PDA

View Full Version : The nfl is a better product

GrayGoat
01-16-2023, 12:22 AM
Upsets galore. Nba can’t compete

highwhey
01-16-2023, 12:24 AM
Upsets galore. Nba can’t compete

well the nfl hasn't banned defense like the nba.

AlternativeAcc.
01-16-2023, 12:25 AM
Because football is a far superior sport. Always has been.

It's chess meets combat. Greatest sport ever invented.

SouBeachTalents
01-16-2023, 12:28 AM
You just can't compete with the once a week and single game elimination format that the NFL has. If Bills/Dolphins & Bengals/Ravens were best of 7 series you wouldn't even have any interest to watch due to the underdog having virtually no chance to win. But turn that into a single game where anything can happen? As we saw today, both teams nearly pulled off massive upsets.

Compare that to an 82 game slog and best of 7 series where upsets rarely happen, it just doesn't compare. Imo it's more a reflection of the formats of the league than anything else.

bison
01-16-2023, 12:30 AM
Football is boring. It’s 5% actual action and 95% standing around, huddling and commercials.:sleeping.

Soccer >>>>

GrayGoat
01-16-2023, 12:32 AM
Football is boring. It’s 5% actual action and 95% standing around, huddling and commercials.:sleeping.

Soccer >>>>

You are a joke. Go watch bowling you old fvxk

theman93
01-16-2023, 12:33 AM
You just can't compete with the once a week and single game elimination format that the NFL has. If Bills/Dolphins & Bengals/Ravens were best of 7 series you wouldn't even have any interest to watch due to the underdog having virtually no chance to win. But turn that into a single game where anything can happen? As we saw today, both teams nearly pulled off massive upsets.

Compare that to an 82 game slog and best of 7 series where upsets rarely happen, it just doesn't compare. Imo it's more a reflection of the formats of the league than anything else.

Well the play-in tournament gives us that single elimination format and the NBA's ratings on those nights still don't compare to the NFL. There's a reason Inside the NBA on TNT moved from Thursday night to Tuesday night. They can't complete

kawhileonard2
01-16-2023, 12:35 AM
That's why the ratings are galore.

SouBeachTalents
01-16-2023, 12:36 AM
Well the play-in tournament gives us that single elimination format and the NBA's ratings on those nights still don't compare to the NFL. There's a reason Inside the NBA on TNT moved from Thursday night to Tuesday night. They can't complete
I'm not even disputing the NFL would still have much better ratings regardless, but c'mon, you can't possibly compare games determining the 7th & 8th seeds to the NFL playoffs, that's ridiculous :lol

theman93
01-16-2023, 12:53 AM
I'm not even disputing the NFL would still have much better ratings regardless, but c'mon, you can't possibly compare games determining the 7th & 8th seeds to the NFL playoffs, that's ridiculous :lol

Sure I can. Plus, all you have to do is compare game 7 ratings to NFL ratings. Not even close lol

theman93
01-16-2023, 12:58 AM
Celtics-Heat 2022 ECF game 7 had 9.88 million viewers. The NFL's 2021 regular season averaged 17.1 million viewers.

Mask the Embiid
01-16-2023, 01:17 AM
Football is a religion in America. The same way soccer is too the rest of the world. These people will stand in freezing cold temperatures in nose bleeds for their God.Basketball will never compete in ratings.

Spurs m8
01-16-2023, 01:19 AM
Well there you go...op and I actually agree on something

1987_Lakers
01-16-2023, 01:24 AM
NFL has come a long way from they annual super bowl blowout from 1983-1996.

1987_Lakers
01-16-2023, 01:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-KYHlT9-8s

fsvr54
01-16-2023, 01:52 AM
Because football is a far superior sport. Always has been.

It's chess meets combat. Greatest sport ever invented.

lay off the crack

Basketball is by far the greatest sport ever created and it's not remotely close

Spurs m8
01-16-2023, 02:35 AM
lay off the crack

Basketball is by far the greatest sport ever created and it's not remotely close

No, it isn't

Especially the nba version...its barely sport

bison
01-16-2023, 02:41 AM
lay off the crack

No other sport combines individuality and teamwork like basketball (with the exception of soccer). Football is very mechanical, robotic and there is no individuality. It doesn’t have ebb and flow of momentum like basketball, it doesn’t have suspense of game winning situations like in basketball. Close games in football are settled by field goals. Very boring. The fact is people only watch football because it’s violent. No strategy or skill. It’s very low brow which is why it’s popular in America and nowhere else.

AlternativeAcc.
01-16-2023, 03:01 AM
No other sport combines individuality and teamwork like basketball (with the exception of soccer). Football is very mechanical, robotic and there is no individuality. It doesn’t have ebb and flow of momentum like basketball, it doesn’t have suspense of game winning situations like in basketball. Close games in football are settled by field goals. Very boring. The fact is people only watch football because it’s violent. No strategy or skill. It’s very low brow which is why it’s popular in America and nowhere else.
Probably the worst analysis of football in human history :oldlol:

You just told everybody how ignorant you are to the game of football very very effectively.

SouBeachTalents
01-16-2023, 03:09 AM
It doesn’t have ebb and flow of momentum like basketball,

it doesn’t have suspense of game winning situations like in basketball.

No strategy or skill
This is without a doubt one the most misinformed posts I've ever read. This isn't even an issue of you not liking football, you legitimately have no idea what you're talking about in regards to it. I specified these 3 points because they're so astonishingly incorrect.

Spurs m8
01-16-2023, 03:41 AM

Ummm mate....what?

I always back you, but here I just can't haha

You might need to learn the game

Of all the sports i enjoy, this definitely took the longest to get into...and took a few tries.

BUT, once I got there, the reward was huge...so enjoyable

bison
01-16-2023, 03:42 AM
Football has skill if running fast or being a big overweight linesman is considered a skill I guess. You could say wide receiver requires footwork and QB passing requires skill but those are the exceptions. All the other men on the field are essentially props and doing nothing but bashing each other.

Also how can you have momentum in football when play stops every 5 seconds ? You can’t have runs in football like you do in basketball

Phoenix
01-16-2023, 07:22 AM
Basketball in North America will never have the same reverence as Football, it just won't. Just off the top there's just way more sense of urgency with weekly games and playoff one and dones. And that's without getting into breaking down the X's and O's of each sport respectively.

Wally450
01-16-2023, 09:42 AM

How can you type all that and have it amount to absolutely nothing? It’s actually quite impressive lol.

FKAri
01-16-2023, 10:51 AM

Too much start and stop is a valid criticism but most of these opinions are from a lack of understanding than a problem with how it is. I do see your individuality critique. I have a problem with the fact that coaches and people off the field have too much agency in the game. The players are a bit too much like pawns compared to most other team sports.

FultzNationRISE
01-16-2023, 11:27 AM
Crazy that Lebron could have been the face of the NFL too.

What an absolutely glorious King.

1987_Lakers
01-16-2023, 11:31 AM

Wow

theman93
01-16-2023, 01:19 PM
Football has skill if running fast or being a big overweight linesman is considered a skill I guess. You could say wide receiver requires footwork and QB passing requires skill but those are the exceptions. All the other men on the field are essentially props and doing nothing but bashing each other.

Also how can you have momentum in football when play stops every 5 seconds ? You can’t have runs in football like you do in basketball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHyjR__k3XA

getting_old
01-16-2023, 01:49 PM
Gambling is far better in the NFL.

Personally, I've lost interest in the NFL, a sports addict since 1973, as players are mostly anonymous and the QB seems to be 95% of a team's success.

The Bills can crap the bed all game long and are bailed out by a great QB with an epic arm and has to run for his life quite often (one day he will be righteously clocked!)

ShawkFactory
01-16-2023, 02:03 PM

I love how you’re doubling down on your football ignorance :lol

SouBeachTalents
01-16-2023, 02:18 PM
No ones going to point out that he claimed football doesn't have any strategy? That was legitimately the dumbest thing of all :lol

ShawkFactory
01-16-2023, 02:26 PM
No ones going to point out that he claimed football doesn't have any strategy? That was legitimately the dumbest thing of all :lol

Also said there’s no momentum changes in football :lol

SouBeachTalents
01-16-2023, 02:43 PM
Ask the Ravens about that one :lol

And no suspense in game winning situations was honestly just as dumb.

Phoenix
01-16-2023, 03:29 PM

I had to go back and re-read his post in full. Honestly, I had tuned out several sentences prior.

Phoenix
01-16-2023, 03:29 PM

:hammerhead::hammerhead:

NBAGOAT
01-16-2023, 03:35 PM
i will say it's hard to be a player fan in football, you have to stick with teams. Unless they're qbs, they likely wont have long careers and will move teams multiple times. I do love the upsets but there's appeal too in the actual best team usually winning the title in basketball. Ofc it's king in america while soccer is the most popular sport internationally but basketball has an ok balance of both

Phoenix
01-16-2023, 03:59 PM
i will say it's hard to be a player fan in football, you have to stick with teams. Unless they're qbs, they likely wont have long careers and will move teams multiple times. I do love the upsets but there's appeal too in the actual best team usually winning the title in basketball. Ofc it's king in america while soccer is the most popular sport internationally but basketball has an ok balance of both

The NFL also markets teams moreso than individual players. Even though there are obviously lots of stars, you're probably more likely to be lifelong fan of a team through thick and thin. There seems like alot more fluidity in the NBA as far as fans rooting for teams( except historic franchise like the Lakers or Celtics), which plays into the NBA more heavily marketing individuals. You're pretty much encouraged to latch onto a player early on and follow them over their careers, while 'supporting' their team for as long as they're on it.

Spurs m8
01-16-2023, 04:02 PM

Just another reason it is better.

Player fans are fvcking embarassing in team sports, especially adult player fans

NBAGOAT
01-16-2023, 04:08 PM
Just another reason it is better.

Player fans are fvcking embarassing in team sports, especially adult player fans

well a fan not living in the US doesnt have any reason to root one team over another. Often, those fans pick a team because of a player

FultzNationRISE
01-16-2023, 04:09 PM
well a fan not living in the US doesnt have any reason to root one team over another. Often, those fans pick a team because of a player

You mean like Kawhi or Derozan?

NBAGOAT
01-16-2023, 04:10 PM
The NFL also markets teams moreso than individual players. Even though there are obviously lots of stars, you're probably more likely to be lifelong fan of a team through think and thin. There seems like alot more fluidity in the NBA as far as fans rooting for teams( except historic franchise like the Lakers or Celtics), which plays into the NBA more heavily marketing individuals. You're pretty much encouraged to latch onto a player early on and follow them over their careers, while 'supporting' their team for as long as they're on it.

that's true, also those players are "less important" outside of qb. I think having games a few days a week instead of every day also makes it more enjoyable to watch but on other side it's also really hard to keep up with more than 2 teams because the games are on at the same time.

Spurs m8
01-16-2023, 04:44 PM

If you say so

Spurs m8
01-16-2023, 04:45 PM
You mean like Kawhi or Derozan?

I was a spurs fan LONG before Kawhi lol

It was a light hearted username on a forum...which was evident when they both left and I'm still a Spur..despite us being terrible

NBAGOAT
01-16-2023, 04:55 PM
If you say so

what reason is there to pick a team without geography? You pick a team as a kid based on their jersey color or mascot? Besides that it usually is because of a player. For you guessing it was someone like Duncan.

Spurs m8
01-16-2023, 05:11 PM
what reason is there to pick a team without geography? You pick a team as a kid based on their jersey color or mascot? Besides that it usually is because of a player. For you guessing it was someone like Duncan.

Yeah but there's a lot of people that want to follow a sport and aren't in geography and then many factors play into it.

For me I enjoyed the Spurs playing style and general style in general, loved the silver and black.

Where as the Philly Eagles was kind of lack of superbowl success (at the time), colors and crazy fans.

Anyway...I guess there are people where players come into it...you are right...but switching team when player leaves still doesn't sit right with me...though maybe coz it just isn't something people do in Oz sports...I'm not used to it

Plus in the end, it's a team sport, I'm just all about the team, so also can't comprehend it.

Ah well

Overdrive
01-16-2023, 05:20 PM

I prefer watching basketball over football and only played flag twice during school, but football is certainly the more strategic sport. Both can have blowouts or tight games. It's the nature of both sport's points assignment. A run can pull a game wide open or make it tight, while winning a game in club football is rare being down 2 scores it isn't in football or basketball.

Football is also definately the better product. I wouldn't say sport. I think less people would play football if there wasn't any money involved than basketball as most positions are repetitive manual labour, but the product to look at for sure has more appeal.

90% of a basketball game is useless as an uninvolved spectator. If you're not in for the beauty of the game itself there's no use watching the first 40 minutes most games. Football gives off the vibe that any possession counts and due to scarcity also any game.

Phoenix
01-16-2023, 05:31 PM
90% of a basketball game is useless as an uninvolved spectator. If you're not in for the beauty of the game itself there's no use watching the first 40 minutes most games. Football gives off the vibe that any possession counts and due to scarcity also any game.

This. There's been a number of games recently where I started the game and was then like 'you know what? I'll come back end of 3rd/start of 4th and see where it's at'. Each possession in football definitely holds more value than 100 possessions in an NBA game. I would actually argue that the prominence of the 3 pointer has made some of the finer X's and O's 'keys to the game' like out-rebounding/out-assisting your opponent or controlling turnovers a bit less vital if you can catch fire from three and the other team doesn't.

Spurs m8
01-16-2023, 06:22 PM
Agree.

Honestly, nba now you may as well just put both teams on 100 points and play the last 5 mins...

First half - in particular - actually feels pointless

SouBeachTalents
01-16-2023, 06:43 PM
This. There's been a number of games recently where I started the game and was then like 'you know what? I'll come back end of 3rd/start of 4th and see where it's at'. Each possession in football definitely holds more value than 100 possessions in an NBA game. I would actually argue that the prominence of the 3 pointer has made some of the finer X's and O's 'keys to the game' like out-rebounding/out-assisting your opponent or controlling turnovers a bit less vital if you can catch fire from three and the other team doesn't.
It's also because one play can dramatically change the outcome of a game, just look at the Bengals game last night, you simply wouldn't have that for the first 47 minutes of a basketball game. Truth be told, you wouldn't even miss anything of importance, outside of a crazy dunk or injury, if you didn't tune in until the 4th quarter of almost any basketball game.

8Ball
01-16-2023, 07:19 PM
The numbers don't lie.