PDA

View Full Version : Zion is the heir apparent to LeBron if he stays healthy

RRR3
12-10-2022, 02:25 AM
Mikan. Russell. Wilt. Dr. J. Bird. Magic. MJ. Shaq. Kobe. LeBron. These have been the faces of the league. I think Zion is the next one if he stays healthy.

Keep in mind I’m not saying the guys I mentioned are in my top 10 (many of them are tho) it’s just the were the leagues most notable superstar for a time.

Jud
12-10-2022, 02:26 AM
thats a big if

Spurs m8
12-10-2022, 02:31 AM
Seriously question, does he have the clutch gene?

Because that's something that I've never been able to shake bron missing....its important when talking about top 10 status

And before you post weird stats, post his hit or lose stats...thats the real clutch gene

HunterSThompson
12-10-2022, 02:38 AM
the face of the nba is still lebron because the media hasn't gotten the picture yet that his time has come and gone. all they still talk about is him. nobody in the nba has anywhere near kobe/jordan/lebron status

curry is the next closest thing but hes already 35 and has at most another 2-3 years of great basketball left in him. durant never had a chance to be that guy because he lacks personality and is unlikable

when lebron and curry retires the league will be in trouble because all the new big name players are coming out of europe and africa and none of them can speak without sounding like they have down syndrome

zion has too much of a beta personality to ever be the face of the league

ImKobe
12-10-2022, 09:48 AM
the face of the nba is still lebron because the media hasn't gotten the picture yet that his time has come and gone. all they still talk about is him. nobody in the nba has anywhere near kobe/jordan/lebron status

curry is the next closest thing but hes already 35 and has at most another 2-3 years of great basketball left in him. durant never had a chance to be that guy because he lacks personality and is unlikable

when lebron and curry retires the league will be in trouble because all the new big name players are coming out of europe and africa and none of them can speak without sounding like they have down syndrome

zion has too much of a beta personality to ever be the face of the league

Nah Zion definitely has the personality/likeability to be the face of the league. Question is if he's good enough as a player. The efficiency and the highlights are off the charts but he's still raw in some aspects offensively, though I will say that his defense has improved A LOT this season and he might already be an elite 2-way player at age 22.

HunterSThompson
12-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Nah Zion definitely has the personality/likeability to be the face of the league. Question is if he's good enough as a player. The efficiency and the highlights are off the charts but he's still raw in some aspects offensively, though I will say that his defense has improved A LOT this season and he might already be an elite 2-way player at age 22.

zion is too shy and passive to ever be the leader of the nba. he doesn't even command the ball on his own team. his playmakers control his destiny. you can't be the face of the league and not even be able to call your own shots lol

AirBonner
12-10-2022, 11:40 AM
Seriously question, does he have the clutch gene?

Because that's something that I've never been able to shake bron missing....its important when talking about top 10 status

And before you post weird stats, post his hit or lose stats...thats the real clutch gene

Clutch gene. 2nd most game winners. You are stupid

90sgoat
12-10-2022, 11:51 AM
Zion plays nothing like Lebron, he's the modern Charles Barkley on offense, just bully ball to the rim.

He's very hard to guard for small ball lineups.

Pels have a nice team and it fits together well with their players. A lot offensive versatility.

Wally450
12-10-2022, 11:52 AM
That's a big ask.

Yes or No
12-10-2022, 12:14 PM
No.

Airupthere
12-10-2022, 12:18 PM
Not yet, he needs to show more consistently

Full Court
12-10-2022, 01:27 PM
Right now Curry's the only one other than Lebron who is widely known outside of the basketball community. He's getting in the twilight of his career too. I don't really see any heirs apparent right now in that regard. None of the current crop of players seem to have whatever it is that gives cross over appeal.

ImKobe
12-10-2022, 02:34 PM
zion is too shy and passive to ever be the leader of the nba. he doesn't even command the ball on his own team. his playmakers control his destiny. you can't be the face of the league and not even be able to call your own shots lol

Pels use Point Zion quite a bit, he's a good playmaker and moves really well with the ball, his first step is also in the elite tier.

https://youtu.be/E-9P-EDDGd0

Just off that first clip alone, he's taking it to a DPOY-level defender 1 on 1 and Bridges can do nothing to stop him from getting to the rim. He doesn't need others to set him up for a dunk, he can get past anyone. It's like watching prime Lebron, he's getting to the rim at will.

RRR3
12-10-2022, 02:40 PM
Pels use Point Zion quite a bit, he's a good playmaker and moves really well with the ball, his first step is also in the elite tier.

https://youtu.be/E-9P-EDDGd0

Just off that first clip alone, he's taking it to a DPOY-level defender 1 on 1 and Bridges can do nothing to stop him from getting to the rim. He doesn't need others to set him up for a dunk, he can get past anyone. It's like watching prime Lebron, he's getting to the rim at will.
He admitted he hates basketball now yesterday he has no idea what he’s talking about :lol

RRR3
12-10-2022, 02:48 PM
How the **** did I forget Kareem in my OP? :facepalm

God damn a complete 3ball moment for me.

Norcaliblunt
12-10-2022, 07:55 PM
So Giannis who has won a dpoy, multiple mvps, a championship, and because he is from Greece not American he isn’t the “apparent” face of the league? I’m checking your wannabe woke card sucka.

Real Men Wear Green
12-10-2022, 08:12 PM
So Giannis who has won a dpoy, multiple mvps, a championship, and because he is from Greece not American he isn’t the “apparent” face of the league? I’m checking your wannabe woke card sucka.

Being the face of the league isn't the same thing as being the best player. It's more about popularity. Giannis is the best player but James is far more popular.

BigKobeFan
12-10-2022, 08:13 PM
And you will never have heirs

Norcaliblunt
12-10-2022, 08:14 PM
Being the face of the league isn't the same thing as being the best player. It's more about popularity. Giannis is the best player but James is far more popular.

That’s where checking someone’s “woke card” comes into play. You dig?

Baller789
12-10-2022, 10:52 PM
Giannis, Luka and Jokic, arguably the next "biggest" players, and none of them are American.

LeGoat4Life
12-11-2022, 12:57 AM
Steph is still the face of the league since 2015

Phoenix
12-11-2022, 05:56 AM

We're in uncharted territory because in years past, the best player also happened to be American. Now like half the top 10 are foreigners, and guys like KD/Curry/Lebron are on the back nine of their careers. The best 'going forward' American player as of now could be Tatum but he doesn't have either a marketable game or personailty. The two up and coming Americans with the most marketability are Zion and Ja, but I don't see either one of them being the best player in the league and becoming the 'face'. Right now there isn't a Lebron/Kobe in the league or on the immediate horizon.

RRR3
12-11-2022, 06:20 AM
We're in uncharted territory because in years past, the best player also happened to be American. Now like half the top 10 are foreigners, and guys like KD/Curry/Lebron are on the back nine of their careers. The best 'going forward' American player as of now could be Tatum but he doesn't have either a marketable game or personailty. The two up and coming Americans with the most marketability are Zion and Ja, but I don't see either one of them being the best player in the league and becoming the 'face'. Right now there isn't a Lebron/Kobe in the league or on the immediate horizon.
They’re trying to push Ja but he’s just not good enough. Zion will be the one.

Phoenix
12-11-2022, 07:23 AM
They’re trying to push Ja but he’s just not good enough. Zion will be the one.

Maybe but Zion doesn't strike me as someone who's going to spurn an entire legion of opposing stan camps the way Lebron/Kobe did. As much as we troll on ISH about those two nobody playing now, Zion included, is at that point.

Chick Stern
12-11-2022, 03:15 PM
thats a big if

If he stays healthy is like if water is not wet

Phoenix
12-11-2022, 03:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC7xXFldmZ4

Most of his scoring highlights here he's creating his own offense. What is this idiot talking about?

Baller789
12-13-2022, 09:09 PM
The first step is that Americans should accept the fact that they no longer have the best players in the world. As long as they have that anything that isn't American couldn't be that good, we can move forward.

my prediction that he could be all nba this year is looking good

beyond that he could get mvp consideration considering booker finished 4th last year

lebron has big shoes to fill though

sportjames23
12-14-2022, 01:34 AM
Bron Stans tryin to claim Zion now?

HoopologyPhD
12-14-2022, 03:30 PM
I agree with OP, overweight people can identify with Zion and will root for him to succeed because he looks like them, albeit he is highly athletic and sometimes in good cardiovascular condition.

Yeezy
12-14-2022, 03:44 PM
zion plays almost nothing like lebron. he's like a 300 pound Derrick rose

bison
12-14-2022, 10:35 PM
i dont think OP is saying he plays like lebron, he's just comparing them as potential faces of the league. i like zion, has an explosive game and is on a potential perennial contending team and humble charm. so he has the ingredients there but the team actually has to succeed before we can even begin talking about him as face of the league.

Yeezy
12-14-2022, 10:50 PM
the face of the nba must be these things

1. black ( check )

2. American ( check )

3. polarizing ( zion isn't)

4. charismatic/outgoing/egotistical or talkative ( zion isn't )

5. arguably the best player ( zion isn't )

6. be in control of his own destiny/can demand the ball/dominates his locker room/has a green light ( zion isn't/doesn't )

7. have a media obsession ( zion doesn't )

right now the faces of the league are

1. lebron
2. curry
3. Durant

the only guy I can see taking over for them currently is ja morant. he has all of the things I mentioned going for him. Luka, giannis, embiid, joker will never have a chance because they're foreign. tatum is too shy and reclusive like zion.

the only guy I could see breaking out and challenging morant is anthony Edward's.

until zion sheds his beta shy personality he's never gonna be accepted by the media as the face of the nba. his teammates can freeze him out whenever they want. he can't demand the ball on the inbound. he's injury prone. it's just not in the cards. at best he will be a shawn Kemp or Dominique Wilkins type. he's not jordan/kobe/lebron