PDA

View Full Version : Zion will slow down in playoffs when defenders learn to give him a little distance

3ba11
12-18-2022, 02:52 PM
Why in the world are people guarding him like he's Kobe with expert jumpshooting skill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQbPHmaEJx8&t=02m03s

Absurd

One must assume teams will figure him out in the playoffs like they did other spotty-shooting rim-attackers like Lebron, Giannis and others.. Throw Jordan in there too if you want - he was attacking the rim too much when he was losing to the Pistons and was more of a polished jumpshooter when he was beating them

Notice the overt double-teams as if his jumper is hot instead of the defense providing the extra bodies/help on his drives - teams aren't even trying to provide that layered defensive approach that Zion will presumably face in the playoffs.

Horrific defense by Phoenix on him specifically and most teams are similar.. We'll see how Zion does in the playoffs when he's forced to take more than 17 shots per game (where his efficiency is ordinary) and probably defer to Ingram as team scoring leader.

ShawkFactory
12-18-2022, 03:20 PM
Zion has that ability to completely wear people down throughout a game. What is he, the 2nd heaviest player in the league? Moving like that?

I expect that you’re right in that Ingram and McCollum will get as many if not more looks in half-court, potentially ISO situations.

But Zions value will be the highest by far. Phoenix is set up nicely for a run here. Idk about this season but barring injuries to Zion I’d be shocked if they didn’t have a title in the next 3 years.

3ba11
12-18-2022, 03:54 PM
Zion has that ability to completely wear people down throughout a game. What is he, the 2nd heaviest player in the league? Moving like that?

I expect that you’re right in that Ingram and McCollum will get as many if not more looks in half-court, potentially ISO situations.

But Zions value will be the highest by far. Phoenix is set up nicely for a run here. Idk about this season but barring injuries to Zion I’d be shocked if they didn’t have a title in the next 3 years.

that's true. his ability to help the pelicans win the attrition battle lowers his team's defensive requirements (facing worn-out opponents and more favorable pace/opponent not dictating pace)

The thing about it is that he has a lot of help

The Pelicans were a solid playoff team last year despite Ingram and McCullum barely playing the regular season - so he won't have to defeat maximum defensive attention in these playoffs (carry the scoring load or carry low-producing sidekicks over top 5 SRS teams), which almost no young rim attacker has ever done

Jordan did it once in 89' Playoffs, aka "the shot" and that was a 5-game series - he fell short against the Pistons (but succeeded many times later in his career), while Lebron, Giannis and others also failed to carry low-producing teammates over top teams for their entire career.

TLDR: Zion might do okay in these playoffs because he won't face maximum defensive attention due to developed supporting cast

tontoz
12-18-2022, 04:00 PM
Right, giving him space has worked so well against Giannis.

:facepalm

90sgoat
12-18-2022, 04:05 PM
It's interesting that Zion is so dominant, because like with Charles, how are you going to guard someone that strong and fast. He's literally just bumping them off, it's pure theoretical physics.

You'd want a big center to check him at the rim, but those are not under the rim now.

If Zion gets really successful, say if he wins the finals this year, we might see teams arguing for the def 3 seconds to come back (hopefully).

3ba11
12-18-2022, 04:28 PM
It's interesting that Zion is so dominant, because like with Charles

Young Charles lost in the playoffs because he would only take 15 shots per game against the 1990 Bulls, so a massive part of his offense was FT's (11 per game), which he only made 60% of

So Zion and Charles have their limitations - they have to pick their spots - if they're missing their FT's or don't get fouled a lot and have to take a lot of shots, their efficiency becomes quite normal and their teams aren't nearly as good as the regular season indicates.

If Zion gets really successful, say if he wins the finals this year, we might see teams arguing for the def 3 seconds to come back (hopefully).

Zero title equity for the baby Pelicans

Only the grown folks have a chance (Warriors, Memphis, LA, Denver)... Curry is getting a nice break right now, so he'll be better than he otherwise would've been

Full Court
12-18-2022, 04:38 PM
Why in the world are people guarding him like he's Kobe with expert jumpshooting skill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQbPHmaEJx8&t=02m03s

Absurd

One must assume teams will figure him out in the playoffs like they did other spotty-shooting rim-attackers like Lebron, Giannis and others.. Throw Jordan in there too if you want - he was attacking the rim too much when he was losing to the Pistons and was more of a polished jumpshooter when he was beating them

Notice the overt double-teams as if his jumper is hot instead of the defense providing the extra bodies/help on his drives - teams aren't even trying to provide that layered defensive approach that Zion will presumably face in the playoffs.

Horrific defense by Phoenix on him specifically and most teams are similar.. We'll see how Zion does in the playoffs when he's forced to take more than 17 shots per game (where his efficiency is ordinary) and probably defer to Ingram as team scoring leader.

You may be right. It looks pretty certain that the Pelicans will make the playoffs this year, so as long as he stays uninjured it will be interesting to see how Zion plays in the post-season against ramped up defense. It will tell us a lot.

RRR3
12-18-2022, 05:12 PM
Zion terrifying OP is further proof he’s the next LeBron :applause:

He’s only 22 too, get ready for another decade+ of looking stupid, snivelly.

3ba11
12-18-2022, 05:17 PM
Zion terrifying OP is further proof he’s the next LeBron :applause:

He’s only 22 too, get ready for another decade+ of looking stupid, snivelly.

1997 Larry Johnson

a short prime for that body-type

Real Men Wear Green
12-18-2022, 05:20 PM
Stopping Williamson requires a forward or center with strength enough not to get pushed around and an athletic shot blocker to help that guy out. Best Western team for that challenge is Memphis.

3ba11
12-18-2022, 05:46 PM
Stopping Williamson requires a guard or center with strength enough not to get pushed around and an athletic shot blocker to help that guy out. Best Western team for that challenge is Memphis.

or maybe defenders can just back off him a few feet (keep the distance like a boxer) and stay in front of him?

this would make the ball flow more Ingram's way, who I expect to lead the Pelicans in playoff scoring

Real Men Wear Green
12-18-2022, 05:59 PM
or maybe defenders can just back off him a few feet (keep the distance like a boxer) and stay in front of him?

this would make the ball flow more Ingram's way, who I expect to lead the Pelicans in playoff scoring

He's not Ben simmons. He can hit shots well enough to make them defend him honestly especially inside of the three point line. He doesn't have to be a three point threat to score effectively just stay in his range.

Phoenix
12-18-2022, 06:07 PM
Zion is an elite playfinisher and post player, allowing other guys like Ingham and CJ to flourish. Typically these attributes are commended by the OP. Interestingly enough, the OP criticizes Lebron for holding back Ingram but he's evolved into an all-star level next to Zion. OP changes viewpoints like he does his daily prescriptions.

3ba11
12-18-2022, 09:16 PM
He's not Ben simmons. He can hit shots well enough to make them defend him honestly especially inside of the three point line. He doesn't have to be a three point threat to score effectively just stay in his range.

The video shows that defenders are treating him like he's Kobe or DeRozan

He cannot rely on his jumper for a big game and he shoots horrifically outside of 3 feet.. Accordingly, teams are playing him as if it's regular season and no one is paying attention to scouting reports... Oh wait... That's exactly what is happening

Defenders will play a smart distance in the playoffs and layered defense, so he'll get locked up like previous rim attackers that needed to figure it out

He's also a weak FT shooter and shoots an ordinary efficiency when he takes 18+ shots, so I wouldn't expect the Pelicans to be as good in playoffs as their regular season record indicates

RRR3
12-18-2022, 11:20 PM
1997 Larry Johnson

a short prime for that body-type
He’s already far better than Johnson ever was. You’re an absolute moron

3ba11
12-19-2022, 02:31 AM
He’s already far better than Johnson ever was. You’re an absolute moron

Not far better.

But he's better with all the carrying and traveling that is allowed today - LJ would be doing all the same shit except with an actual post game and turnaround jumper

Regardless of how good Zion is now, he'll have a short prime and drop like a rock, just like LJ

Do you realize that by using past precedent, you can predict the future? Maybe you're not aware of that - that's why you guys are always like "omg" because everything surprises you. So when Luka's skillset needs more help and he decides to team-up, you shouldn't be surprised - that type of skillset has always needed to collude because it imposes spot-up roles that stall young players, thereby needing ready-made stars to win.

RRR3
12-19-2022, 02:32 AM
d-duh-uhh-uhhh
Implying Zion doesn't have a post game is hilarious. You don't watch basketball.

3ba11
12-19-2022, 02:36 AM
Implying Zion doesn't have a post game is hilarious. You don't watch basketball.

he has no fundamentals - just bully-ball

if he ever got a nice little pull-up and turnaround, he'd be insane

RRR3
12-19-2022, 02:37 AM
he has no fundamentals - just bully-ball

you guys don't know basketball and never picked up a ball in your life and that's why you can't engage me - i'm a master and you're a nerd that never played... i don't even know why you bums watch basketball - you literally shouldn't be watching because you're dumb... do something with your life f'in uneducated loser
You've never watched Zion play. You're just mad because he reminds you of LeBron.

3ba11
12-19-2022, 02:39 AM
You've never watched Zion play. You're just mad because he reminds you of LeBron.

Watching literally 10 seconds of his game and I know more about how he plays than you.... who watched entire games.

i can tell who the dumbasses are in the media and on forums by seeing who thinks the Pelicans have title equity.

they're babies and zion has a million holes in his game..

imagine a pick-up game where there's nothing on the line.... then imagine a pick up game where everyone's house is on the line - the latter is the playoffs and it exposes weaknesses, which Zion and the pelicans have

Proctor
12-19-2022, 02:40 AM
Stop giving Simon attention.

RRR3
12-19-2022, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure why you keep insisting this is simon :kobe:

Proctor
12-19-2022, 02:42 AM
I'm not sure why you keep insisting this is simon :kobe:
Because I know the real 3ball and know factually this isn't him.

I suppose I don't "know" that it's Simon, but it's definitely a shtick he would enjoy. I do know that it's not the original 3ball though.

:kobe:

3ba11
12-19-2022, 02:44 AM

it's funny because a team like the pelicans goes on a mini-run and everyone that knows nothing (media, fans) hops on the bandwagon and says "the pelicans could win the title"

so you guys are frontrunners on whatever is happening because you lack insight and understanding to have a different opinion than the journalists on TV (who are know-nothing frontrunners like you guys)

carry on tho

3ba11
12-19-2022, 02:46 AM
Because I know the real 3ball and know factually this isn't him.

I suppose I don't "know" that it's Simon, but it's definitely a shtick he would enjoy. I do know that it's not the original 3ball though.

:kobe:

I'm the original 3ball lol

you guys are funny

i'll give you that

funny f*ckers

Proctor
12-19-2022, 02:48 AM
I'm the original 3ball lol

you guys are funny

i'll give you that

funny f*ckers
Every time I tell the real one to pop out, you claim it's a mod or admin hijack. Sorry Simon, truth hurts

RRR3
12-19-2022, 02:50 AM
Simon shew

3ba11
12-19-2022, 02:54 AM
Every time I tell the real one to pop out, you claim it's a mod or admin hijack. Sorry Simon, truth hurts

it's crazy the mods won't let me back into the 3ball account - I have the original join email but the password reset link won't recognize the email address anymore

Axe
12-19-2022, 03:53 PM
it's crazy the mods won't let me back into the 3ball account - I have the original join email but the password reset link won't recognize the email address anymore
Meltdown. You also have your trada7029 dup, remember?