PDA

View Full Version : You have to build a team blind to win a title next season with a skill set lottery.

Kblaze8855
12-26-2022, 12:09 PM
This is how you do it….

You have to put a priority list in order for a blind all time auto/lottery draft.

You have only 4 criteria. The entire nba and every coach from every era has been polled to rank the top 20 in the league in their era in the following….

Shooters

Defenders

Passers

Athletes

You don’t get to specify anything else. They weren’t asked “Pure scorers” or “Rim protector”.

It’s the player and coach voted top 20 shooters, passers, defenders, and athletes from every era. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, and 20s.

You don’t get names. You can’t choose the era they come from.

Each category is 140 names you don’t know except where they overlap(explained later).

All you get to do is rank your priorities and await the lottery results by the rankings by skill. Players selected randomly from the lottery balls with weighted odds by your rankings.

So if you go…

Shooter
Athlete
Defender
Passer

You get 50 people from the shooters category, 25 athletes, 15 defenders, and 10 athletes. All selected at random from the 140(ish) options and placed in your lottery ball basket. You get the first player who falls out for each category and all subsequent players from that category aren’t yours until you have your first 4 then it’s at random to fill in the roster. So if your first ball is Peja you can’t then get Klay Thompson second unless somehow he was a duplicate and on the defenders list as well and it’s Defender Klay who drops(though the same player….not some defense only Klay). You could potentially get shooter Klay 5th after all four spots are filled and it’s just pulling from your whole group(which would still have 49 shooters).

Players can be duplicates in skill areas but not across eras. You might be able to get Defender Jordan or athlete Jordan but not both. And you can’t get both 80s and 90s Jordan. If you ranked athlete over defender and 80s athlete Jordan drops first and the 90s defender third you only get 80s athlete.

Basically you can’t get two of the same person but that one person might be in there twice…for different reasons. If they both drop you get the one from your higher priority and lose the other.

You get one

Knowing you can’t choose any players directly….

Give me your lottery odds top to bottom.

And know I’d be laughing when you picked shooter first hoping for Steph and Bill Sharman fell out and I had defender first and got 90s Hakeem as my top selection.

All I’m really asking is 4 words.

Weight your 100 options. 50, 25, 15, and 10. What skills you want the most of in your basket?

You’re gonna get one of each no matter what but it’s possible you end up with like 7 of your top skill by the time you’re done.

SouBeachTalents
12-26-2022, 12:14 PM
In todays era, I’d have to go

Shooters
Defenders
Passers
Athletes

You could switch the last 2 and I wouldn’t disagree, but shooters would definitely be number one and defenders 2nd.

Kblaze8855
12-26-2022, 01:28 PM
I’ve been trying to decide which position offers the most overlap, and I feel like it might be athlete. The defenders would have a lot of athletic ability usually. And I’m wondering what great players might be hard to get at all.

Jokic for one…he’s totally off your board if you don’t get him with your first passer pick. After that it’s 9 players of 96 remaining to get a shot and he’d only be in the 2020 list. In all likelihood nobody gets Jokic without putting a lot of balls into passing.

Is there a great player you wouldn’t get with any order?

A guy like Nique would only be in the athletes pool. Reggie would only be in the shooter. I’m trying to think of someone not on any of the lists who is still great….

Tony Parker?

Would Tony Parker make a top 20 2000s athlete list just off speed?

SouBeachTalents
12-26-2022, 01:43 PM
I would guess Parker would make the passers list no?

The better question is what the hell would Moses fall under, athlete? Ditto other guys who kinda fall into no mans land like Pau, Parish, DeRozan.

Kblaze8855
12-26-2022, 01:50 PM
Top of my head 2000s passers?

Nash
Kidd
Chris Paul
Lebron
Webber
Marbury
Stockton(yes…still)
Manu
Deron Williams
Andre Miller
Baron Davis
Jason Williams
Rondo
vlade
Jose Calderon

Thats 15 keeping Parker out. I bet I could come up with 10 more.