PDA

View Full Version : How far down do you extend “goat” and “legend” courtesies?

Kblaze8855
12-29-2022, 09:42 AM
Let’s say you are a producer on an NBA show and the writers and Teleprompter guy want your guidance on what the host should introduce players as. They can say:

”One of the greatest players of all time….”

”Nba legend….”

”*insert team* legend….”

or

”Former nba player”

For example…if Doctor J is coming out he doesn’t actually have to be many peoples pick for GOAT to earn the title “Former Philadelphia 76er and one of the greatest players of all time…..”The Doctor” Julius Erving.”.

Thats Doctor J. He gets that billing.

But Dikembe Mutombo?

You’d look silly. He’s “Nba legend Dikembe Mutombo”.

Also…you’d look silly calling Charles Oakley an nba legend. But “Knicks legend Charles Oakley.”? Sounds about right.

If Avery Johnson is coming out…it’s “Former nba player and head coach….” and he and his people should find that acceptable. The nba will call anyone a legend. I swear I’ve seen “Nba legend Jerome Williams” in an nba tv commercial. But this is your show. Your rules. It’s entirely up to you what these people are.

So we clear?

You have all these people scheduled to come on this season and the teleprompter guy wants your pick for the following players. Just give me a little.

Goat
Legend
Team legend
Former player

Shorten it to G, L, TL, FP if you like since I’m gonna do….a lot of these. I’m just curious where you put people. Such things interest me:

Paul Pierce
Jason Kidd
Kenyon Martin
James Worthy
Kevin Garnett
Dennis Rodman
Glen Rice
Michael Cooper
John Stockton
Carmelo
Gilbert Arenas
Shawn Kemp
Sabonis(original)
Charles Barkley
Horace Grant
Dirk
Jeff Hornacek
Mark Jackson
Jason Williams
Jayson Williams
Jay Williams
Dell Curry
Moses Malone
Isiah Thomas
Michael Finley
Chris Bosh
Shawn Marion
Steve Francis
Kevin Mchale
Willis Reed
Steve Nash
Wade
Hakeem
Caron Butler
Lamar Odom
Sprewell
Andre Miller
Baron Davis
Jerry West
Jermaine O’Neal
Rasheed Wallace
John Starks
Deron Williams
Joe Dumars

Who’s handlers will you annoy by denying them nba legend status? I feel like you’re gonna wanna puss out and come up with something like “Former NBA all star….” on some of them to be nice but no. We will not have “Former NBA all star Jamal Magloire” introduced to make him feel like a big deal. It’s former nba player Jamal Magloire. We don’t coddle. We ask the tough questions and we will not grant you an all stars style just because 6 injuries got you a spot back when centers had to be selected but the position was already near dead.

Youre the producer but let’s say the network owner is a dick like me who won’t have “Former NBA all star Theo Ratliff” on his screen. If he isn’t a legend we won’t give viewers the false impression he was some kinda big deal. We might acknowledge he technically made an all star team but I will not have Theo Ratliff or Tyrone Hill introduced as the same thing as Amare or Joe Johnson.

We have standards here at the Condescending Jackass Sports Network. CJSN doesn’t give you what you want. We give you what you need.

Give me your labels.

Kblaze8855
12-29-2022, 09:51 AM
My picks:

Paul Pierce. L
Jason Kidd. L
Kenyon Martin. FP
James Worthy. Laker legend(tough one but I think he’d embrace it)

Kevin Garnett L
Dennis Rodman Pistons and Bulls legend
Glen Rice FP but he’d be annoyed
Michael Cooper - Laker legend
John Stockton - L
Carmelo - L
Gilbert Arenas - Former nba player
Shawn Kemp - Legend of the once and future Seattle SuperSonics
Sabonis(original) - Former nba player and international legend
Charles Barkley - L
Horace Grant - Torn between bulls legend and former player
Dirk - L
Jeff Hornacek - FP
Mark Jackson - FP
Jason Williams - Kings legend(that’s right)
Jayson Williams - FP
Jay Williams - FP
Dell Curry -FP
Moses Malone - L with consideration for goat but I couldn’t pull the trigger
Isiah Thomas - L
Michael Finley - Mavs legend
Chris Bosh - Raptors and Heat Legend
Shawn Marion - I really can’t decide
Steve Francis - Former player
Kevin Mchale - Legend
Willis Reed - Odd combo of both nba and Knicks legend
Steve Nash - Nba legend
Wade - Legend and Heat legend
Hakeem - goat
Caron Butler - fp
Lamar Odom - fp
Sprewell - Fp
Andre Miller - fp
Baron Davis - Fp and warriors legend
Jerry West - Goat
Jermaine O’Neal - Tough
Rasheed Wallace - FP
John Starks - Knicks legend
Deron Williams - Former player(doesn’t feel like enough though)
Joe Dumars - Pistons legend

FultzNationRISE
12-29-2022, 10:56 AM
Well Mutombo is kind of a legend, if not strictly for game impact. You still see young players in the game today doing tributary finger wags. Footage of the iconic 8/1 upset comes up regularly. His charity work is well known. I wouldnt bat an eye hearing him introduced as a legend. He’s clearly in a class of fame beyond jamal magloire.

Kblaze8855
12-29-2022, 11:12 AM
Yea Mutombo can have legend. He can’t have “And one of the greatest player of all time” like Doctor J was my point. You’d feel weird having to read that.

Im Still Ballin
12-29-2022, 11:18 AM
Have to make a tough call on Shawn Marion. Former Player status. He should be Team Legend based upon his talent and performance but he didn't have enough tenure with one team.

Kblaze8855
12-29-2022, 11:19 AM
Marion is exactly the guy you would call “Former nba all star” if we allowed it. But **** that.

Ill give him Suns legend.

Nowoco
12-30-2022, 11:13 AM
I'd definitely give Marion "Suns Legend" status.