PDA

View Full Version : Time for a NEW top-10 List

StrongLurk
01-02-2023, 11:30 PM
Because the NBA of the last few years just cannot be compared to anything I've seen in the last 30+ years.

The talent level is of course high in the NBA, maybe higher than ever, but the game has been "broken/figured" out with the current extreme pace/space format. To make things even worse, defensive rules have been neutered over the past two decades.

Maybe I am overreacting, but based on the eye test and NBA-level stats...the current regular season is almost a "joke" which I never thought I would ever say. We just cannot compare production of even the SAME players like Lebron/KD to what they were doing a decade ago when they were better players.

Basically we have the pre-3-point era GOATs - Mikan, Russell, Wilt, Oscar, Jerry West, Baylor, Julius Erving, Kareem, etc...Kareem could also be in the 3-point era GOAT list.

We then have what we know as the 3-point era - 1980-2020. We know these GOAT best - MJ, Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Bird, Magic, Curry, KD etc.

The "new" top-10 era starts these past few years - Guys like Giannis, Joker, Luka are leading the charge there.

RRR3
01-02-2023, 11:46 PM
I shudder to imagine what 09 LeBron would do to this league. 40/12/10

ShawkFactory
01-02-2023, 11:49 PM
I shudder to imagine what 09 LeBron would do to this league. 40/12/10

No.

RRR3
01-02-2023, 11:51 PM
No.
He’s averaging like 28/8/6 at 38

ShawkFactory
01-02-2023, 11:53 PM
He’s averaging like 28/8/6 at 38

I know what his numbers are. Why would you think that that's a good argument?

35/10/9? Sure.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-03-2023, 12:01 AM
Peak Kobe and Lebron would look like absolute cyborgs today.

ShawkFactory
01-03-2023, 12:05 AM
na.. he would be zion with more assists. you need to be a do it all sloth to dominate this era. lebron didn't have the 3 ball back then

He didn't have a consistent 3 but in 09 his game was far more advanced than Zion's is now.

RRR3
01-03-2023, 12:11 AM
na.. he would be zion with more assists. you need to be a do it all sloth to dominate this era. lebron didn't have the 3 ball back then
Giannis is one of the worst 3pt shooters ever. You’re retarded.

RRR3
01-03-2023, 12:11 AM
Peak Kobe and Lebron would look like absolute cyborgs today.
Yep. So many players I wish I could have seen in their prime in this league.

RRR3
01-03-2023, 12:29 AM
is giannis averaging 40
32/12/5. Now consider even young LeBron was an infinitely better shooter. Meltdown.

Overdrive
01-03-2023, 12:30 AM
The game wasn't figured out suddenly. It's just the rule chances. Euro-Basketball was looking for spacing and open shots since I can remember, because that's the way you punish zone defense. The big difference is - aside from starpower - that penetration is way harder because offensive players aren't babied by the rules.

FKAri
01-03-2023, 12:37 AM
I think the issue is that at it's core, basketball is just a really dumb ****ing game that should've been left for elementary school gyms like Naismith intended.

FKAri
01-03-2023, 12:50 AM
now it is. it used to be artistry. go back and watch some old laker/bulls/spurs games when they worked the ball around 4 or 5 times with everyone in motion

Well I'm only being half serious. The half truth is that it's not so much that the game has gotten worse(though it has). It's more that it's revealed to me that the game will have problems in any state given enough time.

StrongLurk
01-03-2023, 04:18 PM
I'd like to see more physicality allowed on the perimeter and for the NBA to get rid of the ridiculous jump-shooting fouls that are called every game.

It would also be nice to see bigs be allowed to camp at the rim on defense again. This would actually be a risky strategy since it would allow teams even more open jumpshots, but at least we would get rid of so many damn uncontested layups. Seriously, a guy like Luka literally waltzes into the paint whenever he wants and and the defense still can't even defend the rim when Luka eventually shoots his slow layup...It makes sense for guys like Zion/Lebron to still finish at the rim no matter what defense, but Luka shouldn't be able to do just as good as them.

NBAGOAT
01-03-2023, 04:47 PM
math made the 3ball era. There have been some rule changes but handchecking was gone in 05. Physicality would help but you'll just be more efficient and score more when you turn all long 2s into 3 pointers. also there's an emphasis on getting layups ofc rather than say post ups. always having 4 floor spacers instead of say 2 will make interior scoring easier too. Even on the worst teams you cant just throw a hard double on a star.

Also any game will get less strategically diverse over time. in the beginning people are trying strategies they invented but eventually you'll figure out what's optimal and what isnt. See football and how the standard run/pass ratio went from 50/50 to 45/55 or how fewer openings are used in higher level chess play now. I play poker and it went from a very feel based game as recently as 10 years ago to one where most good players are following the same strategies now thanks to software AI etc

dankok8
01-03-2023, 07:02 PM
Any all-time greats would feast in this era. There is massive inflation in stats going on right now!

Full Court
01-03-2023, 08:26 PM
Sounds like someone wants multiple lists because that's the only chance Bronie ever has at being #1 on a list?

:lebronamazed: