PDA

View Full Version : Part of the Reason DeMarcus Cousins isn't in the NBA is his off-court conduct

bdonovan
01-06-2023, 05:33 AM
Not sure where Cousins is these days, some months ago there was a rumor he was headed for Taiwan (https://basketnews.com/news-181419-demarcus-cousins-reportedly-moving-to-taiwan.html).

One thing for certain- he's not in the NBA.

He could get picked up with a 10-day contract or something, but who knows.

He has been slowed down by injuries, but if you look at his contribution per 36 minutes (I know this isn't the most reliable stat), he still has solid points, rebounds (https://www.nba.com/stats/player/202326/career?PerMode=Per36).

Dude is only 32.

I used to think Cousins got a bad rap for his "attitude". That maybe if he wasn't such a scary looking guy to some people, maybe they would be fine with his "passion" for the game.

....That was until he joined the Warriors (my team) where I could watch him up close. And I can see how he could be perceived as a negative to the clubhouse dynamics.

One thing you want of a teammate is that they are 'on the team'- you're all rowing in the same direction. You don't air dirty laundry, you don't take grievances public, or insult your teammates.

One incident stands out to me. Cousins was new to the team. He was playing assertive defense, which was fine, but he fouled out. The Warriors on the sideline stood up and gave him a high-5 as he was coming off the court. It was a good gesture- just showing appreciation for his putting effort on the defensive end and that they supported him even if he fouled out.

Cousin's response. To publicly tell some interviewer that his teammates showed him "fake love". There's a bunch of things wrong with this:

1. Don't attack your teammates when they're trying to support you.
2. Don't attack your teammates publicly
3. Don't impugn the character- most of all- of your teammates. To say someone is fake or disingenuous is a low blow.

There's just something wrong with one's mentality if you turn a good thing into a bad thing. This sort of thing causes a lot of bad will between teammates.

Cousins spoke with Bob Myers, GM of Warriors, not too long ago and asked "Why am I out of the NBA?". Myers had the guts to tell Cousins that his personality was part of it, that "people didn't know what he was going to say".

Now, some may argue too much is made of this. Keep in mind this is just ONE example.

I now believe commentators are bullshitters when they say "team chemistry" doesn't really matter and teams can win even if they hate one another. Very unlikely with the team play needed to win. I've watched the game long enough; it just doesn't work that way or at minimum, you reduce your odds significantly.

An ornery person who doesn't gel with his teammates, who knock them for no reason to the press, dissolves the team ethic that you need to win. It's not worth the points or rebounds or anything else.

When Cousins was at the top of his game, people could look the other way. This habit has come back to bite him in the tail end of his career.

meat
01-06-2023, 06:23 AM
Yea. He's an asshole. Always been one. I don't care to ever see him play again.

Im Still Ballin
01-06-2023, 08:54 AM
Just a bad character guy. All the turnovers, fouls, tech fouls, erratic shots, not getting back on defense, and toxic behavior negated any positives. It's why he couldn't lead a winning team to save his life.

Put Karl Malone's mind in his body and he'd have accomplished infinitely more in the NBA. He'd still be in the league.

Axe
01-06-2023, 08:59 AM
Someone tell him that the 'free lunch' he wanted ain't something that's supposed to be handed out for free like those foods stamps.

PeroAntic
01-06-2023, 10:06 AM
Haven't heard any former teammate of his speak badly about him. Every time I have seen him in practice with his teams and USA basketball, he seems to be part of the group with a lot of jokes and good atmosphere. Unfortunately bad reputation is hard to beat even if its wrong or for some traits you had a long time ago.

Xiao Yao You
01-06-2023, 10:42 AM
He was in the league when he could play despite all the other stuff. The reason he is out now is he's just not that good

Axe
01-06-2023, 05:18 PM
He was in the league when he could play despite all the other stuff. The reason he is out now is he's just not that good
56 > 35 :kobe:

Spurs m8
01-06-2023, 05:42 PM
Apparently the Lakers are giving him a shot

Jasper
01-07-2023, 12:02 AM
Bucks had him , and quite frankly he was very good for them.
This is when last year Lopez was down , and Portis took on the brunt of the minutes.
He was a good teammate , played team ball, and played a role.

He is more mature now then 8 years ago.
I was sorry Bucks didn't offer him a full contract

Real Men Wear Green
01-07-2023, 08:03 AM
Just a bad character guy. All the turnovers, fouls, tech fouls, erratic shots, not getting back on defense, and toxic behavior negated any positives. It's why he couldn't lead a winning team to save his life.

Put Karl Malone's mind in his body and he'd have accomplished infinitely more in the NBA. He'd still be in the league.

Did you know that Karl Malone got a 13 year old girl pregnant and then refused to acknowledge the offspring? Cousins may be a jerk but he's never done anything that bad or even close. Not exactly the point you are touching on when you discuss his character I know but it just feels wrong to let that slide without saying anything.

Xiao Yao You
01-07-2023, 08:42 AM
Did you know that Karl Malone got a 13 year old girl pregnant and then refused to acknowledge the offspring? Cousins may be a jerk but he's never done anything that bad or even close. Not exactly the point you are touching on when you discuss his character I know but it just feels wrong to let that slide without saying anything.

Malone was one of the greatest players ever. Cousins was one of the biggest underachievers

Real Men Wear Green
01-07-2023, 08:52 AM
Malone was one of the greatest players ever. Cousins was one of the biggest underachievers

Discussion is about character. Had nothing to do with who had a better career. You could maybe excuse sleeping with a minor as a one time thing where you got drunk at a party and she looked 18. But to follow up statutory rape by completely neglecting the child you had with the underage girl? There's no story about yelling at teammates or whatever that Cousins had done that is worse than that. If you are a parent you understand how much our children need us. And he does this on top of being a child molester.

PeroAntic
01-07-2023, 09:26 AM
Bucks had him , and quite frankly he was very good for them.
This is when last year Lopez was down , and Portis took on the brunt of the minutes.
He was a good teammate , played team ball, and played a role.

He is more mature now then 8 years ago.
I was sorry Bucks didn't offer him a full contract

Pretty much. but thats how it goes these days, people form an opinion about you and no matter what you do afterwards it won't ever change.

90sgoat
01-07-2023, 10:09 AM
He always seemed like a bully, but worse than that, a drama queen, someone who would be catty and bitchy.

There's a reason Letterman made that joke about him acting like an angry lesbian.

Im Still Ballin
01-07-2023, 11:33 AM
He always seemed like a bully, but worse than that, a drama queen, someone who would be catty and bitchy.

There's a reason Letterman made that joke about him acting like an angry lesbian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WsBGHMMWlA

90sgoat
01-07-2023, 11:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WsBGHMMWlA

He's unhinged.

Like legit a personality disorder.

Im Still Ballin
01-07-2023, 11:57 AM
He's unhinged.

Like legit a personality disorder.

Agreed. He had such physical talent but his personality made him waste all of that. Any positive impact was negated by his

- 4+ turnovers per game
- 4+ fouls per game
- Technical fouls giving up free throws
- Constantly getting blocked at the rim
- Erratic bad shots, particularly in the clutch
- Never getting back on defense fast enough
- Taking too long to get into the frontcourt on offense
- Creating a negative environment around the team

You add up all those things and it's no wonder why he couldn't win more than 33 games in Sacramento. His taking too long to get back on defense probably gave the opposing team 3-4 easy baskets a game alone.

The thing is he had adequate help from guys like Rudy Gay, Isiah Thomas, and Darren Collison. Most true stars would be at least 10+ game better and above .500%.

I honestly think if you implanted Tim Duncan's mind into DeMarcus' body, he'd have been an all-time great. He was 6'9.5" in shoes, strong built, had a 7'5.75" wingspan, and a massive 9'5" standing reach. Had a good enough shooting stroke, hands, and touch.

With Duncan, David Robinson, or Karl Malone's mind, he would've never been fat and out of shape like he was most of the time. He would've been lighter on his feet, had the right level of endurance to give a 100% effort, and he would've played the game unselfishly, as a team player.

90sgoat
01-07-2023, 12:09 PM
Worst case of self sabotage since Anthony Bennet.

Which is why I think he has some personality disorder, because he just kept shooting himself in the foot. And someone had to try to tell him to not **** it up, but he couldn't help himself. Maybe Borderline personality disorder.

He had like a season of 25/10/5 or something right? Imagine not turning that into a max contract as a center.

ImKobe
01-07-2023, 12:15 PM
Apparently the Lakers are giving him a shot

They shouldn't now that Thomas Bryant been balling for LA.. Lakers should be looking at wings and not another big.

DMC can still be a good role player and give some PO team 10-15 mpg if they need it but he's just a black hole who you bring in for some quick offense in a short stretch while giving your star a breather.

PeroAntic
01-07-2023, 12:44 PM
Agreed. He had such physical talent but his personality made him waste all of that. Any positive impact was negated by his

- 4+ turnovers per game
- 4+ fouls per game
- Technical fouls giving up free throws
- Constantly getting blocked at the rim
- Erratic bad shots, particularly in the clutch
- Never getting back on defense fast enough
- Taking too long to get into the frontcourt on offense
- Creating a negative environment around the team

You add up all those things and it's no wonder why he couldn't win more than 33 games in Sacramento. His taking too long to get back on defense probably gave the opposing team 3-4 easy baskets a game alone.

The thing is he had adequate help from guys like Rudy Gay, Isiah Thomas, and Darren Collison. Most true stars would be at least 10+ game better and above .500%.

I honestly think if you implanted Tim Duncan's mind into DeMarcus' body, he'd have been an all-time great. He was 6'9.5" in shoes, strong built, had a 7'5.75" wingspan, and a massive 9'5" standing reach. Had a good enough shooting stroke, hands, and touch.

With Duncan, David Robinson, or Karl Malone's mind, he would've never been fat and out of shape like he was most of the time. He would've been lighter on his feet, had the right level of endurance to give a 100% effort, and he would've played the game unselfishly, as a team player.

Youre talking about 5 years ago, maybe even 10. Right now, Cousins is being blackballed.

Xiao Yao You
01-07-2023, 07:06 PM
Youre talking about 5 years ago, maybe even 10. Right now, Cousins is being blackballed.

if he was good you might be able to say that but even when he was supposedly good he was a negative. You want someone that can play D or hit 3's. Something he's never done well

warriorfan
01-07-2023, 07:11 PM
in his scouting report I think on draft express said “has the worst body language I have ever seen” :lol

Xiao Yao You
01-07-2023, 07:25 PM
in his scouting report i think on draft express said “has the worst body language i have ever seen” :lol

yep he was always pouting

Axe
01-07-2023, 07:56 PM
in his scouting report I think on draft express said “has the worst body language I have ever seen” :lol
Never forget he became a part of your team.