PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about Lamelo.

Kblaze8855
01-06-2023, 10:24 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MagnificentHarmlessAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

You in or out?

Spuddywebby
01-06-2023, 11:13 AM
LaMelo is a good player and I hope as he gets older he becomes more of an offensive minded Jason Kidd type but the problem with that play you posted is that when you are dribbling the ball 30 feet from the basket for 6-8 seconds, it’s just stalls the offense, everyone stands there looking at him and if he misses that shot, it’s most likely a fast break layup the other way. With the game on the line and seconds left, sure go one on one and take over. But as a normal course of business, that’s the dumb AAU/Instagram crap that young players think is what basketball is and leads to 1 dimensional players.

Jasper
01-06-2023, 11:22 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MagnificentHarmlessAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

You in or out?

This was against Bucks Carter who is a pretty tough defender , Ball was trying to get a step to free up his jumper over a shorter defender.
Lamelo as well as Bulls Ball are both very good players that impact their teams.

tontoz
01-06-2023, 11:33 AM
Not a fan of that play but i don't know how often he does that. I haven't watched them.

Lamelo's problem is the same as his brother's. Both guys struggle inside the arc.

Full Court
01-06-2023, 11:37 AM
I'm a fan of the guy. He has an style of play that's fun to watch, and he has tremendous potential. He's better than his brother inside the arc. He's actually a decent finisher.

Kblaze8855
01-06-2023, 11:56 AM
I’m not a big fan of the play myself, but I genuinely think we’re reaching a point where that’s what’s going to be expected. Too many people do that shit for coaches to not be encouraging it even if tacitly, by not stopping it.

I think the analytics might point to that being the proper way to play. When you get to the half court abuse your man one on one if possible because you score or get fouled most of the time. With the rate that the best scorers can score one on one? What’s the mathematical reason to pass the ball unless it’s for layup or an open three which is the result of the other team doubling you?

We have multiple players shooting as much as or more than Allen Iverson ever shot per minute and every single one of them are on teams with considerably more offensive talent then he had when he did it.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence the way these young stars are playing. Someone’s telling them to do it or at least looking the other way. They only look to make plays in transition. When it’s time to get into a set?

We might be 5 years from non stop iso play.

FultzNationRISE
01-06-2023, 12:16 PM
I don’t think it’s a coincidence the way these young stars are playing. Someone’s telling them to do it or at least looking the other way. They only look to make plays in transition. When it’s time to get into a set?

We might be 5 years from non stop iso play.

I wonder if it's not mainly just a counter strategy.

For instance the Warriors, Celtics, Nuggets dont currently do this and they're three of the best teams. Last year's champions and two of this year's top contenders. But... theyre also loaded with talent. So if you have a team with LeBron or LaMelo or LuKa and no supporting talent, there's no chance to beat good teams at their own game. Instead you try to ride your stallion and hope it's effective enough as a counter strategy.

Theres no question team ball trumps iso ball in the long run, all else being equal. But if you simply have an inferior team, with one elite player who can take over on a given night, it may be your best bet to go that way and hope you get a run of luck.

Im not sure, but possibly that's why we're seeing so much of this. The top teams still have pretty good ball movement.

Full Court
01-06-2023, 02:03 PM
I wonder if it's not mainly just a counter strategy.

For instance the Warriors, Celtics, Nuggets dont currently do this and they're three of the best teams. Last year's champions and two of this year's top contenders. But... theyre also loaded with talent. So if you have a team with LeBron or LaMelo or LuKa and no supporting talent, there's no chance to beat good teams at their own game. Instead you try to ride your stallion and hope it's effective enough as a counter strategy.

Theres no question team ball trumps iso ball in the long run, all else being equal. But if you simply have an inferior team, with one elite player who can take over on a given night, it may be your best bet to go that way and hope you get a run of luck.

Im not sure, but possibly that's why we're seeing so much of this. The top teams still have pretty good ball movement.

Agree, and it's definitely no coincidence. I like Lamelo, but I'm not really a fan of the play in the OP. In this day of everything revolving around social media though, stuff like that gets clips that get noticed. So I expect that's why players are doing it.

If I were a coach, I'd have a five second rule. When you have the ball, you have five seconds to shoot or pass.