PDA

View Full Version : True or False: A lot of "star" players want to win, but they don't want to sacrifice

Im Still Ballin
12-26-2022, 01:19 AM
Some players would rather be the "one-man band" on a 7th or 8th seed. A team where people would say "if only he had more help!" But when he gets help, he's no longer the one-man band and becomes pouty.

They want to win, but only on their terms.

I truly think guys like LaVine, Harden, and Westbrook would rather be the sole guy on their team. These guys say they want to win, but I'm not sure they really want to do whatever it takes.

They'd rather lose in a heroic fashion that makes them look good.

They care about their brands and might see playing second fiddle a threat to their brands. It could hurt contract negotiations and market value.

Im Still Ballin
12-26-2022, 01:22 AM
Just thought about this given the news about Harden maybe wanting to go back to Houston.

I have no doubt Russ would've preferred to stay on a bad team where he can dominate the ball and put up big stats. And everyone would've been like "yo, Russ still got it!" Then he can roll around still acting like "the man"

iamgine
12-26-2022, 01:34 AM
No. Not a lot. Every SINGLE player wants to win on their own terms.

You think non stars like Marcus Smart would be happy to be the 12th man making $200k a season if it means more chance of winning? Hell naw, he'd asked to be traded in a second.

Im Still Ballin
12-26-2022, 01:35 AM

You think non stars like Marcus Smart would be happy to be the 12th man making $200k a season if it means more chance of winning? Hell naw, he'd asked to be traded in a second.

You make a good point

RRR3
12-26-2022, 01:37 AM
No one likes to lose but some people aren’t realistic about ways in which they’d be capable of winning.

Im Still Ballin
12-26-2022, 01:39 AM

Do you agree though? That there are "star" players that would rather lose in a way that makes them look good then win in a way that makes them look less?

It reminds me of the LeBron 2011 finals conspiracy. It seems completely ridiculous that he'd throw the finals because he wouldn't win FMVP. However, there's a part of me that's always considered it, given LeBron's personality and titanic ego.

SouBeachTalents
12-26-2022, 01:43 AM
Nah, I think the vast majority of players want to win a championship, and would be willing to sacrifice in order to do so. It's after they've won where I think what you described comes into effect. Once they've won a championship, that's where ego things like whether they're perceived as the best player on the team or how much credit they feel they've received comes into play. It's something we've seen on several occasions after a championship; it happened with Shaq & Kobe, Kyrie on the Cavs, KD on the Warriors etc.

iamgine
12-26-2022, 02:47 AM
Do you agree though? That there are "star" players that would rather lose in a way that makes them look good then win in a way that makes them look less?

Well yes, that's normal. But not in the way you described. More in the 'Shaq refused to learn underhand free throw cause it looked silly' type of thing.

ImKobe
12-26-2022, 02:54 AM
Nah. If Harden didn't care about winning he wouldn't have forced his way out of Houston.

Westbrook (post-2018) and Lavine are not in that elite tier as players so they really don't have a choice. They would benefit the most from being the #1 guy on a really bad team to have bigger averages & be able to play hero ball without any criticism.

RRR3
12-26-2022, 03:11 AM

It reminds me of the LeBron 2011 finals conspiracy. It seems completely ridiculous that he'd throw the finals because he wouldn't win FMVP. However, there's a part of me that's always considered it, given LeBron's personality and titanic ego.
That doesn't make any sense because he was easily in position to win it after game 1. If he didn't choke they win and he has a great shot at FMVP

Jasper
12-26-2022, 11:57 AM
harden has proved OP wrong.
He is laying more and more like a team player , and what turns him on , is actually being the PG.

When Masey comes back he plays more like an off guard than a PG... why Harden.

Full Court
12-26-2022, 05:43 PM
Some players would rather be the "one-man band" on a 7th or 8th seed. A team where people would say "if only he had more help!" But when he gets help, he's no longer the one-man band and becomes pouty.

They want to win, but only on their terms.

I truly think guys like LaVine, Harden, and Westbrook would rather be the sole guy on their team. These guys say they want to win, but I'm not sure they really want to do whatever it takes.

They'd rather lose in a heroic fashion that makes them look good.

They care about their brands and might see playing second fiddle a threat to their brands. It could hurt contract negotiations and market value.

Yes, I agree. I can only specuate who that applies to, but undoubtedly some players think that way.

Kblaze8855
12-26-2022, 05:51 PM
Yes, I agree. I can only specuate who that applies to, but undoubtedly some players think that way.

these days when you get criticized for losing, criticized for teaming up to win, but still have people all over the place making claims like this where you are also a loser If you don’t want to go join up with some better or similar players, you might as well. It’s either be generational like a Giannis or Steph…lose…or win as a team guy doing what it takes(aka…superteaming). You’re gonna get hated on for both of the final two options and they only make 4-5 generational guys at a time.

So a guy like Dame Is what? A loser who doesn’t wanna win…or a team hopper?

At some point you just have to ignore the idiot fans and do whatever makes you happy.

They can’t win.

Full Court
12-26-2022, 08:00 PM
these days when you get criticized for losing, criticized for teaming up to win, but still have people all over the place making claims like this where you are also a loser If you don’t want to go join up with some better or similar players, you might as well. It’s either be generational like a Giannis or Steph…lose…or win as a team guy doing what it takes(aka…superteaming). You’re gonna get hated on for both of the final two options and they only make 4-5 generational guys at a time.

So a guy like Dame Is what? A loser who doesn’t wanna win…or a team hopper?

At some point you just have to ignore the idiot fans and do whatever makes you happy.

They can’t win.

I don't disagree. I don't even see it as a negative necessarily when players have the mindset this thread is talking about. I respect Lillard more for sticking it out with his team rather than ring hunting with other stars. I can also see why it could be more appealing to be the alpha on a mediocre team rather than second option on a great team.