PDA

View Full Version : According to Larry Johnson only LeBron, Kawhi and Embiid could have play in the 90's'

Lebron23
01-11-2023, 08:50 PM
https://www.basketballnetwork.net/latest-news/larry-johnson-on-todays-stars-setting-nba-records?fbclid=IwAR1qMoZMQVUYryim4uxjYbc2zVcMoq_PF reCnoQY1YcbaLjGszMTVtp_vDs

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/.image/c_limit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_700/MTk1MDI0MjAxMDEzMjczNzk5/larry-johnson.webp

"For an individual to score 60 or 70 on you, you’re not playing defense" - Larry Johnson on today's stars setting NBA records

If you don't play D, "Grandmama" will call you out

After a series of insane performances by Donovan Mitchell, Luka Doncic, and Giannis Antetokounmpo, among others, the internet buzzed, and the NBA community raved. However, 90s NBA star Larry Johnson wasn't too impressed. For "Grandmama," there's no way any of the guys mentioned above would've scored 60 or 70 if someone from the defensive end was doing his job.

Grandmama knows something's not right
For those who didn't know, Johnson was one of those 90s NBA legends who lived and breathed physical basketball. Johnson knows that back in his time, 70-point performances never happened, not because his era lacked lethal scorers but because it was plagued with relentless lockdown defenders. So, seeing stars like Mitchell and Doncic rack up those points, "Grandmama" could tell outright something's not adding up.

"Hold on here. Now let's see some defense out of these teams. For an individual to score 60 or 70 on you, you're not playing defense. #Truth by LJ," Johnson wrote on a Facebook post.

90s defense was different
Truth be told, Johnson has a point. Because why bother stopping your opponent from scoring when you could just outscore him on the other end? But while that mentality appears to be becoming somewhat of a trend in the NBA these days, "Grandmama" could still single out a few players who still defend and play hard. Players whom Johnson thinks could fare quite well in the physicality of the 90s NBA.

And when we say a few, it really is a few, as the only modern-day NBA stars who made the cut on LJ's list were Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, and Joel Embiid.

"I always thought like, we look at these youngsters, and I go okay, 'Who could have played with us?' You know, [Kawhi] Leonard, of course, I think cause he plays defense first. So I think Kawhi definitely would've fit in. Of course, LeBron because he got the big body. He can play. I don't think he'd be as dominant as with us as he is with these youngsters, you know. He would get into some fights… You got Joel Embiid. Embiid is just dominating everybody cause he is willing to go down low and do it."

Some fans would now think Johnson was just sour and jealous like other old heads out there. Regardless of what people say, one thing is inevitable is that if you don't play defense, "Grandmama" will call you out!

FultzNationRISE
01-11-2023, 09:00 PM
Problem is if you stop a guy from getting 70 nowadays his teammates are just gonna bomb away behind the arc and drop 150.

So while he's right that virtually nobody besides Lebron could play in the 90s, it's because the rules allow finesse players to score more these days. Not necessarily that dudes arent trying on D. But ofc Lebron is a best-of-both-worlds guy so he thrives in any era.

FultzNationRISE
01-11-2023, 09:04 PM
Also:

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/138058777/photo/family-matters-grandmama-airdate-november-5-1993-larry-johnson-jaleel-white.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=fPux_JW8DuoKdExCMDyj6WcJAHEasyV8Mi-mcfUqiyM=

GOAT decade :bowdown:

(Not for basketball, just in general)

ArbitraryWater
01-11-2023, 09:22 PM
what does can / cant even mean?

The others woudnt have gotten a job or what?

Stupid comments

Lebron23
01-11-2023, 09:30 PM
Problem is if you stop a guy from getting 70 nowadays his teammates are just gonna bomb away behind the arc and drop 150.

So while he's right that virtually nobody besides Lebron could play in the 90s, it's because the rules allow finesse players to score more these days. Not necessarily that dudes arent trying on D. But ofc Lebron is a best-of-both-worlds guy so he thrives in any era.

True. Back in the 1990's Miller, Rice and Smith were considered elite 3 points shooter. nowadays most guys are better than them

Real Men Wear Green
01-11-2023, 09:50 PM
Johnson is misunderstanding how the game changed. Guys are still trying to defend just the rules and the approach to the three hsve made out harder to stop guys. But he probably just wants to act like his time had the best players and the current players are too soft. I would actually agree that most modern stretch 4s would struggle with post defense on a guy like Zo or Karl Malone but they would have a hard time with perimeter d themselves.

8Ball
01-11-2023, 09:55 PM
Johnson is misunderstanding how the game changed. Guys are still trying to defend just the rules and the approach to the three hsve made out harder to stop guys. But he probably just wants to act like his time had the best players and the current players are too soft. I would actually agree that most modern stretch 4s would struggle with post defense on a guy like Zo or Karl Malone but they would have a hard time with perimeter d themselves.

This 100%. Every single team would run high post pick and rolls to death against slow footed centers and 4s and the PPP on those plays are insane in modern NBA.

All NBA coaches were forced to immediately adapt to this modern playstyle from 2016 onwards.

Kblaze8855
01-11-2023, 10:19 PM
what does can / cant even mean?

The others woudnt have gotten a job or what?

Stupid comments

I think it’s clear he doesn’t mean literally. If you asked him how did Osterteg play ten seasons but Steven Adams couldn’t make the league I’m sure he’d clarify.

eliteballer
01-11-2023, 11:28 PM
I think it’s clear he doesn’t mean literally. If you asked him how did Osterteg play ten seasons but Steven Adams couldn’t make the league I’m sure he’d clarify.

Because they made the league soft to make it easier for smaller players to score and make the game "exciting" so the big men required in a physical defensive oriented league got legislated out.

Axe
01-12-2023, 12:17 AM
Remember when a pompous retard here once said curry was about to drop 70 points against the nets two years ago? A game which was also durant's debut against his former team in chase center?

Yep, that was a super dumb thing to say since it never happened at all. :oldlol:

Spurs m8
01-12-2023, 12:21 AM
Lol not little wiggle...too soft.
As is LeFeather

Kawhi I agree with, he'd manage half a season most seasons

Overdrive
01-12-2023, 12:35 AM
There were as many 70 point games in the 90s as there were in the 2000, 10 and 20s so far.

90sgoat
01-12-2023, 03:26 AM
True. Back in the 1990's Miller, Rice and Smith were considered elite 3 points shooter. nowadays most guys are better than them

Nice troll.

Don't who Smith is (Kenny?), but Reggie and Rice would obviously be superstars.

Glen Rice is who I am most interested in, he was tall and athletic and a decent defender. He'd be very versatile and play a lot more PF.

90sgoat
01-12-2023, 03:28 AM
I think LJ sees all these skinnies and as a big boy he kind of feels they are soft.

When you're big boned and strong like me and LJ, you kind of always have disdain for the skinnies, but you can't say it out loud.

Lebron, Kawhi, Embiid, those are big boys.

LJ is right that there was a greater premium on athleticism back then. Being able to jump, off two feet (3ball come back), was a specific skill, because you could finish at rim.