PDA

View Full Version : How does a team go about tanking?

Full Court
12-12-2022, 09:16 PM
That may sound like a silly question on the surface, but hear me out. Let's say someone in team management decides the team needs to tank. What are the mechanics of actually making that happen? I mean, I doubt you can just go to your players and say, "Start playing terribly." Their future contracts depend on performance, so I assume players are going to play as well as they can.

So do you then order the coach to start losing games? How do you convince a coach to actually do that? Overachieving with a poor team sets up a coach for a good future. But let's say a coach buys in to the whole tanking thing, how does he then go about it? Give good players low minutes and put crappy players in? Have players that don't complement each other well on the floor at the same time? Draw up ineffective plays? I'm curious about how this actually works.

SATAN
12-12-2022, 09:20 PM
:facepalm

This ****in' guy :oldlol:

Baller789
12-12-2022, 09:22 PM
One of the best ways is to keep injured players out for longer for being "injured".

Also tweak the rotations.a bit so the team doesn't play optimally.

Full Court
12-12-2022, 09:24 PM
One of the best ways is to keep injured players out for longer for being "injured".

Also tweak the rotations.a bit so the team doesn't play optimally.

And these "injured" players don't complain about not being allowed to play?

Baller789
12-12-2022, 09:31 PM
And these "injured" players don't complain about not being allowed to play?
Sometimes they do e.g. Jordan in his Sophomore year.

SaltyMeatballs
12-12-2022, 09:56 PM
Step 1: Have a team that sucks
Step 2: Let the sucky team play out the season

90sgoat
12-13-2022, 06:16 AM
OKC and Houston is doing it the right way.

Just play a bunch of talented teenagers and they'll lose on their own, because they're not at the physical or mental level to compete against real pros. The benefit of this is that you'll end up with a team like Pelicans having played and grown up together, ready to compete.

Hire a coach that is known for development, maybe an unknown college coach or someone like that. Not an old timer, who has a rep to uphold.

The wrong way to go about is be like Pistons and fake injuries and have various non-defense playing role players on the team, like Bojan and whatever. Also called the Hinkie-method.

Play the young guys and if they win they win, they lose they lose.

Lebron23
12-13-2022, 06:32 AM
OKC and Houston is doing it the right way.

Just play a bunch of talented teenagers and they'll lose on their own, because they're not at the physical or mental level to compete against real pros. The benefit of this is that you'll end up with a team like Pelicans having played and grown up together, ready to compete.

Hire a coach that is known for development, maybe an unknown college coach or someone like that. Not an old timer, who has a rep to uphold.

The wrong way to go about is be like Pistons and fake injuries and have various non-defense playing role players on the team, like Bojan and whatever. Also called the Hinkie-method.

Play the young guys and if they win they win, they lose they lose.

Spurs are also doing it. I doubt Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell average 20 ppg if they play in a good team.

John8204
12-13-2022, 09:02 AM
1. draft players and then sit them out
2. take up your payroll with massive expiring contracts
3. trade away your talented role players for draft picks