RRR3
01-02-2023, 11:04 PM
The troll has been silenced.

D-Wait
01-02-2023, 11:06 PM
Goat.

Full Court
01-02-2023, 11:08 PM
Pretty soon 70 is going to be the new 50.

Wally450
01-02-2023, 11:10 PM
Jesus what a performance. My buddy text me asking if I saw what Mitchell was doing. Scrolled past the statline on Twitter and was like "holy shit!".

D-Wait
01-02-2023, 11:12 PM
Pretty soon 70 is going to be the new 50.

If they add a 4-point shot in the future, definitely.
Considering there were only 2 70-point games since 2006, chances are it won't happen too soon again.

Axe
01-02-2023, 11:13 PM
Wew.

Wally450
01-02-2023, 11:14 PM
If they add a 4-point shot, definitely. Considering there were only 2 70-point games since 2006, chances are it won't happen too soon again.

Is there any legitimacy to this claim? I swear I've heard this rumor over the better part of the last 15 years.

D-Wait
01-02-2023, 11:15 PM
Is there any legitimacy to this claim? I swear I've heard this rumor over the better part of the last 15 years.

I was just kidding. Would be the worst idea ever.

AlternativeAcc.
Death blow to that tiny Chinese man who stans a 7 foot clutz.

Back your bags little guy!

:roll:

Kblaze8855
I wonder what it would take to make me care as much as I used to when people had huge games. Westbrook, Harden, and Luka have had so many games that seemed once in a generation statistically. I don’t know where to put any of it. This guy damn near had a 70 point triple double and I used to get excited texts from people when Kobe had 50. My mom called me to ask if I saw some games back then. It doesn’t feel like normal people care anymore.

Jokic or Giannis will have 50/34/9 next week and it won’t even lead sports center.

Kblaze8855
01-02-2023, 11:16 PM

They have talked about it but it’s unlikely. A few teams practice with one though to encourage good spacing.

StrongLurk
01-02-2023, 11:16 PM
This era :lol

Axe
01-02-2023, 11:17 PM
Xiao about to call him a ballhog from now on.

RRR3
01-02-2023, 11:19 PM
I wonder what it would take to make me care as much as I used to when people had huge games. Westbrook, Harden, and Luka have had so many games that seemed once in a generation statistically. I don’t know where to put any of it. This guy damn near had a 70 point triple double and I used to get excited texts from people when Kobe had 50. My mom called me to ask if I saw some games back then. It doesn’t feel like normal people care anymore.

Jokic or Giannis will have 50/34/9 next week and it won’t even lead sports center.
71 is notable even today.

Sportal
01-02-2023, 11:24 PM
Are they playing All-Star Game defense right now, when are we gonna stop seeing 130+ points per team..

Axe
01-02-2023, 11:24 PM
Are they playing All-Star Game defense right now, when are we gonna stop seeing 130+ points per team..
Get used to it.

Xiao Yao You
01-02-2023, 11:26 PM
Get used to it.

you're certainly happy about it

DocSlam
01-02-2023, 11:31 PM
The itsy bitsy SPIDA is the Biggest MAN on the court!

Sportal
01-02-2023, 11:33 PM
Get used to it.

No, no I don't think I will.

Axe
01-02-2023, 11:35 PM
No, no I don't think I will.
Ok.

AlternativeAcc.
01-02-2023, 11:43 PM
you're certainly happy about it

It's overrrrrrrr bitch

One way ticket to shenghai :banana:

Axe
01-03-2023, 01:39 AM
It's overrrrrrrr bitch

One way ticket to shenghai :banana:
:roll:

Kblaze8855
01-03-2023, 02:11 AM
71 is notable even today.

It is but it’s not even the biggest game in the last few days. And in that period of time Luka had another 50 something, Giannis had back to back games nobody had since Wilt in 62, and Klay had 54 the same night as this. You have to see how it loses luster.

Lebron23
01-03-2023, 02:12 AM
NBA players today are just better

Kblaze8855
01-03-2023, 02:17 AM
NBA players today are just better

You realize the people being scored on more are also playing basketball right?

Shaquille O'Neal
01-03-2023, 06:16 AM
I hope the CAVS and Mitchell keep this up. My son and I have tickets to Suns @ Cavs tomorrow night - we're sitting 2nd row.

Im Still Ballin
01-03-2023, 06:18 AM
Sweet game, Donny.

L.Kizzle
01-03-2023, 06:21 AM
Only three other players have scored more.
100 Wilt
81 Kobe
73 David Thompson

Walk on Water
01-03-2023, 07:16 AM
Mitchell only scored 58 through 4 quarters though. He was sitting at 56 and if he didn't tip it in, it wouldn't have been close to 71.

Axe
01-03-2023, 08:22 AM
Mitchell only scored 58 through 4 quarters though. He was sitting at 56 and if he didn't tip it in, it wouldn't have been close to 71.
Meltdown. Curry could never.

tontoz
01-03-2023, 08:49 AM
So who was attempting to guard DMitch? :oldlol:

Manny98
01-03-2023, 09:05 AM
Only three other players have scored more.
100 Wilt
81 Kobe
73 David Thompson

Mitchell is the only player below 6'5 to score 70+ :bowdown::bowdown:

ArbitraryWater
01-03-2023, 10:10 AM
You realize the people being scored on more are also playing basketball right?

Do you understand how basketball works?

If players were better, then scoring would increase.

Its a scorers game. Defense could increase slightly hypothetically, but when people improve and evolve, it happens in (offensive) skill.

The guy with the ball in his hand is in charge.

If players get better, scores wouldnt be lower but higher.

How is someone of your experience not able to grasp such a simple concept?

Kblaze8855
01-03-2023, 11:03 AM
Do you understand how basketball works?

If players were better, then scoring would increase.

Its a scorers game. Defense could increase slightly hypothetically, but when people improve and evolve, it happens in (offensive) skill.

The guy with the ball in his hand is in charge.

If players get better, scores wouldnt be lower but higher.

How is someone of your experience not able to grasp such a simple concept?

Everyone is playing basketball including the defenders. “Better” is not scoring. Better is basketball. The players don’t need to be “better” scorers to score more when the league artificially reduces the ability of players to defend them.

If the league said you can no longer put your hands above shoulder height on d scores go up. Doesn’t make the scorers better. It makes the defenders worse…by league choice.

Worse defenders give up bigger games and more points by league modifications of the play style. The defenders themselves aren’t to blame but they are indeed worse at their job because the league wants them to be.

Let one guy play like 03 Bowen hed be DPOY every year. He wouldn’t be better at basketball…but his effectiveness would increase artificially. Let a team play physical D like an 04 team and have 04 rules vs them only they would be the best defensive team and players wouldn’t have so many huge games vs them. Wouldn’t make them better. It would just take points from the other team by increasing travels(pre zero step), reduce 3s by allowing you to hold up off ball players more, let you do the dangerous close outs Bowen was infamous for, tap elbows on jumpers like Bruce did Dirk, pull jerseys, and all manor of garbage they eliminated.

Your team would be more effective on D…even if not “better”. The league rigs it the way it wants it. They want stars to be unstoppable.

They made it happen.

ArbitraryWater
01-03-2023, 11:04 AM
Everyone is playing basketball including the defenders. “Better” is not scoring. Better is basketball. The players don’t need to be “better” scorers to score more when the league artificially reduces the ability of players to defend them.

If the league said you can no longer put your hands above shoulder height on d scores go up. Doesn’t make the scorers better. It makes the defenders worse…by league choice.

Worse defenders give up bigger games and worse points by league modifications of the play style. The defenders themselves aren’t to blame but they are indeed worse at their job because the league wants them to be.

Let one guy play like 03 Bowen hed be DPOY every year. He wouldn’t be better at basketball…but his effectiveness would increase artificially. Let a team play physical D like an 03 team and have 04 rules vs them only they would be the best defensive team and players wouldn’t have so many huge games vs them. Wouldn’t make them better. It would just take points from the other team by increasing travels(pre zero step), reduce 3s by allowing you to hold up off ball players more, let you do the dangerous close outs Bowen was infamous for, tap elbows on jumpers like Bruce did Dirk, pull jerseys, and all manor of garbage they eliminated.

Your team would be more effective on D…even if not “better”. The league rigs it the way it wants it. They want stars to be unstoppable.

They made it happen.

You really dont get this?

If players would be better, then scoring would increase, not decrease.

Because its a scorers game.

The defender has less of a say than the offensive player.

If you dont look at this current league and notice there is way more perimeter talent than there used to be, I cant help you.

Kblaze8855
01-03-2023, 11:12 AM
You really dont get this?

If players would be better, then scoring would increase, not decrease.

Because its a scorers game.

The defender has less of a say than the offensive player.

If you dont look at this current league and notice there is way more perimeter talent than there used to be, I cant help you.

You saying it again doesn’t make it more true.

Players don’t change by the margin you can change the game by small adjustments in rules.

They did it this easily….

They decided this normal effort of preventing someone getting open was a foul:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TinyLightAustralianfreshwatercrocodile-size_restricted.gif

This is literally the next play:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdventurousSolidDobermanpinscher-size_restricted.gif

They called it again.

Freedom of movement. Emphasize it early and often. Make teams realize you can’t play the defense that was allowed for 100 years anymore. Suddenly you can’t keep anyone from their spots or do anything to stop them being comfortable.

Call it 150 times and send out clips. Have players get 4 fouls in the first a couple preseason games where nobody looks…just like that…you make scorers “better”.

The players don’t have to actually improve. You improve their performance regardless.

ArbitraryWater
01-03-2023, 11:32 AM
Youre taking about a competey different thing.

The initia argument of yours was, if payers get better, that woud not mean scoring woud increase, because theyd get better on defense as we. that was your retort to ebron23s post.

Thats fase and kinda dumb.

if payers woud get better, scoring woud increase. it woud be noticed on the offensive end, not the defensive end.

besides the fact that if payers aim to get better, they woud work on offensive skils.

Kblaze8855
01-03-2023, 11:36 AM
Let’s make this very simple.

In 1961 the Celtics scored 121ppg.

They have scored less every year since.

You(correctly) believe the players now are better.

Consider those three facts for a moment.

Now come tell me again improving players score more and it isn’t offset by improving defenses.

Say that to me again.

tontoz
01-03-2023, 11:51 AM
The bs touch fouls are the thing that bothers me the most about the current NBA.

Airupthere
01-03-2023, 11:55 AM
Were there doubles or traps?

E_Stamkos
01-03-2023, 12:11 PM

And we're only talking like 10-12 years ago where the tide of public opinion has altered.

50 point games used to feel remarkably special. Now it's run of the mill activity that nobody bats an eye too.

Not sure I like it but it is what it is.

ArbitraryWater
01-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Let’s make this very simple.

In 1961 the Celtics scored 121ppg.

They have scored less every year since.

You(correctly) believe the players now are better.

Consider those three facts for a moment.

Now come tell me again improving players score more and it isn’t offset by improving defenses.

Say that to me again.

Youre going off on a tangent.

Defenses dont improve, generationay speaking. Ony in strategy. They coud decrease due to rues, sure.

Reaction times wont increase.

Its the physica that increases. And the repetition/habit (shooting touch, bigger guys shooting more/better).

But even if reaction times woud increase, the offense woud sti have the fina say.

I dont care much for the year to year comparisons, but about you understanding that IF payers woud improve, scoring woud INCREASE.

thats a very simpe concept.

Kblaze8855
01-03-2023, 01:04 PM
It’s an obviously incorrect concept when players have(to you) been improving for decades and not scoring more. There is a rough cap on what can realistically happen in the confines of any rule set and it doesn’t go up much if at all.

Youll be saying players “today” are much better in 20 years and they still won’t be scoring much differently than they do now.

The top scorers will score 30ish barring few exceptions that are weird even for the time and it’s been that way for 60 years.

You don’t automatically score more when you get better. Plenty of players get better and score less because basketball and scoring aren’t the same thing and many factors determine how they play out beyond how good you are individually.

PeroAntic
01-03-2023, 01:07 PM
The bs touch fouls are the thing that bothers me the most about the current NBA.

The bigger problem is that it fosters a general attitude among players that its just not worth trying on defense because you will just get punished with fouls. So players are conditioned to be lackadaisical on defense. In the highlights I saw Lavine and Derozan basically getting out of Mitchells way when hes driving and not even trying.