4-5 really deep playoff runs. If the Pistons kept losing early Ben wouldn’t be in either.

You need to win as a non traditional type of star.
What did Mitch Richmond win? Or Lou Hudson? By the standards of the NBA HOF, he should make it. You can debate whether he'd make your personal HOF of course.

Kblaze8855
12-05-2022, 10:42 PM
Not really how it works. He's having a pretty similar career to Mutombo. He'll make it.

He’s having a similar career to Mutombo if he retired in like 1999. Mutombo is an 8 time all star. Same as Nash, Vince Carter, Steph, and Rick Barry. Rudy is 3 time like Larry Nance, Buck Williams, and Antione Walker.

He has more to do. He can do it obviously if he stays healthy and in a prominent position. But now?

Long shot now.

Kblaze8855
12-05-2022, 10:43 PM
What did Mitch Richmond win? Or Lou Hudson?

Are they non traditional type stars?

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 10:44 PM
He’s having a similar career to Mutombo if he retired in like 1999. Mutombo is an 8 time all star. Same as Nash, Vince Carter, Steph, and Rick Barry. Rudy is 3 time like Larry Nance, Buck Williams, and Antione Walker.

He had more to do. He can do it obviously if he stays healthy and in a prominent position. But now?

Long shot now.

like all star appearances mean anything when he should have made two others

RRR3
12-05-2022, 10:44 PM

He had more to do. He can do it obviously if he stays healthy and in a prominent position. But now?

Long shot now.
Fair point I think he probably cinches if it he gets two more all star games though.

Axe
12-05-2022, 10:46 PM
more importantly 2 points! :cheers:
Yup, HOF-worthy!

Kblaze8855
12-05-2022, 10:52 PM
like all star appearances mean anything when he should have made two others

If you think the kind of old sports reporters like Michael Wilbon, who get Hall of Fame votes are valuing something like win shares more than all star seasons, you arent thinking it through.

”He’s a 9 time all star” is probably in the first few words of an argument in favor in that room. Rings are probably the only thing that gets you further. I don’t see raptor or box plus minus coming up.

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 10:52 PM
Yup, HOF-worthy!

a generational defensive player

Axe
12-05-2022, 10:54 PM
a generational defensive player
And an offensively impactful player

Xiao Yao You
12-05-2022, 10:55 PM
And an offensively impactful player

yep. Elite screener, rim runner and offensive rebounder

Manny98
12-06-2022, 08:28 AM
yep. Elite screener, rim runner and offensive rebounder

DeAndre Jordan?

SATAN
12-06-2022, 09:20 AM
It's hilarious when even Kblaze has to chime in about Gobert.

Xiao is like the 3ball of the only Toody stan to ever exist.

Xiao Yao You
12-06-2022, 09:22 AM
DeAndre Jordan?

generational defender. Try again troll

Xiao Yao You
12-06-2022, 09:23 AM
It's hilarious when even Kblaze has to chime in about Gobert.

Xiao is like the 3ball of the only Toody stan to ever exist.

even Kblaze? Just another troll

Kblaze8855
12-06-2022, 09:36 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdorableUncomfortableIrishwolfhound-size_restricted.gif

“Breaking news. Unbelievably biased weirdo who has a 1000+ unbroken streak of posting only to himself in the Jazz forum thinks the many unaffiliated people from widely different backgrounds and fanhoods who think he’s crazy are in fact….the crazy ones….that everyone else walking this earth is the problem. In related news….terrorists believe they’re the good guys. More shocking revelations at 11 on “Well Duh: News…you didn’t need”.

Xiao Yao You
12-06-2022, 09:55 AM
See. You like the wrong player and you're called crazy. Just another troll

Kblaze8855
12-06-2022, 10:05 AM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2212061929200352.jpeg

“Extra edition! Well known nut job implies that liking something is tantamount to being an insufferable, one note, jackass so obviously unreasonable that people who otherwise agree on nothing can find common ground on the subject of his ridiculousness! Read all about it!”

SouBeachTalents
12-06-2022, 10:41 AM
He doesn't have close to the volume of posts, but Xiao is definitely as deranged as 3ball. You could argue he's even worse considering he literally posts by himself tens of thousands of times in the Jazz forum, while 3ball is at least trying to interact with other posters.

tontoz
12-06-2022, 10:48 AM
When you look at what Minny gave up:

The players the Jazz received in the Gobert trade include Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverley, Jarred Vanderbilt, Walker Kessler, and Leandro Bolmaro unprotected picks in 2023, 2025 and 2027, a top-five protected pick in 2029 and a 2026 swap

it is pretty jaw dropping. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during those negotiations.

Kblaze8855
12-06-2022, 10:56 AM
When you look at what Minny gave up:

it is pretty jaw dropping. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during those negotiations.

https://youtu.be/EkXrP44GkQM

He could end up a somebody. Not that he’d have to to make it a good trade.

As I said earlier it almost doesn’t matter who the other side is. It’s hard to equal a package like that.

Paul George is hall of fame level but….

Traded by the Oklahoma City Thunder (https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/2020.html) to the Los Angeles Clippers (https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAC/2020.html) for Danilo Gallinari (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gallida01.html), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gilgesh01.html), a 2021 1st round draft pick (Tre Mann (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/manntr01.html) was later selected), a 2022 1st round draft pick (Jalen Williams (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willija06.html) was later selected), a 2023 1st round draft pick, a 2023 1st round draft pick, a 2024 1st round draft pick, a 2025 1st round draft pick and a 2026 1st round draft pick. 2021 1st-rd pick is MIA own conditional 2023 1st-rd pick is MIA own; amended to 2025 pick in later MIA-OKC trade 2023 1st-rd pick is right to swap

The trade is already awful just off SGA.

It’s tough to win those trades without a ready made title level team as the result. Which to be fair the clippers have…if healthy. I guess that part isn’t their fault.

Xiao Yao You
12-06-2022, 11:17 AM
https://youtu.be/EkXrP44GkQM

He could end up a somebody. Not that he’d have to to make it a good trade.

As I said earlier it almost doesn’t matter who the other side is. It’s hard to equal a package like that.

Paul George is hall of fame level but….

The trade is already awful just off SGA.

It’s tough to win those trades without a ready made title level team as the result. Which to be fair the clippers have…if healthy. I guess that part isn’t their fault.

Kessler already is somebody. He doesn't have the ceiling of Gobert though. Not as long or athletic. We'll see if he has the intangibles that have made Gobert better than almost everyone that was/is supposed to be better than him

Kblaze8855
12-06-2022, 11:20 AM
I’m not ready to commit to an opinion. I’ve watched the jazz this year mostly out of curiosity and holding Bulls fan allegiance to Lauri. I’ve not paid sufficient attention to the young guys to speak on them with any credibility. I saw a couple nicely timed blocks that made me notice him once.

warriorfan
12-06-2022, 11:23 AM
Xaio living rent free all day. Got these dudes legit obsessed. Owns their hearts, minds, and souls.

He won.

Jasper
12-06-2022, 11:28 AM
first few games the wolves were losing , but he was scoring 25-30 points per game.
They changed the game set and went thru Towns...

I just think they were never meant to be a fit.
I think they should trade Towns for assets

Xiao Yao You
12-06-2022, 12:27 PM
first few games the wolves were losing , but he was scoring 25-30 points per game.
They changed the game set and went thru Towns...

I just think they were never meant to be a fit.
I think they should trade Towns for assets

see what they do while he's out. If they start playing well, which I expect they'll do, he'll have to come back and fit in or you start looking to move him. Wolves are 4.5 games out of 1st. 2 games out of 6th. It's still really early in a tight west

Xiao Yao You
12-07-2022, 08:52 AM
Former Pistons player Greg Monroe signed with Chinese team Shanxi Loongs (https://*********.com/lists/international-transactions-log-where-are-former-nba-players-going/) for the remainder of the 2022-23 season.

– via Alberto De Roa @ ********* (https://*********.com/lists/international-transactions-log-where-are-former-nba-players-going/)

any big can play in China :roll:

SATAN
12-07-2022, 10:59 AM
What does Greg Monroe have to do with anything? Are you comparing him to Gobert?

Xiao Yao You
12-07-2022, 11:15 AM
What does Greg Monroe have to do with anything? Are you comparing him to Gobert?

No one of the trolls does

Xiao Yao You
12-07-2022, 10:48 PM
“I’m pretty optimistic about the group of great guys we have here,” Connelly said. “We know we have the right coach, we know we have the right ownership. If it doesn’t work, point the fingers at me. (https://theathletic.com/3979037/2022/12/07/rudy-gobert-trade-timberwolves-tim-connelly/) I’m a big boy. I have pretty high expectations for this organization and for myself. But with all these new faces, it’s going to be hard at times, and how do we help?” The increased expectations, and the stakes involved after paying a high price to land Rudy Gobert, have been evident on the faces of the players as they have navigated the early portion of this season. It is clear they believed the progress would come sooner and easier than it has. That was one thing Finch was concerned about heading into the season, that the team would expect the wins to come naturally. They are coming to the realization that it’s going to take harder work and more commitment.

– via Jon Krawczynski @ The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/3979037/2022/12/07/rudy-gobert-trade-timberwolves-tim-connelly/)

The Minnesota Timberwolves are just over a quarter of the way through their first season with Rudy Gobert, and the man who assembled a team with high expectations understands the angst in some corners of the fan base about their uneven start. “We’ve seen moments we look really good and moments we haven’t,” Wolves President of Basketball Operations Tim Connelly told The Athletic. “If you were to ask me two months ago when the season started, we thought we’d be a little further ahead of the curve.” (https://theathletic.com/3979037/2022/12/07/rudy-gobert-trade-timberwolves-tim-connelly/)

– via Jon Krawczynski @ The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/3979037/2022/12/07/rudy-gobert-trade-timberwolves-tim-connelly/)

While the fit with Towns and Gobert was the most scrutinized aspect of Minnesota’s lineup, it was Towns who actually showed some of the best feel for playing with Gobert on offense. He led the Wolves in assists to Gobert and showed a willingness to incorporate him into the offense, sometimes turning the ball over while trying to get Gobert involved. That enthusiasm on Towns’ part is a big reason Connelly believes the pairing can work over the long term. “We’re not going to bury our head in the sand and pretend it’s been flawless,” Connelly said. “We never expected that. When we made the trade, it wasn’t done without a lot of conversation, a lot of watching of tape.” (https://theathletic.com/3979037/2022/12/07/rudy-gobert-trade-timberwolves-tim-connelly/)

I thought the Towns/Gobert pick and roll looked great the little I saw of them